• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..........week 2 vs Browns.....

I think Pickett will be fine once Canada is gone. He has played against two top-five defenses in the first two weeks. He is also hamstrung by an OC who won't let him audible on the line and has a game plan most high school coaches wouldn't run. His accuracy has been off but with proper protection that will improve. The OC and DC have no business coaching on this level of football.

Again- can you tell me why you believe this exactly? Not even saying I disagree with you, but what has he done that assures you that he will be 'fine'? Because his interceptions (and near interceptions) this year have been inexcusable. OC or not.

Like it or not, KP is trending towards Zach Wilson and Justin Fields level of play. What's even worse is that those guys are STILL younger than than him lol.

GOATS of the game
Highsmith. He showed up and owned this game.
George Pickens. He showed up. That 71 yard TD was a thing of beauty.
TJ. He made his usual impact
Pressley Harvin. Finally showed up and had several well placed punts and the coffin corner at the 1 was a thing of beauty. He saved the FG and didn’t Finkle the hold.
Ogunjobi. He stepped up and was a force.

Guys that deserve hard hats that contributed and made impact plays
Calvin Austin. This guy is small but mighty. He willed his way on a 14 yard punt return and was smart about his fair catching. His downfield blocking is something that needs to be mentioned. He is not afraid to take a brother out. When he’s targeted-he fights for the ball. He needs more targets.
Cole Holcomb. Seems like he’s starting to get more comfortable with the defense and settling in.
Joey Porter Jr. this guy needs to play more. He made an impact in the most important moments of the game
Montraveous Adams. Forced fumble and owned the center. He was starting to get hot
Benton- when he played, he kept pushing the center back and took his lunch money.
Jaylen Warren- he needs more carries

I’m incomplete on Kenny Pickett. He made some good throws but man, that was few and far in between. He seems indecisive and wasn’t putting the ball where it needs to be.
Najee. He kept trying to run through the chaos instead of finding another hole or bouncing outside. He lacks patience., he did monster a couple of runs in the second half. But it was too late in the game
Pat Pete. Was picked on early but settled down and played a B- game. He needs to start out better.

FU- Matt Canada. To his credit, he did have a few nice play calls, but otherwise he has no sense of understanding on what the defense is doing. It seems like he or Tomlin is not allowing Kenny to check plays. When the Clowns had 7 guys close to the line of scrimmage, Boykin was one on one with a Smurf. Call a hot route to him on a quick slant or go route.
Teryl Austin- I don’t understand playing a soft zone on 3rd and long when you have Watson backed up to the end zone.
Mike Tomlin-it’s your ship, you’re responsible for the whole shabang

Again- can you tell me why you believe this exactly? Not even saying I disagree with you, but what has he done that assures you that he will be 'fine'? Because his interceptions (and near interceptions) this year have been inexcusable. OC or not.

Like it or not, KP is trending towards Zach Wilson and Justin Fields level of play. What's even worse is that those guys are STILL younger than than him lol.
Wouldn't be the first time a OC caused issues with a QB. We know that exists from past QBs that had OC changes and then quickly improved.

Two many plays that are pointed out that negatively impacted the offense. So it is reasonable to think improved play can come with improved tuilage.

Does he need to improve damn sure does. He gets his fair share of the blame. But again to beat a dead horse it is a wait and see with him despite some already writing him off.

I tell you one poster( not you) made the game day thread hard to read with his constant Kenny comments. Even wanted to praise Canada over Kenny when Kenny made a solid throw.

My point is if you are locked into an opinion doesn't matter what anyone says.

Kenny is going to have to work through his slump. Will he? Who knows. I don't nor does Joe blow. Way too early to lock into a final opinion. A short term opinion of he hasn't been good enough is fair. As it is also fair to say his overall supporting cast has been junior varsity. I am talking O-line, coaching, scheme, RB play, every aspect of the offense.

I want to see his accuracy improve and improve quickly but I am also mindful that there is contributing circumstances.

I think Pickett will be fine once Canada is gone. He has played against two top-five defenses in the first two weeks. He is also hamstrung by an OC who won't let him audible on the line and has a game plan most high school coaches wouldn't run. His accuracy has been off but with proper protection that will improve. The OC and DC have no business coaching on this level of football.
Canada has zero to do with play execution. Yes, his play calling and designs resemble Atari 2600 football-but they still need to be executed. His throws are off quite a bit. Perhaps Kenny is preseason champion

Everything y’all have said I was yelling the same at my Steeler bar last night.
Why is Gunner on this roster… He stinks,
Why is JPJ not playing more!?
Why has this OL taken steps backwards? Highlighting poor play by Dan Moore, Chuks, and Mason Cole.
Why is Broderick Thompson not playing? He can’t do worse than Dan Moore.
WTF is Matt Canaduh still doing as the OC of this team? Should have been replaced in the offseason.
WTF were you thinking Tomlin keeping Terrell Austin as our DC? You had coach Flores right in front of you.
Yes, Kenny again played poorly but there are elements contributing to his regression. One being horrendous OL play. The guy is playing scared running for his life therefore making many errant throws. Not seeing the field and going through his progressions, missing open receivers, he’s playing scared.
Then you have the high school playbook of Canaduh that has absolutely zero imagination, poor design, same plays nothing ever new, fails to use play action, just no help to his QB.
Does Kenny even have QB Coach that can point out to him what he’s doing wrong in game? Geez!
This is Tomlin’s folly plain and simple. These are his coordinators and position coaches. He has to know and see that his QB is struggling here so what’s he going to do?
Art needs to step the **** up at this point too. Do something Art besides count your money. This QB is your investment for your future in this football team and he’s struggling. Geez! At the very least bring in another set of eyes like a Todd Haley, Byron Leftwich to work with ducking Canaduh. Something needs done before we lose Kenny and this offense this season.

Reactions: GMC
Our O Line sucks balls still

Kenny was running for his life, & that makes him unable to really see his progressions unfold.
This is my take as well. The few times Pickett had a clean pocket and was able to go through his progressions he was fine, but you can probably count on one hand when that occurred, and I can only remember one.

Realizing I'm a Pickett homer, but what QB has Canada been successful with? Fire him today and let Pickett call what he sees, and I doubt things could get any worse.

Ben Roethlisberger
Mitchell Trubisky
Kenny Pickett
Diontae Johnson
George Pickens
Calvin Austin III
Allen Robinson
Pat Freiermuth
Darnell Washington
Kendrick Green
Mason Cole
Kevin Dotson
Isaac Seumalo

The players keep changing, the terrible results stay the same. Huh, wish I could figure out the one constant over the past 37 games of offensive suckitude.

Let Kenny call his own plays. Spend a high pick on qb. Kenny looks second tier.

Lest we forget Plaxico and his spike.

Yeah, but ******* Olszewski had to sprint to the sideline to get to the kick and work hard to toe-tap to keep his feet inbounds to result in the outcome. The comparison would be legit only if Plex picked up a fumble and THEN spiked it when the play was still live.

Or Barry Foster watching the kickoff go right by him for a scoop and score by the 49ers in 1990

I don't think it was a score. I think the 49ers just covered the ball at about the 7 and scored right after. Yes, absolutely dumb, but to top the Olszewski stupidity, Foster would have had to sprint over to call off another player and let the ball lie on the 7-yard line to be recovered by the kicking team.

FU to Troy Aikman for insisting that the hit on Chub was dirty. Troy is the most boring of all the commentators.

Wouldn't be the first time a OC caused issues with a QB. We know that exists from past QBs that had OC changes and then quickly improved.

Two many plays that are pointed out that negatively impacted the offense. So it is reasonable to think improved play can come with improved tuilage.

Does he need to improve damn sure does. He gets his fair share of the blame. But again to beat a dead horse it is a wait and see with him despite some already writing him off.

I tell you one poster( not you) made the game day thread hard to read with his constant Kenny comments. Even wanted to praise Canada over Kenny when Kenny made a solid throw.

My point is if you are locked into an opinion doesn't matter what anyone says.

Kenny is going to have to work through his slump. Will he? Who knows. I don't nor does Joe blow. Way too early to lock into a final opinion. A short term opinion of he hasn't been good enough is fair. As it is also fair to say his overall supporting cast has been junior varsity. I am talking O-line, coaching, scheme, RB play, every aspect of the offense.

I want to see his accuracy improve and improve quickly but I am also mindful that there is contributing circumstances.

I think we can both agree that neither of our opinion's count for ****. At the end of the day, KP's play will ultimately speak for itself.

But it is fun to debate lol.

The weak spot on the Brahns defense is the middle of the field (See Picken's TD catch) and yet our TE group got one total target. One. This offense is pure bullshit. Want to open up the running game? Play action hitting the middle with TE's and crossing routes to freeze the ILBs. It's 101 offensive concepts.

But you have to add crayons to that class to get O’Canada to attend…….

Salute the nation

The little solace I can muster up after Kennys performance is that the 49'ers and Clowns have damn good defenses.
If he performs the same way against lesser defenses then we've got a big problem.

I was happy to see what appeared to be some sense of urgency by (most) of the players to win this game - even though the offense still can't get it done. To me it just appeared to be a different ballgame compared to the 9er's.

However, once again I can't be optimistic about the coaching staff and their play calling and decisions. There is talent on this team, but if you take away the defensive touchdowns, we're once again below 20 PPG which won't fly for Superbowl aspirations.

on a side note, Nick Chubb is a RB who blew out his knee. Bad luck but it happens. Why is everybody acting like he's dead?