• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............week 3 vs Chargers....

Najee ran hard that is all you can ask for. I saw him make one bad decision when he should have just turned it upfield. He made the best out of nothing most times. He was getting hit at the line or behind the line alot. Most of that is not on the back. If Najee gets a little steam he is a tough guy to bring down. He is not going to make the big splash plays, but he holds onto the ball and is a workhorse.

I’m not so sure. He was 14 carries for 30 yards at one point. His last 4 carries netted 40 yards and he finished 18/70.

Perhaps he found another gear, or maybe the defense was gassed and beat up late in the game. I mean, even Cordarelle Patterson was ripping off big gains late in the game.

I tend to believe that the Steelers OL wore the defense down more than Najee took the game over. I guess it doesn’t matter much as the result is what is most important.
Case in point. You don’t understand football, you understand fantasy football (stats). Najee was impressive when he was 14-30 yards.

When a player fights to gain three yards after contact, it’s impressive, regardless if it’s a zero yard gain or a 10 yard gain. Najee does that.

Case in point. You don’t understand football, you understand fantasy football (stats). Najee was impressive when he was 14-30 yards.

When a player fights to gain three yards after contact, it’s impressive, regardless if it’s a zero yard gain or a 10 yard gain. Najee does that.
Not really. He wasn't getting help but by no means was he impressive either.

If that’s the case, then we can’t measure statistically what effect a physical offensive line has on the opposing defense. So while a physical back can impact the running game, so can a physical offensive line.

If the two go hand in hand, and I agree they do, why does the back get the credit for taking the game over rather than the guys blowing holes open for him?
Really just depends on who is giving the credit. Media loves them some playmakers, as do fans. In general the lines get less accolades but they shouldn’t.

They can get those all pro and pro bowl recognitions but yeah generally a thankless job.

Not lost on us diehard fans we know the value of great trench play.

Really just depends on who is giving the credit. Media loves them some playmakers, as do fans. In general the lines get less accolades but they shouldn’t.

They can get those all pro and pro bowl recognitions but yeah generally a thankless job.

Not lost on us diehard fans we know the value of great trench play.
Perhaps the best measure of a running back is something that can’t be measured…it’s what he does after the O line does their job.
Harris appears to turn into a beast after the O line opens a hole.
From tossing defenders aside with his stiff arm, to carrying defenders on his back, to leaping over them…all that without ever fumbling.

Tomlin didn't mention Spencer as injured? The broadcasters said he was injured since McCormick was in the game in the 2nd half. Maybe he was pulled for poor play. Either way, McCormick deserves a pat on the back or something. He was a beast. On one run play, he pushed 2 players back. On another, he pushed his man 2 yards backward. Dude could be another steal from this draft and could be a starter next year.

Tomlin didn't mention Spencer as injured? The broadcasters said he was injured since McCormick was in the game in the 2nd half. Maybe he was pulled for poor play. Either way, McCormick deserves a pat on the back or something. He was a beast. On one run play, he pushed 2 players back. On another, he pushed his man 2 yards backward. Dude could be another steal from this draft and could be a starter next year.
I thought Spencer was rotated due to his ineffectiveness.

You Hear That Mr. Anderson? That Is The Sound Of Inevitability​

Besides the players… I have to give the game ball to the coaches. I surely have criticized them many times in the past. Time to give them some credit. I thought the game changed when they did what we’ve all been calling for. Passing in the middle of the field. Even the drop by Pat,which was huge. The slant by Calvin and the other throw and catch to Pat seemed to open things up. You could feel the air instantly go out of the whole chargers team when their QB left. You just knew they were done.
Great game planning by our Defensive Coordinator. They had to get after their QB while he was hobbled and shut down the run.
Our D was relentless. Great game.

Shout out to Dan Moore for being steady. Shout out to McCormick….getting his feet wet and getting the job done. Shout out to our beast of a Center. What a difference he makes. Jones had a better game today. It was great to finally see Calvin being thrown too on a slant caught in full stride ,with a perfect ball over the middle. Shout out to our mountain of a TE. Watched him block a few times with great success. On the Fields TD run the Chargers D definitely thought it was going to him. They put 2 players on him which created all that space for Justin. Finally. An OC that draws up an actual play.

Justin Fields has done absolutely everything that the Steelers have asked him to do. A couple little burps here and there,but has far exceeded what i had expected. I felt that he should be throwing down the field way more than he has. You can see he’s got the arm. But I think I was too impatient. They have brought him along slowly,building his confidence gaining trust on both coaches and players. He has progressed each game. Let’s see them keep this pace up. Trust his natural abilities and use them.
You can see the team coming together more offensively. It’s a pleasure to witness. Next up the Colts…..bring it on!

By the way, got unexpected company during game time yesterday. Who the **** does that. Dropping by when my Steelers are playing. Expecting me to be happy to see them. I mean seriously.

Another week, another nail biter for the Steeler Nation! Coming into today's game I knew it would be a physical matchup for the Steelers. Steelers blew some good opportunities today most notably blowing a golden opportunity starting a drive on the Chargers 41 yd line. They lost the turnover battle too in this one but came away with the victory to go 3-0. All week long we kept hearing Arthur Smith saying this offense was starting to come togther.......in the 4th Quarter today we might have seen a glimpse of that as Justin Fields hit Calvin Austin on a slant over the middle of the field....he threaded the needle perfectly between 3 Defenders and Austin did the rest taking it all the way (55 yards) to put the Steelers up by 10 points with 7 minutes to go in the game. The Steelers O-line took over from there pushing the Chargers front 7 all over the field at will to finish off the game. Defensively the Steelers held the Chargers to just 61 yards rushing and in the second half they held the Chargers to -4 yds total offense.....incredible! Cam Heyward, Elandon Roberts, Nick Herbig & TJ Watt led the way in the 2nd half for the Defense as they sacked Herbert and his replacement Taylor Heinike 5 times and he never really had much of a chance after Herbert's injury. I thought Justin Fields made some good progress today and certainly didn't hurt his chances of remaining the Steelers starter. Scotty Miller is a fast, twitchy WR. Van Jefferson went down early with an injury and it was nice to see Calvin Austin step up and make the plays that you need your #2 WR to make. Looking ahead when will Roman Wilson make his debut for the Steelers. The O-line did ok today......they finally were able to create running lanes in the 4th Quarter. About the only negatives in this game were the INT thrown by Fields that was batted around and Intercepted by Bud Dupree and the penalties for Illegal Formation...I think there was 3 of those called against us, one negated a big gain that would have put us inside the Red Zone....very frustrating! So as we sit here after 3 weeks our Steelers are 3-0 and I'd be lying if I told you I expected this. I honestly thought we'd be 1-2 or 0-3 as my expectations this season were not good but I'm starting to get a little giddy watching this Defense after 3 weeks and don't look now but maybe the offense and Justin Fields is starting to get it. So far this season reminds me a little bit of 1974 season where our Defense was top notch but the offense wasn't quite there but we saw glimpses of what it could be....I see things that remind me of that season after 3 weeks. Lets enjoy this one and get ready for the Colts next week! The only thing I wish was that Tomlin ran it in for the late TD because I ******* hate both Crybaughs!

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Cory Trice - Hamstring being evalauated
Alex Highsmith - Groin Injury beign evaluated
Van Jerfferson - Eye injury but was able to return in the 4th Quarter
Jaylen Warren - seemed injured...was pulled from the game by Coach Tomlin

Game Balls:
Justin Fields - His best game as a Steeler 25 for 32 245 yds 1 TD, 1 INT - Did a great job threading the needle to Calvin Austin in the 4th QTR. That's a BIG TIME NFL Caliber throw!
Calvin Austin - Kid stepped up after Van Jefferson went down on the first drive with an eye injury! 4 rec 95 yds 1 TD
Nick Herbig - 2 sacks today after Highsmith went down....he should have had 3 sacks but he whiffed on Herbert before halftime
Patrick Queen - 8 tackles today....should have had an INT today too but he was great in run support
Chris Boswell - He missed a 62 yd FG but he also kicked a FG that put him over 1,000 points scoring for his career! Congrats to the Wizard of Boz!
Scotty Miller - 2 nice receptions today to keep the drive going. He's fast and twitchy!
Corderall Patterson - Some nice runs late including a 3rd & 13 conversion for the first down as the Steelers took the air out of the football down the stretch
Joey Porter Jr - His tacking is a vastly improved part of his game...he made a nice tackle for a loss today. 4 tackles today

Game Goats:
None.....great team win against a physical and tough Chargers team!

FU's:
**** THE HARBAUGH'S Just because I HATE THEM BOTH!
First half was a slog. Second half much better after Herbert was knocked out. We can't complain about winning and if they take care of this upcoming game they have a chance to enter October 4-0. Hope the guys dinged up are not long term injuries. We should be getting closer to Seumalo coming back, maybe a few more weeks.

I thought Spencer was rotated due to his ineffectiveness.

You Hear That Mr. Anderson? That Is The Sound Of Inevitability​

Thats media speculation... I think they pulled him when he got minorly banged up because he was the top backup at both T spots left and they didnt want to risk it...

I liked the change though... Spence is Ok, but a true Guard is better

Thats media speculation... I think they pulled him when he got minorly banged up because he was the top backup at both T spots left and they didnt want to risk it...

I liked the change though... Spence is Ok, but a true Guard is better
Perhaps they should then just let MC handle the G spot and let Anderson swing backup at T and G..

I am the biggest Najee detractor on here but his game yesterday was solid. He isn't quick or laterally explosive and isn't going to make something out of nothing type RB, He's no Leveon Bell he's never gonna put a stink leg on a defender with a brutal cut. But when he has an open lane and gets a few steps to grab a north south head of steam, lookout once he gets up to speed. He ran the ball HARD yesterday when he had a lane. Nice gains of 6-8 yards on early downs. The strong runs were offset by a few rushes for loss and a few plays where Fields should not have thrown him the ball as he was covered. Overall I would take that game from Harris every week.
I will admit I may have been wrong to underestimate Cordarelle Patterson. Dare I say he could not have looked better?
My biggest gripe this season with Tomlin is why rush these injured guys back and make the injuries much worse. Warren, Troy, Jones The list goes on. it's idiotic to play these guys hurt especially this early in the season. Looks like Troy is done and Warren may be as well. STUPID coaching decisions was definitely a major factor. Not to mention hurting the QB 1 preseason on a sled drill??

With Fields and the O, keep in mind, Tomlin was deliberately holding them back. He opened things up a little at home. Right or wrong, those were his decisions and not caused by the players. Now, the players did have a lot of penalties in the first 2 road games and just a few stupid penalties on Sunday. Hopefully, the O will keep opening things up even on the road.

I loved Field's placement - he was throwing perfect dimes all day that I can remember. I watched the Dallas/Ravens game and Prescott looks like ****! Every thrown was behind his receiver. If that's what $240 million + gets you, I'll take a rookie QB! Prescott sucks! I know they made a comeback, but I saw a couple of his receivers get a little frustrated that the ball was thrown behind them.

Thoughts on Patterson in the 4th quarter? He had some monster 1st downs that let us run out the clock.
I was not really a fan of the signing originally, as it felt like a “just a guy” Smith was familiar with. After yesterday, I an being forced to reconsider that opinion. I think I would like to see him used more in the passing game too, he just seems to play “larger” than he is.

I am the biggest Najee detractor on here but his game yesterday was solid. He isn't quick or laterally explosive and isn't going to make something out of nothing type RB, He's no Leveon Bell he's never gonna put a stink leg on a defender with a brutal cut. But when he has an open lane and gets a few steps to grab a north south head of steam, lookout once he gets up to speed. He ran the ball HARD yesterday when he had a lane. Nice gains of 6-8 yards on early downs. The strong runs were offset by a few rushes for loss and a few plays where Fields should not have thrown him the ball as he was covered. Overall I would take that game from Harris every week.
I will admit I may have been wrong to underestimate Cordarelle Patterson. Dare I say he could not have looked better?
My biggest gripe this season with Tomlin is why rush these injured guys back and make the injuries much worse. Warren, Troy, Jones The list goes on. it's idiotic to play these guys hurt especially this early in the season. Looks like Troy is done and Warren may be as well. STUPID coaching decisions was definitely a major factor. Not to mention hurting the QB 1 preseason on a sled drill??

To be fair, rushing players back is a tradition that goes back to the start of the league.. head coaches typically dont have long term vision... they are trained to be focused on the next game ... they dont trust unproven guys... its not just Tomlin who does that stuff...

I was not really a fan of the signing originally, as it felt like a “just a guy” Smith was familiar with. After yesterday, I an being forced to reconsider that opinion. I think I would like to see him used more in the passing game too, he just seems to play “larger” than he is.
Patterson is going to the HOF as a returner one day.. I felt like they were shoehorning him into tge O and forcing stuff to him earlier... forcing that pass to him led to the pick

But he was fine as a late game changeup RB.. he still has speed and moves

Props to Trog listing the details and not the stats. Ask those LBs and DBs who were shying away from the contact late in the game, how impressive Harris was. We haven’t had a back like this since Bettis. Bell was more athletic and explosive, but Najee has a punishing style reminiscent of the Bus.

Props to Trog listing the details and not the stats. Ask those LBs and DBs who were shying away from the contact late in the game, how impressive Harris was. We haven’t had a back like this since Bettis. Bell was more athletic and explosive, but Najee has a punishing style reminiscent of the Bus.
I agree 100%. There's still times I wish Najee would just ram it into the line though instead of heading east west when there's nothing there.

LOL, yeah it’s the coach playing hurt guys. First, any player will tell you there is a difference in being “hurt” and being injured. The NFLPA has the league requiring the franchise’s medical professionals to approve players to participate when they are injured. Second, the HC only decides if a player is active based on the team docs and trainers. The game isn’t like “North Dallas Forty” which depicted the 60’s and 70’s era. There is way too much money invested in players and their union won’t allow haphazard actions to a player. Plus the league is under scrutiny by the “player safety” mafia to allow a coaching staff to mismanage a injured player.

LOL, yeah it’s the coach playing hurt guys. First, any player will tell you there is a difference in being “hurt” and being injured. The NFLPA has the league requiring the franchise’s medical professionals to approve players to participate when they are injured. Second, the HC only decides if a player is active based on the team docs and trainers. The game isn’t like “North Dallas Forty” which depicted the 60’s and 70’s era. There is way too much money invested in players and their union won’t allow haphazard actions to a player. Plus the league is under scrutiny by the “player safety” mafia to allow a coaching staff to mismanage a injured player.
The same medical professionals that let Tua get nearly knocked out of the NFL? Tomlins trademark has always been run 1 RB til the wheels fall off. Been that way until Warren proved his worth. This year with Warren being banged up preseason Tomlin should have let him get healthy, It's 100% on Tomlin

I dont think he will .. Not by a far sight.

Gary Anderson isnt even in the HOF yet.
Anderson was a K... they just dont put K's in

Patterson holds the KO return td record and should finish his career around top 50 all time in all purpose yards... he is a four time first team all pro.. that is extremely close to the profile that got Devin Hester elected this year as a PR...

He also was liked by the media... he is on lists of future HOF guys

Here is an espn prediction that he gets in with the 2033 class

Being a media darling absolutely helps when its the media voting for you🤣