• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fracking going on in your town yet?

• Thread starter Thread starter POP
  • Start date Start date
P

POP

Fight it, if you can. They are fracking soon at my parents house and they have well water. It is definitely at risk of being poisoned.

Poisoning water and land just to get some gas. F ing sickening.

By the way, if they are fracking around you, sell and move before your land may be worthless.

There is a new gas well popping within a 20 mile radius of our house every few months. Probably 10 or 15 in the past two years. You see them everywhere you go around here. There are probably 5 within a mile of my front door. So, am I gonna die soon? They've been drilling here for 3 years now........so far so good as far as no explosions or flaming faucets.

P.S. we just moved in this house 6 years ago and I'm not moving ever again.

Last edited:
There is a new gas well popping within a 20 miles radius about every few months. Probably 10 or 15 in the past two years. You see them everywhere you go around here. So, am I gonna die soon? P.S. we just moved in here 6 years ago and I'm not moving ever again.

Never said you were guaranteed to die, but history proves you are at risk of toxic elements in your water and soil. Ever see the movie "Promised Land?" Yea, yea, yea, it's only a movie, but often times movies reveal truths.

I don't wish bad things on you, brother, but just keep your eyes open and take everything into consideration. I don't want to move either, but sometimes it just makes sense.

A fracking presence isn't proven to mean automatic poisoning of land and water, but evidence definitely suggests that can happen, and all this is relatively new so we don't know what long term odds are at this point.

By the way, unlike this movie, people hardly get rich. They only offered my dad a whopping $1,000; that's hardly "getting rich."

Last edited by a moderator:
None of us like tap water anyway. We all drink bottled water, so I think we'll be fine.

We got a few thousand, but also would get a percentage if gas is found within a certain distance from our property. Pretty much the entire town went in as well. They held the meeting to enter into the agreements 3 years ago at the high school gymnasium and you couldn't have gotten another person in there with a shoe horn.

Everyone knows it is going to go on for a handful of years in a given area and then it will be gone to somewhere else. I doubt any damage that may be possibly be done to the water or soil will be permanent.

Last edited:
Drill baby, drill! I sell chemicals for fracking and oil wells. Don.t believe all the leftist hype. Besides, I'm on city water and have an RO system, so idgaf.

Fight it, if you can. They are fracking soon at my parents house and they have well water. It is definitely at risk of being poisoned.

Poisoning water and land just to get some gas. F ing sickening.

By the way, if they are fracking around you, sell and move before your land may be worthless.

Fracking doesn't cause that. If it happens now it would do the same thing before fracking.
My new favorite cousin just made a shitload of money for selling the drilling rights to some land he owns in Washington County. I don't mean a lot of money. I mean a shitload of money.

Fracking doesn't cause that. If it happens now it would do the same thing before fracking.
My new favorite cousin just made a shitload of money for selling the drilling rights to some land he owns in Washington County. I don't mean a lot of money. I mean a shitload of money.

That video was debunked years ago. ....******* years ago. Worthless thread.

Oh yeah, if you own a lot of land you are gonna rake it in. ****, like I said we got a few thousand back then and I believe we are sitting on 0.8 acres lol. I look at some of these huge properties around here and do the Math.

Oh yeah, if you own a lot of land you are gonna rake it in. ****, like I said we got a few thousand back then and I believe we are sitting on 0.8 acres lol. I look at some of these huge properties around here and do the Math.

I don't think it is how much land you own, and lease to the gas company......but how much gas it actually yields.

That video was debunked years ago. ....******* years ago. Worthless thread.

Yep.

Like the first Gasland, which showed a Colorado landowner setting his tap water on fire, the sequel appears to falsely inflate the dangers of hydraulic fracturing to local groundwater supplies. The iconic flaming faucet scene from the first Gasland was criticized as misleading by some who noted that area residents had reported flammable tap water for decades. When asked why he did not inform viewers of that fact, Fox said he didn’t think it was relevant.

Gasland Part II goes a step further: Rather than presenting naturally occurring phenomena as the result of hydraulic fracturing, it trumpets as evidence a scene deliberately concocted to frighten residents and attract media coverage. Texas’ 43rd Judicial District Court found in February 2012 that Steven Lipsky, “under the advice or direction” of Texas environmental activist Alisa Rich, “intentionally attach[ed] a garden hose to a gas vent—not a water line” and lit its contents on fire.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/gasland-director-presents-anti-fracking-hoax-as-evidence-in-new-film/

I don't think it is how much land you own, and lease to the gas company......but how much gas it actually yields.

Here it's both. People with a lot of acreage got a **** TON of money up front. When we met with the guy from the energy company, he had the dimensions of our property mapped out and told us how much we were getting up front based on the amount of land we own. When we signed the deal, he immediately started processing the transaction....like while we were still sitting there. The check came about a week later. If the land actually yields something, you get a percentage of that on top of the initial money which just gives them permission to search that area if they need to.

Last edited:
Gasland was bogus and he doubled down with another fake scene in Gasland 2. This time they just hooked a hose up to a gas vent directly and claimed it was a water line.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bn3alMSIecE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A private club I am a member of in Ohio gave leasing rights to drill on land we own - I am still waiting for my check. Millions divided by 400 members, I demand at least $10,000 by next summer

A private club I am a member of in Ohio gave leasing rights to drill on land we own - I am still waiting for my check. Millions divided by 400 members, I demand at least $10,000 by next summer

With these depleted gas prices, you may end up with a case of beer instead.

Fire water isn't the problem with fracking. Earthquakes are the problem. As much as I am all for utilizing our natural resources and fossil fuels to help get energy independent, there really is no denying that fracking causes additional earthquakes. I work out here in OKC (for an electric utility and mid-stream natural gas company) and the earthquakes were getting ridiculous - tons more of them and much bigger. They put a freeze on fracking a year or so ago and the numbers have already dropped dramatically. Not sure if they will find a new way to get the oil and gas out of the earth but they need to. We have plenty to be energy independent but fracking probably isn't the best option.

Your parents are at very little risk of being poisoned, so you can rest easy. In the thousands of wells that have been drilled there have been a couple of surface spilling incidents, but there is ZERO evidence that fracking fluid migrates from fracking wells through thousands of feet of rock and gets into drinking water wells which are a couple of hundred feet deep. Has never happened.

Its documented fact that the dep in pa withheld pollutants that fracking absolutely do contaminate water with under the pretense that they werent toxic so they werent required to include them in reports... And one was trace amounts of methane... The wastewater has contaminated rivers like the mon and it does cause seismic activity...

Im no enviromentalist, but fracking is reckless and dangerous and unneeded right now. Its a money grab plain and simple... Its only banned from places the wealthy live, like upstream of new Yorks water supply for a reason...

Its documented fact that the dep in pa withheld pollutants that fracking absolutely do contaminate water with under the pretense that they werent toxic so they werent required to include them in reports... And one was trace amounts of methane... The wastewater has contaminated rivers like the mon and it does cause seismic activity...

Pollution from fracking comes from faulty cement or metal "sleeves" where the pipeline gets close to ground level and encounters the water table. Such pollution obviously occurs - it must, given the number of fracking sites - but as is true in any analysis of the cost and benefit, we need to know how much pollution is occurring, at what cost to fix, and compare that to the benefits of fracking in bringing highly-efficient and cost-effective gas to the market.

Such pollution may be more likely due to simple spills involving trucks moving the fracking chemicals, and dumping those chemicals onto the surface, where they migrate into the groundwater. Again, I don't doubt that some pollution occurs with fracking, but the concept of significant groundwater pollution due to fracking is just not supported by the evidence. One New York Times article (linked below) noted, "In one study of 200 private water wells in the fracking regions of Pennsylvania, water quality was the same before and soon after drilling in all wells except one. The only surprise from that study was that many of the wells failed drinking water regulations before drilling started."

Im no enviromentalist, but fracking is reckless and dangerous and unneeded right now. Its a money grab plain and simple... Its only banned from places the wealthy live, like upstream of new Yorks water supply for a reason...

Fracking would not be occurring if it were unnecessary. Fracking is taking place because the process recovers a lot of natural gas, a very good energy supply, at very reasonable prices. The decline in natural gas prices over the past 8 years is due in significant part to the gas reaching the market due to fracking.

111015i1.png

This is the excellent article on fracking I noted earlier that covers the costs, including pollution and accidents, and benefits of fracking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/opinion/global/the-facts-on-fracking.html?_r=0

The decline in natural gas prices over the past 8 years is due in significant part to the INCREDIBLE ECONOMIC GROWTH DUE TO OBAMA ECONOMIC POLICY.

Fixed it!

None of us like tap water anyway. We all drink bottled water, so I think we'll be fine.

We got a few thousand, but also would get a percentage if gas is found within a certain distance from our property. Pretty much the entire town went in as well. They held the meeting to enter into the agreements 3 years ago at the high school gymnasium and you couldn't have gotten another person in there with a shoe horn.

Everyone knows it is going to go on for a handful of years in a given area and then it will be gone to somewhere else. I doubt any damage that may be possibly be done to the water or soil will be permanent.

Everyone loves the idea of money for nothing, so it sucks people in. But they pump millions of gallons with toxic chemicals into the soil. What happens if those toxins leak into the water table? Poison. It has lead to land just turning brown, not capable of growing any plants.

If I start trusting big energy now, it would be the first time in 2 decades. They are total liars who can't be trusted; all they care about is profits and F the people.

Pollution from fracking comes from faulty cement or metal "sleeves" where the pipeline gets close to ground level and encounters the water table. Such pollution obviously occurs - it must, given the number of fracking sites - but as is true in any analysis of the cost and benefit, we need to know how much pollution is occurring, at what cost to fix, and compare that to the benefits of fracking in bringing highly-efficient and cost-effective gas to the market.

Such pollution may be more likely due to simple spills involving trucks moving the fracking chemicals, and dumping those chemicals onto the surface, where they migrate into the groundwater. Again, I don't doubt that some pollution occurs with fracking, but the concept of significant groundwater pollution due to fracking is just not supported by the evidence. One New York Times article (linked below) noted, "In one study of 200 private water wells in the fracking regions of Pennsylvania, water quality was the same before and soon after drilling in all wells except one. The only surprise from that study was that many of the wells failed drinking water regulations before drilling started."

Fracking would not be occurring if it were unnecessary. Fracking is taking place because the process recovers a lot of natural gas, a very good energy supply, at very reasonable prices. The decline in natural gas prices over the past 8 years is due in significant part to the gas reaching the market due to fracking.

111015i1.png

This is the excellent article on fracking I noted earlier that covers the costs, including pollution and accidents, and benefits of fracking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/opinion/global/the-facts-on-fracking.html?_r=0

And if people end up with toxic water, what then?

And if people end up with toxic water, what then?

As is true with any negligence or fault, the party or parties responsible pay (1) for clean-up and (2) damages caused by the pollution.

One area of law on pollution is known as "CERCLA," the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act , holding in part that any owner of land that is deemed polluted is responsible for clean-up costs.

EPA has three basic options under CERCLA when confronting a situation requiring a response. The EPA:

1. May conduct the response itself and seek to recover its costs from the Potentially Responsible Parties (PRPs) in a subsequent cost-recovery action;
2. Can compel PRPs to perform the cleanup themselves through either administrative or judicial proceedings; or
3. Can enter into a settlement with PRPs to perform all or portions of the work.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/com...n-and-liability-act-cercla-and-federal#Basics of CERCLA

In other words, the same rules for compensation and reimbursement that govern every other aspect of our lives.

Look, **** happens. People die in accidents involving food delivery, and fuel delivery, and medical delivery, and every other delivery.

We have worked out a system understanding that those harmed should be compensated by the party causing the harm, and that insurance pays such costs. The party who is benefitting will pay for such insurance as a cost of doing business.

If a fracking entity causes significant groundwater intrusion - something that has yet to happen - then that party will be bankrupted, driven out of business, and its insurance carriers will be liable for millions of dollars of clean-up and damages related to the contamination.

The fracking entities have a strong financial incentive to avoid doing harm, as delivery companies have an incentive to avoid accidents. But accidents will still happen.

My point is that compensating those harmed by the negligent actors is the way to go, since it compensates those harmed while allowing the beneficial industry to continue.

Oh, and guess who will step up and represent the victims of negligent frackers?? Why those sniveling, lying, greedy lawyers ... funny how that works, ehh?