• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

House GOP nominates Ryan as speaker, with Trump's support

Spike

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Speaker Paul Ryan unanimously won his GOP colleagues' votes on Tuesday for another term at the helm of the House. He told fellow Republicans he had President-elect Donald Trump's support, and heralded "the dawn of a new, unified Republican government."

While victory was the GOP unifier, Democrats were verging on disarray. House Democrats abruptly announced Tuesday that they were delaying their own leadership elections set for Thursday until Nov. 30 to give lawmakers more time to process disastrous election results.

It's not clear whether the election delay might morph into a real challenge to Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. She has led House Democrats for more than 12 years and has consolidated support with strong fundraising and an ability to deliver votes, but there's long been grumbling from Democrats who say new leadership is needed at the top.

As for Ryan, the Wisconsin Republican still has to win a floor vote for speaker in January, when all members of the House will cast ballots, including Democrats.

But he secured the nomination at a closed-door GOP conference vote Tuesday afternoon with the strong backing of his fellow House Republicans, even though a few conservative dissenters pushed unsuccessfully to delay the balloting.

Those grumblings of dissent could hardly be heard over the buzz of enthusiasm as House Republicans convened for their first regular conference meeting since Trump won the presidential election. Even though a number of House Republicans, including Ryan, had opposed Trump or were critical along the way, most said they're now firmly on board and prepared to try to enact Trump's agenda on immigration, infrastructure, energy and jobs.

Republicans also backed California's Kevin McCarthy for majority leader and Steve Scalise of Louisiana for the No. 3 job of House whip.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-11-15-14-54-24

--------------------------

Ryan was bubbling over with support for Trump on CNN. I hope he knows his place, at the feet of President Trump.

Well, that was Trump's first mistake.

Well, that was Trump's first mistake.

Maybe not, he's a pragmatist, not an ideologue - Obama was right

If you thought Trump was a conservative, you were wrong. I pretty much explained it all in 400 pages of the Trump thread - better everybody go back and read it all

Ryan has been an Obama boot licker in my opinion. I'm disappointed but I understand the reasoning.

Maybe not, he's a pragmatist, not an ideologue - Obama was right

If you thought Trump was a conservative, you were wrong. I pretty much explained it all in 400 pages of the Trump thread - better everybody go back and read it all

It's not that, but we voted to end business as usual in D.C. and Ryan is business as usual.

RINO Ryan is definitely business as usual and a great example of our in effect one party rule.

Our only hope is for Trump to lay some smackdown and tell Ryan and other RINO's that he'll support their opponents in the primaries.

It's not that, but we voted to end business as usual in D.C. and Ryan is business as usual.

WE voted to kick the Dems out and control the Supreme Court

It's a sign of the consolidation of power. Too much of this bullshit infighting - let the Dems do that.

Speaker Paul Ryan defends Steve Bannon as crucial to Trump's victory

House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Welcome to the dawn of a new, unified Republican government."

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) defended Steve Bannon as a top advisor in Donald Trump's White House, praising the political strategist

"This is a person who helped him win an incredible victory," Ryan said Tuesday. "We’re confident about moving forward. We’re confident about the transition."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...efends-steve-bannon-1479226402-htmlstory.html

WE voted to kick the Dems out and control the Supreme Court

It's a sign of the consolidation of power. Too much of this bullshit infighting - let the Dems do that.

Speaker Paul Ryan defends Steve Bannon as crucial to Trump's victory

House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Welcome to the dawn of a new, unified Republican government."

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) defended Steve Bannon as a top advisor in Donald Trump's White House, praising the political strategist

"This is a person who helped him win an incredible victory," Ryan said Tuesday. "We’re confident about moving forward. We’re confident about the transition."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...efends-steve-bannon-1479226402-htmlstory.html

He ******* better do that. Trump is less likely to cave to the Dems than anybody else but he has to get across to Congress to do the right thing(s) and don't let the Dems' wailing and screaming bother you. Trump should be right in front of Congress at the State of the Union message and say "Elections have consequences. You can ride along but you have to ride in the back." Someone once said.

Don't be stupid - if you thought Trump was going to continue the election fight you have no clue what he's about.

The Art of the Deal is to win.

Now he can appoint the Supreme Court nominee of his choice - that should be top of the list. that will show everyone what this election was about.

The SC nomination is huuuggggeee as they say. No matter what else he accomplishes America is on a better track. Dems here in Iowa wanted to crucify Grassley for not having hearings on Merrick. Obstructionist blah blah blah. I thought he was a hero.

The SC nomination is huuuggggeee as they say. No matter what else he accomplishes America is on a better track. Dems here in Iowa wanted to crucify Grassley for not having hearings on Merrick. Obstructionist blah blah blah. I thought he was a hero.

Frankly I thought they should have had hearings on Merrick, then voted him down. GOP in D.C. has no balls, maybe Trump will give them some.

Frankly I thought they should have had hearings on Merrick, then voted him down. GOP in D.C. has no balls, maybe Trump will give them some.

Well yeah. I thought that first. Then I realized the idiots probably would've confirmed him. No way Jose.

Well yeah. I thought that first. Then I realized the idiots probably would've confirmed him. No way Jose.

No, you're right. If they had hearings they would have confirmed him because they're afraid of being called racists.

It's pretty bad when you're rooting for the health of Bader Ginsburg to just hold on for the election.