• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gotta be Spillane or Robinson

not me. If theyre a draft pick they stay.
I agree with your assessment, but outside of the gaffe on coverage and tackle in the Seattle game he is been on point with his assignments. Honestly, they won't but they should be saying to Bush this is what we expect from you. You could keep 4 ILB and Bush I suppose, but since he has minimal role what is the point. but if you cut Robinson to keep Bush and you lose on waivers which I suspect you would. You are the village idiot.

If Bush were a late round pick we wouldn’t even be having this discussion since there would be zero doubt of him being cut. The only thing saving him is his top 10 draft position, that’s it.
He trails too many plays, is afraid to stick his head in and make a tackle, does not anticipate very well, and just seems too timid.
I would not expect anything from him this year if they keep him. He never came in with any urgency this year. After-all, as he says, he’s a first round pick and a top 10 pick and doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone. He’ll still be in the NFL next year. That says it all for me.

Is it me or was he just so much better his rookie year? I know his injury set him back, but injury doesnt account for losing his football sense.
I think he's afraid of getting re-injured. When he blew out his knee I believe that really affected him mentally. Not sure how that can be corrected. Yes, his rookie year did show that he had the talent.

To me the why is pretty unimportant. But Steelhurt's assessment seems pretty accurate. What would be really interesting is to go back and look at film before the injury. Team success hides a lot of ****. And the defense was pretty damn good that year. He made plays no question. Forced fumbles, fumble recoveries interceptions, but what was his demeanor vs. the run and was he laying the boomstick. Cause I can tell you the hit by Robinson on that slot dig was bigger than anything I've seen out of Bush in a long while.

Bush looks like a dancing bear out there trying to get around his teammates and blockers. I agree with Apex. Hoping Flores can get in Tomlins head and make sure at least he isn't on the field. AkA Uncle Jarvis who ran the same Arc minus the first good year.
It honestly looks like Bush is backpedaling sometimes to try to shed blockers. He has no intention of engaging anyone.

It honestly looks like Bush is backpedaling sometimes to try to shed blockers. He has no intention of engaging anyone.
At minimum he is not moving too long and then moving laterally trying to go around blocks. But yes he is definitely giving ground to get a five or six yard off the LOS tackle on several plays. So agreed.

I thought Spillane had a good game against the Jags. He was especially improved against the pass, even covering some wide receivers competently underneath. He deserves to start alongside Jack to begin the season. Bush is useless.

They qHow many of you trust Shades to keep Robinson and demote or cut Bush? I don't. Case and point - punters.
See that is my worry too… they love the athletic ability of Bush and Buddy, and Buddy plays special teams… they put so much effort into converting Marcus Allen… I seriously worry that they will bring in a off roster Ilb and cut Robinson like they did Roche last year, trying to smuggle him onto the PS… this team is driven by the oline and the linebackers and we really don’t prioritize depth or development at either spot imo

I thought Spillane had a good game against the Jags. He was especially improved against the pass, even covering some wide receivers competently underneath. He deserves to start alongside Jack to begin the season. Bush is useless.
It might be prudent to bring Robinson along a little slower if Spillane is good enough. I agree. His pass defense was almost as good as his run last night and with good bigs in front of him he should be fine against run. Definitely his deficit in pass is better than Bush v. Run.

To me the why is pretty unimportant. But Steelhurt's assessment seems pretty accurate. What would be really interesting is to go back and look at film before the injury. Team success hides a lot of ****. And the defense was pretty damn good that year. He made plays no question. Forced fumbles, fumble recoveries interceptions, but what was his demeanor vs. the run and was he laying the boomstick. Cause I can tell you the hit by Robinson on that slot dig was bigger than anything I've seen out of Bush in a long while.
I agree. Except I would say that I can't remember EVER seeing Bush lay a hit like that on someone.

I'm a JV coach and we play 43. My sum total coaching of 3-4 was as an associate DB coach on a U16 provincial team. I don't even really know assignments. So it would be great to have a film junkie and the all 22 cut. That said one thing is for sure. Him and the other ILB have the same role in run just different gaps. He is not hitting the gap as his partner. Even if the bigs do their jobs and his partner is down hill to his gap, his lateness creates the crease for the cutback. Film won't lie.

I agree. Except I would say that I can't remember EVER seeing Bush lay a hit like that on someone.
I seem to remember (vaguely) a few big hits and big plays in Bush's rookie season. But those days are long, long gone. He is marshmallow soft.

It might be prudent to bring Robinson along a little slower if Spillane is good enough. I agree. His pass defense was almost as good as his run last night and with good bigs in front of him he should be fine against run. Definitely his deficit in pass is better than Bush v. Run.
For whatever reason, Spillane's coverage skills seemed much different last night. Even on that one first down completion, he was all over the wide receiver, the Jags just executed a better offensive play. If he can continue to play at that level, I think along with Jack they might be better than OK at ILB. But there is little depth; Robinson's development is going to take some time.

For whatever reason, Spillane's coverage skills seemed much different last night. Even on that one first down completion, he was all over the wide receiver, the Jags just executed a better offensive play. If he can continue to play at that level, I think along with Jack they might be better than OK at ILB. But there is little depth; Robinson's development is going to take some time.
Quite right. you can be exactly where you are supposed to be and the other guy gets paid too. I recall that play. He was much better last night. Against Seattle he looked slow in the flat.

I thought Bush was going to amount to something before he got hurt. I haven’t seen any of the preseason, but sounds like he hasn’t made much progress.

I thought Bush was going to amount to something before he got hurt. I haven’t seen any of the preseason, but sounds like he hasn’t made much progress.
Ah no. I don't mean to hate on him. But it was exactly what you saw last year. Utterly disappointing.

Ah no. I don't mean to hate on him. But it was exactly what you saw last year. Utterly disappointing.
That sucks. I looked at the Jacksonville stats and saw that he had four tackles. I was kinda hopeful that maybe they were four amazing tackles.

I don’t pay nearly as much attention as I used to, but when I would try to focus on him last year it seemed like he was either just running around or purposely engaging with a blocker, at which point his work was done. It’s kinda sad.

I see a guy who doesn't want to play football. He may want to be paid to play football, and he may want to be in the NFL for other reasons, but I don't think he wants to play football.

This is is prove it year. He can play his way into, or out of, a big contract next year and so far, it looks like he is content to fill a backup role on some team willing to take a flyer on his pedigree.

That sucks. I looked at the Jacksonville stats and saw that he had four tackles. I was kinda hopeful that maybe they were four amazing tackles.

I don’t pay nearly as much attention as I used to, but when I would try to focus on him last year it seemed like he was either just running around or purposely engaging with a blocker, at which point his work was done. It’s kinda sad.
Yeah I'm sure he was involved in four or five tackles near the sticks on 7 or 8 yard gains. Robinson had two or three at the LOS boomsticks.

I see a guy who doesn't want to play football. He may want to be paid to play football, and he may want to be in the NFL for other reasons, but I don't think he wants to play football.

This is is prove it year. He can play his way into, or out of, a big contract next year and so far, it looks like he is content to fill a backup role on some team willing to take a flyer on his pedigree.
I saw that last year. I'd have cut him last year for half *** effort and being a liability.