• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............week 10..................vs Saints.....

No it wouldn't. It's a stark difference from what we saw in preseason even. Our first TD had me rolling my eyes. Another trick play on the goal line.

I liked the mitch signing, but he was not playing with any confidence. And you could see a massive difference between starting mitch and back up mitch in the Tampa game. If he played with that kind of confidence and fire, we'd still be wondering what we had in Pickett.

Unfortunately this fan base is not kind to QB play that isn't all pro status. The rumors about Stewart, death threats to O'Donnell, dumping trash on Maddox lawn...I've even seen posts on Facebook under articles about Ben in retirement that just blue my mind. Things like "just go away already" 😳

It's no wonder Bradshaw stayed away for so long...
To be fair, Bradshaw can be a bit of an *** hat.

What were you watching in regards to Spillane? I thought the complete opposite -- this was one of his best games as a Steeler, leading the team with 7 tackles, 5 solos, 1 TFL, and the game-clinching stop of Dalton on the 4th down sneak attempt. Plus he was decent in coverage. No idea what you're talking about.

And I disagree with the other posters who said that Pickett was under constant pressure the whole game, and the Steelers never having anybody open. Yeah, KP was pressured a lot today, but he also had plenty of time on a number of occasions, and missed several throws, including a wide-open Pickens on the very first play from scrimmage. Rookie or veteran, there's no excuse for those.

Here's what I've noticed about the two "superstars" on the Steelers defense: While Minkah is replaceable, Watt is not. Along with his own prowess, Watt coming back takes double-teams away from Highsmith. Highsmith gets more pressure because he's no longer being doubled. That pressure from both sides makes the whole defense better. When Fitzpatrick misses a game, other secondary guys step up. The drop-off in talent/production is negligible in the secondary. The drop-off at outside linebacker is like falling off a cliff.

Good to finally see some production out of the running game, but this offense is still hard to watch most of the time.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...wrong.

most would view this as a good game for the offense and it certainly did look like an improvement, but it's still 20 points scored which is below average.

I believe that every scoring drive was extended by a saints penalty.

Did Pickens get a single deep ball?

Steelers managed to pop a few big runs but aside from those, it was pretty average production. Improved yes, but still not anything great.

Matt Canada didn't do a damn thing different. The worst part of this is I'd bet that internally, they're high five-ing about their "great" offensive performance. It's still subpar. The WRs are still rarely open and there's little opportunity for run after catch.

If you thought that Matt Canada would use the 2 weeks to self scout and make some changes then you don't know matt Canada. By changing nothing, he essentially doubled down that his system is working and needs no adjustments.

Here's a scary thought. The Steelers remaing schedule is much easier than the first half. What if the Steelers finish up strong. Maybe they achieve that "non-losing" season and the offensive numbers do improve but only because there's no place to go but up. What if all of that happens and Matt Canada returns next year?
I said this in another thread yesterday...I dreamed it on Saturday while I had a temp of 102...

He is doing his best crab impersonation. Hopefully the coaches tear him a new *** hole for that and he learns from it.
It's his fourth year in the league. He's been doing that **** since year one.
It's time to stop waiting on DJ to make some sudden "leap" and realize that he is what we thought he is. He's not Batman. He's not even Nightwing. He's little ol' Robin; good enough to help out and even beat the bad guy occasionally, but, not the top guy you thought he'd become.

most would view this as a good game for the offense and it certainly did look like an improvement, but it's still 20 points scored which is below average.

I believe that every scoring drive was extended by a saints penalty.

Did Pickens get a single deep ball?

Steelers managed to pop a few big runs but aside from those, it was pretty average production. Improved yes, but still not anything great.

Matt Canada didn't do a damn thing different. The worst part of this is I'd bet that internally, they're high five-ing about their "great" offensive performance. It's still subpar. The WRs are still rarely open and there's little opportunity for run after catch.

If you thought that Matt Canada would use the 2 weeks to self scout and make some changes then you don't know matt Canada. By changing nothing, he essentially doubled down that his system is working and needs no adjustments.

Here's a scary thought. The Steelers remaing schedule is much easier than the first half. What if the Steelers finish up strong. Maybe they achieve that "non-losing" season and the offensive numbers do improve but only because there's no place to go but up. What if all of that happens and Matt Canada returns next year?

Yes, that is my number 1 fear for the rest of the season that Canada makes minimal progress and gets retained. I don't want Pickett' confidence completely destroyed but I find myself wishing failure on Canada to leave no avenue for him to return.

I think the only reason we saw changes in play calling yesterday is Canada knows his back is against the wall, if he gets another season it will be more of the same garbage we saw this year in the 1st half of the season

20 points doesn't win many games in 2022

After the bye, Najee finally appears healthy and it showed on the field. He definitely showed he is the lead dog but Warren needs to get his snaps as well.

Did anyone else notice how quickly the officials were blowing the whistle? In many plays, including one of Najee's runs, they blew the whistle as soon as the defender touched the player with the ball. The players were still on their feet and moving. On one play, they blew the whistle and Najee was still running in there and would have had another 3+ yards if the whistle hadn't blown. Not sure what they were doing or directed to do by the league but blowing the whistles that early is a bit ridiculous.

I think it has to do with players assisting forward progress. The league sent out a memo a week or so ago and now I think this is the product of enforcing it.

Salute the nation

When I saw that play that was the worst backtrack from him that I can remember. Not understanding why he continues to do that dumb ****. The WR coach needs to tell him to go forward not backwards.

That wide receivers coach I do believe was hired by O'Canada and not I'm sure of his resume to enforce / teach / the fine lines.

Salute the nation

20 points doesn't win many games in 2022
It would win more than you think. Teams have won games when their opponents scored fewer than 20 points 61.7 percent of the time this season. Only 29.5 percent of games had both teams score more than 20 points.

I liked the mitch signing, but he was not playing with any confidence. And you could see a massive difference between starting mitch and back up mitch in the Tampa game. If he played with that kind of confidence and fire, we'd still be wondering what we had in Pickett.

The rumors about Stewart, death threats to O'Donnell,
Well to be fair, the Death Threats to O'donnel, were warranted,,,, :p

And yes,, mitch confidence and fire of the bench was very evident.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach on Pickett until the end of the season.. So far i think he just isnt very good . Hooray for the nice runs... But you can do that when you're young.

It would win more than you think. Teams have won games when their opponents scored fewer than 20 points 61.7 percent of the time this season. Only 29.5 percent of games had both teams score more than 20 points.

Point taken but I know a .600 winning percentage might keep Tomlin employed and loved by the media but it won't win championships which used to be the goal around here...

Plus when Watt is out, or hits the wrong side of 30 this defense isn't holding quality opponents below 20...

Well to be fair, the Death Threats to O'donnel, were warranted,,,, :p

And yes,, mitch confidence and fire of the bench was very evident.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach on Pickett until the end of the season.. So far i think he just isnt very good . Hooray for the nice runs... But you can do that when you're young.

Do you know how many quarterbacks looked bad their first two years? It's a lot. Which would include many who are slinging it around the league right now.

I don't watch a ton of other teams play,but I do follow game statistics.

Fix the lines and this team goes back to playing deep into the playoffs.

They got too enamored with trying to be this pass happy finesse team like everyone else is trying to do.

None of those 6 championships came from being cute.

They need a lot more of what they did against the Saints.

It's time to stop waiting on DJ to make some sudden "leap" and realize that he is what we thought he is. He's not Batman. He's not even Nightwing. He's little ol' Robin; good enough to help out and even beat the bad guy occasionally, but, not the top guy you thought he'd become.
Well he already has a new contract so all we can do is hope he stops running backwards, with coaches enforcing some kind of punishment, bench-presses, sit-ups, no ping pong, you name it

Last edited:
What were you watching in regards to Spillane? I thought the complete opposite -- this was one of his best games as a Steeler, leading the team with 7 tackles, 5 solos, 1 TFL, and the game-clinching stop of Dalton on the 4th down sneak attempt. Plus he was decent in coverage. No idea what you're talking about.

He is a massive liability in coverage that is actively targeted by other teams. His run support is ok. And not that I am trying to take anything away from a player, but that stop on Dalton was 100% the defensive line making a wall. The offensive line, and Dalton behind them, were completely stopped. Spillane basically looks over, sees Dalton basically standing there and jumps on him. It was actually kind of funny watching the replay.

I don’t blame Spillane for being limited in pass coverage. The problem is that the Steelers see Spillane as better than Bush in those situations. Bush is obviously the better athlete so if they play Spillane it must mean Bush makes mental errors and can’t be trusted. That’s sad.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...wrong.
Great point. Well-articulated.

The Steelers are 11-9-1 when Fitzpatrick misses a game, including 2-0 this year. They're 1-10 without Watt, including 1-6 this season.

Even you can see the difference there.

He is a massive liability in coverage that is actively targeted by other teams. His run support is ok. And not that I am trying to take anything away from a player, but that stop on Dalton was 100% the defensive line making a wall. The offensive line, and Dalton behind them, were completely stopped. Spillane basically looks over, sees Dalton basically standing there and jumps on him. It was actually kind of funny watching the replay.
You're basing your narrative on a general notion about Spillane in coverage, not yesterday's results.

While you're watching that "funny" replay of that crucial fourth down stop (yeah, the DL stuffed Dalton at the line, but somebody still had to tackle the guy), go ahead and rewind it back to the first quarter, when Spillane was in coverage on the tight end and stood him up for a 3-yard gain on 3rd-and-13, or when he stopped Kamara two yards short of a first down on 3rd-and-9. See if those plays look like he was a "massive liability" in coverage, and get back to me.

Like Coach T says (and he says a lot of things) "not every meal is a buffet". These dudes gotta learn that sometimes you must take the 3 or 4 yards and not pretend you're going to the house every play....but some dudes just don't get it.

The Steelers are 11-9-1 when Fitzpatrick misses a game, including 2-0 this year. They're 1-10 without Watt, including 1-6 this season.

As far as I can see, Minkah has only missed 3 games during the 4 seasons he's been a Steeler. Not 21. He only played 14 games in 2019. But, he wasn't acquired until two games into the season. So, he played in every game he was on the roster for the Steelers that year. He played a full season in 2020. In 2021 he missed 1 game. And this year he's missed two games with probably another 2 to come following the appendectomy.
I don't know what the Steelers record is in those 3 games.

https://www.nfl.com/players/minkah-fitzpatrick/stats/career

I don't think Minkah has missed a third of the games while he has been here??? Are you sure of that stat?

Salute the nation

The Steelers time of possession was 38:56. That's keeping the ball and grinding.

Kenny Pickett was 18/30 199yards ,0int,0td 11.1 average per pass attempt, sacked 6 times. Rushing 8 for 51 yards and a TD, 6.4 average per rush, a long of 23 yards.

It was a good day on the ground by everyone. Najee looked like the cat from last year.

I like the physicality.
Not for nothing, but Kenny Pickett’s yards per attempt for yesterday was 6.6. His yards per completion was 11.1.