• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................Week 1 vs 49'ers......

Chicoman, spot on with your analysis.

This was painful to watch but I forced myself to.

Not just KP but the entire O was out of sync. They had none of the timing or rhythm they showed in the preseason and that's why they call it the preseason. They better find it quick because Canaduh is still the same terrible OC he's been for the past 2 years.

The secondary was horrendous. Peterson gave up 2 TD's - granted he fell down on one as DJ did on the one KP int and he was in position on the 2nd but got outmuscled. JPJ needs more time on the field. We had no coverage over the middle of the field. Mynkah was doing his thing but the other S and the CB's let guys wide open all day long in the middle of the field. That has to stop yesterday. Move Peterson in the middle and put JPJ on the outside. Make it happen and take our lumps now before things get out of hand.

Hopefully, this was one terrible game against one of the top 4 teams in the NFL and we bounce back this week. Lose 2 games at home in the "easier" part of our schedule and this will be another long season of mediocrity at best.

This, Omar might be shopping himself for a new team in a few years, he's built a great roster and handed the keys to a serial underachieving head coach
I'm hoping that there's a Cowher/Donohue dynamic to this, only this time, the coach goes instead of the GM.
I'm not 100% sure how the hiring process goes for assistant coaches, but I gotta believe that Tomlin has the loudest voice in the room for it.
And if that's how it truly is, than Tomlin's decision making has to be called into question.
Canada was a college dart throw that started as our QB coach and was then promoted.
But Austin has a proven track record of not good at the NFL level in this very position of DC.
This is the dictionary definition of ineptitude.
Here's hoping there is no contract renewal next off-season for Tomlin and gang. NOT holding my breath, but I can dream.

Last edited:
Terry Bradshaw played his first few seasons for this team 50 years ago, I'd say the game has changed a bit since then.

Pickett played awful, he made multiple terrible, innacurate throws, this was an issue last year too, you keep sticking your head in the sand, throwing insults, and referencing the 70's tho
No the game hasn't changed in regards to evaluating talent. Yes Kenny played bad, I don't think anyone will argue he played well. It is one game against the best defense in the league on opening day. He has shown accuracy in previous real games so I will wait to reserve judgment long term. If we judged teams only the first game of the season then a lot of good quarterbacks are now bad quarterbacks. Yes Kenny still has a lot to prove and I am not saying he is comparable to a Burrow or Mahomes, just that we are way overreacting to one terrible game and it was far from just Kenny who was terrible. Top down it was **** show aside from a very few bright spots.

You're going from one of the 10 best QBs all-time to a kid who had a good season or two in college.
Before the draft the thing Pickett was best known for was faking a slide.
There's gonna be a drop off and growing pains.
They were both first round picks, I guarantee you Terry would never have made it to year 3 with the way fans and social media are today. Kenny has started far better than Terry did, aside from yesterday. Kenny was known for more than that or he wouldn't have been third overall for the Heisman. Can you imagine as fragile as Terry's mentality was, how bad things would go today with social media after his two year shitshow?

Kenny may or may not become a franchise QB, the jury is still out but after what we saw league wide yesterday I will reserve judgment. Hell he played better than Burrow yesterday.

No he isn't. He had an entire offseason as the starter. That was a pathetic performance today and I'm talking about the downs he was pressured. He had some atrocious passes with a clean pocket and open receivers.
Sure. I agree he played like garbage, but I'm saying his lack of experience showed in for example not taking clearly open checkdowns that would have got 6 to 8 yard chunks. He wanted to win it all by forcing deep throws and we saw the results. Those checkdowns would have allowed us to possess the ball more as Tomlin likes to say. There was still plenty of game time left when he started taking the deeper options. It would have helped the defense rest as well. September is the worst time time to have your D constantly on the field. And "offseason" is not in game experience. Just like preseason champion does not make a real champion.

The Steelers ran the ball 9 TIMES! What the hell happened to this getting back to being a physical running team. You draft an OT, a big badass blocking TE...and you don't run. ******* idiots.
San Francisco had the #2 run defense in the NFL last year, only allowing 3.4 yards per carry. It's no surprise that the Steelers could not run the ball yesterday. So I don't have an issue with trying to pass. But Pittsburgh needed to have a better gameplan when they came out throwing the ball against the Niners' middle-of-the-pack pass defense -- unfortunately, the plan was both badly prepared and poorly executed.

And that first round OT they drafted played a grand total of 4 offensive snaps. Very disappointing to me that Jones was unable to supplant Dan Moore as a starter. I guess he's not as good as I thought he was.

San Francisco had the #2 run defense in the NFL last year, only allowing 3.4 yards per carry. It's no surprise that the Steelers could not run the ball yesterday. So I don't have an issue with trying to pass. But Pittsburgh needed to have a better gameplan when they came out throwing the ball against the Niners' middle-of-the-pack pass defense -- unfortunately, the plan was both badly prepared and poorly executed.

And that first round OT they drafted played a grand total of 4 offensive snaps. Very disappointing to me that Jones was unable to supplant Dan Moore as a starter. I guess he's not as good as I thought he was.
I think they simply didn't want to throw Jones into the fire. Living in their rookie fears.

The obvious doesn’t need to be said. Beating a dead horse. There were a couple of things I liked, though there wasn’t a lot to like.

When Johnson went out, I liked some of the things I saw out of Calvin Austin. He could be an interesting replacement.

McFarland looked like the best KR Pittsburgh had seen in a while. Nothing fancy, just planting his foot and going north with a purpose. No dancing, nothing cute, just running with purpose.

I think Benton is going to be fine. He definitely got trial by fire against the 49ers- but he held his own.

I forgot to add Nick Herbig. I thought he also was a little disruptive. Was more effective than Alex Highpaid

Last edited:
The obvious doesn’t need to be said. Beating a dead horse. There were a couple of things I liked, though there wasn’t a lot to like.

When Johnson went out, I liked some of the things I saw out of Calvin Austin. He could be an interesting replacement.

McFarland looked like the best KR Pittsburgh had seen in a while. Nothing fancy, just planting his foot and going north with a purpose. No dancing, nothing cute, just running with purpose.

I think Benton is going to be fine. He definitely got trial by fire against the 49ers- but he held his own.

I forgot to add Nick Herbig. I thought he also was a little disruptive. Was more effective than Alex Highpaid
To be fair Alex was going up against one of the best T's in the NFL.

I think they simply didn't want to throw Jones into the fire. Living in their rookie fears.
What's scaring me is Okorafor's 13.08 million dollar cap hit.

What's scaring me is Okorafor's 13.08 million dollar cap hit.
I think he is gone in the off-season or they restructure him.

I think he is gone in the off-season or they restructure him.
Dead cap is "only" 3.08 mill in 2024, so if the new front office has any sense, they'll let him go.