• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I got to ask: What has changed?

Deuce is tired of no playoff wins.
The Bruce was not an outside hire, he was the WR under Cowher. When Cowher “retired” his OC Whisenhunt went to the Cards to be HC.
Shades’ best coordinators were the three he didn’t hire, Arians, LeBeau, and Haley. Everyone else he promoted from within and they were all people he knew or worked with before. That tells me he doesn’t like new people or new ideas.
I didn't realize that about Bruce.

everyone knows this.
DK Sports the other day was talking about "Slash" and he said something to the effect of "For those of you who may not know..." and described his role of doing all things football early in his career with the Steelers. You and I are so old Bleeder that we take these things for granted. Most of the younger fans were born after Korky's stint with the Steelers. Let that marinate in your prune Jello. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't realize that about Bruce.
Arians was the WR coach under Cowher and was promoted to OC when Whiz left. He was already here and Ben liked him. I doubt that Shades had much to do with that. Except for that and a couple lower level people, Shades had Cowher’s coaching staff pretty much intact for his first four years.

Russ Wilson wanted to play for Pittsburgh without a multi-year contract. That's what changed.

The consequences were Pickett turning to a whining ***** that didnt want to compete, trading him to the eagles closed that door for the bears shopping Fields and creating a vacuum of trading partners that lowered Fields cost so we could trade for him, with the help from Fields who sees Pittsburgh as an opportunity to relaunch his career after Wilson's 1 year contract.
Occam's Razor. I think you're scenario is the most likely. While everyone wants to attribute these changes to anyone but Tomlin, and mind you I am the farthest thing from a Tomlin defender. It may be as simple as the situations that arose forced Tomlin into these radical moves. Art has stated that Mike has complete control over coaching hires and major input into player acquisition so, it is probably a combination of Tomlin hiring Smith, realizing the status quo does not work, and he and Kahn working together to bring in Wilson and the others.

Last edited:
DK Sports the other day was talking about "Slash" and he said something to the effect of "For those of you who may not know..." and described his role of doing all things football early in his career with the Steelers. You and I are so old Bleeder that we take these things for granted. Most of the younger fans were born after Korky's stint with the Steelers. Let that marinate in your prune Jello. :ROFLMAO:
I understand . But the yum-yum who said he didn't know, absolutely should have. He's a self proclaimed knowledge expert at all things draft, and also an expert at 20/20 hindsight, and head size.