• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

I think your going to see Russell Wilson start next week vs Raiders. Steelers usually play like **** on the road vs Raiders......so don't get too excited!

No.
I think your going to see Russell Wilson start next week vs Raiders. Steelers usually play like **** on the road vs Raiders......so don't get too excited!
That was before they moved to Las Vegas. Hopefully we win there for a second time. Just hope we have an OLB to play.

I think this was fields worst game. He forced some balls and had some accuracy issues. As for who starts next week I see arguments both ways. I would be fine with either guy starting.

With our RB situation put em both out there…unless Warren or CP magically get healthy.

Wilson under center when he’s healthy and our most explosive runner (Fields) in the backfield.

At least show the package a few times to make future opponents think about defending it.

It’ll never happen, but it would be interesting.

I'd still keep Fields in through the bye week at least. He hasn't played poorly. He's still working with a pack of misfits including Tomlin holding everyone back.

Intangibles. I see why there is hope for Fields because he has flashes of great play however he lacks the consistency an NFL franchise QB needs. People are enamored with arm strength and the ability to zip the ball into a tight spot but sometimes it needs more loft and air under the pass to get it just over a defender or make it more catchable for the receiver. The OL was giving him time he just gets antsy. The initial rush of people coming toward him makes him look too early to get out of there when he could take one step forward and make a throw. I'm not buying there is no one open. Maybe they aren't sandlot open with a 3 yard gap but there are way too many throws to be made that Fields is just not seeing. All of these things here and there throughout each game add up to inconsistent play and hinder the ability to have long term consistency in the NFL.

Arguably, the QB isn't going to matter much. The players change while the head coach (and the results) remain the same. To be clear, Tomlin is not going anywhere so I see no reason to call for his firing. But unless the sheer talent on the team is enough to overcome the coaching issues and do so consistently (both of which are really just not likely in the modern NFL), results will remain the same. This team has a lot more talent than several other playoff units but we are destined to winning non-playoff seasons or playoff seasons where we are one and SOOOO done.

Talent has to be allowed to shine through. Playing safe statistical football limits the use of talent.

Talent has to be allowed to shine through. Playing safe statistical football limits the use of talent.
It also has to be tempered a bit to teach smart play. Otherwise, you get the Chicago Fields. I have no issues with keeping him on a leash and slowly lengthen it, but I also think sitting would be good for him and learning from the sideline.

I think this was fields worst game. He forced some balls and had some accuracy issues. As for who starts next week I see arguments both ways. I would be fine with either guy starting.
Fields was pressing early. He had at least 3 dropped balls, including a couple that would've changed drives significantly.

One part of me wants to see what Russ can do. A little more offensive production and get the defense healthy, this team can have a season better than we've seen in recent years. However, he also isn't a part of the future and I wouldn't mind seeing Tomlin actually allowing the offense to try to score more than 3 points in the first to see if Fields has any sort of future.

Next Gen also says Harris did not face an eight-man box on any of his 16 carries against the Titans. For the season, Harris (17%) and Warren (14.29%) have similar rates of “stacked boxes” for their runs.

2. Jaylen’s jumps

Warren has as many carries of 10 or more yards this season (nine) as Harris — despite Harris having 100 carries to Warren’s 56.

In more subjective evaluation by Pro Football Focus, Warren ranks 30th among the 63 NFL running backs with the most carries this season; Harris is 48th. Among that group with 32 carries or more, Warren grades as the 21st-best runner, Harris the 52nd. Warren has a slight edge in yards after contact per carry (2.93 to 2.91) but a significant one in “missed tackles forced” per carry (.32 to .20).

Warren also has a significant edge in the grade for receiving (he rates 13th among NFL backs, Harris 43rd) with a much better rate of receiving yards per route run — Warren’s 1.82 is fourth-best in the league, whereas Harris is at 0.86.
Yeah, but Warren fumbles and gets hurt, Najee doesn’t.

It also has to be tempered a bit to teach smart play. Otherwise, you get the Chicago Fields. I have no issues with keeping him on a leash and slowly lengthen it, but I also think sitting would be good for him and learning from the sideline.
Do you think Tomlin will flip his entire game philosophy to let Wilson.....shine? Or will we continue to play games where the qb is limited and we depend on a defense that Tomlin thinks is elite?

Tomlin talking about that Fields fumble told me right away that he's going with Wilson. He couldn't just do it without a reason and now he has a reason to roll with RW. I'm excited to see a QB that can read the field. It's been since Ben !

Fields still can be the future here. Lets not minimize the fact the last time he had the ball he scored giving us the lead..

He has some stuff to still work on... so does almost every 25 year old qb..

I cannot stress how much Chicago messed that dude up... its a near miracle he was as improved as he is after just one offseason readjusting him...

But also... Fields might have lost focus for the second game in a row at the starts, but he didnt make the Oline suck, tge RBs be sporadically effective, or the wrs to drop passes all night.. including Pickens

He definitely didnt make the D fracture as bad as it did

The injuries piled up too high... a lot of the depth is ok, but inexperienced .... all the injuries at ol, olb, Rb.. its just a lot of redundant blows to those positions ..

I think the early starts showed bits and pieces of what can be a legit top end starting QB... i just think too many people got too high on his play right off the bat... he was still limited and had flashes of his problems...

The guy really needs to just thoroughly get a system down pat before he is out there... a new OC every year isnt good.., when he knows who is breaking where he can do those timing throws... when he isnt sure he misses wide open guys..

This is all normal for a young qb.. and i stress he is only 25.... chicago just really ****** him

Last year at this point, the Steelers were 3-2 with Kenny, so I'd say no, and this was under Canada.
And if Russ doesn't come in and light it up, what improvement have they really made?

"I cannot stress how much Chicago messed that dude up... its a near miracle he was as improved as he is after just one offseason readjusting him..."

Not to start an argument, but what makes you believe the current Steelers staff is any better at developing a QB?

Fields still can be the future here. Lets not minimize the fact the last time he had the ball he scored giving us the lead..

He has some stuff to still work on... so does almost every 25 year old qb..

I cannot stress how much Chicago messed that dude up... its a near miracle he was as improved as he is after just one offseason readjusting him...

But also... Fields might have lost focus for the second game in a row at the starts, but he didnt make the Oline suck, tge RBs be sporadically effective, or the wrs to drop passes all night.. including Pickens

He definitely didnt make the D fracture as bad as it did

The injuries piled up too high... a lot of the depth is ok, but inexperienced .... all the injuries at ol, olb, Rb.. its just a lot of redundant blows to those positions ..

I think the early starts showed bits and pieces of what can be a legit top end starting QB... i just think too many people got too high on his play right off the bat... he was still limited and had flashes of his problems...

The guy really needs to just thoroughly get a system down pat before he is out there... a new OC every year isnt good.., when he knows who is breaking where he can do those timing throws... when he isnt sure he misses wide open guys..

This is all normal for a young qb.. and i stress he is only 25.... chicago just really ****** him
Good post. I really wish the OL was fully healthy and they had 2 legit receivers for this offense. Everything you posted are the reasons I want the Steelers to stick with him as the starter.

Do you think Tomlin will flip his entire game philosophy to let Wilson.....shine? Or will we continue to play games where the qb is limited and we depend on a defense that Tomlin thinks is elite?
I’m guessing the first question was rhetorical

Why would the greatest HC ever flip an awesome game plan that he’s revolutionizing the league with? Can’t argue with 17 straight Tomlinships.

He can keep a game close like nobody’s business and can keep a record close to .500 too, pure genius at work we’re getting the pleasure of watching unfold…over and over and over

He needs to be tethered to Superman’s ankle to get him very far off the ground floor, hoping someday he learns about elevators

Last edited:
"I cannot stress how much Chicago messed that dude up... its a near miracle he was as improved as he is after just one offseason readjusting him..."

Not to start an argument, but what makes you believe the current Steelers staff is any better at developing a QB?
AS made Tannehill look pretty good

AS also didn’t have turtle ball Mike standing in the way of his progress in TEN

I continue to see one common denominator with the extreme conservative play style

We have seen it a lot. It happens every year. It's Tomlins low T offense. (lowT ).

Arthur Smith has been better than decent, eventhough probably shackled