• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting image re gun ownership vs. frequency of homicides

Have you ever shot hunting rifle with a 'silencer' mounted? I have.
There's a reason the term is 'supressor', not 'silencer'. It does cut down on the noise, but please man, put down the james Bond movies.
The REAL reason for mounting a supressor is twofold: reduced recoil = more precise, and have you ever sat for 8 hours with earmuffs on? So either you suffer the chance of ruined hearing, or you sit cut off from the nature you enjoy being in.
As for stricter gun laws?
How strict do you want them?
Around here, you have no easy way (apart from the black market), to get small arms.
To be able to buy one, you must have been a member of a shooting club for no less than 2 years. The chairman of said club MUST vouch for you and your behavior when relating to the club.

And then. You can buy the hand gun. BUT it must be stored in the vault of the shooting club. You can NOT take this weapon home with you. You sign for it, when removing it from the vault, and it get signed in, when you're done.
After another 3 years of good behavior, and commitment to the shooting club, you may NOW bring your weapon home with you.
But it must be stored in an approved gun safe.

Hunting rifles are somewhat less of a hassle. Still must be stored in the approved safe. You must be approved by the police prior to purchase. Alle sales are registered.
But the again, hunting rifles are not prevalent in the shootings, are they?
Oh, and any semi-rifle, must be neutered. One in the chamber, one in the magazine. Magazine must be affixed in a manner, making it impossible to remov, without rendering the rifle inert.

With all these measure... Guess what. Yeah, shootings still happen.
Using small arms.
And the number of shootings are rising here.

Stop trying to use a technical solution to a sociological problem.

Where do you live?

I walked into a gun store, and walked out with my hand gun 45 minutes later. I walked into the Sheriff's office in downtown Pittsburgh, and walked out with my Conceal Carry Permit in 30 minutes.

Where do you live?

I walked into a gun store, and walked out with my hand gun 45 minutes later. I walked into the Sheriff's office in downtown Pittsburgh, and walked out with my Conceal Carry Permit in 30 minutes.

Yeah, nothing like that here in Denmark.
No such thing as CC, same goes for open. Thou shalt not carry. And yet, folks get shot here all the time. I iz sooo confuzzled.

Waited 45 days for the permit to pick up my last rifle (an old 6.5X55 Husqvarna). And that is on the fast side of getting your permit for a hunting rifle (I know of some that waited 4 months, and are still waiting).
Oh, and anything .50 or higher is no-go..... Says the thought police.
And like I said, no semi auto (or rather 1+1), and magazine must be welded to rifle.

On the up side, we just got surpressors released last year... And they are selling like hot cakes :)
So much better than muzzle brakes.

I am currently on 16 months waiting for my pistol permit here in the state of New York. This is just to have a pistol, no CCW, none of that. Last I checked they were still doing my background check. Keep in mind I have never been charged with a crime, much less convicted, and I have a secret security clearance for my work with the government. I had one speeding ticket 11 years ago. I paid it.

They told me it would take a minimum of 4 months, so I expected to wait a while, but damn. I provided them proof of all the weapons training I have been through, my experience with weapons in the military and my experience with weapons in my current job.

Apparently none of that matters. Best I can figure, they are at the cemetery in Beautiful Lookout trying to interview my dead grandmother to see if I **** my pants as a baby.

Are you all talking about "concealed carry permits" or just carry permits? GA has carry permits. You are free to conceal or open carry. Nobody open carries because they don't want to deal with the drama.

In NY, you need a permit to have a pistol. My guns are currently in NC until I get permitted. Then, I have to take them to licensed dealer in NC, to have them sent to a licensed dealer in NY to be inspected, and if all is good I can pick them up. Still waiting on that permit.

I couldn't live in NY. Even though my father was from there I could never live there. Where I live I can open carry or conceal carry. I'd never open carry because I don't want to draw attention to myself. I conceal all the time. But you still see people walking about with holstered weapons and it doesn't bother me at all.

Are you all talking about "concealed carry permits" or just carry permits? GA has carry permits. You are free to conceal or open carry. Nobody open carries because they don't want to deal with the drama.

PA is an open carry state. You need a permit to conceal carry. It is rare that I conceal carry, however, it can be valuable to have one regardless. If I have my gun in the car leaving the range, and one round is accidentally chambered, I can be in a world of legal **** without a CCW permit if I am pulled over and searched.

I was at an ATM machine once, and the guy next to me was open carrying. Kinda took me by surprise, but looking back, I realized that no one was going to try and rob him.

Sarge, get the hell out of that shithole state. It is becoming California East.

Where do you live?

Concealed carry in Arizona requires attendance at a class that takes pretty much the whole day.

Edit: Arizona, like a ton of other states, is open carry as a matter of right. But like Hamster is talking about, concealed is just easier.

Last edited:
Open Carry is just asking to be the first ****** shot if **** goes sideways.

Open Carry is just asking to be the first ****** shot if **** goes sideways.

But if most people open carry, **** is less likely to go sideways.,,,,,,,in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we have many imperfect places, typically run by Democrats.

But if most people open carry, **** is less likely to go sideways.,,,,,,,in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we have many imperfect places, typically run by Democrats.

More gun control. And ammo control. And knife control. And control of words, and thoughts.

If you think my post is simply mocking the left, check again. Leftists - here and abroad - are on a crusade to control all of the foregoing.

If you think my post is simply mocking the left, check again. Leftists - here and abroad - are on a crusade to control all of the foregoing.

Absolutely. And why I'll vote for a Donald Trump every single time over one of these lunatics.

Where do you live?

Our CCW class is, mostly, about learning the law and how not to **** up. I wish they would involve some actual shooting knowledge and skill (i know not required, but it would be nice) but it didn't.

With a CCW, in FL, you can take your gun after the background check. I've never had a background check take less than an hour. Once it took something like 4 hours.

No CCW, come back in 3 days to get your gun.

Our CCW class is, mostly, about learning the law and how not to **** up. I wish they would involve some actual shooting knowledge and skill (i know not required, but it would be nice) but it didn't.

With a CCW, in FL, you can take your gun after the background check. I've never had a background check take less than an hour. Once it took something like 4 hours.

No CCW, come back in 3 days to get your gun.

If you have a carry permit in GA, they don't need to do a background check when you buy a firearm. Pick it out, pay for it, and take it with you. Big benny of carry permits in GA. Even if you don't have one though, in-store background checks only take about an hour.

I walked into the Sheriff's office in downtown Pittsburgh, and walked out with my Conceal Carry Permit in 30 minutes.

In PA you get your CCW from the county sheriff's office. When I got my first one our sheriff at the time lived on my street and I was dating his daughter so it wasn't a problem. :thumb1:

In PA you get your CCW from the county sheriff's office. When I got my first one our sheriff at the time lived on my street and I was dating his daughter so it wasn't a problem. :thumb1:

Asking your girlfriend's Dad for permission to carry a gun. Obviously he liked and trusted you.

Ron Big Balls Burgundy.

They don't call him "The Undertaker" for nothing.

I reminded my daughter's boyfriend that I dispose of dead bodies for a living. They're getting married on Saturday.

If you have a carry permit in GA, they don't need to do a background check when you buy a firearm. Pick it out, pay for it, and take it with you.

Same in Arizona. Get the concealed carry permit, and no background check needed for further firearm purchases.

ark steel said:

Arizona very different. 8 hour class, required that those seeking permit bring their own gun and holster and prove knowledge of gun safety, gun use, and lots and lots of shooting as part of the class.

Lots. Of. Shooting.