• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If the Steelers trade up or down or stand pat they will draft in 1? Go on record in who you like..

Stay at 20 and pick Barton.

Second guess is stay at 20 and mild surprise pick Brian Thomas.

IMO, if the RTs Mims or Latham are there, one will be a Steeler. If Brian Thomas is there, he's the selection.
I'm hoping its Barton, to give us flexibility for the remainder of the draft, though.

wildest hope is Thomas at 20 and we get Goncalves and Nourzad later.

If there is a special player at a position of need I have no problem with a trade up. But this year they have multiple needs and assuming they are not going qb they are going to get the 16th best player. No need to move up. Plenty of options.
True but the vast majority of them fail miserably at returning equal or superior value to what is dealt to get them. .... if you can find a cheap move up like we dod last year, its fine... and like you said, if a player is extremely uniquely talented... there is value in targeting them ... but like outside of a qb... you probably never should trade 2 first rounders to move up and take a position player...

Trade up if Fuaga or Fautanu make it to 16 or 17 and beat the Bengals to the punch.

Stay put, Latham, Thomas, Arnold, Mims

Fall back, if two of the above and Barton, Mitchell all on the board

Last edited:
I I am the only one who love a trade down in the first and possibly still get Cooper D. That fills holes in the secondary nicely as he can play everywhere. If we get him on a trade down we fill more holes. I even consider him at 20 as BPA if the top tackles are not there. I also don’t want to draft a guy who played predominantly left and have to have one of our tackles playing out of their comfort zone.

True but the vast majority of them fail miserably at returning equal or superior value to what is dealt to get them. .... if you can find a cheap move up like we dod last year, its fine... and like you said, if a player is extremely uniquely talented... there is value in targeting them ... but like outside of a qb... you probably never should trade 2 first rounders to move up and take a position player...
This is fact. There is no non qb worth an extra first round in my opinion.

I I am the only one who love a trade down in the first and possibly still get Cooper D. That fills holes in the secondary nicely as he can play everywhere. If we get him on a trade down we fill more holes. I even consider him at 20 as BPA if the top tackles are not there. I also don’t want to draft a guy who played predominantly left and have to have one of our tackles playing out of their comfort zone.
DeJean is definitely in the conversation if the draft falls poorly for the Steelers regarding OL. I forgot to mention him in my fall back senerio. I think it's unfair with some recent criticism that he's a jack of all trades but master of none. I look at him as a great addition opposite JPJ. Maybe slot this season but eventually a starting corner. I'd be surprised if he made it out of the 20s.

I'm hoping its Barton, to give us flexibility for the remainder of the draft, though.
I understand the position flexibility aspect of picking Barton, but I want a player that is good enough at his current position to play there. Sure a number of great C’s didn’t play there in college, but I am tired of using premium picks on a player you plan to see if they can play a different position.

I understand the position flexibility aspect of picking Barton, but I want a player that is good enough at his current position to play there. Sure a number of great C’s didn’t play there in college, but I am tired of using premium picks on a player you plan to see if they can play a different position.
Consider that maybe he did so out of necessity? i doubt he was just moved around because he was 6th man on the OL. Though i do share that same sentiment that you have.

the more i think about it, Nourzad and Goncalves later and Brian Thomas in the 1st is ideal.

Again, Barton did play C, they moved him to LT because he was the best lineman on the team and could play it at a high level as well. There’s no seeing to be done, he can play C.

So I have been saying trenches for years. And I still am.
But if a stud corner is the pick I would be happy

Here’s my prediction, but I need some help with the pick in my DREAM SCENARIO

We let the draft come to us as 6 QB’s get picked before the Steelers pick…The 4 top QBs go in the top ten and the Raiders get Penix Jr @ #13 & the Rams snap up Nix @#19

So many, many ways to draft under this scenario. YOUR Steelers are on the clock

With our pick we now take ________….
An undersized, but extremely quick middle linebacker from William and Mary.

Consider that maybe he did so out of necessity? i doubt he was just moved around because he was 6th man on the OL. Though i do share that same sentiment that you have.

the more i think about it, Nourzad and Goncalves later and Brian Thomas in the 1st is ideal.
They've shown barely any interest in Brian Thomas Jr, the only meeting they had with him was a 15 min combine meeting, Tomlin and Kahn were not at his pro day, nor did they have him in for a visit. I do not believe he is considered by us in the first. They've shown more interest in the two Texas WRs and Ladd McConkey than Brian Thomas Jr

Stay at 20, I think they take Mimms. I would not, however, be shocked or upset if they took Barton.

Trade up - yes please, but not in the first. I would be just fine if they moved up in the second to get the OT or OC they did not get in the first.

Trade Down - depends on how far and how the board looks, but I would be fine getting an extra pick by dropping down about 4 picks and then using that extra pick to move up in the second as I mentioned above.

WR becomes priority after that.

Trade up: Rome Odunze. There are plenty of good OL prospects staying put. Odunze should be an absolute stud at WR.

Stay put: Amarius Mims. He simply has the most dots connected to the team and I think they value OT more than C.

Trade down: AD Mitchell. If they're trading down that far, they're passing on the OL they should just grab at 20 and probably missing out on the top 2-3 CBs. WR is a huge need as well.
I'll talk about this before sharing my thoughts on the OP...

AD Mitchell is a double red flag. The kid has diabetes and needs a baby sitter to help him stay on track with his meds. He has AB-like talent but I also see an AB-like future. That's sad BTW.

Ok, standing pat = Barton. Why? I think all the blue chip OTs are gone by 1.20.

Trade up = anyone of the blue chip OTs.

Trade down = I don't like this option but I'd target Frazier depending on how far we trade down.

While I think Fuaga, Latham and Mims are "potential" future RTs, none of them are LTs and guaranteed studs. There are some serviceable RT prospects that can be had later.

Same thing with JPJ and Frazier, they "might" be able to start right away but neither are generational talents like Pouncey. AND I don't think Frazier will go til mid-round #3 with Nourzad. The draft will usually trend towards QBs, LTs, CBs and WRs first to go, then RTs, Cs and Gs along with LBs, Ss and TEs. This being said, where is the drop-off this year at the top?

This answers the question, IMO. IF one of the TOP 3 is available at QB, LT (capable), CB or WR, we stay put and take him, otherwise look for more picks. Under NO circumstances do I trade-up for anyone in this draft because the "top" is not elite in any position, IMO. They are good, and might develop into great, but no sure-fire hits at any spot.

We have options after round #1 to get any position without too much drop-off in talent. There is a drop...but not a drop from sure-fire starter from day one to will need development time. Contrary to some, we have more needs than C and T. In a new offense, there is no telling who is going to be the weak link. The Defense isn't without it's needs too, as we found out last year.

This..............if the draft grades are equal for the more important position as in Barton projects as good as Mims then position flexibility is the plus. If not take Mims and a center later.

DeJean is definitely in the conversation if the draft falls poorly for the Steelers regarding OL. I forgot to mention him in my fall back senerio. I think it's unfair with some recent criticism that he's a jack of all trades but master of none. I look at him as a great addition opposite JPJ. Maybe slot this season but eventually a starting corner. I'd be surprised if he made it out of the 20s.
Not exactly the same because I think Branch was the better player, but similar in terms of position in the NFL. DeJean can be an impact player as that is essentially a starter in the NFL now.

As I read many of the replies with interest…..it’s easy to say trade up in the second for Frazier or whomever. As many here seem to suggest. But what if it costs us our first from next year draft? Are you willing to do that?

As I read many of the replies with interest…..it’s easy to say trade up in the second for Frazier or whomever. As many here seem to suggest. But what if it costs us our first from next year draft? Are you willing to do that?
Nope

Stay at 20, I think they take Mimms. I would not, however, be shocked or upset if they took Barton.

Trade up - yes please, but not in the first. I would be just fine if they moved up in the second to get the OT or OC they did not get in the first.

Trade Down - depends on how far and how the board looks, but I would be fine getting an extra pick by dropping down about 4 picks and then using that extra pick to move up in the second as I mentioned above.

WR becomes priority after that.
This is the way