• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hottest Spring On Record Globally 2014

Ad hominem argument = Fail.

It's a logical fallacy. The published article with supporting data is linked.

RESPOND TO THE DATA, *******.

Your inability to do so is laughable. Contrary data published in peer-reviewed journal?

Pffft, it's the Koch brothers, I don't need to look at the actual data.

Do you fail to see how stupid you are? Jesus Christ, I have already taught you this lesson. If your idiotic response were appropriate, then every person reading your stupid comments and linked information could simply say, "Pfffft. Makes a living off AGW. I don't need to look at the data."

Or are you actually too stupid to understand the point?

I see you let Christy's semen dry and you had to chip it off with a pick axe. lol....

Let me tell you what's laughable, that you went away and now you come back angry demanding answers.

No I didn't forget WHAT I ASKED YOU a couple of weeks ago;

Do you agree with John Christy's testimony in court that global warming is happening and is man made?

You cited him as an example, as a respected source, while at the same time saying AGW does not exist... now DO YOU AGREE WITH HIM?

Post #89 page 5

This is what this moron keeps referring to. His stupidity and gullibility is mind blowing, I have repeatedly told him Watts is a hack yet he still thinks the man is a legit source.He just loves being abused, obviously some kind of clown sadist.

Pola is too stupid to read the article he referenced:

“Goddard” is wrong is his assertions of fabrication, but the fact is that NCDC isn’t paying attention to small details, and the entire process from B91’s to CONUS creates an inflated warming signal. We published a preliminary paper two years ago on this which you can read here: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/29/press-release-2/

About half the warming in the USA is due to adjustments. We’ received a lot of criticism for that paper, and we’ve spent two years reworking it and dealing with those criticisms. Our results are unchanged and will be published soon.

Half the warming is due to adjustments. HALF.

Do you have any the slightest understanding of the importance of that fact? “Global warming” is not a threat to the environment, or crop growth, or human activity or health, unless two factors are proved: (1) the warming is due to man-made CO2 emissions and (2) the amount of temperature increase due to man-made CO2 emissions is significant enough to be of concern.

Ad hominem argument = Fail.

It's a logical fallacy. The published article with supporting data is linked.

RESPOND TO THE DATA, *******.

Your inability to do so is laughable. Contrary data published in peer-reviewed journal?

Pffft, it's the Koch brothers, I don't need to look at the actual data.

Do you fail to see how stupid you are? Jesus Christ, I have already taught you this lesson. If your idiotic response were appropriate, then every person reading your stupid comments and linked information could simply say, "Pfffft. Makes a living off AGW. I don't need to look at the data."

Or are you actually too stupid to understand the point?

Where is Watts paper peer reviewed? Where is it cited?

It was a gimmick to get more traffic to his site, that paper is a joke. Even McIntyre who contributed a few hours of statistics work on it didn't want his name on it.

If you want a response to the data here it is, and this also brings up the point I made with the other poster if you want to see data twisted and manipulated just go to Watt's site. It's a ******* joke.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/watts_new_paper_critique.html

Constructive Criticisms

It's worth noting that Peter Thorne of NCDC was interviewed by Andrew Revkin, and discussed three papers which NCDC has recently published (see here, here, here). In the first of those linked papers, they actually concluded that there likely remains a residual cool bias in the adjusted data, and that the adjusted data are consistent with reanalysis data (detailed in the third linked paper). Watts et al. do not address these papers. Ironically Watts responded to that interview by saying that Thorne needs to get out into the real world, but it is Watts et al. who have not accounted for real world effects like TOB, station movement, instrument changes, etc.

In its current form, the Watts paper contains little in the way of useful analysis. There are too many potential sources of bias which are not accounted for, too many apples-to-oranges comparisons, and they cannot draw any conclusions about urban heat influences until their data are homogenized and other non-climate influences are removed.

The primary conclusion of the paper, aside from not being supported by the analysis, is simply implausible. The CONUS surface warming trend proposed by the Watts paper appears to be inconsistent with the satellite observations, and overall global trends in raw data do not differ dramatically from those in the adjusted data. Comparing raw to adjusted data globally shows a rather small difference in long-term trends; far smaller than a factor of two.

The flaws we have identified entirely compromise the conclusions of the paper. Ultimately Watts et al. assume that all adjustments are 'spurious' unless due to urban heat influences, when in fact most of their identified discrepancy likely boils down to important adjustments for instrumental changes, TOB, and other influences they have not accounted for in their analysis. Watts et al. attempt to justify their assumption by asserting "well sited stations are adjusted upward to match the already-adjusted poor stations," but this is simply not how the homogenization process is done.

Fortunately McIntyre has acknowledged that TOB must be considered in their analysis, as has Watts, which is a good start, but they must also account for the other biases noted above in order to draw any valid conclusions about urban heat influences.

In conclusion, Watts et al. of course deserve the right to try to make their case in the peer-reviewed literature, however implausible that case appears to be. Therefore, we hope they will consider addressing the important concerns detailed above before they submit the paper to a journal. Otherwise we suspect the paper will not fare well in the peer review process. With said caveats carefully addressed and the conclusions amended if and where necessary, the paper has the potential to be a useful contribution to the climate science literature.

Here are the rest of the sadists stick your thumb out and catch a 'ride'..after you remove said thumb from Christy's anus of course.

So of course I am hung up on the power plant side...
A.) we have to go through 8 times the drivel from both sides than what you have put up here... and frankly what you still fail to understand is most of the real unbiased studies are far more neutral than any of this stuff you find on the pro or anti warming psyco sites...
B.) the impending rules and regs that are coming out are soley focused on one sector of the power industry... they are speaking of cap and trade. they intend to give allowances. this is a clear cut shot against coal. Natural gas has 60% of the carbon emissions. the allowances they will likely get will make any real cost to them negliable. They will hand the same allowances to coal plants thus making them inoperable for profit without carbon capture, which currently doesn't work. Coal makes up 38% of the countries power currently... it recently used to be closer to 60. Im fine with moving on from coal, HOWEVER, you cannot have a one sided energy plan for a country... 80% natural gas is a catastrophe waiting to happen, lets not even mention fracking... Solar and wind are negliable contributers and will be until large scale battery storage is found. Hydro is already maxed and Nuclear is ignored for foolish reasons.

So here is the important part... if the people amking these rules really believed global warming was a real issue... they wouldn't be soley focused on one thing... there are dozens of other sources overall more problematic. If coal is the biggest problem, then why is there no movement to ban exports of coal overseas where there are virtually no chances of any regulations ever?

I know you have this idealist attitude and there is no chance you will ever be wrong in your own eyes, but I can safely say that I have been part of R&D studies not tied to plants, that were run by academics and various engineers and I think you have a very skewered perspective of actual data quality and how bad many of these guys will slant things to prove their own points. Not all of them... some do go in with an open mind... but Ive had to rerun tests dozens of times because the results were not what the client expected.

Again exceptional claims demand exceptional proof. Tell me you found bigfoot, great, show me the body and I will believe you. Tell me the world is ending because of expotential CO2 growth, and you had best show me facts that matched the predictions.. not revised biased data. Dont give me the extremist babble... I don't want Heartland, I don't want Mann, I don't want the 80 hand picked already pro warming scientist who validated an obvious reach of a graph with 160 page report telling me why only the isotopes in this lake of this region can tell us the real picture, and the tree rings here are accurate, but there... nah... and coral here and this ice-core there... Give me something I can test for. a rock solid prediction that meets the expectation within a reasonable error percentage. There are doubts in the data right now. The policies are clearly meant to affect one certain industry. Its extremely suspicious especially in light of other recent attempts to overregulate that industry. Other countries privy to the same information as we have and whom have far less to lose regulating CO2 are having vehement pushback on this matter...

I don't think I've seen you post here before.

Got bored of ******* your sister huh? I mean if we're going to stereotype....

If I ****** my sister we'd produce you; a mongoloid incapable of breathing on it's own, wiping it's own ***, keeping it's head from tilting to the left and forming logical thoughts and deducing information into an educated and well formed point. Why don't you prove MY point by pasting more cartoons, videos, or posts from other brain washed academia rah-tards based on a false science used to scare people into buying thier way out of guilt in a lame assed attempt of making others feel bad about themselves so that you yourself feel big and important and oh-so-smart?

So of course I am hung up on the power plant side...
A.) we have to go through 8 times the drivel from both sides than what you have put up here... and frankly what you still fail to understand is most of the real unbiased studies are far more neutral than any of this stuff you find on the pro or anti warming psyco sites...
B.) the impending rules and regs that are coming out are soley focused on one sector of the power industry... they are speaking of cap and trade. they intend to give allowances. this is a clear cut shot against coal. Natural gas has 60% of the carbon emissions. the allowances they will likely get will make any real cost to them negliable. They will hand the same allowances to coal plants thus making them inoperable for profit without carbon capture, which currently doesn't work. Coal makes up 38% of the countries power currently... it recently used to be closer to 60. Im fine with moving on from coal, HOWEVER, you cannot have a one sided energy plan for a country... 80% natural gas is a catastrophe waiting to happen, lets not even mention fracking... Solar and wind are negliable contributers and will be until large scale battery storage is found. Hydro is already maxed and Nuclear is ignored for foolish reasons.

So here is the important part... if the people amking these rules really believed global warming was a real issue... they wouldn't be soley focused on one thing... there are dozens of other sources overall more problematic. If coal is the biggest problem, then why is there no movement to ban exports of coal overseas where there are virtually no chances of any regulations ever?

I know you have this idealist attitude and there is no chance you will ever be wrong in your own eyes, but I can safely say that I have been part of R&D studies not tied to plants, that were run by academics and various engineers and I think you have a very skewered perspective of actual data quality and how bad many of these guys will slant things to prove their own points. Not all of them... some do go in with an open mind... but Ive had to rerun tests dozens of times because the results were not what the client expected.

Again exceptional claims demand exceptional proof. Tell me you found bigfoot, great, show me the body and I will believe you. Tell me the world is ending because of expotential CO2 growth, and you had best show me facts that matched the predictions.. not revised biased data. Dont give me the extremist babble... I don't want Heartland, I don't want Mann, I don't want the 80 hand picked already pro warming scientist who validated an obvious reach of a graph with 160 page report telling me why only the isotopes in this lake of this region can tell us the real picture, and the tree rings here are accurate, but there... nah... and coral here and this ice-core there... Give me something I can test for. a rock solid prediction that meets the expectation within a reasonable error percentage. There are doubts in the data right now. The policies are clearly meant to affect one certain industry. Its extremely suspicious especially in light of other recent attempts to overregulate that industry. Other countries privy to the same information as we have and whom have far less to lose regulating CO2 are having vehement pushback on this matter...

I didn't mean to insult you with the "hung up" comment I just meant you were focusing on that sector, and rightly so.
The thing is that even with our switch from coal to gas the jury is still out on if it's actually even helping the CO2 problem. Some claim gas is worse than coal because of leakage, as far as other pollutants go it has to be far better.

The reason the energy sector is targeted(again not the biggest emitter) is because there are options for us to pursue. We will still have electricity it will just be generated using other sources/technology. If we really wanted to do something we would go after meat production, but that is never going to happen,never. And there are no options.

That would require government control of production, rationing, Americans becoming healthy instead of the fat slobs that most are now, like I said never going to happen until nature mandates it.

If you want proof of AGW you need to go no further than the stratosphere. The troposphere is warming(lower atmosphere) and the stratosphere(upper) is cooling, this is observed and verified.

That means the greenhouse gas layer we are thickening is allowing less heat to escape to space. At the same time the argument that it's the sun is ruled out because if it was, the stratosphere would warm evenly also.

This is empirical proof, and is one of many lines of proof.

If I ****** my sister we'd produce you; a mongoloid incapable of breathing on it's own, wiping it's own ***, keeping it's head from tilting to the left and forming logical thoughts and deducing information into an educated and well formed point. Why don't you prove MY point by pasting more cartoons, videos, or posts from other brain washed academia rah-tards based on a false science used to scare people into buying thier way out of guilt in a lame assed attempt of making others feel bad about themselves so that you yourself feel big and important and oh-so-smart?

Speaks for your DNA, thanks for sharing what i could easily guess.

I didn't mean to insult you with the "hung up" comment I just meant you were focusing on that sector, and rightly so.
The thing is that even with our switch from coal to gas the jury is still out on if it's actually even helping the CO2 problem. Some claim gas is worse than coal because of leakage, as far as other pollutants go it has to be far better.

The reason the energy sector is targeted(again not the biggest emitter) is because there are options for us to pursue. We will still have electricity it will just be generated using other sources/technology. If we really wanted to do something we would go after meat production, but that is never going to happen,never. And there are no options.

That would require government control of production, rationing, Americans becoming healthy instead of the fat slobs that most are now, like I said never going to happen until nature mandates it.

If you want proof of AGW you need to go no further than the stratosphere. The troposphere is warming(lower atmosphere) and the stratosphere(upper) is cooling, this is observed and verified.

That means the greenhouse gas layer we are thickening is allowing less heat to escape to space. At the same time the argument that it's the sun is ruled out because if it was, the stratosphere would warm evenly also.

This is empirical proof, and is one of many lines of proof.

Over what climatic time period? Data points do not make trends as the modellers have discovered.

I see you let Christy's semen dry and you had to chip it off with a pick axe. lol....

Let me tell you what's laughable, that you went away and now you come back angry demanding answers.

No I didn't forget WHAT I ASKED YOU a couple of weeks ago;

Do you agree with John Christy's testimony in court that global warming is happening and is man made?

You cited him as an example, as a respected source, while at the same time saying AGW does not exist... now DO YOU AGREE WITH HIM?

Response to data: Zero

Evidence of Polo's sickening, destructive psychopathy: Abundant.

So respond to the DATA.

Your personal comments about me evidence your profound lack of intellect and inability to answer the data. You are not very bright, and like a child overwhelmed with logical arguments against eating nothing but candy for dinner, you resort to shrieking and crying.

Therefore, your noxious comments simply confirm your astonishingly defective intellect. You have already provided a plethora of evidence as to cognition deficits and sickening psychopathy - you needn't provide further evidence.

So let's see your response - do you respond to the DATA or offer further noxious comments, evidencing your profoundly sickening character and metal deficiency?

Cell phone video shot by yours truly last year when a vintage steam locomotive went through town. Time was that EVERY train was like this. In China they still build brand-new steam locomotives because it is their lowest cost means of transport.
Me and my bud walked out of the donut shop and out onto the bridge. At the last second we were like, "That smoke is going a lot higher than we figured."

Response to data: Zero

Evidence of Polo's sickening, destructive psychopathy: Abundant.

So respond to the DATA.

Your personal comments about me evidence your profound lack of intellect and inability to answer the data. You are not very bright, and like a child overwhelmed with logical arguments against eating nothing but candy for dinner, you resort to shrieking and crying.

Therefore, your noxious comments simply confirm your astonishingly defective intellect. You have already provided a plethora of evidence as to cognition deficits and sickening psychopathy - you needn't provide further evidence.

So let's see your response - do you respond to the DATA or offer further noxious comments, evidencing your profoundly sickening character and metal deficiency?

Ah...you were the one that started with the 'swallowing' comments, just giving you some of your own medicine.

Now if you think I'm going to spend days analyzing and re-averaging data subsets to amuse you, you're insane.

People far more capable than I have already done the analysis, and Watts never submitting his paper for review speaks VOLUMES.

VOLUMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, do you agree with John Christy that climate change is happening now and is caused by man? I asked first.

Here is what is on that link I posted earlier. This debunks Watts completely, if I were capable of doing it what weight would it carry anyway?

The guy doing the debunking here:

Oh and this guy works at a company not for a university, so much for the grant money.

Dana Nuccitelli is an environmental scientist at a private environmental consulting firm in the Sacramento, California area. He has a Bachelor's Degree in astrophysics from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Master's Degree in physics from the University of California at Davis. He has been researching climate science, economics, and solutions as a hobby since 2006, and has contributed to Skeptical Science since September, 2010. He also blogs at The Guardian. Follow him on Twitter.

Watts' New Paper - Analysis and Critique
Posted on 2 August 2012 by dana1981, Kevin C

"An area and distance weighted analysis of the impacts of station exposure on the U.S. Historical Climatology Network temperatures and temperature trends"
Paper authors: A. Watts, E. Jones, S. McIntyre and E. R. Christy

In an unpublished paper, Watts et al. raise new questions about the adjustments applied to the U.S. Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) station data (which also form part of the GHCN global dataset). Ultimately the paper concludes "that reported 1979-2008 U.S. temperature trends are spuriously doubled." However, this conclusion is not supported by the analysis in the paper itself. Here we offer preliminary constructive criticism, noting some issues we have identified with the paper in its current form, which we suggest the authors address prior to submittal to a journal. As it currently stands, the issues we discuss below appear to entirely compromise the conclusions of the paper.
The Underlying Problem

In reaching the conclusion that the adjustments applied to the USHCN data spuriously double the actual trend, the authors rely on the difference between the NCDC homogenised data (adjusted to remove non-climate influences, discussed in detail below) and the raw data as calculated by Watts et al. The conclusion therefore relies on an assumption that the NCDC adjustments are not physically warranted. They do not demonstrate this in the paper. They also do not demonstrate that their own ‘raw’ trends are homogeneous.

Ultimately Watts et al. fail to account for changing time of observations, that instruments change, or that weather stations are sometimes relocated, causing them to wrongly conclude that uncorrected data are much better than data that takes all this into account.

Changing Time of Observations

The purpose of the paper is to determine whether artificial heat sources have biased the USHCN data. However, accounting for urban heat sources is not the only adjustment which must be made to the raw temperature data. Accounting for the time of observations (TOB), for example, is a major adjustment which must be made to the raw data (i.e. see Schaal et al. 1977 and Karl et al. 1986).

For example, if observations are taken and maximum-minimum thermometers reset in the early morning, near the time of minimum temperature, a particularly cold night may be double-counted, once for the preceding day and once for the current day. Conversely, with afternoon observations, particularly hot days will be counted twice for the same reason. Hence, maximum and minimum temperatures measured for a day ending in the afternoon tend to be warmer on average than those measured for a day ending in the early morning, with the size of the difference varying from place to place.

Unlike most countries, the United States does not have a standard observation time for most of its observing network. There has been a systematic tendency over time for American stations to shift from evening to morning observations, resulting in an artificial cooling of temperature data at the stations affected, as noted by Karl et al. 1986. In a lecture, Karl noted:

"There is practically no time of observation bias in urban-based stations which have taken their measurements punctually always at the same time, while in the rural stations the times of observation have changed. The change has usually happened from the afternoon to the morning. This causes a cooling bias in the data of the rural stations. Therefore one must correct for the time of observation bias before one tries to determine the effect of the urban heat island"

Note in Watts Figure 16, by far the largest adjustments (in the warming direction) are for rural stations, which is to be expected if TOB is introducing a cool bias at those stations, as Karl discusses.

WattsFig16a.jpg

nstruments Change, Stations Move

As Zeke Hausfather has also discussed, the biggest network-wide inhomogeneity in the US record is due to the systematic shift from manually-read liquid-in-glass thermometers placed in a louvred screen (referred to in the U.S. as a Cotton Region Shelter and elsewhere as a Stevenson screen) to automated probes (MMTS) in cylindrical plastic shelters across large parts of the network in the mid- to late-1980s. This widespread equipment change caused an artificial cooling in the record due to differences in the behaviour of the sensors and the sheltering of the instruments. This is discussed in a number of papers, for example Menne et al. 2009 and 2010, and like TOB does not appear to be accounted for by Watts et al.

Additionally, the Watts paper does not show how or whether the raw data were adjusted to account for issues such as sites closing or moving from one location to another. The movement of a site to a location with a slightly different mean climatology will also result in spurious changes to the data. The Watts paper provides no details as to how or whether this was accounted for, or how the raw data were anomalised.

homogenised.gif

Quite simply, the data are homogenised for a reason. Watts et al. are making the case that the raw data are a ‘ground truth’ against which the homogenisations should be judged. Not only is this unsupported in the literature, the results in this paper do nothing to demonstrate that. It is simply wrong to assume that all the trends in raw data are correct, or that differences between raw and adjusted data are solely due to urban heat influences. However, these wrong assumptions are the basis of the Watts conclusion regarding the 'spurious doubling' of the warming trend.
The Amplification Factor

The conclusion regarding the lower surface temperature warming trend is also at odds with the satellite temperature data. Over the continental USA (CONUS), satellites show a 0.24°C per decade warming trend over the timeframe in question. According to Klotzbach et al. (2010), which the Watts paper references, there should be an amplification factor of ~1.1 between surface and lower troposphere temperatures over land (greater atmospheric warming having to do with water vapor amplification). Thus if the satellite measurements were correct, we would expect to see a surface temperature trend of close to 0.22°C per decade for the CONUS; instead, the Watts paper claims the trend is much lower at 0.155°C per decade.

This suggests that either the satellites are biased high, which is rather implausible (i.e. see Mears et al. 2011 which suggests they are biased low), or the Watts results are biased low. The Watts paper tries to explain the discrepancy by claiming that the amplification factor over land ranges from 1.1 to 1.4 in various climate models, but does not provide a source to support this claim, which does not appear to be correct (this may be a reasonable range for global amplification factors, but not for land-only).

PART 1

Last edited:
Popping in here to watch Polo schooled over and over and over again is indeed rich and enjoyable.

Seeing Elfie continue to say things like "This is empirical proof, and is one of many lines of proof." without reference (save for from one of the 97 biased, paid scientists) is priceless.

Just waiting for DD to show up and show the link between IP addresses or for ElfieMalo to break out the African American accent again.

Watching stupidity repeatedly present itself over and over can be entertaining, so I suppose we should thank her.

PART 2

A discussion between Gavin Schmidt and Steve McIntyre on this subject led to the conclusion that the land-only amplification factor falls in the range of 0.78 to 1.23 (average over all global land areas), with a model mean close to 1 (using a script developed by McIntyre on 24 different models). Note that McIntyre is a co-author of Watts et al., but has only helped with the statistical analysis and did not comment on the whole paper before Watts made it public. We suggest that he share his land-only amplification factor discussion with his co-authors.

Another important consideration is that the amplification factor also varies by latitude. For example Vinnikov et al. (2005) found that at the CONUS latitude (approximately 40°, on average), models predict an amplification factor of approximately 1 (see their Figure 9). Note that this is the amplification factor over both land and ocean at this latitude. Since the amplification factor over land is less than that over the oceans, this suggests that the amplification factor over the CONUS land may even be less than 1.

Combining the latitude and land-only status of the CONUS, the amplification factor may very well be less than 1, but a range of values significantly lower than the 1.1 to 1.4 range used in the Watts paper would be reasonable.

Note also that as discussed above, the satellite data (like all data) are imperfect and are not a 'gold standard'. They are a useful tool for comparison in this study, but the satellite trends should not be assumed to be perfect measurements.
More Apples and Oranges

Watts et al. compare the best sited Class 1 and 2 stations (using their categorisation) to the total homogenised network. Strictly speaking, this is comparing apples and oranges; Watts' data are an inhomogeneous sub-sample of the network compared to a homogeneous total network. In practice, this methodological error doesn’t make much difference, since the homogenisation applied by NCDC produces uniform trends in all of the various classes.

However the use of a smaller network has disadvantages. When taking a gridded average of a sparse network, the impact of inhomogeneities is likely amplified and the overall uncertainty of variability and change in the timeseries increases.

The Class 1 & 2 sites used by Watts in this context represent just 20% of all the total CONUS network. The comparison of the raw Class 1 & 2 sites with the same network of homogenised data in Watts' own Figure 18 indicates likely inhomogeneities in that raw data. Watts et al. argue that the raw and adjusted Class 1 & 2 trends in Figures 18a and 18b are so different because "well sited stations are adjusted upward to match the already-adjusted poor stations," but this is simply not how the homogenization process is done. In reality the difference is likely due to the biases we have discussed above, indicating that the Watts raw data is inhomogeneous and influenced by these non-climate effects.

WattsFig18.jpg

Determining whether or not the Class 1 & 2 raw data is homogeneous is therefore a key requirement of a revised manuscript. And since the Class 1 & 2 sites have been selected for good exposure, Watts et al. would need to show the cause of any statistical discontinuities that they find. This work has already been done by NCDC in the Menne at al. papers, which show influences from the range of factors discussed above, and not just urban influence.

The Watts final conclusion that adjusted temperature trends are 'spuriously doubled' (0.155°C vs. 0.309°C per decade raw vs. adjusted data) relies on a simple assumption — that the raw data must be correct and the homogenised data incorrect. There is no a priori basis for this assumption and it is unsupported by the literature.

Last edited:
PART 3

Adjustments Make Little Difference Globally

While Watts et al. identify possible issues concerning the adjustments applied to station temperature records, it wisely makes no attempt to assess the global impact of the adjustments, which are beyond the scope of the work. Nonetheless, this is a significant question from a public interest perspective.

In order to answer this question, we willl try and estimate the maximum possible impact of station adjustments on the instrumental temperature record. To minimise the warming signal, we will use the simplest method for calculating a global temperature average - the CRU method, which is known to yield poor coverage at high latitudes and hence underestimate recent warming. Further, we'll assume that entirety of the data adjustments are wrong (ignoring proven bias corrections such as TOB). If we calculate land temperature averages from both the raw and adjusted data, we can see how much difference the adjustments make. The result is shown in the figure below (red and green lines).

temps.png

Just to be absolutely sure, we can do a further calculation using just rural unadjusted data (using the GHCN station classifications) - the blue line.

While the adjustments do make a difference, the difference is small compared to the overall warming signal since 1979. Using a more sophisticated temperature calculation reduces this difference. Furthermore, we are only looking at land temperatures - 30% of the planet. Including the remaining 70% of the planet (the oceans which, if not precisely rural, are certainly not urban!) dramatically reduces the remaining impact of the GHCN adjustments. Indeed, comparison of warming trends over the oceans and over large inland lakes (including the North American Great Lakes) shows a high degree of consistency with terrestrial trends. Warming over the oceans and lakes is presumably not due to urbanisation.

The entire CRU-type calculation requires 65 lines of python code (by comparison, a modern airliner requires upwards of a million lines of code to fly). The code is available below.
Show code

Many others have done this comparison, including Caerbannog and Zeke Hausfather. Fawcett et al (2012) provide a comprehensive assessment of the sensitivity of Australian temperature trends to network and homogenisation choices, including comparison with an unhomogenised gridded analysis of Australian temperatures. Furthermore, the BEST project has obtained a similar result with a different, independent implementation of the station homogenization algorithm. It would be surprising if an independent approach were to yield a similar but incorrect result by chance.

Do the overall adjustments make a difference? Yes. Are they justified? Yes, according to the body of scientific literature. Watts raises a scientific issue, but one which only affects part of the adjustment. Does it matter? Not very much. Even if the entirety of the adjustments were wrong, we still see unprecedented warming over the past 40 years. And there is certainly not a factor of two difference between global warming trends in the raw and adjusted data.
Constructive Criticisms

It's worth noting that Peter Thorne of NCDC was interviewed by Andrew Revkin, and discussed three papers which NCDC has recently published (see here, here, here). In the first of those linked papers, they actually concluded that there likely remains a residual cool bias in the adjusted data, and that the adjusted data are consistent with reanalysis data (detailed in the third linked paper). Watts et al. do not address these papers. Ironically Watts responded to that interview by saying that Thorne needs to get out into the real world, but it is Watts et al. who have not accounted for real world effects like TOB, station movement, instrument changes, etc.

In its current form, the Watts paper contains little in the way of useful analysis. There are too many potential sources of bias which are not accounted for, too many apples-to-oranges comparisons, and they cannot draw any conclusions about urban heat influences until their data are homogenized and other non-climate influences are removed.

The primary conclusion of the paper, aside from not being supported by the analysis, is simply implausible. The CONUS surface warming trend proposed by the Watts paper appears to be inconsistent with the satellite observations, and overall global trends in raw data do not differ dramatically from those in the adjusted data. Comparing raw to adjusted data globally shows a rather small difference in long-term trends; far smaller than a factor of two.

The flaws we have identified entirely compromise the conclusions of the paper. Ultimately Watts et al. assume that all adjustments are 'spurious' unless due to urban heat influences, when in fact most of their identified discrepancy likely boils down to important adjustments for instrumental changes, TOB, and other influences they have not accounted for in their analysis. Watts et al. attempt to justify their assumption by asserting "well sited stations are adjusted upward to match the already-adjusted poor stations," but this is simply not how the homogenization process is done.

Fortunately McIntyre has acknowledged that TOB must be considered in their analysis, as has Watts, which is a good start, but they must also account for the other biases noted above in order to draw any valid conclusions about urban heat influences.

In conclusion, Watts et al. of course deserve the right to try to make their case in the peer-reviewed literature, however implausible that case appears to be. Therefore, we hope they will consider addressing the important concerns detailed above before they submit the paper to a journal. Otherwise we suspect the paper will not fare well in the peer review process. With said caveats carefully addressed and the conclusions amended if and where necessary, the paper has the potential to be a useful contribution to the climate science literature.

DO YOU AGREE WITH CHRISTY THAT CLIMATE CHANGE IS MAN MADE? YOU CAN ANSWER DEEPTHROATTIME.

IT'S ALRIGHT TO BE WRONG ALL THE TIME, SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT.

Last edited:
Pola-elfie the cut n paste queen. LOL

Pola-elfie the cut n paste queen. LOL

Don't forget Scott, her sources are accurate...never paid for sources, biased sources, sources that eschew science to falsify data to push an agenda. Any source that disagrees with her is all of the above.

Despite being proven wrong and again...

ha ha - more inconvenient truths

ICEBERGS are spotted still floating in Lake Superior in the middle of June

Icebergs can still be seen floating in Lake Superior near Madeline Island, off the shore of Wisconsin

article-0-1EA29C1F00000578-795_964x535.jpg

The Great Lakes were declared ice free on June 7 following a record-breaking seven months of ice coverage. They usually thaw by May

article-0-1D5B3BA500000578-122_964x487.jpg

On April 20, 2014, NASA's Aqua satellite captured this natural-color image of Lake Superior, which straddles the United States/Canada border. At the time Aqua passed over, the lake was a record 63.5 percent ice covered

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...or-despite-Great-Lakes-declared-ice-free.html

-----------------------

Antarctic Sea Ice Growing Despite Global Warming Warnings

The sea ice coverage around Antarctica over the weekend marked a record high, with the ice surrounding the continent measuring at 2.07 million square kilometers, .

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

Last edited:
The past cold winter has been a real ***** to all the palms I planted a couple years ago. Pines and maples are rockstars this year, but what will I do without palm fronds next time Barry comes north?

The past cold winter has been a real ***** to all the palms I planted a couple years ago. Pines and maples are rockstars this year, but what will I do without palm fronds next time Barry comes north?

Forget it Con, he ain't comin' up to Canada anytime soon. How would he explain to our good neighbors to the north how ignorant and partisan he's been 'bout that pipeline business. Would be too embarrassing, he'll go to Pelocy's house instead.

Here's a couple more expose's from a letter to the FBP from a Congressman.

It turns out, the sampling that led to this preposterous 97 percent claim was a questionnaire of scientists predisposed to agree. Tautologies are commonplace in politics, but this kind of methodology has no place in academia. And those charged with regulating us should be disqualified when they resort to them.

Moreover, reported land-based, near-surface temperatures have not increased in the past 17 years. Not one of the more than 70 different climate models predicted such a pause.

Meanwhile, analyses and studies that disagree with the predetermined intergovernmental outcome, such as the recent study showing that Antarctic glacier melt is a result of volcanoes, are ignored by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and by your administration.

Mr. President, the word “hoax” does begin to define what you just tried to pass off on our university graduates.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/rohrabacher-presidential-snow-job-on-global-warmin/

Don't forget Scott, her sources are accurate...never paid for sources, biased sources, sources that eschew science to falsify data to push an agenda. Any source that disagrees with her is all of the above.

Despite being proven wrong and again...

That's because her paid-for scientists are better than your paid-for scientists.

Mr. President, the word “hoax” does begin to define what you just tried to pass off on our university graduates.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/rohrabacher-presidential-snow-job-on-global-warmin/[/I]

Racist.

Obama thinks Lake Superior should be renamed because American lakes are not exceptional.

Antarctic Sea Ice Growing Despite Global Warming Warnings

The sea ice coverage around Antarctica over the weekend marked a record high, with the ice surrounding the continent measuring at 2.07 million square kilometers, according to an environmentalist and author who says the ice there has actually been increasing since 1979 despite continued warnings of global warming.

While early models predicted the sea ice would decrease because of global warming, other models are showing that the opposite is happening around Antarctica, where sea ice growth is increasing.

"A freshening of the waters surrounding the southernmost continent as well as the strengthening of the winds circling it were both theorized as explanations for the steady growth of Antarctica’s sea ice during the period of satellite measurement," said Ambler.

However, he pointed out that climatologists have discounted the importance and growth of the Antarctic sea ice.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/an...utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

Cut and paste..cut and paste, such fun it is to cut and paste.