• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Montravius Adams The Most Important, Yet Forgotten About Free Agent?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2022 NFL offseason is a unique one for the Pittsburgh Steelers, as they are in a position they usually don’t find themselves in. They actually have cap space! They currently sit at just over $27 million in cap space, and can easily get that number near $40 million with some potential cuts, extensions, or restructures.

With all of that cap space however, comes a lot of internal players with expiring contracts that are expected to hit free agency. That list includes Juju Smith-Schuster, Joe Haden, Ahkello Witherspoon, Terrell Edmunds, Ray-Ray McCloud, as well as several others. That is on top of needing to find a starting quarterback with the retirement of future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger.

One impending free agent that Steeler Nation appears to be not talking enough about is defensive lineman Montravius Adams.

Adams was signed off of the New Orleans Saints practice squad after week 11 by the Steelers, and he went on to play significant snaps in 5 of the final 6 regular season games, as well as the playoff loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Steelers defensive line was expected to be one of their strengths heading into the 2021 season. But after Stephon Tuitt not suiting up, and Tyson Alualu going down in week 2 with a season ending injury, the defensive line was struggling mightily outside of Cameron Heyward.

Once the Steelers signed Adams, that changed a bit. After Alualu’s injury and before the team acquired Adams, they allowed 5.3 yards per carry over that stretch. A mark like that is not going to usually lead to a winning recipe.

In the games Adams played in (minus the Minnesota Vikings game), the team only allowed 4.9 yards per carry on the ground. While it still isn’t a mark to hang your hat on, it is still a decent improvement with Adams on the team.

Adams just finished his 5th NFL season after being a 3rd round pick by the Green Bay Packers in the 2017 NFL Draft out of Auburn University. With the Steelers, he played just under 50% of the team’s defensive snaps, which is a career high as he never played more than 26% across an entire season previously.

Primarily playing nose tackle for the Steelers, he was able to fill the hole left by Alualu’s injury rather well, but he made it clear in an interview from early January on Steelers.com that he wasn’t just a nose tackle.

“I wouldn’t just say I’m a nose tackle… and it’s crazy because before I first got here, I’ve heard people like say, ‘dang, you’re a good nose.’. And I was like, I never even really played nose besides Auburn. But the way that they use me here, I understand it. And I feel like, I always felt like nose was an advantage, but I wasn’t just a nose tackle.”

That versatility is something that, if re-signed, would be very key for the Steelers during the 2022 season. Alualu has said he is returning for the 2022 season, and there has been some optimism around the team that Tuitt will be back as well. That would leave Adams potentially as a key rotational piece at both nose tackle and defensive end, which would help the team not have to prioritize the position in free agency or the draft unless they get a great deal.

Going into his 6th NFL season Adams would cost at least $1.035 million in 2022 as that is the veteran minimum for someone with his years of service. I would anticipate Adams to sign a 2 year deal worth between the veteran minimum number and $1.5 million annually. That would be a very affordable deal that the Steelers should offer to Adams without much thought based on his performance and versatility with the team.

Let us know what you think about Adams and whether or not you think the Steelers should re-sign him for 2022 and potentially beyond.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Adams is definitely a priority, just not the highest. You have to consider the guys who play a premium position to be the top priority, so from this year's crop it is either Haden or Witherspoon. Given his age and potential to contribute to the defense for the next 3-4 years, Witherspoon is the top priority. I also don't think his contract would be too out of line given the small sample size of quality play.

Right now, Adams is a nice depth piece and as pointed out in the article, the 4.9 YPC is still atrocious. The defensive line is aging and having quality depth is important as they may draft a guy who may take a couple of seasons to grow into the position.

I don't think he is forgotten Matt just when you are low on the totem pole you won't see as many discussions. Unless you are Steeler fans we talk about everyone! I personally would like Adams resigned for depth. Henry and Buggs can get on with their life's work.

Adams is definitely a priority, just not the highest. You have to consider the guys who play a premium position to be the top priority, so from this year's crop it is either Haden or Witherspoon. Given his age and potential to contribute to the defense for the next 3-4 years, Witherspoon is the top priority. I also don't think his contract would be too out of line given the small sample size of quality play.

Right now, Adams is a nice depth piece and as pointed out in the article, the 4.9 YPC is still atrocious. The defensive line is aging and having quality depth is important as they may draft a guy who may take a couple of seasons to grow into the position.
I think Edmunds too. A deep S free agent class might soften the priority of that signing. But they know how he fits.

I think Edmunds too. A deep S free agent class might soften the priority of that signing. But they know how he fits.
This is where I am with Edmunds. He's a safe option, should be affordable. You know exactly what you're getting from him. Maybe they find a safety at a comparable price with the potential of upgrading the position.

Adams would help add depth even with a healthy Alualu and Tuitt coming back. He was very serviceable when he played and does a good job commanding double teams at times. I think he is a good fit and could be resigned at a value deal.

Yeah im not sure he is forgotten by anyone but the writers… ive seen plenty of posters here post about him… and despite nobody posting or writing about killebrew or maulet, they were some of the Steelers first priorities …

Adams should be getting a 2 year offer like we just offered our other 2 guys. Keep them coming so we have good depth.