• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts game 2

It's seems obvious to me the Steelers are going to pull a fast one on the early regular season opponents. For the preseason games, in order to not give anything away, the offense continues to use the previous Tomlin/Canada playbook. They will switch to the amazing new playbook once the actual season begins...

It's seems obvious to me the Steelers are going to pull a fast one on the early regular season opponents. For the preseason games, in order to not give anything away, the offense continues to use the previous Tomlin/Canada playbook. They will switch to the amazing new playbook once the actual season begins...

Sorry for the double post. My internet connection is trash at the moment. Please delete the repeat post and this one.

OL is garbage. This whole offense revolves around OL and running the ball. For unknown reason, they keep playing Jones at RT.

They drafted Jones to be the LT of the future, but then they decided Dan Moore has to play LT so make your 1st round and potential franchis OT learn a new position. Not Dan Moore. He can't possibly be asked to play RT but Jones? Sure let's just move him back and forth so he's mediocre at both spots.

The WRs suck. Pickens in the only one with any juice and he's not a great route runner. Every other WR on the roster is a role player or future walmart associate. Even Roman Wilson, he was mainly a slot guy in college.

Whatever the plan is at WR, they better get it done this week. Give SF a final offer and a deadline and then move on to plan B.

They need a slot CB. Sutton will miss half the year and the season could be done by then due to how hard the second half schedule is.
Jones was only at RT with the injury to Troy. He will be at LT when Troy returns.

QBs - Wilson really didn't have much to work with while he was out there. The protection was poor and the WRs aren't impressive. I was hoping for a little more given his experience and past success, but it was just a train wreck. Fields missed an easy deep TD and I'm not sure he dropped back and let one rip all game. I know he was playing with 4th stringers late in the game, but he was against non-roster players. Make some throws.

WRs - The days of Young Money and all that depth seem soooooo long ago. Is there a worse WR depth chart in the entire league?

OL - Frazier seemed decent in his first start and Anderson and McCormick look like that could be solid in the future. Jones has me concerned for a few reasons. First, how bad is his elbow injury? Also, how bad has the coaching staff screwed him up? The Steelers believed their tackles were so bad they had to spend back-to-back first-round picks on him, yet Dan Moore has that LT spot locked down and they're giving Jones the Kevin Dotson treatment. Jones was raw and needed to refine his technique at his future position. Now they're treating him like the swing tackle and it has almost certainly hurt his development. He was a raw prospect, how far have they set him back?

LBs - It's too bad Golden retired because Herbig looks even better this year and that would've been an insanely deep group. It looks to be a solid group at ILB and Wilson is making a run to get some early playing time in a 3-man rotation...well, rotating with Roberts.

P - Johnston was just launching balls into orbit. What a change from last year.

Jones was only at RT with the injury to Troy. He will be at LT when Troy returns.

I get that but why move Jones back and forth between RT and LT? You want him as your starting LT week 1. They specifically drafted Fautanu to play RT to further cement that they want Jones at LT. So instead of having Dan Moore, or Spencer Anderson, or whoever fill in at RT, you make Broderick do it. Maybe part of his struggles is that he's splitting reps at 2 positions.

I don't care if the playcalling is bland. It's supposed to be in preseason. I'd rather force the team to execute than to bail them out with a few schemed up plays vs backups to make the offense look good.

The QBs have been good. Rus looked good. He was under pressure a lot and still completed 8/10 with a near miss on a big play to Pickens. Allen was good last week and is as good as you could hope for a #3 QB.

Fields is up and down. The problem with fields is that the Urban Meyer offense at OSU was very simple for the QB. We see the same issues with air raid type QBs. They get used to throwing to guys open by 10 yards. Fields was always a project and he landed with the dysfunctional Bears. Their scheme was garbage and they had no weapons for him.

Fields is still a project and he has gotten better. He's slow to read defenses but that's an improvement over him barely reading them at all.

This OL needs to get their act together quickly. Look at the schedule. They have to win at least 5 of the first 9. More realistically, they need to win 6 of the first 9 because the final 8 games are brutal.

Sorry for the double post. My internet connection is trash at the moment. Please delete the repeat post and this one.
you can delete them yourself - look at the bottom of your message and you will see "report edit delete" - click on delete, give a reason, hit okay.

Jones looked awful.

QBs need to be better.

Herbig is a player.
Jones has never looked comfortable on that side of the ball as soon a Troy F. gets back they need to put them in their natural positions. Dan Moore can pound salt. Overall they just need to gel. Unfortunately the.back end of the schedule sucks. I thought Fields and Wilson played alright. They would have been better if OL protected them.

defense looked solid
huge improvement with punting
Frazier was OK
Jones was rough. Declined post game interview and post game announcers think something is going on with him. If he had an injury he should not be out there
Hard to judge QBs
Not over concerned yet, but we are still seeing the same trends as last year

The OL was not good. Not entirely unexpected with the youth, but I had hoped to see a little more. By extension, our running game is ****. I know, preseason n'at but this is supposed to be a run based system Smith brings to town. We gotta get that sh*t cleaned up or it going to be the same ole song and dance with the running game (again).

I did not buy the NFL+ yet, so no all 22 cam for me (if it is even there for preseason games), but my gut is that WR's were not getting open. Yea, I know pressure was in the QB face and Fields blew a sure TD. Just not confident in or WR room right now.

I kinda liked what I saw in Perine at times - may be a good depth/role player.

I saw big 98 (Leal) finding some gaps in the line to get a little pressure a few times early in the game. Just not enough to get to the QB.

Herbig continues to impress. Gotta find ways to get him on the field.
Just because Leal didn’t get to the QB, doesn’t mean he isn’t in the running for DPOY. Unfinished pressure is all the rage now, sacks are so last decade.

The SAME EXACT PROBLEMS still exist this year, even after securing a new OC. This just CONTINUES TO PROVE the issue isn’t with the OC, it is with the HEAD COACH and his aversion to risk philosophy.

I can’t wait till week 4 and everyone is calling for Smith to be fired, because the O results are 100% the same as the last 3-5 years.

I'm wondering if the Steelers picked Fautanu in the first round because they have concerns about Jones being a bust. They see him every day in practice and maybe he just hasn't progressed. He should have been handed the starting LT job this season.

Unless Jones was playing injured, and I highly doubt it, what happened tonight was extremely concerning. Even if he was playing out of position, no way he should have been over powered the way he was.

I'm wondering if the Steelers picked Fautanu in the first round because they have concerns about Jones being a bust. They see him every day in practice and maybe he just hasn't progressed. He should have been handed the starting LT job this season.

Unless Jones was playing injured, and I highly doubt it, what happened tonight was extremely concerning. Even if he was playing out of position, no way he should have been over powered the way he was

The Steelers are nowhere in the zip code of competing for a championship. Many of us will be much older when that happens. The owner is stuck in the matrix. Same stuff, different year.

Unless Jones was playing injured, and I highly doubt it, what happened tonight was extremely concerning. Even if he was playing out of position, no way he should have been over powered the way he was
Yes Jones was playing injured and will see a Dr.

What a contrast from last years preseason,and we know how that ended up.

It's a young inexperienced team. I'm most concerned about the development of our OL.

It may take half the season before things start to look good on the OL,I hope not,but that's reality.

I would hope both quarterbacks play next week with the starters.

Is it me or does everyone seem scared to throw the ball downfield? When they did have time,nothing.

The wide receivers need to keep working when Fields is in. He can extend plays with his legs.

Some dumb play calling in short yardage situations. They can't even fool 3rd&4th stringers with it.

The SAME EXACT PROBLEMS still exist this year, even after securing a new OC. This just CONTINUES TO PROVE the issue isn’t with the OC, it is with the HEAD COACH and his aversion to risk philosophy.

I can’t wait till week 4 and everyone is calling for Smith to be fired, because the O results are 100% the same as the last 3-5 years.
Well Mikey only allows new OC’s to change a maximum of 2% of HIS playbook as he wants to retain the continuity of HIS awesome turtle scheme he has been unleashing hell with for years.

is it time to bring Whiz back to reset the offense 🤣?

My thoughts.....meh. just preseason as usual. Go Steelers!!!!!

Why not play Jones at LT and Moore at RT? So in a regular season scenario if our rookie gets hurts Jones would be going back over to RT and Moore to LT.... I am guessing. Moore must be horrible at the RT position. Have we ever seen him play there?

preseason. it's terrible. No ones cares - even the coaches.
See you week 1.

Why not play Jones at LT and Moore at RT? So in a regular season scenario if our rookie gets hurts Jones would be going back over to RT and Moore to LT.... I am guessing. Moore must be horrible at the RT position. Have we ever seen him play there?
I think they saw him at camp at RT and was like woah Nellie. Yeah more has to stay on the left. Troy and him might be the initial pair until Jones gets healthy. We’ll see.

If they stumble out of the gate and have groundhog day season it will be laughable when Teflon Tomlin escapes criticism. There I coined his new handle. Teflon Tomlin.