• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts game 2

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
starting D looks good

starting O....not so much

OL still needs to play better

Russell Wilson looked rusty

Herbig looks good as does P Wilson

Fields looked better but it was against lesser competition....bad over throw on what should have been an easy TD but then showed great escapability getting out of a sure sack

Preseason game, I am not going to get too hyped or down about anything

Hope Wilson and Warren are okay

The OL was not good. Not entirely unexpected with the youth, but I had hoped to see a little more. By extension, our running game is ****. I know, preseason n'at but this is supposed to be a run based system Smith brings to town. We gotta get that sh*t cleaned up or it going to be the same ole song and dance with the running game (again).

I did not buy the NFL+ yet, so no all 22 cam for me (if it is even there for preseason games), but my gut is that WR's were not getting open. Yea, I know pressure was in the QB face and Fields blew a sure TD. Just not confident in or WR room right now.

I kinda liked what I saw in Perine at times - may be a good depth/role player.

I saw big 98 (Leal) finding some gaps in the line to get a little pressure a few times early in the game. Just not enough to get to the QB.

Herbig continues to impress. Gotta find ways to get him on the field.

Pickens, Van Jeff, Roman W, CA3 and...?

Scotty doesn't know... yet

OL is garbage. This whole offense revolves around OL and running the ball. For unknown reason, they keep playing Jones at RT.

They drafted Jones to be the LT of the future, but then they decided Dan Moore has to play LT so make your 1st round and potential franchis OT learn a new position. Not Dan Moore. He can't possibly be asked to play RT but Jones? Sure let's just move him back and forth so he's mediocre at both spots.

The WRs suck. Pickens in the only one with any juice and he's not a great route runner. Every other WR on the roster is a role player or future walmart associate. Even Roman Wilson, he was mainly a slot guy in college.

Whatever the plan is at WR, they better get it done this week. Give SF a final offer and a deadline and then move on to plan B.

They need a slot CB. Sutton will miss half the year and the season could be done by then due to how hard the second half schedule is.

Well now I understand the 49ers strategy. The Steelers are going to be desperate for a positive narrative come Monday

OL is garbage. This whole offense revolves around OL and running the ball. For unknown reason, they keep playing Jones at RT.

They drafted Jones to be the LT of the future, but then they decided Dan Moore has to play LT so make your 1st round and potential franchis OT learn a new position. Not Dan Moore. He can't possibly be asked to play RT but Jones? Sure let's just move him back and forth so he's mediocre at both spots.

The WRs suck. Pickens in the only one with any juice and he's not a great route runner. Every other WR on the roster is a role player or future walmart associate. Even Roman Wilson, he was mainly a slot guy in college.

Whatever the plan is at WR, they better get it done this week. Give SF a final offer and a deadline and then move on to plan B.

They need a slot CB. Sutton will miss half the year and the season could be done by then due to how hard the second half schedule is.
For whatever reason it seems to take 12 games for the oline to come together. Which I get when multiple new guys. One tonight and he should be upgrade.

Ah, it’s pre season so just like I won’t get excited I won’t get down either. Remember last year!
The OL needs to play better and I wish they would play Jones at LT and I suppose that’s the plan when the rookie comes back to play RT.
Frazier will get better and better the more he plays.
I’m concerned with the two new QBs and think Wilson did look rusty but he’s no doubt the starter. Hopefully he can shake off the rust before Atlanta.
Fields I’m afraid is who I thought he was. A major project that’s not a starter at this time.
Better hold on to all our premium draft picks and forget this Aiyuk nonsense. This team will need those premium picks next year most likely for a QB.
Defense looked ok. Hopefully Payton Wilson is ok.
Nick Herbig is a player. I’d like to see him get a lot more playing time this year.
He’s got a non stop motor and I actually like him better than Highsmith.

Woods or Metchie if they are released by the Texans
I’ve mentioned Metchie a few times. Although of course he is an unknown so far in his NFL career. You think either one would be released,or a trade would have to get them?

Oline needs to gel. like others have said, n ot sure why BJ is still playing RT. but he kinda looked like **** anyway.

Punter is 100% better.

PQ will be just fine in the middle

an injury of any of the starting dline and they are ******. 100% needs to be top pick next year unless a stud QB drops

66 will be a starter next year. that means 4 of 5 olinemen will be in 2nd or 3rd year.

I’ve mentioned Metchie a few times. Although of course he is an unknown so far in his NFL career. You think either one would be released,or a trade would have to get them?
the texans have a lot of depth at WR, one of them more likely Woods could be cut or had in a trade

Metchie is just more of what they have, a bunch of unproven 3rd and 4th WRs. If he's cut and available, fine, but if they trade for a guy, it better be a proven vet.

Couple things. While preseason isn’t life or death for me,it sure would be nice to score more than 3 points. I mean Fields played the second half against their 2-3 rd defense. Some of the 3rd and 4th down play calling was just head scratching. Admittedly I didn’t watch every single play. But did they throw to our TE’s?
Middle of the field? Can’t remember any.
The OLine……work in progress. QB’s and play calling …….average,if that.
Our punter….spectacular. I thought our D played well.
I will say…..of course I was happy Canada was replaced. After reading about our current OC from the fans point of view from Atlanta I started to get worried. And the play calling from the first two games has done nothing to dispel that. Of course I’m not throwing him under the bus. But it sure would be nice to see some improvement from our offense.

Metchie is just more of what they have, a bunch of unproven 3rd and 4th WRs. If he's cut and available, fine, but if they trade for a guy, it better be a proven vet.
Definitely unproven. He was a highly regarded 2nd rounder. But cancer derailed his whole first season and needed his second season to get going again. By then Dell , Collins and Woods were doing their thing. Now Digs too. If the price was very reasonable I’d take the chance. He just turned 24.

I am certainly not freaking out. It is not talked about much, but did you know MIKE TOMLIN has never had a losing season?

Playing Jones at LT or RT really doesn't matter at this point. He was getting blown away physically. It's not like he was getting burnt by speed or moves. That concerns me.

Seeing our RB's still getting hit behind the LoS is disturbing especially considering we've spent 3 of our top 4 draft picks on O-line the past 2 drafts. The only thing worse than the run blocking was the pass blocking by the O-line. They were terrible today!

Russell Wilson & Justin Fields will be hard to watch this season....Wilson just doesn't seem to have it anymore and Justin Fields can't read Defenses.....he's not an NFL capable QB. Heck at this point I think Kyle Allen might be our best QB on the roster.

Playcalling looks meh....perhaps it because the O-line is so bad it's hard to evaluate.....but I don't have high hopes this season.

Defensively Peyton Wilson looks great for a rookie! He should be able to contribute in the middle along with Queen & Roberts. I think our Defense will be descent but they will wear down as the game goes along because our offense can't sustain drives and control the clock.

I was optimistic this season for the Steelers but honestly looking at our schedule I think this team will be 5-12 or 6-11.

This should be Tomlin's last season as Steelers coach! I was never really a Tomlin supporter....I'm probably one of the few people on here to think Tomlin is one of the most over-rated Head Coaches in NFL History! IMO the guy had more talent on his rosters from 2007-2016 than most other NFL teams but only managed 1 Super Bowl Victory!

I can only hope there's a young QB in the 2025 Draft the Steelers can build a team around.

I'm all for trading TJ Watt right now....maybe we can get a 1st & 2nd or 1st & 3rd for him.....I'd also trade George Pickens for a 2nd round pick. We need to start from scratch after this season and with a new Head Coach!

Reactions: xjx