• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Get used to it.

Tomlin may be the only HC that has coached for as long as him without a single branch on the coaching tree. Even Mike Mccarthy has a coaching tree.. maybe not a good one but still has one. Tomlin has nothing. It's unheard of really.
This is where good coaches go to die. Adrian Klemm saw the chicken shI+ they put in his lap and asked him to make chicken soup. He was like I' out. I am not saying Canada is a good coach and I am not arguing coaches seem to not go anywhere after here. But who's fault is that? Arians was forced retired and he ended up getting a shot and proved he was a more than capable coach. Haley, Fichtner and soon to be Canada likely never coach at this level ever again. But how much is their fault vs having to coach under Tomlin. We might never know.

I actually think their pass protection has been very good. Run blocking is improving also but lagging a bit. This Oline is far better than what they had last year.
The only way this OL is better is the subtraction of Green from it (the highest drafted O lineman of the last decade by the Steelers). Cole is barely better than Hass, which is debatable…but at least neither one of them is as bad as Green was.

They are likely somewhere around 20-25th best right now, but are slowly improving from the 30-32nd best they looked like in preseason.

The run blocking is poor at best and the pass blocking aided by all the short 1 read throws. The OL is but one of many weak links in our offensive chain, not the weakest anymore (which they looked like in preseason) but still one of many weak links.

He already has a good team around him. Better than average Oline and a good receiving corps and excellent RBs. What more can you ask for? Defensively they might be rebuilding/retooling but it's no different than 2013.
A better than average High School offensive line.

We as team are losing our identity. First it was the run offense now it’s the run defense… both are what make a team a consistent winner which of late we are not. Haven’t had a nose guard since Casey, a middle linebacker since Farrior, lock down corner since Ike, a pulling guard since faneca, those were all cowher guys. They weren’t replaced because the new staff wanted to do things different. we are different team that’s for sure. like ford said this is the new now and it’s sucking! The new now isn’t without irony as to why the new guys are failing “let’s replace smashmouth with run and shoot, let’s get a bunch of crazy good receivers then hire Mitch tribusky to throw the ball to them!!!” Half of the equation is obviously flawed! Coach Tomlin has shown himself to be, if nothing else, resilient. hell start kenny and be redeemed…. Someday.

Last edited:
LMAO...what team are you talking about?
I think he is right, I don’t think the line is anywhere near as bad as the putrid play calling has made it look. I think that has been the case for 3 years dating back to Randy Sphincter. The offense has lived in their fears for three years and are way too risk adverse to the point they have neutered themselves. They don’t put the line in the best position to just go maul people and yard too afraid of it’s and sacks. This is one of my few complaints with Tomlin. He is playing to scared on offense and just needs to say **** it and go full balls to the wall aggressive, but on the right downs and situations and I am not sure Canada is capable of that.

We have been spoiled for the last fifteen years, quality players we have had, leadership, playmakers. We all seen this coming, and this year has started off as most thought. This past week the finger pointing, QB, OC, HC, players on side lines blaming this and that. Too much local flavor on Kenny being the guy , in reality will we see much difference. We all want the new guy to be the stud, make plays, come from behind, long drive, take up to the playoffs. Too many other variables, defense that we stroke yet cannot get off the field. We seem to have lost physicality, tackling skills are not high on the chart. Offense we have to admit receivers do not seem to get the separation we see in other teams; receivers as last year drop too many passes in key situations. So OK bring in Kenny will any of the negative things change? We will be playing some good defenses after the Jet game, do the Steelers really want to but Kenny in a situation that he might not succeed?

I think he is right, I don’t think the line is anywhere near as bad as the putrid play calling has made it look. I think that has been the case for 3 years dating back to Randy Sphincter. The offense has lived in their fears for three years and are way too risk adverse to the point they have neutered themselves. They don’t put the line in the best position to just go maul people and yard too afraid of it’s and sacks. This is one of my few complaints with Tomlin. He is playing to scared on offense and just needs to say **** it and go full balls to the wall aggressive, but on the right downs and situations and I am not sure Canada is capable of that.
The whole offense is hamstrung. You see players unsure, cautious, making mistakes at nearly every position. Something is wrong for sure, and it isn't going to get fixed entirely by starting Kenny Pickett. I'm not opposed to starting him, not at all. I thought he should start out of training camp. But in this offense, with these coaches, will we really know what we have in Kenny Pickett? I'd say no, and all it will do is sour fans against a kid that has a bright future, because in Pittsburgh, changing quarterbacks will magically fix everything else, even if it doesn't.

The whole offense is hamstrung. You see players unsure, cautious, making mistakes at nearly every position. Something is wrong for sure, and it isn't going to get fixed entirely by starting Kenny Pickett. I'm not opposed to starting him, not at all. I thought he should start out of training camp. But in this offense, with these coaches, will we really know what we have in Kenny Pickett? I'd say no, and all it will do is sour fans against a kid that has a bright future, because in Pittsburgh, changing quarterbacks will magically fix everything else, even if it doesn't.
You may be right and I would rather change OC and QB. My only hope in changing QB without changing OC is how Canada called plays for Kenny in the preseason. If, and this is a big IF, he continued to call them like he did then it would be a welcome difference from how he is doing things now.

Going to be a rough season I believe...with or without Kenny on the field of play.

He will be starting after the Jets game loss...

Yep---I said it.
Yeah someone says it every week

Mikey’s house of Fears is soundproofed though, he ain’t hearing it

While the Steelers have been, and will always be, my team, the current version isn't worth my emotional investment.

I want them to win every weekend, and will have the game on, but it just might be background noise while I make better use of my time.

I mean, if Deuce doesn't care, why should the fans?

Shades will incrementally improve and will this team to at least 8-8-1 and keep that "no losing seasons" streak intact.
A Super Bowl appearance is out of the question and he may never win another playoff game but hey, never a losing season.

Not a tough, gritty team. Tomlin opts for a finesse team. Tomlins ballet ensemble.

The only way this OL is better is the subtraction of Green from it (the highest drafted O lineman of the last decade by the Steelers). Cole is barely better than Hass, which is debatable…but at least neither one of them is as bad as Green was.

They are likely somewhere around 20-25th best right now, but are slowly improving from the 30-32nd best they looked like in preseason.

The run blocking is poor at best and the pass blocking aided by all the short 1 read throws. The OL is but one of many weak links in our offensive chain, not the weakest anymore (which they looked like in preseason) but still one of many weak links.

That irks the hell out of me.
Those responsible for scouting and recommending Green should be fired.
"Welcome to the NFL" had to have really hit home with Green.

Last edited:
You may be right and I would rather change OC and QB. My only hope in changing QB without changing OC is how Canada called plays for Kenny in the preseason. If, and this is a big IF, he continued to call them like he did then it would be a welcome difference from how he is doing things now.
He's not calling them like he did for Trubisky, so I can't imagine he would change much for Pickett. Canada will stunt the professional growth of any player that plays in his system. Hell, it was enough to convince Pittsburgh fans to want to run a future hall of famer out of town because he was "the problem" in Canada's offense.

I think we can all agree that Ben was pretty much done, but I'm certain he could still play at THIS level of offensive acumen.

What’s the chances of bringing Ben back with full OC powers as a player coach?

Let him play QB and just call all his own plays

One last hoo-rah

Would much rather watch that than this load of horse ****

This is a coach. I wish we had one.

He's not calling them like he did for Trubisky, so I can't imagine he would change much for Pickett. Canada will stunt the professional growth of any player that plays in his system. Hell, it was enough to convince Pittsburgh fans to want to run a future hall of famer out of town because he was "the problem" in Canada's offense.

I think we can all agree that Ben was pretty much done, but I'm certain he could still play at THIS level of offensive acumen.

BEN showed how he could play when he threw out O'Canada's play calling and had 7 come-back wins last season.

It is the OC play calling and partiual system that is the root cause of what we are seeing. To bad the man in charge isn't seeing it.

Salute the nation

BEN showed how he could play when he threw out O'Canada's play calling and had 7 come-back wins last season.

It is the OC play calling and partiual system that is the root cause of what we are seeing. To bad the man in charge isn't seeing it.

Salute the nation
Fairly obvious that Coach T thought the QB play and limitations around mobility due to playing at a very high level for many years in the league, was what was hampering the overall success of Canada’s system .

That has to the reason that Canada was allowed to stay with the organization, and the QB has moved on to his life’s work.

Sorry but the notion Tomlin retires any time soon is laughable

Fairly obvious that Coach T thought the QB play and limitations around mobility due to playing at a very high level for many years in the league, was what was hampering the overall success of Canada’s system .

That has to the reason that Canada was allowed to stay with the organization, and the QB has moved on to his life’s work.

I hear yaz steel dino, was just using Ben's ability to show it wasn't the QB last year that was the problem (I know that is subjective), but more the play calling.

Salute the nation

Yes, unfortunately he does just enough, just in time, to make him seem appealing. Too bad he is not an innovator.
I read an article yesterday that named Tomlin on a luke warm seat discussing coaches and their situations. It's significant as it's the first article i've seen where a sport writer even considered adding his name to the list. I know it's a pipe dream for many, but the longer this losing goes on, the more Mike T will be exposed. Players already talking about a rebuilding year...wonder where they got that notion.