• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I got to ask: What has changed?

So is this a one year thing?
Speculatively speaking here....if Wilson or Fields ball out this season do we extend them? I would think so. If we simply finish say like we have over the past 10 seasons do we extend one? If Wilson starts all season and we have a so so season do we pick up Fields option? I see that as an option speculatively speaking.

I believe if I remember correctly that we have to make that decision this May.

The change is Andy Weidl everyone else was from inside the organization, Mr. Weidl got young Mr. Khan to see the light outside the organization and blow up the simmering issues inside the team and rework things in their vision of the Steelers. The king is dead, long live the king? We shall see, enjoy the ride.

Salute the nation! :flag:

Kahn is bringing in players with experience. Tomlin is tasked with making it work.

all valid points regarding ownership and the FO

and do not discount the negativity flowing on social media. i'd think that the Steelers see/hear the fans complaints and concerns just as well as other teams. Addressing those and making bold moves shows we're not going to be complacent and not going to be some middle of the pack team for lack of trying.

remember all the chants to "Fire Canada" that went on in Pittsburgh - and not just at Steelers games? those have to carry a weight with management and ownership.

i mean, this IS an entertainment industry. give the people what they want.
Thread done. Supe beat me to it...

I believe if I remember correctly that we have to make that decision this May.
So speculatively speaking of course......that is very doubtful...or so I would think.

I think it's a combination of what was being done really wasn't working and Tomlin's seat getting a lot warmer not winning a PO game in 7 years. AR2 words do have some weight that he wants to win again, so a different approach and creativity has taken place. Some of these moves are unSteeler-like and we haven't seen an off-season, like this one, like ever! I think many here bring up good points and reasons and the truth is somewhere here and there. Time to make moves and win another SB. At least TRY! I like the approach. it's been exciting, for sure.

I dont really see as much change as people perceive, I think all of these movesxare mostly what we have done in the past.

we have sold low on wrs who were damaged and disgruntled players for a while now... we just normally didnt have multiple cases in a year.
Examples of disgruntled or damaged wrs traded low on include Santonio, AB, Claypool, Bryant, and Coates.
Examples of traded "hostages" include melvin Ingram, a couple of those wr and we released a bunch more in season like Harrison and that safety from green bay...

Trading low for draft picks from other teams they loved or getting them as cheap free agents is another long term thing they have done...

Look at WJ3, Gilbert, or signings like Alualu

I think Queen is the biggest deviation, but its not like they dont have precedent for this kind of move and they contract he signed was like 5 million per year less than his perceived market value... its not like they went overboard

The fact is the Steelers have made lots of moves like these in the recent past, just rarely so close together
No, it's pretty different. The old Steelers didn't operate this way too often.

Patrick Queen was a legit huge UFA splash signing. They wouldn't have shipped out a first-rounder, let alone QB, after two years. They didn't just sign one QB, but brought in a young former first rounder who a lot of analysts and players seem to believe in. They're rumored to be shopping for a big-time receiver. I guess I just don't see how Colbert operated in this manner even with the support you offered.

I do think it comes down to Rooney is legitimately tired of not winning playoff games and he has a new school GM willing to make shrewd moves to get the moving in the right direction. I also think it's odd that Tomlin hasn't signed an extension yet. The last time he was in this situation he signed his 3-year deal in January, soon after the season ended.

They can buy all the(mercenaries)people they want because it won't matter without proper scheming on Offense/Defense week in and out.
Kind of reminds me of Dan Synder in the early 2000s when he brought in an older Deion Sanders to the Redskins and over paid him like 50+million and got a bunch of other star players, yet didn't make the playoffs. What was lacking was the coaching.

Kind of reminds me of Dan Synder in the early 2000s when he brought in an older Deion Sanders to the Redskins and over paid him like 50+million and got a bunch of other star players, yet didn't make the playoffs. What was lacking was the coaching.

Bingo! That's honestly my top concern.

Bingo! That's honestly my top concern.
Not mine at all. I'm not seeing that 40 million dollar contract on a free agent. Look at how many players Khan has brought into the facility and they walked out of it with no deal. The Jets just signed Mike Evans to a ridiculous contract and the Jets will continue to be the Jets. The Browns just over paid Juedy IMO considering they over paid Watson. I'm not seeing a gross negligence of spending, I'm seeing a thrifty spender thus far and great market value for the players he is signing.

Not mine at all. I'm not seeing that 40 million dollar contract on a free agent. Look at how many players Khan has brought into the facility and they walked out of it with no deal. The Jets just signed Mike Evans to a ridiculous contract and the Jets will continue to be the Jets. The Browns just over paid Juedy IMO considering they over paid Watson. I'm not seeing a gross negligence of spending, I'm seeing a thrifty spender thus far and great market value for the players he is signing.

Oh they're great with numbers.They always have been. Even more so with the new GM.It will look great on paper..They have done everything possible to set things up for success.
The draft is the only thing left on the table.

Now it will fall upon the HC,OC and DC to make it work. Which was my point.
The truth is, we don't have any idea whatsoever how it will go. I can only go by history and paper doesn't make champions.

Oh they're great with numbers.They always have been. Even more so with the new GM.It will look great on paper..They have done everything possible to set things up for success.
The draft is the only thing left on the table.

Now it will fall upon the HC,OC and DC to make it work. Which was my point.
The truth is, we don't have any idea whatsoever how it will go. I can only go by history and paper doesn't make champions.

Keep in mind that this isn’t Kahn’s first rodeo as a numbers cruncher.

Prior to this GM gig, he was the Craptologist expert on the salary cap, and for many years (with the Steelers). He knows how to make a contract work, both salary & team wise.

Salute the nation

Was rhe board down for everyone yesterday or just me?

Last edited:
Russ Wilson wanted to play for Pittsburgh without a multi-year contract. That's what changed.

The consequences were Pickett turning to a whining ***** that didnt want to compete, trading him to the eagles closed that door for the bears shopping Fields and creating a vacuum of trading partners that lowered Fields cost so we could trade for him, with the help from Fields who sees Pittsburgh as an opportunity to relaunch his career after Wilson's 1 year contract.
You're ignoring a huge component of this situation: The Steelers of yesteryear would not even be entertaining these moves. Why has this team all-of-a-sudden became open to moves like these? You mean one hissy fit by one entitled player has completely reversed the Steelers decade-old strategies when it come to free agency? That's your total explanation? I don't see it; something else has transpired here. The Queen signing alone is so un-Steeler like.

Both Ray and Dulac have said recently that Danny Rooney has been getting more involved in the front office...maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe not winning a playoff game in 8 years has something to do with it? Maybe Omar Kahn has something to do with it? Bottom line is that I don't care what the reasoning is, but it is nice to see them stepping up and making changes when things are not working.

You're ignoring a huge component of this situation: The Steelers of yesteryear would not even be entertaining these moves. Why has this team all-of-a-sudden became open to moves like these? You mean one hissy fit by one entitled player has completely reversed the Steelers decade-old strategies when it come to free agency? That's your total explanation? I don't see it; something else has transpired here. The Queen signing alone is so un-Steeler like.
That's not the only reason but was the trigger that helped it. Obviously Kahn isn't resting in his laurels as he hasn't won anything as a GM and wants to fix the existing issues , but I'm a 100% sure that if Wilson didn't come for free there was no way to afford him. His signing was what caused KP to run away, leaving a burning hole at the QB room, which was masterfully filled with the cheap Fields trade. Better natural talent than KP but more complicated contract situation next year

Last edited:
Deuce is tired of no playoff wins.
The Bruce was not an outside hire, he was the WR under Cowher. When Cowher “retired” his OC Whisenhunt went to the Cards to be HC.
Shades’ best coordinators were the three he didn’t hire, Arians, LeBeau, and Haley. Everyone else he promoted from within and they were all people he knew or worked with before. That tells me he doesn’t like new people or new ideas.