• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............week 6 @ Raiders....

Fields is playing it safe as directed by Tomlin. This is Tomlins dream. Russ won't play unless injury or suck takes over Fields.

I see veteran qbs miss open WRs every game. Whether it is a throw or a read. To think Russ won't is mind boggling. Yet playing in a conservative system that we have. So go on thinking Russ will be perfect while EVERY other QB(elites) included misses them weekly. ....and no one is saying Fields is elite. And I am hoping at this point no one is saying Wilson is elite....especially coming off of an injury at 35 that has kept him out like 9 plus weeks....hasn't play meaningful game in all but a year. Where 2 teams have paid huge amounts of $$$$ to get him off their team. Smh

We are all so used to Ben never missing a throw or a read.
I can't ever remember him throwing an interception either.

Tyus Bowser interception//Roethlisberger misses wide open ...

Chris Mueller: Ben Roethlisberger responsible for turning ...​

Brown was mad that Ben Roethlisberger missed throwing him the ball on a play where he was so wide open, a touchdown would have been a near formality. Brown ..

Roethlisberger Regrets Not Seeing Wide-Open Finney In ...​

Big Ben misfires on deep pass, gets picked off by Randall​

Ben Roethlisberger Explains Why He Missed Chase ...​

Ben Roethlisberger looks pitiful in Steelers loss to Packers​

Great...we have Kordell Stewart 2.0 minus the raisenettes on his face.

How did that turn out again? :unsure:
That's an easy comparison to make, but it's not accurate. Fields is a much more accomplished passer. His career completion percentage is 61.2%; while not stellar, it's higher than any of the five seasons in which Kordell started more than ten games. Fields has a much higher TD%, a much lower INT%, etc., etc.

And I'm specifically talking about the playmaking that Fields brings to this current Steelers offense. Russ, even if he were still in his prime, is not going to come in and magically turn Van Jefferson into a big playmaker. They need those plays badly.

That's an easy comparison to make, but it's not accurate. Fields is a much more accomplished passer. His career completion percentage is 61.2%; while not stellar, it's higher than any of the five seasons in which Kordell started more than ten games. Fields has a much higher TD%, a much lower INT%, etc., etc.

And I'm specifically talking about the playmaking that Fields brings to this current Steelers offense. Russ, even if he were still in his prime, is not going to come in and magically turn Van Jefferson into a big playmaker. They need those plays badly.
Fields has for the most part thrown the ball fairly well this year. Yesterday was the exception.

It's interesting how people put so many people put so much emphasis on the need to have a H of F QB to win a Super Bowl. It's easier but not necessary. Marino never won a Super Bowl. Elway never won until Denver went with a strong running game.

We are all so used to Ben never missing a throw or a read.
I can't ever remember him throwing an interception either.

Tyus Bowser interception//Roethlisberger misses wide open ...

Chris Mueller: Ben Roethlisberger responsible for turning ...

Brown was mad that Ben Roethlisberger missed throwing him the ball on a play where he was so wide open, a touchdown would have been a near formality. Brown ..

Roethlisberger Regrets Not Seeing Wide-Open Finney In ...

Big Ben misfires on deep pass, gets picked off by Randall

Ben Roethlisberger Explains Why He Missed Chase ...

Ben Roethlisberger looks pitiful in Steelers loss to Packers

I'm no expert but man only six times in eighteen years seems pretty good to me. lol

I really don't want to get into stats as yesterday's NFL and todays NFL are different. They just are. I'm comparing two incredible dual threat athletes who are more talented runners than they are throwers. That's it. That is all I'm saying.

Fields has for the most part thrown the ball fairly well this year. Yesterday was the exception.

It's interesting how people put so many people put so much emphasis on the need to have a H of F QB to win a Super Bowl. It's easier but not necessary. Marino never won a Super Bowl. Elway never won until Denver went with a strong running game.
And the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer. Trent freaking Dilfer!

He has.

The big knocks on Fields coming in were his career record, and him being a "turnover machine." Well, he's now 4-2 with a grand total of two turnovers in six games -- one interception in 160 attempts and one lost fumble. So the haters need to find something else to complain about.

I'm not saying the Steelers are Super Bowl contenders, but given their offensive limitations, Fields affords them the best chance to win. And as long as he remains the starter and gains confidence, there is a chance he will improve as a passer, and become a legitimate long-term option at QB. I give Tomlin props for recognizing that.

I really don't want to get into stats as yesterday's NFL and todays NFL are different. They just are. I'm comparing two incredible dual threat athletes who are more talented runners than they are throwers. That's it. That is all I'm saying.
They are similar, but not the same. I have a ton more confidence in Fields as a passer than I did with Kordell. It just feels different to me. I distinctly remember Stewart being wildly inaccurate most of the time. Many of his passes were nowhere close. I don't see that with Fields. Some may disagree.

Donta Jackson. I think the Steelers got the better of the Dionte Johnson trade. The INT and another one that he almost had. This guy is a very good corner.
Jeremiah Moon. What a great job blocking that punt.
Calvin Austin. The fake catch of the punt causing the touchback was brilliant.

Arty Smith, please lose that triple reverse from the playbook.
Absolutely agree.

The triple reverse works IF Muth makes a better effort at the ROLB/RDE who destroys Justin...

But, I don't want to see that again EVEN IF Detroit ran the same exact play against Dallas for a TD.

Man....I simply love how he is always looking down the field to pass first instead of running. He missed a few passes especially one the one drive.....in the end we are not a pass first team. He plays within the system.

I think just because we have Russ on the team posters are hating on Fields more than if he wasn’t on the team. It is the what ifs. If Fields struggles or get hurt I hope Wilson can ce in win as Fields is doing. We are 4 and 2. Our 2 losses by a total of 6 points. We could easily be 5 and 1 or 6 and 0....and I still think posters would be hating on Fields.
Bingo.

Let's add the fact that Justin has not had a "Kenny-type" of game yet. We know what we were getting when he signed and when he took the reigns as QB1. I see a VAST improvement from his first three years in the league.

If and when Troy comes back at RT---I honestly believe Broderick gets the nod at LT. Prayfully, Frazier isn't out too long - I'd sit him for the next two and bring him back after the bye.

We absolutely could be 6-0 right now because both loses were 'on us' - and we lost those games, as you've stated (me too before) by SIX FREAKING POINTS!!!

I love the problem at QB...

work had me move from pittsburgh to chicago 5 yrs ago. So Ive seen all anyone would want to see of Justin fn Fields. still the same player he was in chicago. glare at 1st receiver, and if covered, force the ball anyway, or try to run away.
I am hoping Russ gets a shot and does what Flacco has been doing for the colts
Sorry bro, but you're 100% wrong. Justin, when he has the time, has scanned the field and made multiple reads BEFORE throwing or running. Kenny was what you were describing...

They are similar, but not the same. I have a ton more confidence in Fields as a passer than I did with Kordell. It just feels different to me. I distinctly remember Stewart being wildly inaccurate most of the time. Many of his passes were nowhere close. I don't see that with Fields. Some may disagree.
Well, where Kordell threw "worm burners", Fields is overthrowing. There is that difference ;)

Fields is definitely the better passer of the two, no question.

Justin's mechanics, especially his footwork, was off yesterday. I'm sure he'll see that in the film room and work on being more consistent.

There is probably two weeks a year where Watt doesn't get a game ball. If that.
I thought Queen played faster and I've been hard on him. Wilson played better. Like to see either limit elite TE though. Elliot is the second best player on this defense by a long way. Heyward was better. The centre stepping in. I think there is a really good line in there.
Fields was inaccurate but best day running. Jones has to play better vs elite then that. Bennie is a rollar coaster.

One of the talking heads show made the point today that until the offensive lines improves they can't put Russell in. He'd get killed.

One of the talking heads show made the point today that until the offensive lines improves they can't put Russell in. He'd get killed.

Somehow, Fields haters fail to understand what his running ability brings to the table, specifically for this team and its limited offensive capabilities. Several times a game this guy saves the Steelers' bacon by eluding almost definite sacks. I like Russ, but he simply cannot physically avoid the rush like he used to. And when they actually call the designed QB runs (like today when he had the entire middle of the field open) at the right times, Fields provides the big plays they so desperately need.

There is no way Tomlin is going to bench Fields anytime soon, and for once, I agree with him.
Also several times a game he hurts the team by missing open receivers, gets fear and pulls it down.

At 4-2, I think it would be hard to pull Fields. His legs are a dimension we haven't had in a loooooooong time. Keep working with him on the passing stuff. He has the talent. He needs to be more consistent.

He had no turnovers and 2 TD's (albeit with his legs) and the Win. I'll take that any day.

He threw a terrible pick in the red zone. Thankfully the Raiders roughed him up and took a penalty.

I was simply speculating with a big dash of sarcasm. Everyone on the here does that. Why is it everything comes down to mushrooms with you?
I replied because that might have been the most ridiculous speculation I have seen on here,so I just couldn’t help myself. . Coupling that with our other conversation that you began with me, I concluded you must be on something mind altering. Thus the mushrooms comment. (Its mushroom season in the Pacific Northwest they are trying to legalize it here in stores)
There you go. That’s my explanation.

With the cost structure of the NFL and both QBs and WRs getting insane contracts, if I were an owner, I’d be tempted to invest $s and draft picks on the best OL and defensive playmakers, have 2-3 big durable RBs, a 3rd down back and just run teams over and keep their offense on the sideline.

The worm population of Pittsburgh threw a gigantic party the day Kordell no longer was the Steelers qb.

You are drunk and that's not a bad thing but this is a huge win and to try to characterize it any other way is clown behavior
Great...we have Kordell Stewart 2.0 minus the raisenettes on his face.

How did that turn out again? :unsure:
Let's see your supermodel face, mookie