• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If the Steelers trade up or down or stand pat they will draft in 1? Go on record in who you like..

As I read many of the replies with interest…..it’s easy to say trade up in the second for Frazier or whomever. As many here seem to suggest. But what if it costs us our first from next year draft? Are you willing to do that?
Granted team needs change the nature of the draft, but Frazier doesn't seem to be quite at the level of some of last year's prospects. In a normal year, he seems like a back half of the second-round prospect, IMO. I think there's a good chance he's there at 57 given the depth of talent at other positions. However, since center is the only actual hole on the roster, I can see the Steelers going that direction in the first round.

If you trade up, it better be for an impact player.

Odunze and Bowers are the only 2 i can see reasonably going up to get. Meaning going up to the 10-12 area. I'd love Harrison but going up to the top 5 would be nuts. Better off trading for Aiyuk at that point.

Odunze is a stud. I love his toughness and he'd fit perfectly with Pickens.

Bowers. With Smith's system revolving around 2 TE sets, Bowers would be a starter. You have Pickens, Freiermuth and Bowers on the field and the #2 WR almost doesn't matter. You can get by with Van Jefferson, or Austin or almost anybody.

I think the move is to stay at 20 and take an OT. It will likely be the best player available and a position of need. If you have 2 pro bowl caliber OTs (which is what you'd expect from 1st rounders), then you can get by with mediocre interior players.

If Arthur Smith wants zone blocking then I'm not sure JPJ is a good fit. I can see drafting Barton in rd 1 if the OTs are gone because Barton has high upside and versatility.

Staying at 20 - Fashanu, Mims, Latham, Fuaga, Barton. If they are all gone, i'd try to trade back. If unable to trade then DeJean, Newton, Byron Murphy, McKistry, Wiggins,

Trade back to the late 1st or early second only if the OTs are all gone, or if more are available than expected so you can trade back and still get one. I'd still want to be able to get an OT, but if they're gone then trade back and add picks.

Jerzahn Newton DT Illinois
Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson
Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
Adonai Mitchell WR Tex
Ladd McConkey WR Georgia
Ricky Pearsal WR Florida
Xavier Legette WR S Car
Zach Frazier C West Virginia

As I read many of the replies with interest…..it’s easy to say trade up in the second for Frazier or whomever. As many here seem to suggest. But what if it costs us our first from next year draft? Are you willing to do that?
no. not for a first next year. It should not take a first next year to move up a few slots in the second...and when i say trade up in second I don[t mean back into the first.

FUAGA??!

FUAG YOU!!

Stand pat at 20 - Trade to San Fran for Brandon Aiyuk
Trade up: JC Latham
Trade Back: Graham Barton

NEVER, under ANY circumstance trade a 1st rounder until you’re fairly certain where it will fall (sometime during the season). You don’t know what might happen and you could trade away a Top 5 pick.

Stay at 20, I think they take Mimms. I would not, however, be shocked or upset if they took Barton.

Trade up - yes please, but not in the first. I would be just fine if they moved up in the second to get the OT or OC they did not get in the first.

Trade Down - depends on how far and how the board looks, but I would be fine getting an extra pick by dropping down about 4 picks and then using that extra pick to move up in the second as I mentioned above.

WR becomes priority after that.
How many games did Mimms play in college? My understanding is that he’s a project, not a first year starter with tremendous upside potential.

How many games did Mimms play in college? My understanding is that he’s a project, not a first year starter with tremendous upside potential.
not many - like 8. I know he has some polish to put on but he is huge. At anyrate, I wasnt advocating for him, just saying that is who I think will be their pick at 20. I am fine with it. We need OL even if it takes them a little growth to get full time starter. and we know how HCMT hates to start rooks.

There really aren't many tackles who come in and light up the league. Many of them stink their first year or two.

Stay put at 20 and draft OT Mims. Move up in round two somehow and draft the center Frazier from WVU. OL is now fixed.
WR in round three. Sign Tyler Boyd.
Sign Safety Justin Simmons.
Team is better than last year. Now if we can get decent QB play maybe just maybe we can sneak into playoffs and actually win a game. I just don’t know what we can get out of old man Russ and Justin I’ve got potential Fields but at least they won’t be running for their lives and the running game should be much better.

if a good CB slides...take them at 20
if the top RT slip take them if cb not there

trade back and get extra picks for additional WR or ILB needs

Stay put at 20 and draft OT Mims. Move up in round two somehow and draft the center Frazier from WVU. OL is now fixed.
WR in round three. Sign Tyler Boyd.
Sign Safety Justin Simmons.
Team is better than last year. Now if we can get decent QB play maybe just maybe we can sneak into playoffs and actually win a game. I just don’t know what we can get out of old man Russ and Justin I’ve got potential Fields but at least they won’t be running for their lives and the running game should be much better.
Agree on boyd but Simmons is a free safety and the team already is spending big on a FS that's been forced to play in the box to help the run defense. Safety isn't a premium position and having 2 stellar contracts on it sounds like really bad money allocation. The team should find a wrecking ball to complement Minkah, maybe they already did with the Elliot signing, a cheap, complimentary player.

Spend that money at WR, CB or Tackle. Probably not now, but next season.

Again, Barton did play C, they moved him to LT because he was the best lineman on the team and could play it at a high level as well. There’s no seeing to be done, he can play C.
Being able to “play” center, and being one of the top 3 rated centers is different. I would just PREFER to take a player in 1 or 2 that is not going to change positions. Barton could be the guy, but I like to play the odds in round 1&2.

Besides, I don’t have ANY FAITH in a Tomlin coached team, being able to transition that player. Hell, he thought he could do it with Green.

Being able to “play” center, and being one of the top 3 rated centers is different. I would just PREFER to take a player in 1 or 2 that is not going to change positions. Barton could be the guy, but I like to play the odds in round 1&2.

Besides, I don’t have ANY FAITH in a Tomlin coached team, being able to transition that player. Hell, he thought he could do it with Green.
Barton is the top rated C in the draft as that’s where he’s projected to play in the NFL. He would “transition” to a less challenging position.

Agree but Green was completely out of the left field (is this the right phrase?). No one, ever, saw him as C transitional player, no one expected him to go anywhere near the 1st/2nd round, even as a guard he was a mid late option. That was a **** show from scouting to development.

Agree but Green was completely out of the left field (is this the right phrase?). No one, ever, saw him as C transitional player, no one expected him to go anywhere near the 1st/2nd round, even as a guard he was a mid late option. That was a **** show from scouting to development.
This is why I am less than excited about another transition player.
As much as I love being right, I could accept being wrong here.

They just need to find a way to get a starting RT and C. I don't care how they go about that, but it won't likely happen if they stay pat.

They just need to find a way to get a starting RT and C. I don't care how they go about that, but it won't likely happen if they stay pat.
So far so good. Hopefully they can get the C tomorrow, even if they have to move up to do it.