• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting image re gun ownership vs. frequency of homicides

I'd like to see a mass shooting frequency by prevalence of psychotropic drug use on children. Here is what I could find -

The annual prevalence of any psychotropic medication in youth was significantly greater in the US (6.7%) than in the Netherlands (2.9%) and in Germany (2.0%). Antidepressant and stimulant prevalence were 3 or more times greater in the US than in the Netherlands and Germany, while antipsychotic prevalence was 1.5–2.2 times greater.
from - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569908/

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 24, 2008 (HealthDay News) -- American children are three times more likely to be prescribed psychotropic medications for conditions such as ADHD and bipolar disease than European children are, a new study finds.
- from https://consumer.healthday.com/kids...psychotropic-drugs-than-europeans-619677.html

The United States was not included in the OECD analysis (we've added it to the chart below), but if it had been, it would knock Iceland out of the top spot: 11% of Americans over the age of 12 take an antidepressant.
- from https://www.businessinsider.com/countries-largest-antidepressant-drug-users-2016-2

School Shootings: Mental Health Watchdog Says Psychotropic Drug Use by School Shooters Merits Federal Investigation - CCHR International’s investigation into school violence reveals that at least 36 school shootings and/or school-related acts of violence have been committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 172 wounded and 80 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs or undergone other behavioral therapy.)[2] At least 27 international drug regulatory agency warnings have been issued on psychiatric drugs being linked to mania, violence, hostility, aggression, psychosis, and homicidal ideation (thoughts or fantasies of homicide that can be planned).
from - https://www.cchrint.org/2018/02/20/...school-shooters-merits-federal-investigation/

From Prozac to Parkland: Are Psychiatric Drugs Causing Mass Shootings? - While mass killers generally have guns in their hands, another commonality is that they often have psychiatric drugs in their blood. The difference, though, is that it isn't guns that have the side effect of "homicidal ideation."
from - https://www.thenewamerican.com/usne...-are-psychiatric-drugs-causing-mass-shootings

On a positive note, I went to the range on Sunday, and was very happy with my groupings.
Just wanted the share some good news.

While all these stats are great, how many other developed countries have people walk into schools and start killing kuds / teachers etc etc. ? The question is if you guys had a child killed in a school shooting how would you feel? I think tougher gun laws would help in some instances. How many times have these shooters have several red flags that were ignored? Are things like high capacity mags, silencers, bump stocks, etc etc needed? If this stuff was banned i would not care at all. I used to hunt, and i own an SKS with a 30 round mag. Sure it is fun to go out anns blast targets, but it does not make me feel safer and it certainly isn't going to protect me from trained military. It is nothing more than a toy to me.

arent guns essentially non-existent in Canada?
just had a shooting at the Toronto Raptors' victory parade today.

they had a shooting in a New Zealand mosque recently, in case you missed it

And another in Australia.

again, in countries with strict gun laws. pray tell how criminals got their hands on guns in NZ and Australia? Must have jetted over to another island, I suppose? Or maybe they got them off the black market?

You say you have an SKS that you consider a toy. How about you hand that toy over to a real man who knows it's not a toy? people like you are the ones who have their guns stolen.

Less poorly armed people fought our military and did quite a bit of damage. assuming the bulk of the military would follow those orders against US citizens.

Poorly armed did damage because our military played by the rules. If our military truely decided to fight civilians we would have absolutely no shot. I mean be realistic one single bomb would destroy a whole group of fighters and they wouldnt even see it coming. Then you have tanks / apaches, squadrons of planes etc etc.....Anyone that truely believes we could honestly fight the military is living in a dream land.

I think there should be much stricter background checks especially for people with mental issues. You guys say stricter gun control wont help, but lets say a disturbed person cant purchase a gun legally. That creates another kink in their plan. Maybe they cant find a gun and have to use a knife. It is much easier to subdue a person with a knife than a gun. Like I said guns are fun and I enjoy shooting them, but kids / coworkers lives are more important. Im all for hunting rifles, personal protection handguns, and shotguns. Anything else are just adult toys. What purpose does a civilian need a silencer for? You should be wearing ear protection anyways....I am not sure how you can say some tougher laws wont help how many of these shooters have had mental issues? Back in the early 90s my neighbor and his friends were screwing around. He pretended that his car stalled on railroad tracks. Of course there was really an oncoming train and he panicked....Needless to say 2 or 3 died, one went to hospital and my neighbor made it out. I think he only received house arrest, but he came from a big family and they all hunted they were not even allowed guns on the property (which was a farm). Knowing that and seeing these others with domestic violence or dishonorable discharges or several welfare checks etc etc being able to purchase guns makes 0 sense to me.

So you think the civilians would be supplying the military that was trying to subjugate them?

Poorly armed did damage because our military played by the rules. If our military truely decided to fight civilians we would have absolutely no shot. I mean be realistic one single bomb would destroy a whole group of fighters and they wouldnt even see it coming. Then you have tanks / apaches, squadrons of planes etc etc.....Anyone that truely believes we could honestly fight the military is living in a dream land.

I think there should be much stricter background checks especially for people with mental issues. You guys say stricter gun control wont help, but lets say a disturbed person cant purchase a gun legally. That creates another kink in their plan. Maybe they cant find a gun and have to use a knife. It is much easier to subdue a person with a knife than a gun. Like I said guns are fun and I enjoy shooting them, but kids / coworkers lives are more important. Im all for hunting rifles, personal protection handguns, and shotguns. Anything else are just adult toys. What purpose does a civilian need a silencer for? You should be wearing ear protection anyways....I am not sure how you can say some tougher laws wont help how many of these shooters have had mental issues? Back in the early 90s my neighbor and his friends were screwing around. He pretended that his car stalled on railroad tracks. Of course there was really an oncoming train and he panicked....Needless to say 2 or 3 died, one went to hospital and my neighbor made it out. I think he only received house arrest, but he came from a big family and they all hunted they were not even allowed guns on the property (which was a farm). Knowing that and seeing these others with domestic violence or dishonorable discharges or several welfare checks etc etc being able to purchase guns makes 0 sense to me.

Sorry man, but there is so much fail in that post I don't even know where to start.
You have to remember, military personnel are citizens too. Will they fight against their own?
Silencers? How many killings have silencers enabled the killer to be better at it?
Mentally ill people are already flagged and not able to purchase guns, what's needed is a better way to get mentally ill people on the no go list, not punishing the other 99%.

While all these stats are great, how many other developed countries have people walk into schools and start killing kuds / teachers etc etc. ?

Why speak on a topic you haven't researched? It sounds as if you've been fed media lines you're simply regurgitating.

Consider the following link:

https://www.infoplease.com/us/crime/timeline-worldwide-school-and-mass-shootings

I eliminated many line items like workplace shootings, Ft. Hood, the Orlando nightclub (all of which got mixed in).

Per the other poster's comments on homicide stats and how they are counted in other countries, it's very relevant to this "database" as you'll see many school shootings listed in the US that involved one victim only. Or none. Or two. But I left those in. They weren't mass shootings by any stretch, but Leftists built the database so they include solo homicides as mass shootings. Go figure.

From this database, since 1996 (87 incidences):
  • 18 international school shootings
  • 69 US school shootings
  • 164 died in the international school shootings
  • 176 died in the US school shootings
Before you go saying "just look how long that list is" consider that for whatever bizarre reason, 0 deaths, 1 death, 2 deaths are all listed in this database. Yep, even if gunfire occurred and ONE person was injured, they considered it a mass shooting.

• Out of "69 mass school shootings" listed, 35 involved 1 or 0 victims.
  • Another 15 involved 2 victims.
  • So of the 69 mass school shootings in the USA, 50 involved 2 victims or less.[/B]
Illegal aliens kill more people in one state annually than school shooters have killed humans in 33 years.

Gun-related tragedies in the U.S. and around the world - https://www.infoplease.com/us/crime/timeline-worldwide-school-and-mass-shootings
The table lists notable worldwide mass and school shootings from 1996 to the present.

Last edited:

interesting. so you're suggesting that if our military did what they're capable of that no civilian uprising could amount to much of an assault? almost as if our military is holding back - or being held back - when performing their jobs at present.

What is interesting is that, a while back, a state (or was it congress) tried to pass a law that any time an illegal immigrant tried to buy a gun, ICE would be notified.

Looks like the house

The amendment was approved on a 220-209 vote, with 26 Democrats joining the GOP in support. Only one Republican voted against it.

While all these stats are great, how many other developed countries have people walk into schools and start killing kids / teachers etc etc. ?

Most of them.

France: Nice truck attack, 2015 Muslim attacks. Total for those two - more than 200 dead.

Russia: Beslan school hostage crisis, 385 killed. Kerch Polytechnic College massacre in 2018, 20 students/teachers killed.

Norway: 2011 Norway school attacks, 77 killed.

Scotland: Dunblane school massacre, 16 students and 1 teacher killed.

England: Cumbria shootings in 2010 when gunman Derrick Bird, killed 12 people.

Australia: Port Arthur Massacre in 1996, gunman killed 35 people and wounded 23.

Canada: École Polytechnique massacre, shooter killed 14 and injured 14 in school shooting.

Israel: Ma'alot massacre, 31 killed, 70 injured.

Germany: 2002 Erfurt school massacre, 16 killed, 1 injured.

Germany: 2009 Winnenden school shooting, 15 killed, 9 injured.

China: 2006 Shiguan kindergarten attack, 12 killed, 5 injured.

The question is if you guys had a child killed in a school shooting how would you feel?

How do you think I would feel? Seriously, do you believe any of us who post on this forum would feel good about our kids being murdered in school by some ******* maniac?? What you are doing is illogical and known as an appeal to emotion.

But let me answer the question: I would give anything to save my kids. Anything. I would kill to protect my wife and kids; I would die to protect my wife and kids. And I would hope that a good guy with a gun was nearby to stop the bad guy with a gun.

I think tougher gun laws would help in some instances. How many times have these shooters have several red flags that were ignored? Are things like high capacity mags, silencers, bump stocks, etc etc needed? If this stuff was banned i would not care at all. I used to hunt, and i own an SKS with a 30 round mag. Sure it is fun to go out anns blast targets, but it does not make me feel safer and it certainly isn't going to protect me from trained military. It is nothing more than a toy to me.

You string together, in Joyce-like fashion, a series of thoughts that are not really even related. In particular, what gun control law would have stopped any of the shootings I listed above, or any mass school shooting in the United States? Seriously, what law would have prevented those mass murders?

Also, bans on "high-capacity" magazines are a myth. How many "high-capacity" magazines are already out there? Millions ... tens of millions ... likely, hundreds of millions. By-the-by, you know what the sphincter-shriveled states call a "high-capacity magazine"?? More than 10 rounds. Know what comes with almost every semi-auto handgun currently manufactured? 15-round magazines. Glock, Walther, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, all 15 round magazines, standard issue.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/glock-magazine-gen-4-glock-19-9mm-luger-15-round-polymer-black.html

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-VP9-SK-Magazines-Parts-c547.htm

https://shop.waltherarms.com/pistol-magazines

https://www.gunclips.net/smwe59se9mm1.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/brands/sig-sauer/9mm-luger

The 1911 is the only 9mm that comes with a factory standard magazine of 10 rounds or less. You want to know what happens when you place the 10-round limit on magazines? Buyers generally have to go with the subcompact for the best selling 9mm guns - Glock, Walther, HK, S&W, Sig Sauer. Subcompacts, much, much easier to conceal. Indeed, that is pretty much the point for subcompacts - concealed carry. You want that?

Oh, okay, you want the guns to be difficult to conceal, but still have 10-round limits. Want to know what that means? .45's are going to be the weapon of choice - Glock 21, Sig Sauer P220, Smith & Wesson 1911, Heckler & Koch HK45. Hey, 7 to 10 round magazines!! Success!! Except now you have us carrying hand cannons. You are kept awake worrying about those 15-round magazines? Wait until you see what happens when you force Americans to buy concealed-carry designed weapons, and .45's that tear a hole in people that cannot be fixed. Those numbers above with "x" injured? That number will not be much of an issue any more, since a .45 kills what it hits.

Jitter77 said:
I used to hunt, and i own an SKS with a 30 round mag. Sure it is fun to go out anns blast targets, but it does not make me feel safer and it certainly isn't going to protect me from trained military. It is nothing more than a toy to me.

Two points ... if and when you need protection from trained military, then magazine capacity will be about 1,235,814 of things you have to worry about. Second, being allowed to have a "high capacity" magazine does not REQUIRE you have to have it, though I must point out that it is a bit odd that you suggest banning a magazine you currently have.

Finally, mass school shootings, mass murder, murder in general are the product of dangerous, ******-up people. Humans have been killing each other since before time was recorded. For crying out loud, the bible tells of the murder at the very beginning of our time on earth. The question is, "What do we do? What works and doesn't work?"

What works is a good guy with a gun.

On Monday morning, Thomas Richard Cowan loaded 13 bullets into two handguns [hey, no "high-capacity" magazines!! Feel safer?], left his German shepherd chained to the fence and drove eight miles from his home in Kingsport to Sullivan Central High School. Whatever his mission, it was the 62-year-old Vietnam veteran’s final drive. Cowan trained a .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol at Riden’s face, said Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson. Carolyn Gudger, the school resource officer, drew her gun, then shielded the principal’s body with her own.

One hundred and twenty seconds after Cowan drew his gun, two deputies, Lt. Steve Williams and Sam Matney, arrived. They entered through separate doors and met Cowan and Gudger – still in a moving standoff – as they reached a science pod behind the cafeteria. Cowan wavered; he jerked his gun from Gudger to the other deputies then back again. The three officers told him, again, to drop his weapon. He wouldn’t.

So they opened fire. Some students counted five shots, others counted six. Anderson would not say how many rounds hit the gunman. Cowan fell to the ground, his shoes just feet from door to the library full of teenagers. The pistol in his hand had seven bullets in the magazine and another in the chamber. He had a second handgun in his back pocket, loaded with five rounds.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/article_35434f30-00d3-522f-98f1-58f372591713.html

9 Potential Mass Shootings That Were Stopped By Someone With A Personally Owned Firearm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ss-shootings-that-were-stopped-by-someone-wit

The only way to stop a psychopath with a gun is to confront him with a good guy with a gun. Gun control laws, limits on magazine capacity, etc. simply don't do the trick.

Democrat presidential hopeful Eric Swalwell (D-CT) used a Monday speech to reveal his hopes to ban the individual ownership of more than 200 rounds of any given caliber of ammunition.

He outlined his plan to the 18 people who showed up to hear him talk near NRA headquarters.

The Washington Examiner reported that Swalwell also made clear he plans to ban bump stocks, although they are already banned, and to ban “high capacity” magazines, the sale of ammunition online, and the purchase of more than one handgun each month.

He also wants to put a 48-hour waiting period in place for gun purchases and repeal the law protecting gun manufacturers from being sued frivolously.

These controls are on top of Swalwell’s ongoing push for a mandatory buyback of all AR-15s, AK-47s, and other commonly-owned semiautomatic rifles.

His mandatory buyback plan was originally coupled with the intimation that the government could nuke Americans who refuse to comply with the confiscatory rules. He then softened the push by telling CNN’s Jake Tapper that the non-compliant would simply face jail time. A third option was then added, whereby gun owners could take their guns to a hunting or shooting club instead of handing them directly to the government.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...an-ownership-of-more-than-200-rounds-of-ammo/

200 rounds ... my neighbor has about 15 times that amount. The guy also regularly uses 150 rounds each time he goes to the range.

200 ******* rounds. No ammo purchases online, so I guess the **** wants my neighbor to pay more for ammo. Does he hate poor people?

Oh, given how anti-gun this shitstick is, I suggest he have no armed guards anywhere near him. What, the rules don't apply to him? Yeah, surprise there. He gets guards armed with 15+ 1 magazines for their .45's, and 200+ ******* rounds on them, while the dumbshits like you and me hope bad guys start obeying laws.

I genuinely hate dumbfucks like Swalwell. Hate.

Again, I hate our growing use of "adjectives" to segregate everything into little "problems to solve".

Gun violence isn't the problem. Violence is the problem. Hate crimes aren't a problem. Crime is a problem.

Don't try to create little subgroups of problems to make yourself feel good as you try to solve them. It's just bullshit.

On a positive note, I went to the range on Sunday, and was very happy with my groupings.
Just wanted the share some good news.

Nice. My neighbor's recent grouping, Glock 19, Gen 5, from 18' where the target is about 3.5" diameter:

Target practice.jpg

I guess the photo shows the guy lying sideways since he was scared to death ...

bz-5d091fdf285ff.jpeg

Democrat presidential hopeful Eric Swalwell (D-CT) used a Monday speech to reveal his hopes to ban the individual ownership of more than 200 rounds of any given caliber of ammunition.

He outlined his plan to the 18 people who showed up to hear him talk near NRA headquarters.

The Washington Examiner reported that Swalwell also made clear he plans to ban bump stocks, although they are already banned, and to ban “high capacity” magazines, the sale of ammunition online, and the purchase of more than one handgun each month.

He also wants to put a 48-hour waiting period in place for gun purchases and repeal the law protecting gun manufacturers from being sued frivolously.

These controls are on top of Swalwell’s ongoing push for a mandatory buyback of all AR-15s, AK-47s, and other commonly-owned semiautomatic rifles.

His mandatory buyback plan was originally coupled with the intimation that the government could nuke Americans who refuse to comply with the confiscatory rules. He then softened the push by telling CNN’s Jake Tapper that the non-compliant would simply face jail time. A third option was then added, whereby gun owners could take their guns to a hunting or shooting club instead of handing them directly to the government.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...an-ownership-of-more-than-200-rounds-of-ammo/

200 rounds ... my neighbor has about 15 times that amount. The guy also regularly uses 150 rounds each time he goes to the range.

200 ******* rounds. No ammo purchases online, so I guess the **** wants my neighbor to pay more for ammo. Does he hate poor people?

Oh, given how anti-gun this shitstick is, I suggest he have no armed guards anywhere near him. What, the rules don't apply to him? Yeah, surprise there. He gets guards armed with 15+ 1 magazines for their .45's, and 200+ ******* rounds on them, while the dumbshits like you and me hope bad guys start obeying laws.

The only good part of that plan is that it will stop someone who is planning a mass shooting from buying more that 200 rounds. Wait..

I guess we'd need a government agency that monitored how much ammo you have and you would have to demonstrate and file paperwork to show how much you use so you could buy more. Clearly, to pay for that, you'd need a higher tax on that very ammo. What about disparate results? Those who can afford it won't be harmed, the poor (who are predominantly minority?) will not be able to afford it and, therefore, to protect themselves.

In that case, let's increase the tax more and subsidized the poor people so they can afford their 200 rounds of ammo. We will need the agency to be bigger to verify those who should and should not get the subsidy. We will need extra people to verify the people who get their ammo and do not own guns do not sell to those already at their limit. or to anyone, really.

I guess we'd need a government agency that monitored how much ammo you have and you would have to demonstrate and file paperwork to show how much you use so you could buy more. Clearly, to pay for that, you'd need a higher tax on that very ammo. What about disparate results? Those who can afford it won't be harmed, the poor (who are predominantly minority?) will not be able to afford it and, therefore, to protect themselves.

In that case, let's increase the tax more and subsidized the poor people so they can afford their 200 rounds of ammo. We will need the agency to be bigger to verify those who should and should not get the subsidy. We will need extra people to verify the people who get their ammo and do not own guns do not sell to those already at their limit. or to anyone, really.

giphy.gif

I believe I have repaired the orientation issue on neighbor's grouping:

Grouping 3.jpg

Neighbor using this for grouping:

Neighbor's Walther PPQ M2.jpg

Good times.

Have you ever shot hunting rifle with a 'silencer' mounted? I have.
There's a reason the term is 'supressor', not 'silencer'. It does cut down on the noise, but please man, put down the james Bond movies.
The REAL reason for mounting a supressor is twofold: reduced recoil = more precise, and have you ever sat for 8 hours with earmuffs on? So either you suffer the chance of ruined hearing, or you sit cut off from the nature you enjoy being in.
As for stricter gun laws?
How strict do you want them?
Around here, you have no easy way (apart from the black market), to get small arms.
To be able to buy one, you must have been a member of a shooting club for no less than 2 years. The chairman of said club MUST vouch for you and your behavior when relating to the club.

And then. You can buy the hand gun. BUT it must be stored in the vault of the shooting club. You can NOT take this weapon home with you. You sign for it, when removing it from the vault, and it get signed in, when you're done.
After another 3 years of good behavior, and commitment to the shooting club, you may NOW bring your weapon home with you.
But it must be stored in an approved gun safe.

Hunting rifles are somewhat less of a hassle. Still must be stored in the approved safe. You must be approved by the police prior to purchase. Alle sales are registered.
But the again, hunting rifles are not prevalent in the shootings, are they?
Oh, and any semi-rifle, must be neutered. One in the chamber, one in the magazine. Magazine must be affixed in a manner, making it impossible to remov, without rendering the rifle inert.

With all these measure... Guess what. Yeah, shootings still happen.
Using small arms.
And the number of shootings are rising here.

Stop trying to use a technical solution to a sociological problem.