• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................@ Vikings....

Clark is pretty much speaking the obvious.

I mean, Claypool looked like basically wanted to fight Kendrick Green for interrupting his first down celebration.

Claypool is a total head case, but he is going to keep getting playing time because of his talent and potential.

Sadly, I see him heading down the same path as AB and Martavis. If anyone needs a mentor at this point, it's him. As Clark points out, Claypool could be a significant, impact wideout for many years to come, in the mold of Calvin Johnson or Mike Evans, but could also get derailed in a hurry if he doesn't get his mind right.

Two different levels of fail. Even when falling short our team manages to stay at or above .500. Steelers will pay him and well to boot.

We'll see how the season ends and how next season goes, but it could get ugly enough for him to weigh his options.

The defense has been getting destroyed for a month now. Heyward cannot maintain his level of play much longer, Devin Bush has busted, and Tuitt and Haden may not be back next year.

The players are not looking as strong around Fitzpatrick as when he arrived in 2019, and he may not want to be part of a rebuild.

Well this game was nothing but SUCK for 3 Quarters......Our Steelers just looked drained but after the effort tonight I'm pretty damn proud of the fight on this team. We have a CB in Akhello Whitherspoon he's got the physical attributes to take on any WR in the NFL. My only question is why did it take so long to get this kid on the field.....I mean Cam Sutton is nothing special. Defense devastated by injuries as TJ Watt & Alex Highsmith both went down......they kept fighting with Tzuska & Charlton and Taco didn't look too bad out there. He's got a pretty good motor. Also the Steelers D-line is a work in progress but I like Montravious Adams he seems pretty strong at the point of attack and he needs to get more playtime in the middle. Going forward on the D-line I like to see Heyward, Adams, Loudermilk & Wormley. As I watched the first 3 Quarters unfold I just thought this team was too beat up by the Ratbirds on Sunday and had nothing left in the tank.....to my surprise the offense started to cook late in the 3rd QTR a 3yd TD from Ben to Harris to make it 29-7. The SUCK in Cousins is strong with him....tossing an INT on their first play following made me chuckle and think hey we got a chance then minutes later it's 29-14. Najee Harris made it 29-20 and I hated the decision to go for 2 but hey it was what it was. Unfortunately Cam Sutton blew chunks on the next play allowing a momentum killing 67 yd TD by KJ Osbourne to the Vikes to go up 36-20....I thought that was it but the Steelers faught back with a TD by Freiermuth 36-28. Seeing Jordan Berry punt the ball deep on the Steelers to the 3yd line.....a last chance effort for the Steelers but to Ben and the Steelers credit they dove it 85 yds to the 12 yd line......with 3 seconds to go and Ben called the perfect play.....had Freiermuth open over the middle in the endzone....the ball couldn't have been placed better in Muth's hands it was a great throw, Muth even had possesssion but the Vikes 3 Defenders converged and Harrison Smith ripped it out of the hands of Muth and the ball game ended in heartbreak....with a 36-28 loss. Nothing I would have loved more than to complete the comback and see Cousins CHOKE with game away with his ability to SUCK. It was an exciting game at the end for anyone who stayed awake to watch it....I was on the edge of my seat just hoping for the best....we almost had it tonight but just came up a bit short. Someone please explain to me why Pressley Harvin has not been cut and replaced? I mean seriously Tomlin....admit ya ****** UP and cut this bum! I have a feeling this team is going to upset the Titans in 10 days in Tennessee if Tomlin. I was listening to Cam Heyward in his Post Game and he was adamant that the Defensive front 7 need to beat their man to the blocks. I will say one thing Devin Bush had a batter game tonight but he made some terrible choices all night but perhaps none worse than he effortless attempt to engage the lead blocker on the 23rd play from scimmage as Dalvin Cook ran for 20 yards you can clearly see Devin Bush with the opportunity to slam the lead blockers and instead he lets the lead blocker more less push him out of the way with little to no effort to stand the guy up.....that really is the glaring problem in his game....I'll call it a lack of heart and effort.....He needs to play mean and protect his space and he doesn't do that. If these are Ben's last few games I'm really enjoying watching him play and show the critics that he can still do it. He's got a pretty young and immature offense in front of him......really no veterans. And he's leading the offense like only Ben can do. I'm still not a Matt Canada fan and that guy can go at the end of the season. Oh well I guess it's on to Tennessee.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
TJ Watt - Groin being evaluated
Alex Highsmith - Quad Inury unable to return

Game Balls:
Ben Roethlisberger - 28 for 40 308 yds 3 TD's 1 INT - If he is only playing 4 more games I'm going to enjoy each one.....Love Big Ben
Najee Harris - My god I hope they find this kid an O-line to run behind he's damn good! 20 rushes 94 yds 3 rec 10 yd 2 TD's
Ahkello Witherspoon - 2 INT's....we have ourselves a CB!
Minkah Fitzpatrick - This guy is a man among boys out there along with Cam Heyward. Minkah had 3 great PBU's tonight.....one was a BS penalty in the endzone too.

Game Goats:
Chase Claypool - He's one selfish st00pid MF'er. 10 penaties this season against him. Tonight the first down celebration after the catch with the clock ticking while he's signaling and celebrating his first down catch cost the Steelers an extra play tonight....would have made a difference....I don't know but that was just dumb Chase! GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ***!
Steelers O-Line especially Kendrick Green - My god Green was terrible snapping the football tonight especially in the 4th QTR....Ben saved some errant snaps I counted at least 8 of them.
Cam Sutton - Got beat by Jefferson all night. Really killed the team giving up a 67yd TD after the Steelers pulled the score to 29-20 with 10 minutes to go........he really sucked tonight. Ahkello Witherspoon.....why has this kid been on our bench all season without being give a chance? He played great tonight. It James Pierre worse than Sutton?
Steelers Defensive Front 7......MY GOD I THOUGHT DAVLIN COOK was going to have 300yds for the game after the first quarter.....he was ripping off run too many to count for 15+ YPC in the first half.....that **** just can't happen. Cam Heyward says LB'ers & D-line need to get off their blocks and fill their gaps and they aren't coming close to being able to do that.....
Pressley Harvin - My god this kid SUCKS! We can't sign anyone who is worse! Let this bum go! Seeing Jordan Berry punt to the 3yd line and put the Steelers in a hole to start the final drive is what you should expect from your punter. I'd love to know what Tomlin was thinking about Berry after that punt?

FU's:
Kick Cousins - I just wish ya had a little more SUCK in you tonight!

EXCELLENT write up Chicoman, thank you for these.!

I'd have to add Coaching staff, Claypool is a second year player and should be past this undiciplined bullshit. Play calling,...... do we not have more than 15 plays available? STs are not getting it done, why can't Harvin be coached up.? Defensive adjustments and Bush still on the field with a great cheap FA available from Houston available out there.

Lots of positives and YES Mr. Roethlesberger proves once again he is one of the greatest.

Salute the nation

I’m tired of Ray Ray returning kicks. Can we just never take one out of the end zone again cause our guys live to chop block
He has some punt returner skill sets...but not so much as a kickoff returner..

James Washington. The kid showed why many of us here were rooting for him. He knows how to catch at the high point and make contested catches. That TD route and catch was a thing of beauty. His last catch, the kid was trying to carry 3 defenders on his back.
Witherspoon needs to be opposite of Haden when he comes back.

FLAG on the play

Proper use of compliments,................................. 3 extra beers hand delivered by wife at next STEELERS game viewing.!

Salute the nation

I'll probably get ridiculed for this, but I've become increasingly annoyed by the general approach and attitude of young players coming into the league, including a whole boatload of our own players. For decades it seemed, players would be happy to get drafted, work their ***** off for years, achieve some success, get rewarded with more money, more security, longer term contracts. The very best became leaders on their teams, led them to playoff and SB glory. The cream of the crop made the Pro Bowl, and there were numerous *stars* around the NFL, who became rich & famous due to their talent and on-field achievement.

Past few years, seems every ******* rookie coming in is automatically a made man. Everyone's flaunting their cash on Instagram, posing with luxury cars & clothing, flashing the bling. Look around the league, look at social media, even mediocre players project starpower, wealth & success even if they've done exactly *jack ***** in their young careers. Some are barely even playing, yet they're acting like they're Jay ******* Z. On our own team, I noticed a player like Isaiah Buggs, who came in as a sixth round pick in 2019, barely made the squad, is nowhere near being an established NFL player or star, yet he's posing on Instagram with Bentleys, gold chains around his neck, acting like a rap star. JuJu and Claypool same thing, following AB's footsteps. Everything's about the brand. Not the Steelers' brand, or even the NFL brand, but their own personal brand.

It seems this attitude has permeated, and has affected a large swath of players in the NFL and other professional sports. The way our DB's pose & preen for the cameras. What a ******* joke. Everything's superficial. Look at all the player pictures they post on the official Steelers FB and Insta accounts on gamedays. It's players dressed to kill, wearing flashy clothes, getting ready to board the plane, or arriving in the stadium. The NFL has turned into a ******* Fashion Show. All bells and whistles, smoke and mirrors. Achieving credible, legitimate star power by on-field performance has disappeared. You can't tell the difference between a true star from a ****** bench player who hardly plays. They're all flaunting their wealth, all pretending to be God damn superstars. It's like success is granted, it's a given, comes on a silver plate. Just get on an NFL team, boom, you've made it big. Humility, hard work, a lunchpail attitude, respecting the game, the tradition, the coaches, the veterans all seems to have dissipated. Perhaps for good.

Alright, rant off. Sorry.

This is 100% dead on balls accurate. Just frame this and make it a sticky.

Gotta get this off my chest, ever since I heard Diontae Johnson say last week that he thinks the Steelers have the *best receiver group in the NFL.*

Really? Take a peek at the Cowboys with Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup & CeeDee Lamb. That crew is way better than our crew. Buccaneers? Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown. Better than our crew. Vikings? Adam Thielen, Justin Jefferson, KJ Osborn. Better. Rams? Cooper Kupp, Robert Wood, Van Jefferson. Better. Bengals? Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd. Better.

My point being, there seems to be some serious delusion happening with our team. See it on defense too, where there still seems to be an attitude that we're some sort of top 5 defense or something. This defense has gotten their ***** handed to them for the better part of the season. The one thing we seem to be good at is racking up sacks. That's it.

Our O-line and ST may be bottom 5 in the league.

The faster team brass, coaches and players are able to view this team realistically, without rose-colored glasses on, the sooner they'll get around to fixing all that ails us.

It reminded me of a game ,I believe it was 2005 near the start of the season vs the Eagles. The eagles sent everyone and the kitchen sink. Sacked Ben 9-10 times. It looked like they had no line at all. Most of it was scheme because they turned it around. This is obviously not getting turned around. You'd need new staff for that.
Yup. 5 & 7 step drops every pass. All receivers running 20 yard routes. Square peg round hole.

Gotta get this off my chest, ever since I heard Diontae Johnson say last week that he thinks the Steelers have the *best receiver group in the NFL.*

Really? Take a peek at the Cowboys with Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup & CeeDee Lamb. That crew is way better than our crew. Buccaneers? Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown. Better than our crew. Vikings? Adam Thielen, Justin Jefferson, KJ Osborn. Better. Rams? Cooper Kupp, Robert Wood, Van Jefferson. Better. Bengals? Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd. Better.

My point being, there seems to be some serious delusion happening with our team. See it on defense too, where there still seems to be an attitude that we're some sort of top 5 defense or something. This defense has gotten their ***** handed to them for the better part of the season. The one thing we seem to be good at is racking up sacks. That's it.

Our O-line and ST may be bottom 5 in the league.

The faster team brass, coaches and players are able to view this team realistically, without rose-colored glasses on, the sooner they'll get around to fixing all that ails us.

I think that is the team thing. Defense says all the time and constantly to each other, “your the best in the world” that was brought by TJ. That is something he talked about before one of the night games. Maybe it is a saying on both sides of the ball?

Yup. 5 & 7 step drops every pass. All receivers running 20 yard routes. Square peg round hole.
And the best, when the QB is getting destroyed and they show the reverse angle camera from behind the QB and line looking downfield there isn't a single receiver who's back isn't to the QB as he's getting gang-sacked.

I'll probably get ridiculed for this, but I've become increasingly annoyed by the general approach and attitude of young players coming into the league, including a whole boatload of our own players. For decades it seemed, players would be happy to get drafted, work their ***** off for years, achieve some success, get rewarded with more money, more security, longer term contracts. The very best became leaders on their teams, led them to playoff and SB glory. The cream of the crop made the Pro Bowl, and there were numerous *stars* around the NFL, who became rich & famous due to their talent and on-field achievement.

Past few years, seems every ******* rookie coming in is automatically a made man. Everyone's flaunting their cash on Instagram, posing with luxury cars & clothing, flashing the bling. Look around the league, look at social media, even mediocre players project starpower, wealth & success even if they've done exactly *jack ***** in their young careers. Some are barely even playing, yet they're acting like they're Jay ******* Z. On our own team, I noticed a player like Isaiah Buggs, who came in as a sixth round pick in 2019, barely made the squad, is nowhere near being an established NFL player or star, yet he's posing on Instagram with Bentleys, gold chains around his neck, acting like a rap star. JuJu and Claypool same thing, following AB's footsteps. Everything's about the brand. Not the Steelers' brand, or even the NFL brand, but their own personal brand.

It seems this attitude has permeated, and has affected a large swath of players in the NFL and other professional sports. The way our DB's pose & preen for the cameras. What a ******* joke. Everything's superficial. Look at all the player pictures they post on the official Steelers FB and Insta accounts on gamedays. It's players dressed to kill, wearing flashy clothes, getting ready to board the plane, or arriving in the stadium. The NFL has turned into a ******* Fashion Show. All bells and whistles, smoke and mirrors. Achieving credible, legitimate star power by on-field performance has disappeared. You can't tell the difference between a true star from a ****** bench player who hardly plays. They're all flaunting their wealth, all pretending to be God damn superstars. It's like success is granted, it's a given, comes on a silver plate. Just get on an NFL team, boom, you've made it big. Humility, hard work, a lunchpail attitude, respecting the game, the tradition, the coaches, the veterans all seems to have dissipated. Perhaps for good.

Alright, rant off. Sorry.
Tibs, this is a very true assessment and, unfortunately, it's not affecting just the NFL - what we see is only a small microcosm of the "big picture".

Long, long, long story short - 99% of athletes come from under-privileged backgrounds and in their moment of 'making it' (because our school systems do not want to teach, let me rephrase, EMPHASIZE, the value of economics anymore); these kids become haughty/flashy because they truly don't know the value of a dollar and the true shelf-life of an athlete.

I've said this many times dating back to my first days as a member here - the NFL is based on the concept of the gladiators of Rome. Fact. Team owners know that this is strictly a business and, unfortunately, not every 'chosen' player gets that memo or does enough research until it's too late.

Gone are the days of the 'for the love of the game' players - they are realizing that they need to make the money while they can...

Tibs, this is a very true assessment and, unfortunately, it's not affecting just the NFL - what we see is only a small microcosm of the "big picture".

Long, long, long story short - 99% of athletes come from under-privileged backgrounds and in their moment of 'making it' (because our school systems do not want to teach, let me rephrase, EMPHASIZE, the value of economics anymore); these kids become haughty/flashy because they truly don't know the value of a dollar and the true shelf-life of an athlete.

I've said this many times dating back to my first days as a member here - the NFL is based on the concept of the gladiators of Rome. Fact. Team owners know that this is strictly a business and, unfortunately, not every 'chosen' player gets that memo or does enough research until it's too late.

Gone are the days of the 'for the love of the game' players - they are realizing that they need to make the money while they can...

They need money managers. Hell even a punter can be set playing this game. I think the rate was around 50% of NFL players who end up bankrupt within 5 years after they retire.

Hard to have empathy for those who squander winning the life lottery.

As a fan I wish the NFL would have stayed much smaller. The product was 10 times better for the loyal customers.

They need money managers. Hell even a punter can be set playing this game. I think the rate was around 50% of NFL players who end up bankrupt within 5 years after they retire.

As a fan I wish the NFL would have stayed much smaller. The product was 10 times better for the loyal customers.
I remember reading that the NFL has some things in place for these kids. Far as money management etc. The school systems dumbed down the curriculums but.... who was the teacher on the Nation that pointed out a child and parental lack of want to? You have to factor that in as well. These underprivileged kids have to want to learn. And they need a parental support system worth a damn.

50% bankrupt within 5 years. I have no idea if this stat is true, but it is obviously a big percentage. Another interesting stat would be the percentage of divorce within 5-10 years after football life is done. Geee I wonder if that contributes to a players bankruptcy. I think you’d have to be a fool if you got married during your football career. Or at least an ironclad prenup.

Problem is these guys live like multi millionaires and they only make the extraordinary income for a few years unlike true multimiionaires who increase their incomes as they get older.

Problem is these guys live like multi millionaires and they only make the extraordinary income for a few years unlike true multimiionaires who increase their incomes as they get older.
Elon Musk - the richest man in the world - lives in a $50k prefab house.

What the NFL ought to mandate is that any player with less than 6 years under their belt only "gets" 1/2 their salary. The rest is held aside in long-term low-risk investments and they can then draw on it annually in installments designed to last the player for the rest of his life. Basically, the lottery "installment" plan. After 5 years, they can decide what percentage (with a minimum percentage required) they want to dedicate to the investment pool.

Players will ***** about it, but at the end of the day, given the statistical probability that more than less will squander their income... Sometimes you have to make the rules for the children.

The above would significantly reduce the ginormous amount of cash 20-somethings are handed when they sign their first contract, AND set up a life-long revenue stream for them that will allow them to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

And, since player A no longer just "gets" 20 million dollars when he signs, it may be less likely that he becomes the target of scam artists, leeches and shady business sharks.

Wig, this is America. You have the liberty to squander or save your money as you fit. As well as earn as much as someone will pay you.

Lets try to keep it that way.

Wig, this is America. You have the liberty to squander or save your money as you fit. As well as earn as much as someone will pay you.

Lets try to keep it that way.

Just don't feel sorry for them when they're broke or whine about putting food on the table.

If everyone is going the mercenary route, then I suppose no fan should feel guilty about giving players **** about poor performance. Coaches included. Let em have it..lol.

All we really care about is winning championships. As many as possible. It's the highest peak of entertainment for the sports fan.