• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on cowboy Game

Deep inside the 10 doesn’t equate to a favorable outcome.They should known this team isn’t the making of the second Steeler curtain. Stop treating them like they are.
I honestly think we are not far off. If Minkah would get his mojo back and we get our OLBs healthy we have our other inside corner when he is unsuspended.

Deep inside the 10 doesn’t equate to a favorable outcome.They should known this team isn’t the making of the second Steeler curtain. Stop treating them like they are.
Once they fumbled and lost five yards I thought we were in a favorable position.

Once they fumbled and lost five yards I thought we were in a favorable position.
Before that they weren’t. But where way too close to the end zone for comfort. Approach might have been fine with more time. But time wasn’t their friend.

but yeah for me they weren’t the biggest issue but failed when they needed to succeed the most..

The last play was very good coverage. The WR made a strong catch. I do think they severely misused the timeouts though

Once again we have too many players on the field. Tomlin has to use a timeout and allows the game winning TD pass player back on the field.

You can’t make this crap up.

This team could have very well been 5-0, but they are very lucky to even be 3-2

The schedule gets much harder it could be .500 or worse before the bye week.

We continue to make the same mistakes.

The team is coached like we have a substitute teacher that everyone loves because they are easy and let the kids do whatever they want.

They coach around the offense. Their record is as good as most teams but when you watch a Sunday slate you realize they are not playing the same game. Give Russ a try. Won't work. In the end Tomlin's view of modern football is the issue

The last play was very good coverage. The WR made a strong catch. I do think they severely misused the timeouts though
1st time out - on coaches/ Fields. The 4th and 1 play was doomed for failure. QB didn't have the ability to check out of it

2nd time out - prevented a 12 players on the field on first and 10 - on players. Somebody missed something in substitution.

I think those were both good but unnecessary time outs to take considering the situation. After that the 3rd time out was a moot point how it was used with only one left.

You don’t play single deep safety to stop long passes, you go to cover 2.
We're playing single deep safety because we can't stop the run AND the deep pass. We have multiple problems 😡

Last edited:
I honestly think we are not far off. If Minkah would get his mojo back and we get our OLBs healthy we have our other inside corner when he is unsuspended.
At times it's seemed we aren't far off. But the beginning of the Indy game and all of last night it's been a big case of wtf is going on. Missing players can't be an issue. In today's NFL you're rarely fielding a team that's not missing a key part.

Let’s see what Wilson can do. Let Fields watch a guy who has won something.
Can’t hurt to give him a go once he’s healthy/ready

Hard to pull a 3-0 QB with injured other option
Much easier after back to back losses as the other option gets healthy

Won’t know what he has left until he’s out there

Hopefully he’s ready soon

1. Minkah was the Steelers leading tackler.
2. Offensive line decimated by injury.
3. Beanie Bishop should be on the unable to perform list...not because of injury.
4. TJ Watt was pummeled 90% of this game, some reps were just embarrassing.
5. Queen disappeared because our Defensive line was manhandled.

At times it's seemed we aren't far off. But the beginning of the Indy game and all of last night it's been a big case of wtf is going on. Missing players can't be an issue. In today's NFL you're rarely fielding a team that's not missing a key part.
with limited rosters and 32 teams thats a nice sentiment but at certain positions when you are down to the 4th string on the edge it can't help but be an issue no matter how much you try to scheme it. Even Herbig gets overwhelmed trying to set the edge and Leal is too raw at the position and he got hurt as well. O line is easier to cover with scheme as you call the plays.

with limited rosters and 32 teams thats a nice sentiment but at certain positions when you are down to the 4th string on the edge it can't help but be an issue no matter how much you try to scheme it. Even Herbig gets overwhelmed trying to set the edge and Leal is too raw at the position and he got hurt as well. O line is easier to cover with scheme as you call the plays.
Yet Dallas was missing their top 2 Edge Rushers. The top paid players have to start playing like they're the top paid players.

1. **** Dallas.
2. **** Dallas.
3. **** Dallas.

so our MENSA Coach, the one the media fawns over for being so brilliant, took our #1 WR off the field to get more productivity out of him? Is that correct? More is less when it comes to snap count on a run heavy offense for a WR? WTF? Limiting who our fresh new QB can throw to by removing his #1 option in the pass game, AND calling **** plays seems counter productive to moving the chains.

When Highsmith and Herbig are back, I move Herbig to ILB next to Wilson/Roberts. Seems we kept Queen more in the secondary than closer to the line...where a linebacker should be.

**** Dallas.

We seem to always take the lead too soon. Just like the Ben pass to AB. We left too much time.

Which one, ???

The one were AB extended over the goal line for the win? Playing Against the rats, of course.

Salute the nation

Bishop is a guy who could be a useful player... but he is a ******* rookie... players arent all ready to play right out of the box...

One of the more infuriating aspects to Mike Tomlin is his belief that the Slot corner can basically be filled with just anyone... Bishop has tge physical quickness... but he has too many misreads and miscommunications... probably because he is a ******* Rookie who needed to not start day 1

The coverage was pretty good. He almost broke it up. We really missed Herbig and Highsmith in that situation.

Add in that that pass was the one pass Dak threw that was placed excellently.

Salute the nation

1. **** Dallas.
2. **** Dallas.
3. **** Dallas.

so our MENSA Coach, the one the media fawns over for being so brilliant, took our #1 WR off the field to get more productivity out of him? Is that correct? More is less when it comes to snap count on a run heavy offense for a WR? WTF? Limiting who our fresh new QB can throw to by removing his #1 option in the pass game, AND calling **** plays seems counter productive to moving the chains.

When Highsmith and Herbig are back, I move Herbig to ILB next to Wilson/Roberts. Seems we kept Queen more in the secondary than closer to the line...where a linebacker should be.

**** Dallas.

I believe Pickens half *** runs his routes. You can't halfass your way to being a no.1 wideout.

We continue to make the same mistakes.

The team is coached like we have a substitute teacher that everyone loves because they are easy and let the kids do whatever they want.

I've not seen this comparison before, but it sure seems to be SPOT on.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
1. The Arthur Smith Experiement is starting look a lot like the Matt Canada Experiement only without a dozen jet sweeps each game.

2. The Steelers excel at having one malcontent, childish WR on the team without anyone on the other side to throw to during temper tantrums. This is a Mike Tomlin mainstay. They must do personality searches during the draft process to identify the diva personality types.

3. The front office has dedicated way too much money to the defense, and mostly on long-term contracts, in an age when offense is a necessity to win. This Steelers team is build to play in the 1985-2000 era of football. The 3-4 is not a good deensive alignment against pass happy, spread type offenses. Don't believe me? Look around college football and tell me what good teams run the 3-4 these days? The game changed. The Steelers haven't. Having 40% of your salary cap dedicated to the D-Line and LB while having only 1 legit WR on the roster is beyond gross mismanagement of resources.

4. Najee. I wanted him to succeed here but he is not a Number 1 RB in this league. I've seen enough. He has a whole bunch of wasted size. Smallest 240 pound RB my eyes have seen in a long time. If Arthur Smith thought he was putting Derek Henry 2.0 out there, he should have stayed on vacation. With those tap danacing feet of his, maybe he will appear on Dancing with the Stars someday.

5. The O-Line. Even before the injuries, WTF is this organization doing? They seem intent on destroying Broderick Jones for whatever is left of his career. Why draft a guy that high to play him like a game of whack-a-mole with his role? Sucks that we lost Fau for this season but his knee was a known injury risk coming out of college. The rest ... how does this team continue to suffer so many terrible injuries to the O-Line year after year? Cursed? Strength and conditioning? Flexibility? Make these boys start doing yoga every morning or something.

6. Patrick Queen, Payton Wilson. Loved the idea of having 2 speedsters at ILB. They've been very silent so far this season. No forced fumbles. No INT. Not many big hits. Roberts with the play of the year last night reminded everyone what a middle linebacker is supposed to look like. Love that guy's motor.

7. QB. The soap opera continues. Everybody waiting on Russ like he will be the second coming. While I hope so, I just ain't buying it. His last 2 teams gave up on him quickly. Ans he is already old before ever stepping on the field. Speaking of Field(s) ... that guy is frustrating. All the physical talent in the world. And when he throws it downfield, really throws it, he throws a beautiful ball with velocity. Unfortunately, it rarely goes to a receiver who can get a hand on it. But it sure looks pretty on the screen until the camera man follows it to its inevitable crash landing on the grass. We will not win in a QB-driven league without a QB. This off-season is going to be another series of lottery tickets hoping to win the Powerball.

I'm grumpy this morning and this 3rd cup of coffee is not helping.