• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............week 9 vs Titans....

Deion Sanders was ridiculed for his tackling ability, but no DB could neutralize a WR like he could.

I mean the dude was a genuine wuss. He used to duck away from RB's running at him.
Yes you can see Porter is engaging. He needs to work on technique till he eats enough "potatoes "

Porter couldn't tackle my grandmother. You'd think his pops would have taught him better fundamentals when Junior was growing up. And he's got to learn how to use his hands better in bump-and-run coverage. Shlt he used to get away with in the Big Ten isn't going to fly in the NFL, and we saw that tonight.

Warren runs every play like it's his last one in the league. He ran straight over some dude (believe it was #24, I'll have to watch it again), and it was a beuatiful thing.
I think that “dude” had more than 30#s weight advantage as well.

Saluter the nation

Yes you can see Porter is engaging. He needs to work on technique till he eats enough "potatoes "
I like that he wants to take on a teams best WR. He is eager to develop...

Our punter rocks.!

I missed a small portion of the game, but I also think our LS rocks as well.

ALSO, the medical personal both team(s) and stadium rock as well.

Salute the nation

I'll describe this team as Scrappy! They are far from perfect and the offense is a disaster at times but they fought throughout this game tonight and I applaud the effort of the players. This was a difficult game for the Steelers on the injury front as we lost Motravious Adams on the first series and Cole Holcomb on the second defensive series. Holcomb's injury looked pretty serious.....I hope it's not season ending but it didn't look good at all. Adams going down meant they had to rely on Loudermilk & Leal to step up and fill the void left by Adams who is quietly been having a good year. Despite Adams going down the Steelers were able to hold the Titans running game in check for most of the game. The O-Line looked better tonight than it has all season and it's obvious to me Broderick Jones needs to be in the starting lineup....at either LT or RT. If that means benching Okorafor or Moore...then bench them. Honestly I think Dan Moore could be a better option at LG than Isaac Semulo (he can't pass block it's been a problem all season). Broderick Jones had some key blocks tonight getting to the second level often and you saw that tonight on the Steelers opening TD drive with the Najee Harris TD run. The running game also looked much better tonight (166 yds rushing 5.53 YPC) and Jaylen Warren had himself a game with 112 yds from scrimmage. I still think Kenny Pickett is not seeing the field very well in his second year. He locks onto a WR and just throws it at him. On that 3rd & Goal before the Half he threw low to Robinson but just to Robinson's left he had Conner Heyward open for the easy TD as he beat his man and the Safety wouldn't have been able to stop Heyward from the endzone....instead they had to settle for a Chris Boswell 30yd FG. Definitely an improvement tonight for the offense as we only saw 2x 3 & OUT drives the entire game. Another 4th Quarter come from behind win for Kenny Pickett I think that makes 6 4th Quarter come from behind victories but man I'd sure like to see him be more accurate throwing the football.....3 passes tonight to wide open WR's that would have went for big gains if he hits those WR's in stride......Pickett has to improve his game in that department.

Defensively there were alot of penalties early.....5 on the opening drive & they gave up too many 2nd & long, 3rd & long pass plays up to a Rookie QB in Will Levis to setup 3rd & short or give up a first down on plays where that shouldn't happen. I think that has more to do with Teryl Austin & scheme than talent on this Defense. Patrick Peterson seemed to struggle lined up at Safety but he did make a nice pass breakup late in the game on 3rd down to force a punt. That holding penalty on Joey Jr at the end of the game was absolute bullshit and I almost lost my sanity seeing that flag get called. Cam Heyward looked solid and fresh in his return to the Steelers Defense and definitely helped keep the Titans running game to a minimum and Keanu Benton needs more reps....he's unblockable at times and very disruptive in the middle of this Defense.

Make this the 8th game in a row where the Steelers have been outgained from a yardage standpoint How this team is 5-3 I don't know. It's sure nice to see this team at 5-3 at the midway point of the season instead or 4-4 as we enter a mini-bye week. Once more home game as we host the Packers and I'd sure like to see this team hit a tough road stretch at 6-3 after Green Bay. Let's enjoy this one and hope they continue to improve offensively.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Montravious Adams - Ankle and he wasn't able to return
Cole Holcomb - Serious Knee Injury that's being evaluated...update soon but Tomlin said it's serious

Game Balls:
Jaylen Warren - 11 car 88 yds, 3 rec 25 yds - great effort and great game for Jaylen tonight. Love his heart!
Dionte Johnson - 7 rec 90 yds 1 TD.....Johnson's first TD in 668 Days.....and first TD from someone not named Roethlisberger
Broderick Jones - This kid was a BEAST on the O-line tonight. He should never sit on the bench ever again unless he's hurt!
Keanu Benton - He gets great pressure whenever he's in there....tonight was no different. He needs more reps
Cam Heyward - Welcome Back Cam 6 tackles tonight and he helped keep Henry and the Titan's running game in check!
Alex Highsmith - Good pressure all night tonight 2 sacks to boot!
Elandon Roberts - 9 tackles tonight....stepped up when Cole Holcomb went down with a serious knee injury. He's a thumper!

Game Goats:
George Pickens - Gotta toe drag that left foot....should have had an easy TD.....he still needs more targets each game....just throw it up to him

FU's:
Matt Canada - Keep your *** on the sidelines and not in the press box! Your still a terrible OC....gotta do better than 20 points per game there Matt! 9 more games with this bum as our OC!
I love that you think that.

They are WELL within reach of 8-8-1 or even 9-1.
He's a gol'darned HERO!

I heard that the Steelers are the first team since 1960 to be outgained in each of their first eight games and have a winning record.

Yes that was posted somewhere here.

Anywho that can't be sustainable. They will need to do better on offense in every phase.

FU to ALL our 3rd down penalties once we have made a play to get our D off the field...

It seemed to me there were at least 3 on the first drive & 2 more in the 4th Qtr last night...

That junks gotta stop especially on a 3rd down stop

I don't get this team at all. They play 10-15 minutes of impressive football each week and somehow manage to win. It's nuts.

On my ride in this morning, I was listening to the show "Unsportsmanlike" and according to them Tomlin is the greatest coach in the NFL because he can win when he has good players (Big Ben era) and he can win when he doesn't have good players (now). I think they have several good players now, so I'm not sure of what they were talking about.

Also, I was at 3rd SFG this morning and there was a TV on in the office. There was no sound, and I'm not sure what the show was, but they were talking about Jaylen Hurts and showing highlights of him. One thing that stood out in the package they had assembled was that every catch made by AJ Brown was contested. Some of them by two defenders. And I found myself wondering why the Steelers do not attempt to use Pickens in a similar manner. I mean, there's no reward without risk. Wishful thinking I guess.

Porter kept Hopkins to 17 yards, he was man to man two out of three times. Other was zone, he may not be Rod Woodson with physicality but JHC, what are you complaining about.
I'm complaining about Porter's shltty tackling and several penalties, the last of which almost cost the Steelers the game. Or did you miss all of that?

Porter is lengthy but he’s small. He may be the skinniest NFL player I’ve ever seen so I just don’t think he’s as strong as the guys he matches up against and that contributes to his poor tackling.
Skinnier than DeVonta Smith?

I'll take his coverage over tackling issues thank you.
I'd have preferred a cornerback who can do both with the 32nd pick in the draft, thank you.

I heard that the Steelers are the first team since 1960 to be outgained in each of their first eight games and have a winning record.
Yep--

That is what is called your Head Coach keeping things together in the room, and having his men believe despite the what it looks or feels like.

I'm complaining about Porter's shltty tackling and several penalties, the last of which almost cost the Steelers the game. Or did you miss all of that?
Based on the Steelers recent history of drafting CBs, Porter is far ahead of the game. His coverage has been very good and the "hold" wasn't a hold. Of all the things to complain about JPJ should be way down on the list. His tackling/ technique should get better unless Tomlin ruins him

The penalties were all ticky tacky---

especially the "hold" on the last drive...just BullShat!
Maybe the last call was questionable and could have gone either way, however his hands were on the receiver. But Porter didn't deserve the 15-yard facemask penalty when tackling Spears by the facemask, and he wasn't offsides and/or using his hands illegally on the play that cost Highsmith a third sack and kept the Titans intial drive going on a 3rd-and-8? OK.

Based on the Steelers recent history of drafting CBs, Porter is far ahead of the game. His coverage has been very good and the "hold" wasn't a hold. Of all the things to complain about JPJ should be way down on the list. His tackling/ technique should get better unless Tomlin ruins him
I guess you didn't watch the first drive either. People see what they want to see.

I'm not saying Porter can't or won't develop better tackling skills. What I said was that I'm surprised his fundamentals are so poor given that his father was a very good defensive player in the NFL for over a decade.

Yep--

That is what is called your Head Coach keeping things together in the room, and having his men believe despite the what it looks or feels like.
Or it could be called favorable scheduling -- three wins against losing teams, a four-point win (which required two defensive touchdowns) over a 4-3 team, and a win over a good team who had a bad day at the office with at least six dropped passes.