• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............week 9 vs Titans....

I heard that the Steelers are the first team since 1960 to be outgained in each of their first eight games and have a winning record.

Try ONLY team at this point in the season, who has been out-gained........ to have a winning record.

Salute the nation

I heard that the Steelers are the first team since 1960 to be outgained in each of their first eight games and have a winning record.

Try ONLY team at this point in the season, who has been out-gained........ to have a winning record.

Salute the nation
Outgained is one thing, outgained in all eight games is another.

OK, out gained in all games this year and still has a winning record———— Clear enough? It goes back further than 1960, I believe all time NFL.

CheeriO godo chap / chap-let

Salute the nation

Porter couldn't tackle my grandmother. You'd think his pops would have taught him better fundamentals when Junior was growing up. And he's got to learn how to use his hands better in bump-and-run coverage. Shlt he used to get away with in the Big Ten isn't going to fly in the NFL, and we saw that tonight.

I have heard that several times and wonder if those who make that claim actually watch NFL games. Defensive backs have their hands on receivers every play. If they don't, they are running full tilt trying to catch the guy heading for the endzone. The one receiver who may not suffer that treatment is Diontae Johnson. If a defensive back tries to jam DJ, DJ shakes him off and is running wide open. It's like trying to jam a hologram.

I'd have preferred a cornerback who can do both with the 32nd pick in the draft, thank you.
you are correct. The kid should be AllPro already.

just like #43 was in his first season.

I have heard that several times and wonder if those who make that claim actually watch NFL games. Defensive backs have their hands on receivers every play. If they don't, they are running full tilt trying to catch the guy heading for the endzone. The one receiver who may not suffer that treatment is Diontae Johnson. If a defensive back tries to jam DJ, DJ shakes him off and is running wide open. It's like trying to jam a hologram.
Obviously, I'm not talking about within five yards of the ball. I'm talking about after the receiever releases down the field. Porter has to learn how to use his hands at the line of scrimmage effectively, then keep them to himself downfield until the ball gets there. He got away with sticking his hands on the receiver too long in college. They don't let defensive backs get away with that as much in the NFL. It's really not that hard to grasp the concept. Watch some NFL games and see how commonly defensive holding or illegal contact is called -- it may help you understand.

you are correct. The kid should be AllPro already.

just like #43 was in his first season.
Yes, because that's exactly what I said. Good point.

Obviously, I'm not talking about within five yards of the ball. I'm talking about after the receiever releases down the field. Porter has to learn how to use his hands at the line of scrimmage effectively, then keep them to himself downfield until the ball gets there. He got away with sticking his hands on the receiver too long in college. They don't let defensive backs get away with that as much in the NFL. It's really not that hard to grasp the concept. Watch some NFL games and see how commonly defensive holding or illegal contact is called -- it may help you understand.
I think that wasn't the case in his final season. He improved the excess of contact severely iirc

I think that wasn't the case in his final season. He improved the excess of contact severely iirc
Any improvement Porter showed in that department at Penn State hasn't carried over into his NFL career thus far. Not saying that it won't eventually, though. For a young player, he has good coverage skills for the most part. Either he'll learn how to tackle or he won't; let's hope it's the former.