• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Get used to it.

I read an article yesterday that named Tomlin on a luke warm seat discussing coaches and their situations. It's significant as it's the first article i've seen where a sport writer even considered adding his name to the list. I know it's a pipe dream for many, but the longer this losing goes on, the more Mike T will be exposed. Players already talking about a rebuilding year...wonder where they got that notion.
In the great time of wokeness even a little criticism of a minority makes you a bigot. Doesn't matter how deserving it is. Look at Mike McCarthy and Green Bay. He beat Tomlin in a super bowl and after only 2 losing seasons, 7-9 and 4-7-1 (only made it to game 12) he was out on his ear. I am hoping beyond hope that if Tomlin can't finally prove he is a playoff winning coach without a hall of fame QB that the Steelers just part ways after his 2024 contract expires. And I REALLY hope Art the Deuce lets Dan Rooney take over in 2025 allowing a new prospective and leadership to prevail. We have the smallest salaried coaching staff in the league. We need to get better from the top to the bottom and it really starts with the President of the team.

We hear players say we are " rebuilding". But Tomlin didn't build a team. He inherited Cowhers team and tried to keep it viable. Players and coaches have moved on. The question to the fans is....can Tomlin build a playoff caliber team? If you don't think he can, who do you suggest?

We hear players say we are " rebuilding". But Tomlin didn't build a team. He inherited Cowhers team and tried to keep it viable. Players and coaches have moved on. The question to the fans is....can Tomlin build a playoff caliber team? If you don't think he can, who do you suggest?
Depends. What do you define as a playoff caliber team? A team that can make the playoffs, or a team that can win in the playoffs? He has built the former, can't seem to build the latter. Personally, I think it is his offensive and defensive philosophies holding him back far more than personnel. He has and has had the personnel. For some reason, they don't do especially well in the post season.

Now, even more cracks are showing the last few years with what most people would agree are (mostly) talented rosters, yet the product is soft and ugly. I think the problem is his philosophies. They are outdated, easy to beat and he refuses to change. I would bet damn near any NFL caliber coach could get this team with its current personnel into the post season with at least some post season success. But that's just me. I've watched a slow and steady decline of this franchise's moxy, and if something isn't soon changed for the better, the Steelers will be rounding 3rd headed into 1999-2019 Cleveland Browns territory.

I know TJ Watt is injured, but if one person being absent sinks your entire defense, your defense is built on a house of cards. Also, there are good and bad QB's. Somehow, Cooper Rush is playing like a world beater, but Mitch Trubisky can't throw for more than about a buck sixty. I think Trubisky is better than he has shown. He was better in Chicago, and while I understand that is a low bar, he didn't forget how to play the game. There is something wrong in this franchise. Has been for a while now.

I sincerely hope that they don't ruin Kenny Pickett.

Last edited:
I like Byron Leftwich. He has some Pittsburgh ties and has done a nice job in Tampa running the offense. If you want to go young, new exciting, Ben Johnson from the Lions has really done some nice things. He's only 36 and the Steelers seem to like to go young with their head coaches. Kenny Dorsey fits that bill as well. He has cut his teeth in scouting administration and coaching along with being a player. If you want to go more defensive route Leslie Frazier has tons of experience. Long in the tooth but knows his stuff. DeMeco Ryans would fit the younger coordinator that is up and coming. Joe Barry has a lot of experience but has never been given a chance.