• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on the raven game

Chuks was basically useless in the running game. It's not a coincidence they starting running the ball better as soon as he was benched.

A lot of that had to do with Jones being a beast, but there was some addition by subtraction there as well.

Maybe Moore is incapable of playing the right side, but I think it would be unfortunate, as he has been a key reason why they've been running as well as they have.

Regardless, Jones is probably going to be the LT next year (hopefully for the next decade). That is why they drafted him.
I hope Moore can learn RT. It would save a draft pick or a bunch of capital on a FA.

The only teams I think we can't potentially beat in the playoffs are the 2 in our division. Today's win was nice against their Ravens backups but a return trip there against Lamar will be ugly. And don't want to play the Browns D if we don't have TJ on ours...
Nah. The Chefs are very beatable. I’d welcome a matchup with those guys.

Everyone else is a tougher game IMO.

Nah. The Chefs are very beatable. I’d welcome a matchup with those guys.

Everyone else is a tougher game IMO.

Imagine Travis Kelce against the Steelers current defense. It would be ugly.

The Browns are probably about the only offense in the potential AFC field that the Steelers would have a realistic chance to hold under 20 points, though anything can happen in a given week.

Getting into the playoffs still depends on two games, really do we believe we will go past the first round. Look at the makeup of our team a lot of patching for all the injuries. Now if Watt is out just adds more fill ins to do the job. We won yesterday against a team with how many starters out, I love we won and especially against Baltimore at their field. Too many factors against us in the playoffs. The game yesterday we did see some players step up but we do have a big concern in the secondary with the coverage and yards after catch.
Mason had a great game with the conditions as well as Najee. Watching the TV coverage showing Pickens routes, someone need to get in his ear. You want the ball work to get open. Lasy rout running. I get Warren fumbles he is out there working his tail off , bad conditions it happens. Mason had two as well. Time for Harvin to move on terrible punts, if it was not for lucky bounces his average may have been 35 yards.
Nothing better than beating Hairball and the Ravens especially in Baltimore, hats off to the effort yesterday.

Hmmm. With Pickett at quarterback in the first game against the Ravens earlier this season, Pickens had 6 catches for 130 yards on 10 targets. Yesterday, George didn't have a single target, let alone a reception. I guess it wasn't completely Kenny's fault for the games that GP wasn't getting his looks, after all.

playcalling is still an issue - at times it flat sucked

Rudy played well enough to win this type of game

Disney needs to do better with the cameras on games like this

Nice post. These were three big and completely unrelated and for different reasons highlights for me. Even in our 30+ point games this occasionally reared its head too. If we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs, these lapses need to go.

On Rudy, the first thing I noted at the end of the game was that he found a way to score in the worst weather game of the year as many of our "good" games in great weather (or domes) pre-Mason. He also was able to occasionally stretch the field while mostly making safe passes and keeping a crazy high completion percent.

The camera stuff was just downright stupid. Yes, we know its raining. Fix the camera stuff. Thanks.

Hmmm. With Pickett at quarterback in the first game against the Ravens earlier this season, Pickens had 6 catches for 130 yards on 10 targets. Yesterday, George didn't have a single target, let alone a reception. I guess it wasn't completely Kenny's fault for the games that GP wasn't getting his looks, after all.

I see where you are coming from, but Pickett also did not play in a rainstorm in that game where you literally take what you can get. That being said, there are aways going to be games here and there where a WR doesn't get fed for whatever reason.

My key takeaway from Pickens yesterday was that he did not seem to go bonkers for not getting the ball. I also saw him running to and celebrating with his teammates and otherwise playing hard. And he got the first when called. Took advantage of opportunity. Unless there was something I missed, from a 1000-foot view, this may have been Pickens' most mature game, particularly in the face of his minimal ball-in-hands time. For me, that is a win and good production for the day.

If this team gets in. Can they win without TJ?
I disagree with Lunar. They absolutely can win without TJ. We are 4 deep at OLB this year when we were only 2 deep last year (Everyone behind TJ and Highsmth coudn't get pressure). Golden got a sack and good pressure in relief and I love what Herbig brings to the table. Great depth here.

Anyone can win any game as long as they show up but Watt is a generational player who makes game changing plays the way we change channels with a remote

I see where you are coming from, but Pickett also did not play in a rainstorm in that game where you literally take what you can get. That being said, there are aways going to be games here and there where a WR doesn't get fed for whatever reason.

My key takeaway from Pickens yesterday was that he did not seem to go bonkers for not getting the ball. I also saw him running to and celebrating with his teammates and otherwise playing hard. And he got the first when called. Took advantage of opportunity. Unless there was something I missed, from a 1000-foot view, this may have been Pickens' most mature game, particularly in the face of his minimal ball-in-hands time. For me, that is a win and good production for the day.
The rainstorm didn't seem to affect DJ, who had 4 catches for 89 yards.

Pickens has been hot and cold all year, no matter who's been playing quarterback. But I do agree that this week, he handled his lack of use well for a change. It helps when the team is winning.