• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

Fields was pressing early. He had at least 3 dropped balls, including a couple that would've changed drives significantly.

One part of me wants to see what Russ can do. A little more offensive production and get the defense healthy, this team can have a season better than we've seen in recent years. However, he also isn't a part of the future and I wouldn't mind seeing Tomlin actually allowing the offense to try to score more than 3 points in the first to see if Fields has any sort of future.

Fields had arguably 5 dropped passes. That would have changed the dynamics a lot, including his final yards on the day.

I might be the outlier here, but I think Fields is starting this week. I think under the duress of OL / RB / play calls, he did ok and not enough negative to merit replacement. Remember, he is well liked in the locker room and that too, has to be a consideration.

DK Sports Monday morning Daily Shot has a VERY good segment on just this subject, well worth the listen.

Salute the nation

I think Fields play in the Cowboys game doesn’t quite cut it, there were things going against him for sure, but I think you want a QB that lifts a team up and helps overcome things if you’re going to call him the locked in starter and give him a big contract in the offseason, Fields hasn’t been bad but he isn’t on that level yet.

However the offensive line is Swiss cheese and I fear if Wilson plays the play calling will get even more conservative to protect him, so I think we roll with Fields again.

We haven’t seen Fields running as much the last 2 games, I wonder if teams are scheming to eliminate that or it’s being taken out of the game plan. He is our best running threat IMO

With the injuries to the defense/edge rushers as well as being limited on running back availability, Tomlin needs to step back and let Smith open up the playbook and they need to put up points. To me, for now, that points to Russell-and give him autonomy to check the offense into a pass or a run based on his read of the defense. Don’t handcuff a Super Bowl winning quarterback into playing mother may I.

With the injuries to the defense/edge rushers as well as being limited on running back availability, Tomlin needs to step back and let Smith open up the playbook and they need to put up points. To me, for now, that points to Russell-and give him autonomy to check the offense into a pass or a run based on his read of the defense. Don’t handcuff a Super Bowl winning quarterback into playing mother may I.
Sorry, but that isn't the guy we have now. So if and when Wilson does start......expect more of the same of what we are doing on offense.

Sorry, but that isn't the guy we have now. So if and when Wilson does start......expect more of the same of what we are doing on offense.
Regardless of what it is we need to see more accuracy at the position. Disappointed as it looked like it was as trending in a positive direction.

Yet once again we all will have to lower our expectations.

Year in and year out the same crap. I can’t pretend it isn’t tiring.

Regardless of what it is we need to see more accuracy at the position. Disappointed as it looked like it was as trending in a positive direction.

Man, do I ever hear what you’re saying. It takes the luster out of a win, because you still know it isn’t going anywhere.

The thing about Chuck & Bill is you could always carry a little faith and hope, But Mike T. Has been sucking that’s out of us for so long, many have very little left.

I’m obviously hoping for the positive and celebrating the little things along the way.

Salute the nation

This past week Fields I believe was 15 of 27 with like 5 or 6 drops. Is accuracy really the issue?

This past week Fields I believe was 15 of 27 with like 5 or 6 drops. Is accuracy really the issue?

I mean he had several bad overthrows, but accuracy hasnt been an issue... he just doesnt read guys coming open quickly yet... its why him learning the O for a year was a way better plan than him starting early...

Again, it isnt an indication that he wont be a long term solution, but he absolutely isnt ready just yet... he showed a ton late in the game sunday, but its like with year 3 drew brees... the inconsistency and focus issues are still too prevalent. He needs a better grasp of the offense... Benching him if he still cant distribute the ball evenly is going to happen.. if not this week then next if he doesnt show improvement there

Yep some of the issue. Some of that some of not reading the field well, some of not releasing it quick enough. A mixed bag. I am not going to count out receivers in the equation, obviously they factor in. But he has enough concerns there to wonder if he is or will be game to game good enough.

We need to see what Russ can do immediately if he is healthy. He is a WAY better passer than Fields on his worse day and will find the open guy.

I mean he had several bad overthrows, but accuracy hasnt been an issue... he just doesnt read guys coming open quickly yet... its why him learning the O for a year was a way better plan than him starting early...

Again, it isnt an indication that he wont be a long term solution, but he absolutely isnt ready just yet... he showed a ton late in the game sunday, but its like with year 3 drew brees... the inconsistency and focus issues are still too prevalent. He needs a better grasp of the offense... Benching him if he still cant distribute the ball evenly is going to happen.. if not this week then next if he doesnt show improvement there
If the Steelers have any inclination that Fields might be the long-term solution at the quarterback position, why would they bench him now? Yes, he's still got many flaws, but the raw material is there to work with. Benching Fields at this point will just undermine his psyche. Russ is a one-year cheap-a$$ rental...nobody can look at this team and honestly think he can come in and somehow lead them to a championship this season. Ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: GMC
I will give fields a pass for last week...I think it was his first sub par game. The WRs didn't help much, but Fields as but quite as accurate as he had been. It also didn't help having Pickens on the bench. When Allen came in the offense was on point that drive then it went back to garbage. I would love to hear what goes on and some of the decisions they make and why

I will give fields a pass for last week...I think it was his first sub par game. The WRs didn't help much, but Fields as but quite as accurate as he had been. It also didn't help having Pickens on the bench. When Allen came in the offense was on point that drive then it went back to garbage. I would love to hear what goes on and some of the decisions they make and why
I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't the "almost comeback" occur after Allen sat back down? He did great on the one throw he made. But, Fields was only out one or two plays (I think one).

I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't the "almost comeback" occur after Allen sat back down? He did great on the one throw he made. But, Fields was only out one or two plays (I think one).
Right that's what I mean Allen came in threw a good pass, Fields came in and immediately threw a few good passes on that drive. the offense looked like it knew what it was doing. Then after that drive it went back to being a cluster