• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........Week 1 @ Atlanta

I thought Warren didn't get many touches because he's still coming back from a hamstring injury. Originally, he wasn't supposed to be back for this game.

^^^THIS^^^

Pretty sure they were being cautious with him due to exactly what you are saying.

Salute the nation

So…one guy that has probably had the most negativity spread on him by the Steeler Nation in the last couple years was not even mentioned today unless I missed it. Which is a good thing for him. Dan Moore Jr.
Was a pretty good Oline showing for the most part. Daniels gave up a sack, Anderson too. Some things to like overall.

Tomlins wet dream come true. Run ball. A couple turnovers. Run clock.

We matched the 18 points per game that we averaged last year.
But they could have had 21 if Tomlin had simply kicked the field goal to go up by 8 points with 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter. That decision was bad to start with, and the actual play was a complete disaster.

Chico summed it up nicely.

- Great game from Watt and the defense. Jackson is the upgrade at cornerback that they needed to solidify things. Queen and Wilson are quality additions as well, although I thought Queen was more of a big playmaker.

- The offense was unable to finish drives, but they seemed to be able to move the football well at times. The officiating did them no favors. That pass interference on Pickens on 3rd-and-9 was a bullshlt call, and cost the Steelers 38 yards (with 10 more back on the penalty) and a first down in the red zone. Instead they had to punt. That was a perfect throw by FIelds, and it's a shame it didn't count. I just generally felt better about the competency of the offense with the play-action passing game, and Fields' ability to pick up yards with his legs. There were some questionable play calls, but at least there is a blueprint of a recognizable offensive game plan in place.

- Obviously the game was won on special teams with the leg of Boswell. He had me worried after an off year in 2022, but whatever the problem was, it's clearly been corrected. It really sucks that Cameron Johnston got hurt. He was a huge upgrade over Harvin.

Overall an encouraging start to the season with a solid road win -- today it was fun to watch Steelers football again.

Tomlin plays a conservative offense and relies on his defense. We win 9 games during the regular season.....against the upper echelon teams in the playoffs.....how have we faired. Tomlin's style of play to this point without inherited players and coaches .....has netted many non-losing seasons......not much else though. Maybe this season he learns from his past failures and ecolves into an all around HC. Not just for the regular season but post season.

I will say...what I saw feom our defense today gives me some hope.

Again, your first sentence mirrors Chin’s philosophy and pretty much every successful franchise MO. That hasn’t changed, even with rules being changed to favor offenses. I guess you missed the last several years graphic of the defense being in the top 10 in scoring defense (sole exception being 2021). “Inherited players”…? Give me a break, he’s been the HC for 18 years. There is overlap on every franchise HC. Even more so on pretty much every other team.

Will have to respectfully agree to disagree on your viewpoint. Obviously you are anti-Tomlin, which is fine, everyone has an opinion. I’d just look at the last decade of SB winners. Besides, KC and NE, you have the sprinkled single win LAR, PHI, and TB teams. Franchise QBs run the league. We haven’t had one since before 2021. Tomlin needs to win playoff games, period. Art2 has publically expressed it. Something neither Dan, nor his father EVER did.

Again, your first sentence mirrors Chin’s philosophy and pretty much every successful franchise MO. That hasn’t changed, even with rules being changed to favor offenses. I guess you missed the last several years graphic of the defense being in the top 10 in scoring defense (sole exception being 2021). “Inherited players”…? Give me a break, he’s been the HC for 18 years. There is overlap on every franchise HC. Even more so on pretty much every other team.

Will have to respectfully agree to disagree on your viewpoint. Obviously you are anti-Tomlin, which is fine, everyone has an opinion. I’d just look at the last decade of SB winners. Besides, KC and NE, you have the sprinkled single win LAR, PHI, and TB teams. Franchise QBs run the league. We haven’t had one since before 2021. Tomlin needs to win playoff games, period. Art2 has publically expressed it. Something neither Dan, nor his father EVER did.
Tomlin's success came with the coaches and players he Inherited......you can't dispel that truth. And I agree. Tomlin's philosophy mirrors Cowher’s.....but today's game is different than when Cowher was a coach. You can obviously can win with that philosophy. Tomlin gets his every year but if amd when the Steelers reach the playoffs they are out matched by a team that embraces the new rules that favor offense. We have gotten owned by the Chiefs....Bills...of the league. Rooney is a joke. He only cares about $$$$$. Extending Tomlin only showed that. We have 4 more seasons at a minimum of a Tomlin led team now.

Hopefully Tomlin will evolve as a HC this season. Learn from his failures. The good ones always do. We are still waiting on Tomlin though. Rooney has given him 4 more years to show us.

So…one guy that has probably had the most negativity spread on him by the Steeler Nation in the last couple years was not even mentioned today unless I missed it. Which is a good thing for him. Dan Moore Jr.
Or is it a bad thing that the Steelers used consecutive 1st round picks on OTs?

Boring game to watch.

I need to give some love to Zack Frazier. He had some great blocks on the day and loved his athleticism on the pulls. Hoping that he develops into another legend in Steeler's lore at the Center position.

Just giving credit where credit is due. He had a good game and should be mentioned. As far as your comment…..who knows if the lightbulb gets turned on for Dan in year four. One good game does not dispel 20 lousy games or whatever the number is. As far as I’m concerned you can never have enough valuable guys in the trenches. Whether it be for injuries or huge contracts/free agent departures. One thing I guarantee is they won’t use a #1 on an OT next draft.

This was my highlight as well. Very pleasantly shocked at Dan's performance...

Game Goats:
Arthur Smith - Giving him a goat because he needs to give Jaylen Warren more play time and more touches out there.
I would blame this on him returning from a hammy injury v anything else. Najee ran really well and ******* angry yesterday.

Fields left a lot to be desired. He had problems hitting open receivers and used mostly check downs. When he let it fly, good things happened. At some point we are going to play a team that is going to score more than 10 points and we will need TDs to win. The game plan was safe and it happened to work. It may work next week too against a Denver team in transition.

The defense played very well except for the opening drive but still held them to 3.

Just giving credit where credit is due. He had a good game and should be mentioned. As far as your comment…..who knows if the lightbulb gets turned on for Dan in year four. One good game does not dispel 20 lousy games or whatever the number is. As far as I’m concerned you can never have enough valuable guys in the trenches. Whether it be for injuries or huge contracts/free agent departures. One thing I guarantee is they won’t use a #1 on an OT next draft.
Yeah, nothing against any of the OTs, the Steelers are just thin at other positions and I wonder if maybe they would’ve been better off drafting a WR or CB.

One game, topseed. Babe Ruth went 0-4 a lot of games.
Babe Ruth also typically played in 140+ games per season.

As I said, I think that Queen was a quality addition. I just imagined him as more of an impact player. I'm sure he'll improve on his two-tackle performance very soon.

Yeah, nothing against any of the OTs, the Steelers are just thin at other positions and I wonder if maybe they would’ve been better off drafting a WR or CB.
I hear you….we could have had any CB we wanted in the whole draft with Mitchell,Arnold and Wiggens sitting there. All highly regarded,and who knows if we ever get that opportunity again. But I’ve been screaming for years to fix the trenches,so In one way it would have been hypocritical of me. But man I would have been tempted. But having an OLine solidly in place for the next 4-5 years will improve our running game,let our TE’s actually run pass routes instead of blocking,and protect our next new young QB of the future. 👍

After ignoring the OL for so many drafts, using the first round picks on OTs and drafting Frazier was just what the doctor ordered. You can never have enough quality or depth on the OL or DL.

Boring game to watch.

I need to give some love to Zack Frazier. He had some great blocks on the day and loved his athleticism on the pulls. Hoping that he develops into another legend in Steeler's lore at the Center position.
He was quiet , quiet at that position is a good thing.

Tomlin's success came with the coaches and players he Inherited......you can't dispel that truth. And I agree. Tomlin's philosophy mirrors Cowher’s.....but today's game is different than when Cowher was a coach. You can obviously can win with that philosophy. Tomlin gets his every year but if amd when the Steelers reach the playoffs they are out matched by a team that embraces the new rules that favor offense. We have gotten owned by the Chiefs....Bills...of the league. Rooney is a joke. He only cares about $$$$$. Extending Tomlin only showed that. We have 4 more seasons at a minimum of a Tomlin led team now.

Hopefully Tomlin will evolve as a HC this season. Learn from his failures. The good ones always do. We are still waiting on Tomlin though. Rooney has given him 4 more years to show us.

“Inherited players and coaches”..that’s BS and you know it. Otherwise, every HC fired would be hiring a brand new staff and dropping half the roster to get “guys that fits their system”. Noll had players and coaches retained on Cowher staff. Tomlin kept LeBeau because as he said “ why fix something that isn’t broke?” The defense was top ten. Rising QB with BA a rising coordinator. Fresh slate HC hires rarely worked. The team was still championship ready. Mariucci, Gruden, did the same thing. Not even Parcells could bring NYJ or even DAL back with a complete rebuild.

KC owns everybody, what has BUF done? We don’t have a HOF QB, it’s going to be the “you can win with that philosophy” method until a legit QB. The same thing the other successful coaches in the league are doing. HC like Carrol, Payton. McCarthy, Sirianni, Shannahan have the QB, but still can’t get over the hump.

You don’t like Tomlin, we know. A lot of folks on here don’t or they are or have lost patience. We all have. Rooney included, hence his comments. As for Rooney only caring about $$$$, please if that’s the case, why is the FO always up against the cap. I also will say the league makes money hands over fist. But there are owners who don’t care about winning. Rooney definitely wants to win.

Try to be pragmatic in your criticism, instead of following Coach/Lloyd method of assessment. That will pollute your brain and fandom.

FU to our QB Room. We have no QB to speak of.

“Inherited players and coaches”..that’s BS and you know it. Otherwise, every HC fired would be hiring a brand new staff and dropping half the roster to get “guys that fits their system”. Noll had players and coaches retained on Cowher staff. Tomlin kept LeBeau because as he said “ why fix something that isn’t broke?” The defense was top ten. Rising QB with BA a rising coordinator. Fresh slate HC hires rarely worked. The team was still championship ready. Mariucci, Gruden, did the same thing. Not even Parcells could bring NYJ or even DAL back with a complete rebuild.

KC owns everybody, what has BUF done? We don’t have a HOF QB, it’s going to be the “you can win with that philosophy” method until a legit QB. The same thing the other successful coaches in the league are doing. HC like Carrol, Payton. McCarthy, Sirianni, Shannahan have the QB, but still can’t get over the hump.

You don’t like Tomlin, we know. A lot of folks on here don’t or they are or have lost patience. We all have. Rooney included, hence his comments. As for Rooney only caring about $$$$, please if that’s the case, why is the FO always up against the cap. I also will say the league makes money hands over fist. But there are owners who don’t care about winning. Rooney definitely wants to win.

Try to be pragmatic in your criticism, instead of following Coach/Lloyd method of assessment. That will pollute your brain and fandom.
Tomlin won a SB with the players he Inherited. I give him props for it. Always have. Fact is since all of them have moved on but for Tomlin.......results have not been to good. You can't argue that. Facts are facts. And most new HCs do bring in their own coaches....and then purge the roster. You struck out ugly on that argument on three pitches.....that were out of the strike zone by at least a foot or more. Hell. New GMs usually bring in their HC at the start of their reign.

I was a Tomlin supporter for years. The last 10 years have been putrid. Sorry. You are good with going 9 and 8 and getting blasted in the playoffs. I am not....but it is so much more than that.

Didn't we get beat in a few playoff games by nonfranchise QBs while we had one? That was on Tomlin's watch.

So you think it was Tomlin's decision to keep Dick? Lol.
Another fail on your part.

At some point it is simply time to move on from your HC when you can't get to where you want to get. Andy Reid moved on from the Eagles. Maybe Tomlin can have more success elsewhere. Doubtful with his unwillingness to learn from his failures.

This Sunday I will give props to him for allowing his Defense to play with a more aggressive philosophy. That is a start. Will he regress back to what he has done in the past? Possibly.

Your attempt to bring Lloyd into our discussion is sad. Discredits your entire arguement......why do you let that man live in your head as you do? Pathetic actually. I actually feel sorry for you.

Beanie bishop played well. Good pickup.
The entire secondary played well.
Can not remember saying that for a long time.
Why does it seem that winning a game invites more trolls to sign up,?

Tomlin's success came with the coaches and players he Inherited......you can't dispel that truth.
INHERITED??? Let me put this argument to rest...

Cowher DIDN'T win the SUPER BOWL the prior year before with these same players...

FACT: TOMLIN WON A SUPER BOWL with the same players Cowher couldn't....

Last edited:
Tomlin won a SB with the players he Inherited. I give him props for it. Always have. Fact is since all of them have moved on but for Tomlin.......results have not been to good. You can't argue that. Facts are facts. And most new HCs do bring in their own coaches....and then purge the roster. You struck out ugly on that argument on three pitches.....that were out of the strike zone by at least a foot or more. Hell. New GMs usually bring in their HC at the start of their reign.

I was a Tomlin supporter for years. The last 10 years have been putrid. Sorry. You are good with going 9 and 8 and getting blasted in the playoffs. I am not....but it is so much more than that.

Didn't we get beat in a few playoff games by nonfranchise QBs while we had one? That was on Tomlin's watch.

So you think it was Tomlin's decision to keep Dick? Lol.
Another fail on your part.

At some point it is simply time to move on from your HC when you can't get to where you want to get. Andy Reid moved on from the Eagles. Maybe Tomlin can have more success elsewhere. Doubtful with his unwillingness to learn from his failures.

This Sunday I will give props to him for allowing his Defense to play with a more aggressive philosophy. That is a start. Will he regress back to what he has done in the past? Possibly.

Your attempt to bring Lloyd into our discussion is sad. Discredits your entire arguement......why do you let that man live in your head as you do? Pathetic actually. I actually feel sorry for you.

“Facts are facts”…Lord, rationalization from context isn’t in your mindset. Use it instead of baseball euphemisms, as yours is like Angel Hernandez behind the plate. Most GM’s do bring in the HC. Problem is Dan Rooney hired the head coaches, not the Director of Football Ops (Art Rooney Jr., Haley, Donahoe, Colbert). HC hired their assistants or coordinators, but most transitions carry over some coaches. When Cowher retired, the defense was set. LeBeau had no urge to be a head coach again, he had players he felt could take his defense to the next level. Tomlin or any HC would have been an idiot to not keep Coach LeBeau if he wanted to stay (he still had a contract). I know he felt this way, because he said so at a coaching seminar before he retired while at TEN. I was in attendance.

Purge the rosters…please, “fact” is, due the adoption of free agency and hard salary cap, that process waived bye, bye a long time ago. Those franchises that still try that are constantly rebuilding (hello ARI, WAS, CHI, IND, NYJ, LAV), hire new HC every couple years, sign players, release players while mortgaging their future cap levels. You keep forgetting that the NFL for the past twenty years became Pete Rozzelle’s manifesto…..League Parity. With the exception of the Cheatriots, that’s what the league has been. The single denominator during this period for success has been the franchise QB. We had one, but not now. So, it’s back to the formula that gives you the best chance to win. Every HC who win games follow this formula. The difference, any given Sunday.

Andy Reid didn’t choose to move on from PHI. He was fired by Lurie. KC’s new GM hired him, and he brought over Pederson and an another couple of asst coaches. He kept a couple of KC’s asst coaches. Both Coordinators left because they didn’t get the HC job. He had solid QB, then got a HOF QB. Completely different scenario with PIT when Cowher retired. No comparison.

You give the HC props for the D last game? Yet it’s been the same game plan for years. Stop the run, pressure the QB. If it regresses it’s because of injuries, but Tomlin won’t use that as an excuse. It’s always next man up. Fortunately, it looks like we have good depth this year (except for WR, which I think Omar has something in the works). So your “pitches” were called from the worst umpire in the MLB.

Aww you feel sorry for me? Don’t fret Stillwright, your concern is noted, but unnecessary. Coach/Lloyd opinion doesn't even register in thoughts. The fact that he/she abuses the board as a non-contributor for personal gratification does irritate me since I am a long time contributor and I don’t particularly welcome unabashed freeloaders like him/her to our board. I do however, hope you learn from constructive feedback when given. It allows for a larger observation of situations and scenarios that you may have not acknowledged previously.

Hahahahahaha, thinking my statements regarding Coach/Lloyd discredits my comments is down right hilarious. Considering you are basing your own comments from his/her oxymoronic narrative that is discredited each time he/she repeats it. I wasn’t aware he/she needed someone else to defend his/her rather extreme opinion of Tomlin, but to each their own.

Beanie bishop played well. Good pickup.
The entire secondary played well.
Can not remember saying that for a long time.
Why does it seem that winning a game invites more trolls to sign up,?
Was Beanie responsible for that wide open TD? I still think it is possible he was the culprit.