• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..............vs Jets..........week 4

Claypool plays MUCH smaller than his 6-4, 238 size. He rarely highpoint a ball, instead preferring to catch it against his body and thus negating his height.

That guy should be a monster to cover. Instead, he can be outmuscled by much, much smaller DBs.

It’s not a big deal. Probably nervous on his first NFL pass. This kind of thing will probably happen more often than not until he gets comfortable with the speed of the game.
Good point on the first NFL pass. It also didn't impact the game in the grand scheme and was probably a positive since Fitzpatrick got the ball right back for the Steelers and they punched it in for a score.

Claypool plays MUCH smaller than his 6-4, 238 size. He rarely highpoint a ball, instead preferring to catch it against his body and thus negating his height.

Claypool responds:

3798887394_e265a7c4d4.jpg

"I'm not soft. I'm tough, tough, tough."

Cool shades should have Claypool in his office, reduced to tears. He won't say a thing to him, though.

As I said in the game thread, if Pickett throws it outside the numbers where Claypool can run under it it’s a touchdown. Ball was under thrown and Claypool had to stop for it giving coverage time to get there. Sure, he could have fought harder and probably still should have caught it, but a better throw is an easy TD. Pickett threw it to him rather than throwing him open.
But what's ironic is...instead of working Pickett into the game with the short passing offense for which the Steelers have become so infamous, his first NFL throw is instead 40 yards downfield. On a first-and-ten.

Then, late in the game, with a 3-point lead and well into field goal range, instead of their patented run up the middle for 1-4 yards, they try a ridiculous attempt at a toss/sweep seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, a play which Kenny evidently needs much more practice running. Imagine that.

It's like the ******* Bizarro World of play-calling.

kenny made some plays but ultimately he did cost the steelers the game with his INT intended for Freiermuth. If Mitch made that play he's getting killed right now. I get it, Kenny is a rookie so of course you cut some slack. I just hope some people who were blinded by Mitch hatred now start to see that this offense has issues that simply switching QBs won't fix.

This team has no situational awareness on offense or defense. It's a joke how many 3rd and longs this defense gives up.

Why did Canada go away from the run game? Najee averaged 4.1 and Warren looked good too. They have the 20-17 lead and you then call 6 passes and just 1 run and the drive ends with Pickett INT. Again, no situational awareness. Youre defense just gave up a long drive. They have been getting worn down at end of games. Your run game is actually working today and you have a rookie QB. Yeah, let's pass pass pass.

How many points did the offense really score today? I say they scored 10. Because that FG at end of half was a gift due to a stupid roughing the passer and Minkah gift wrapped a TD with an INT return to the 4. So this offense really had 2 scoring drives today....against the Jets, and they had 10 days to prepare

Good write up but My FU's to Tomlin and Bush. Bush is everything that is wrong with this team. His *** should be gone and it starts. He is an embarrassment to the uniform.

**** gunner

I wish they had drafted Marcus Jones

but I do love what Leal has been bringing to the DL with the 3rd round pick

hopefully kenny gets better with more playing time

or canada gets fired
And may I add Mr. Leal was drafted from that fine Texas institution Texas A&M.

Gameballs: Minkah and Boz
Goats: Claypool, DJ, Bush
FUs: Coaching all of them

Another ****** loss. I'm not going to be able to sleep ripping out 4 letter words. Someone has to sing me a lullabye for me to sleep. :)

Rock-a-bye Steelers, in the treetop
When the wind blows, Tomlin will rock
When the bough breaks, the hammer will fall
And down will come Tomlin, coach's and all

Game balls.... Pickett.

Game FU.......Who decides for Boz to kick the ball short or to the sidelines on kick offs? That guy needs to be let go. We have issues in this area week in and week out. Why not simply kick the ball deep on every KO?

The coaches that didn't make any adjustments to what the Jets were doing in the fourth quarter.

And lastly. I don't know if it cost us the game, but our players inside of 2 minutes twice got boo boo's and time had to be stopped to have them looked at. TOs were accessed to us. This took TOs away from us and gave the Jets extra time. `

The management of this game has Tomlins fingerprints all over it. We see this frequently. The game has passed Tomlin by. There, I said it.

The DB is 5'8" and Claypool is 6'4" with a wingspan similar to Calvin Johnson & Julio Jones. Say what you will about this throw by Pickett....IMO it's not into Double Coverage...The Safety was 5 yards behind the throw......

Claypool should be using his arms & 6'4" frame to block out tht DB who is 8" shorter than Claypool......I'm sorry Claypool is SOFT and he needs to be called out for this poor effort on this throw.

Ball hit Claypool in both hands and it was like he handed the ball to the defender. Plays like that should be considered fumbles, not interceptions.

Game balls:
Highsmith: still getting pressure w-o TJ
Minkah: balkhawk and big play waiting to happen at any moment

F. U.’s:
Claypool: what a bag of hot air.
Penalties: killed several drives
Defense: luv Cam but doesn’t look himself. No one but Minkah seems to be in position to make plays

Grey area: o- line started to make running lanes for Harris, but the penalties are terrible. Multiple illegal downfields today. Still have to give ‘em a F.U. I guess
Highsmith? He wiffed on two potential sacks because he left his feet.

The management of this game has Tomlins fingerprints all over it. We see this frequently. The game has passed Tomlin by. There, I said it.
I disagree.

Tomlin was never ahead of the game in the first place.

Our #1 WR is unreliable. UNRELIABLE.

Our #2 WR Cannot take advantage of his physical attributes by applying simple technique.

Our ILB, former QB of the D, is a nonparticipant during game days, except for the fact that he is out on the field.

These were all high draft picks, some, very expensive.

Players play, Coaches coach, nobody is getting any better, and the Team is playing worse.

Film Maker/Dancer Ju Ju Smith Shuster- KC Chiefs says that he learned more about offense in his short time at Kansas City than he did in his 5 years at Pittsburgh.

Players Play, Coaches Coach, and Ben Roethlisberger still has never had a losing season.

This team is not worthy of my time.

Highsmith? He wiffed on two potential sacks because he left his feet.

You’re 1000% right. I have just been impressed with his pressure without TJ. Everyone was wondering what he’d do without him getting the attention. He’s getting there and getting sacks. But yes, he should have had a couple yesterday he whiffed on. Wilson is very shifty too.

One of my long standing knocks on Tomlin is tgat his staffs don’t teach fundamentals well… it’s why we can’t tackle and our best dbs come from external development … for years arians developed wrs and Qbs great… and Munch is a known ol guru…

Also I don’t get the oversubstitution thing… making guys run on and off the field every play isn’t keeping them fresh.. they need to be less specialized play to play because it gets easier to read personnel and figure out the plays we are running… we have guys jog off the field then run back on a play later…