• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I think I should explain WHY I'm a Civil Libertarian

• Thread starter Thread starter Steel Not A Player
  • Start date Start date
We've had this discussion plenty in the past - the two-party system is just broken.

This is why a Libertarian won't be elected President in our lifetimes. None of us will ever see a 3rd party candidate take the White House. They just siphon votes from one of the 2 major parties.

Nobody just votes blindly down the Republican party line. That's just nonsense.

Do you think this was the point of the rebuttals? For people to indicate that Rebulicans don't also vote straight ticket?

Someone needs a comprehension check.

Ron pointed out:

I worked a poll in 2008. About 20% of the people got turned away because they were at the wrong precinct. All they knew was that they wanted to vote for the black guy for President and "Oh look, there's a place to vote". This tells me that they were disengaged from the process because where you vote affects voting for your town councilman, state rep, state senator, U.S. Rep, etc. Guaranteed that none of them knows who their councilman is or who is on the school board or even the name of the mayor. Far too many people only turn out to vote once every four years for the President and don't know what the **** is going on the rest of the time.

He worked a poll. He was a witness. He stated something he saw, for an entire day. He didn't say anything about one party or the other, or that one party only does this...that I can tell.

This is why a Libertarian won't be elected President in our lifetimes. None of us will ever see a 3rd party candidate take the White House. They just siphon votes from one of the 2 major parties.

So you're saying I should just give up, and vote for your guy even though we all know that he's no different than the other guy when it comes right down to it? That we'll not be any less ******, just ****** in a different way? That's just dumb.

So you're saying I should just give up, and vote for your guy even though we all know that he's no different than the other guy when it comes right down to it? That we'll not be any less ******, just ****** in a different way? That's just dumb.

You tell me what is dumb. Casting your vote for the guy garnering 3% of the overall vote, a person who has 0% chance of winning and advancing the platform you approve of? Or casting your vote for the lesser of two evils - Democrat or Republican?

As OneFor expressed (more eloquently than I), vote with a strategy. If that strategy is to vote for the lesser of two evils, it's still far more intelligent than throwing your vote out the window.

If you want to vote for a 3rd party candidate because of "integrity", by all means sleep well. Fact remains, you're throwing your vote away however. That's dumb.

PS...you start off with "So you're saying..." Actually, I wasn't saying anything other than was was written, without innuendo. I was describing a factual situation. Third party candidates have no chance of being elected today. There was no hidden meaning, but thanks for trying to create one.

Last edited:
You tell me what is dumb. Casting your vote for the guy garnering 3% of the overall vote, a person who has 0% chance of winning and advancing the platform you approve of? Or casting your vote for the lesser of two evils - Democrat or Republican?

As OneFor expressed (more eloquently than I), vote with a strategy. If that strategy is to vote for the lesser of two evils, it's still far more intelligent than throwing your vote out the window.

If you want to vote for a 3rd party candidate because of "integrity", by all means sleep well. Fact remains, you're throwing your vote away however. That's dumb.

PS...you start off with "So you're saying..." Actually, I wasn't saying anything other than was was written, without innuendo. I was describing a factual situation. Third party candidates have no chance of being elected today. There was no hidden meaning, but thanks for trying to create one.

Or just don't vote at all.

If I really believed there was "no difference" between Republicans and Democrats, I might do what you are doing. That's simply not true.

I actually think our best hope as conservatives is to work within the Republican party to modernize and reform it. And I will continue to believe that at least until we have a third party candidate who can generate even a modicum of popular interest (let's say, more than 25% of the electorate has even heard of him) and isn't a total kook in one way or another.

In a perfect world that might actually work. Since we do not live in that world, you might as well forget it. The Republican party has ABANDONED that idea, for the "Let's just be Dem-lite".

As I have said MANY times before, I will vote Libertarian UNLESS there is a candidate put forth by the Republicans I can vote for. I WILL NOT vote for a McCain, Romney, Bush, Christie, etc. If they trot out another one of those types, well, they have decided to FORFEIT the next election. The Republicans will never win again without admitting they need the base they have thrown away, and good luck convincing those same people you are willing to work with them now.

In a perfect world that might actually work. Since we do not live in that world, you might as well forget it. The Republican party has ABANDONED that idea, for the "Let's just be Dem-lite".

As I have said MANY times before, I will vote Libertarian UNLESS there is a candidate put forth by the Republicans I can vote for. I WILL NOT vote for a McCain, Romney, Bush, Christie, etc. If they trot out another one of those types, well, they have decided to FORFEIT the next election. The Republicans will never win again without admitting they need the base they have thrown away, and good luck convincing those same people you are willing to work with them now.
I agree about those candidates and don't think we win if we run any of them anyway. This process should be self-correcting but the GOP doesn't ever seem to learn.

I WILL NOT vote for a McCain, Romney, Bush, Christie,

None would be my first choice, but I would gladly have any one of them over what we have now.

None would be my first choice, but I would gladly have any one of them over what we have now.

I still can't believe you still think there is a difference. I still equate it to being *** raped with a dick 1/2" shorter.