• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Getting it right...................STEELERS not interested

As someone who has run a very profitable business, I would never make 2 major changes at one time. They finally got rid of Canada after his system made 5 QB’s look like dogshit, one of whom will be a HoF’er. They also just invested in a 1st round QB, so while you can make some judgments, you always see what the first change results are before making another. KP will get 24 under the new guy, possibly even 25 if he shows something. Personally, I think next year is the earliest to go QB early again.

That's two SB rings for Mr. Oladokun; one for '22 season and one for the '23 season.

Thank you SIR, I was near on the right track in numbers, but definitely on course.

Salute the nation

Kenny has the worst TD% of ANY QB in NFL history with 500 attempts. That ain't good, as they say. They kept Mark Malone around for a long time after drafting him, how did that turn out? Just because "their way" is the "Steeler way" doesn't make it right in 2024. What may have made sense in the 70's and 80's doesn't automatically make it make sense today. Most of Kenny's faults are not from the offensivesive system; locking on to his prime receiver every play, for instance. Getting "happy feet" too early, when there isn't any pressure, for another. Not seeing wide open targets for another. Missing wide open receivers from poor throws is another.
Kenny has work to do, no doubt about it. My point was he ain’t going anywhere in 24.
He will get every opportunity to turn this around this next season so it’s up to him to work on his mechanics and take major steps forward and to grasp Arthur’s offense.
We should all be pulling for him to beg the best he can be and I for one am in his corner.
And no I’m not a Pitt alumni!

Meh his dynamic athleticism allows him to recover most of the fumbles he has...

Now if he could just figure out how to recover the interceptions he throws……….. he’d be set.!

Salute the nation

As someone who has run a very profitable business, I would never make 2 major changes at one time. They finally got rid of Canada after his system made 5 QB’s look like dogshit, one of whom will be a HoF’er. They also just invested in a 1st round QB, so while you can make some judgments, you always see what the first change results are before making another. KP will get 24 under the new guy, possibly even 25 if he shows something. Personally, I think next year is the earliest to go QB early again.

My good brother- running an HVAC company or a pizza shop, no matter how profitable, is even comparable to running a multi-billion dollar franchise. You have to be continuously improving with an organization of this manner. In every facet, including the QB room. And running back KP is not improving.

And a new coordinator isn't going to magically fix his shoddy accuracy. Or his awful pocket presence. Or his pedestrian arm strength and athleticism.

Can one of the Pitt fans please tell me what you see in Kenny Pickett? Just about every fanbase and sports analysts in the country can see that our QB room is a mess.

And don't tell me about '4th quarter comebacks' or moxie, because Tim Tebow had plenty of that and still sucked at QB.
Not a Pitt fan and I can simply Canada was just that bad. I mean as much as yinz want to ignore his improvement game AC (after Canada) simply because he didn't score enough, He did significantly improve in every other meaningful way in that game. Name a QB that did well with Canada calling plays. Not even Ben. This is a new day and new system, let's wait and see what happens.

Interceptions are not a great argument for Pickett fans, considering his rather underwhelming 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

MY conversation was about Justin Fields and his massive turn overs, be it fumble or interceptions.

Picket is about a 13 : 13 ratio.

Salute the nation

Not a Pitt fan and I can simply Canada was just that bad. I mean as much as yinz want to ignore his improvement game AC (after Canada) simply because he didn't score enough, He did significantly improve in every other meaningful way in that game. Name a QB that did well with Canada calling plays. Not even Ben. This is a new day and new system, let's wait and see what happens.

Definately a wait and see. But one must also agree on Kenny needs to work REAL hard at his weaknesses during the off-season. All indications are that he is a hard worker, so results need to come.

We should know by game 5-7 if he and the new system are compatible. Keep in mind that “happy feet” scrambling into pressure / sacks, missing on wide open throws, telegraphing / locking in on one read,…… are all QB issues, not just scheme.

The ability to move with-in the pocket “Pocket Presence” is a must for any NFL QB, Pickett needs to exhibit those traits and pretty fast to start the season. Either he has it or he don’t, but lets not waste another two years to find out.

Salute the nation

Also consider! Kenny doesn’t need to play at an all pro level. He doesn’t even need to be a pro bowl QB.
Kenny can throw for 25 TDs, 3500 yards, low ints,
Kenny has 13 TDs in 25 games. He straight up needs to put up those stats next year to have any confidence moving forward, but on his realistic trajectory, just reaching 25 career TDs next year with be a big accomplishment. Up until his senior year, he had a poor TD:INT ratio through his first three years before he exploded. To be fair, the Steelers did not set Pickett up for success, particularly with a porous OL and a terrible OC who did not play to Pickett's strengths. However, Pickett's faults have been exposed and even amplified in the NFL as he is facing tougher defenses. It's tough to lead a team when none of your strengths show up and all of your weaknesses are highlighted.

In the perfect world, if they're sticking with Pickett, I sign either a legit C or RT in free agency. I trade DJ and package a pick to move up and get one of the stud receivers (Rome Odunze would be my top target). Then grab a starting C or RT in the second round. Again, use one of the 4ths to move up. It's not a deep draft, so get quality while you can.

Five legit pieces along the OL, a backfield with Harris and Warren, two-deep at TE, with Odunze, Pickens, and hopefully a WR3 not named Allen Robinson is a strong foundation for any QB.

My good brother- running an HVAC company or a pizza shop, no matter how profitable, is even comparable to running a multi-billion dollar franchise. You have to be continuously improving with an organization of this manner. In every facet, including the QB room. And running back KP is not improving.

And a new coordinator isn't going to magically fix his shoddy accuracy. Or his awful pocket presence. Or his pedestrian arm strength and athleticism.
I have to laugh at all youz guyz that think, just because someone wants to be SURE of a player before shitcanning them, that they don’t also see the need for drastic improvements. KP definitely has some serious work to do in the off season, and it may very well turn out that he is not the answer. Myself, I would want to see what he does with a qualified OC first.

Honestly though, I don’t look for much of a change from Canada to Smith, as Tomlin still makes ALL THE DECISIONS on what scheme is run. Tomlin’s philosophy has not changed, nor will it going forward, so look for more of the same this year. The best thing for the team AND KP would have been Tomlin‘s departure, by retirement or firing.

I have to laugh at all youz guyz that think, just because someone wants to be SURE of a player before shitcanning them, that they don’t also see the need for drastic improvements. KP definitely has some serious work to do in the off season, and it may very well turn out that he is not the answer. Myself, I would want to see what he does with a qualified OC first.

Honestly though, I don’t look for much of a change from Canada to Smith, as Tomlin still makes ALL THE DECISIONS on what scheme is run. Tomlin’s philosophy has not changed, nor will it going forward, so look for more of the same this year. The best thing for the team AND KP would have been Tomlin‘s departure, by retirement or firing.
^
| This. Bring in a new OC and Tomlin handcuffs him with his bullshit Offense philosophy. wash, rinse, repeat. I hope I'm wrong, but I see more of the same in this factory of sadness that Tomlin demands of his OC

^
| This. Bring in a new OC and Tomlin handcuffs him with his bullshit Offense philosophy. wash, rinse, repeat. I hope I'm wrong, but I see more of the same in this factory of sadness that Tomlin demands of his OC
I guess I am just hoping that being a former successful OC and seeing Rooney being annoyed with the lack of playoff success drives him to lay off Smith and allow him to run his ship.

Really would be in Tomlin's best interest to let him do his thing.

The constant has been Coach Tomlin, we have seen the constant reminder(s). Untill there is a change in the constant, the same will continue to employ.

My hope, like many is that the new OC is strong enough to say “Hey, back off Mike, I’ve got a job to do as explained to me by Mr. Rooney. He wants wins but more importantly PLAYOFF wins, so let me do that”

Salute the nation

Last edited:

^

Here is the issue with that argument: When did Tomlin adopt this ultra conservative philosophy?

• Because he DEFINITELY was not conservative when we had Big Ben.
  • He also wasn't particularly 'conservative' when Rudolph was under center.

Could it be that he was being conservative the last two years to hide the weaknesses of his QB's? And given the TD:INT of both KP and Trub's, that was totally the right call.

Kenny has 13 TDs in 25 games. He straight up needs to put up those stats next year to have any confidence moving forward, but on his realistic trajectory, just reaching 25 career TDs next year with be a big accomplishment. Up until his senior year, he had a poor TD:INT ratio through his first three years before he exploded. To be fair, the Steelers did not set Pickett up for success, particularly with a porous OL and a terrible OC who did not play to Pickett's strengths. However, Pickett's faults have been exposed and even amplified in the NFL as he is facing tougher defenses. It's tough to lead a team when none of your strengths show up and all of your weaknesses are highlighted.

In the perfect world, if they're sticking with Pickett, I sign either a legit C or RT in free agency. I trade DJ and package a pick to move up and get one of the stud receivers (Rome Odunze would be my top target). Then grab a starting C or RT in the second round. Again, use one of the 4ths to move up. It's not a deep draft, so get quality while you can.

Five legit pieces along the OL, a backfield with Harris and Warren, two-deep at TE, with Odunze, Pickens, and hopefully a WR3 not named Allen Robinson is a strong foundation for any QB.
I’m aware of what Kenny has done, I’m telling you what Kenny needs to do in order to be successful.
Some people and I’m not suggesting you, but some think our QB has to put up elite numbers and I’m saying it’s not necessarily.
I think Kenny in a good sound system with a few more pieces added to this offense, namely a legit center, a quality receiver added, a RT after Broderick moves to LT will vastly improve on his numbers.
This is Tomlin’s fault for thinking he could keep a HS coach as Kenny’s OC. He’s a ******* moron!
I would love to see Kenny in a real coach’s system like Kyle Shanahan and put Purdy over here the last two years.
Jeez, opposing players were yelling out our plays they were so predictable but what did shades do, keeps Canada around until he’s forced to fire him.
I was always concerned when Ben retired that shades would botch the QB situation when given that responsibility and he has.
Kenny will be fine now that we hired a real OC and I think Arthur Smith will being out Kenny’s best.

Here is the issue with that argument: When did Tomlin adopt this ultra conservative philosophy?
When Todd Haley was fired. You have to ask yourself why the Steelers fired an offensive coordinator who produced 4 of the top 8 offensive seasons in Steeler's history? Haley has a reputation of being "difficult" and early on he and Ben didn't like on another, or at least that is what we were being told. If "difficult" translates to being one to push back and hold his ground, which I believe to be the case here, then that could be the reason.

Insert Mike's buddy Randy and all of us, if we're being honest, knew that any offensive success came when Ben started to call his own plays. If the Steelers were struggling and Ben ran the two minute offense, it started to hum baby. Randy had to go as even Ben couldn't mask the turd any longer. Same with Canada.

If you bring in Mitch as a veteran and tell him to throw short and leave the middle of the field alone, you're a moron. If you run the same 10 plays every week, you're a moron. When you have opponents telling the media they know the Steeler's plays and you run them the following week, you're a moron. Insert Eddie and all of a sudden, the playbook is opened and so is the entire field to KP? Tomlin was on record with an attitude of "what do we have to lose" mentality so it's not out of the question to believe he took his hand cuffs off. It's also not out of the question to believe if Mike Tomlin mettled in the defensive calls and schemes, that he would also do the same in the offense.

Arthur Smith has eyes. If he thinks Pickett is a basket case, I'm sure he'll let someone know before the draft.
He may have eyes but he also know you agree with the guy signing your check, for that reason, Smith already has spoken of Kenny with inspiring words; they had a "great meeting." Smith knows who is signing his check. They will agree to agree.
He dynamically ******* sucks. If they want to trade for someone. I'd trade for CJ Stroud in a flash if it could be done. I doubt the Texans would give him up.

Yea, I highly double doubt the Texans would trade CJ for anything. You don't trade away the most productive rookie QB since Marino.

When Todd Haley was fired. You have to ask yourself why the Steelers fired an offensive coordinator who produced 4 of the top 8 offensive seasons in Steeler's history? Haley has a reputation of being "difficult" and early on he and Ben didn't like on another, or at least that is what we were being told. If "difficult" translates to being one to push back and hold his ground, which I believe to be the case here, then that could be the reason.

Insert Mike's buddy Randy and all of us, if we're being honest, knew that any offensive success came when Ben started to call his own plays. If the Steelers were struggling and Ben ran the two minute offense, it started to hum baby. Randy had to go as even Ben couldn't mask the turd any longer. Same with Canada.

If you bring in Mitch as a veteran and tell him to throw short and leave the middle of the field alone, you're a moron. If you run the same 10 plays every week, you're a moron. When you have opponents telling the media they know the Steeler's plays and you run them the following week, you're a moron. Insert Eddie and all of a sudden, the playbook is opened and so is the entire field to KP? Tomlin was on record with an attitude of "what do we have to lose" mentality so it's not out of the question to believe he took his hand cuffs off. It's also not out of the question to believe if Mike Tomlin mettled in the defensive calls and schemes, that he would also do the same in the offense.
Bidda Bing, bidda boom, well said Badcat. It's just so refreshing to read when fellow fans see the truth for what it is. This site gives you some of that and it's refreshing. Every word of the "truth" is enlightening. Shades is the #1 cause of our inept offense the last several years, whoever was the official OC is irrelevant.

Haley is known as an @ss and if you have seen him on some of the "behind the scenes" shows (i.e. "Hard Knocks") you can see why. He actually went on record admitting the reason he took the OC job in Cleveland was because he knew the head coach would likely be fired and he could slip in and take the HC job. Well, the HC did get fired but so did Todd so that didn't work.

1. But the Steelers still were not conservative (or at least this conservative) even after Haley left.
  2. You are simply speculating that Tomlin is the one dictating the offensive philosophy (i.e. Red Herring). At the end of the day, we simply have not had productive QB play ever since Ben's elbow surgery 5yrs ago.

But lets say MT is responsible for dictating the offensive game plan, lets play a game:

You have two starting QB's and here are there numbers from the year before:
  • QB1 : 7 TDs, 9 Ints
  • QB2: 4TDs, 5 Ints

What are you doing in this scenario? Are you really comfortable having these guys toss the rock all over the field?

It seems like a conservative game plan is your only option with this sort of QB play.