• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hell yeah we should raise minimum wage, wait I have to pay that much?

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
https://www.ijreview.com/2015/05/31...um-wage-law-asks-important-question-possible/

I was appalled! My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.

We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . . But I think any law that doesn’t look at whether people can pay may not be the best way to go.

‘I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you.’
Hibbs is a self-identified progressive, but he’s looking for answers. Then he asked a profound question:

Why can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?.

Why can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?.

You can if you're avoiding the law and taxes and paying under-the-table.
"Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of it's stated intent." -- Quinn's First Law

The math does not add up. He says that there is only one counter person. If the store is open 365 days a year (which is unlikely), open 10 hours per day.
The first year $5 dollar increase over minimum (which he probably wasn't paying) is $18,250 per year and at $15 per hour is $28,287. Not sure
where he gets the 80K increase. A comic book store isn't very labor intensive.

https://www.ijreview.com/2015/05/31...um-wage-law-asks-important-question-possible/

I was appalled! My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.

We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . . But I think any law that doesn’t look at whether people can pay may not be the best way to go.

‘I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you.’
Hibbs is a self-identified progressive, but he’s looking for answers. Then he asked a profound question:

Good article. Typical Leftist world. "Hey, we need to live in Utopia. We can progressively change the world for the better. Let's create it."
Let's raise the minimum wage! -- Ouch, it's going to cost ME what???
Let's save the delta smelt in California! -- Ouch, we have no water left for humans in California??
Let's protect the spotted owl and prevent all these oil pipelines! -- Ouch, we import 11.0 MMbd of crude oil (primarily from our enemies) per year, at a cost of what??
Let's provide healthcare for everyone! -- Ouch, MY taxes and premiums went up by what?? And MY treatment has gotten this awful??

There is absolutely nothing sweeter than watching these ignoramus plans come back and slap these Liberals on the ***.

And yet they'll still blame Bush.

The math does not add up. He says that there is only one counter person. If the store is open 365 days a year (which is unlikely), open 10 hours per day.
The first year $5 dollar increase over minimum (which he probably wasn't paying) is $18,250 per year and at $15 per hour is $28,287. Not sure
I said that elsewhere, either here or Facebook, I forget. If wages go up $5 an hour the first year, the employer's share of FICA, workers comp insurance (which for me is hideously expensive), state unemployment insurance, and Federal unemployment insurance all go up too because they are a percentage of payroll but even all that doesn't add up to $80K a year.
I still think all the businesses should just raise their prices accordingly and make people pay for what they voted for. Now they'll buy a lot less stuff, pizza and comic books etc., and businesses will need a lot less employees, but there you go.

Last edited:

The math never adds up for Liberals. Until they get the bill. Actually, they still can't figure it out then. They just lash out.

The math never adds up for Liberals. Until they get the bill. Actually, they still can't figure it out then. They just lash out.

It's fine with the libs that it doesn't work out. It's not their money and they want yours and mine.

I didn't get to that, but my initial thought was "How did it catch this guy off-guard?" It's not that complicated.

Canada isn't very liberal and Ontario's minimum wage is $11.25. Plus they get free healthcare. I'm not for a $15 minimum
wage, but $9 or $10 is doable. Not sure why conservatives resist this idea, because if people can't support themselves, then
you get bigger government, because they need government assistance. A full-time worker on minimum wage makes $15,080
per year. A couple making minimum wage makes $30,160. $27.853 after social security taxes. If they have a couple
kids, an insurance policy will cost them about 14K per year and an apartment of $700 per month $8,400 per year.
After healthcare and shelter they would have $5,453 for food and other essentials. We've replaced the American Dream with
the American Nightmare.

Canada isn't very liberal and Ontario's minimum wage is $11.25. Plus they get free healthcare. I'm not for a $15 minimum
wage, but $9 or $10 is doable. Not sure why conservatives resist this idea, because if people can't support themselves, then
you get bigger government, because they need government assistance. A full-time worker on minimum wage makes $15,080
per year. A couple making minimum wage makes $30,160. $27.853 after social security taxes. If they have a couple
kids, an insurance policy will cost them about 14K per year and an apartment of $700 per month $8,400 per year.
After healthcare and shelter they would have $5,453 for food and other essentials. We've replaced the American Dream with
the American Nightmare.

Probably because you could make the minimum wage $50, and people who make that minimum wage will still be dirt poor.

It's fine with the libs that it doesn't work out. It's not their money and they want yours and mine.
Typically they pass laws that they don't pay for but it's fun to watch when they realize they do have to pay for it.

you get bigger government, because they need government assistance.

A full-time worker on minimum wage makes $15,080 per year.That's the breaks for entering the workforce with ZERO marketable skills. Put in the effort and work your *** off and move up the ladder. No one starts at the middle.. A couple making minimum wage makes $30,160. $27.853 after social security taxes. Benefit here is that 2 can live ALMOST as cheaply as one.

If they have a couple kids, This is their first huge mistake. If YOU can not afford kids, YOU should not have them. I paid to raise mine, I don't feel I should be made to pay for someone else's. an insurance policy will cost them about 14K per year and an apartment of $700 per month $8,400 per year.
After healthcare and shelter they would have $5,453 for food and other essentials.Welcome to the real world, you are not OWED anything. Maybe you need to take in a roommate to help with the housing expenses. We've replaced the American Dream with the American Nightmare. The nightmare only exists for those unwilling to do what it takes in life to succeed

Probably because you could make the minimum wage $50, and people who make that minimum wage will still be dirt poor.

Only because greedy owners will not live in the poorhouse so their lazy employees can live the good life.

and prices would go up, everyone else's wages would HAVE to go up and, the final result is that you are in the same position you are now, poverty wise.

and prices would go up, everyone else's wages would HAVE to go up and, the final result is that you are in the same position you are now, poverty wise.

Which is why I maintain that liberals either don't understand economics or they just don't care and are trying to buy votes. Anyone that's ever taken a simple economics class should understand this.

the American Nightmare.

Only about 2.6 percent of workers make minimum wage or less. About half of those are ages 16-24. 64% of them work part-time. Many of them also earn tips. Only 23% of minimum wage workers live in households below the poverty line...65% live in households that are at more than 150% of the poverty line. The vast majority of minimum wage earners are not full time year round workers trying to support families. The minimum wage is just that...a wage meant for low-skilled, entry level and part-time workers. Generally that is who earns it. Generally people who have been working full time and year round for any length of time are not earning minimum wage.

67% of people who are below the poverty line do not work at all in a given year. Another 25% do not work full time or year round. Only 9% of the poor in a given year are people who work full time, year round.

It is a myth that the minimum wage creates poverty, or that raising it will eliminate poverty. The main cause of poverty is not working, or not working enough.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/08/who-makes-minimum-wage/
http://www.heritage.org/research/re...um-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents

Since so few (2.6% of workers) are on minimum wage, raising the rate a couple dollars would have close
to zero impact on the economy and employers.

Since so few (2.6% of workers) are on minimum wage, raising the rate a couple dollars would have close

So, what do you do, now with the people who were at the new Min Wage and have been with you several years? Tell em to **** off? or....

everyone else's wages would HAVE to go up and, the final result is that you are in the same position you are now, poverty wise

Totally wrong. If wages go up for the most unskilled, inexperienced workers, more skilled workers' wages have to go up too. You can't pay the guy who's been working for you for two years the same amount as the completely inexperienced high school kid you hire to help out for a few hours over the summer.

The minimum is just that...the minimum. It's not a living wage, it's not intended to be.

It makes a huge impact because it pushes EVERY workers wage up. It pushes SSI up. It pushes everything up from the bottom up. People that are making $9 get pushed to $15 an hour by law. It effects more than just the minimum wage people. Anybody that think it has zero impact knows nothing about the economy... which is what I said earlier.

A full-time worker on minimum wage makes $15,080 per year.That's the breaks for entering the workforce with ZERO marketable skills. Put in the effort and work your *** off and move up the ladder. No one starts at the middle.
Racist.

If they have a couple kids, This is their first huge mistake. If YOU can not afford kids, YOU should not have them. I paid to raise mine, I don't feel I should be made to pay for someone else's. an insurance policy will cost them about 14K per year and an apartment of $700 per month $8,400 per year.
After healthcare and shelter they would have $5,453 for food and other essentials.Welcome to the real world, you are not OWED anything. Maybe you need to take in a roommate to help with the housing expenses. We've replaced the American Dream with the American Nightmare. The nightmare only exists for those unwilling to do what it takes in life to succeed
Double racist!!!

Which is why I maintain that liberals either don't understand economics or they just don't care and are trying to buy votes. Anyone that's ever taken a simple economics class should understand this.
It's a little of both IMO.

It is a myth that the minimum wage creates poverty, or that raising it will eliminate poverty. The main cause of poverty is not working, or not working enough.
That too but I'll be the first to say that as we see in places like Baltimore, Detroit, etc. there are not enough jobs even if most people did want to work.* Even back when times were good those places had high unemployment while other parts of the country were hurting for workers. I saw this first hand in my own company. Welfare and unemployment subsidize people to remain in places where their labor is not needed instead of moving to where it is needed.

*Due mostly to decades of Democrat leadership chasing jobs away but that's another discussion.

Last edited:
the American Nightmare.

Dumbass. Canada is very Liberal. Wages are provincial, and the most liberal government, ever in Canada, is in Ontario now. You could google the Premier of Ontario (Governor) who is proud to publicly call herself a lesbian. They have a huge public sector sponsored Green energy plan that essentially triples the cost of energy for business and personal consumers over the next few years. Ontario used to have a huge surplus in energy that was sold to Americans, but is now becoming unable to support itself....Liberals have undone, in about a decade, what Canada's strongest province had in spades under 40 years of conservative government.

You should look it up.

The more I think about this, the more I believe the politicians realize this. If you raise the Min Wage 35%, all the other wages will need to go up by at least an equal amount. We are right back to where you were before except, wait for it ...................................................................................................................... The Government collects an extra 35% revenue ................................ and didn't have to raise taxes. All while the low information voters BELIEVE they are better of than before.

The more I think about this, the more I believe the politicians realize this. If you raise the Min Wage 35%, all the other wages will need to go up by at least an equal amount. We are right back to where you were before except, wait for it ...................................................................................................................... The Government collects an extra 35% revenue ................................ and didn't have to raise taxes. All while the low information voters BELIEVE they are better of than before.

That's true for people who are hourly waged based employees that make anywhere near minimum wage, but I don't think you'd see a salaried professional making $75k suddenly get a $25k raise.

I've seen market rate adjustments for employees in my field that never trickled up to me.

The other thing liberals don't seem to understand is that businesses have something called a profit margin. They keep all of their costs, including labor costs, at such a level in order to make a profit. They don't have a money tree in the back room where they can grab the extra labor costs. That money has to come from somewhere, usually it comes from slowing growth and expansion and/or hiring fewer people. None of which is good for workers or income in the long run.