• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is this a playoff team?

It depends on the matchup. If they play a top QB and offense, they're more likely to give up 30+ points and lose in another blowout. The best matchup may be a round 3 against an AFCN opponent.

It depends on the matchup. If they play a top QB and offense, they're more likely to give up 30+ points and lose in another blowout. The best matchup may be a round 3 against an AFCN opponent.
Yep because the O for many reasons isn't good enough for shootouts and the corners outside of Peezy Jr. aren't good enough in coverage.

Unless the running game controlled the TOP, the secondary forces turnovers like New Orleans did that one season, and Kenny mirrored his fourth quarter in season success.

Odds are against that. But they were against wacko Flacco and other improbable outcomes. But that is why they play the game. Sometimes that underdog....dogs.

**** Barry Switzer won a SB. Sometimes the stars just align...

Last edited:
6-3 and I’m happy. But those are ugly wins against bad teams.

The rest of the schedule doesn’t get easier.

Can this team WIN a playoff game?

If they make the playoffs and get smoked again, what changes need to happen?

PS- I went to the Dallas game yesterday and those fans are even more axxholey then Philly fans.
Can we win a playoff game? Sure. If our D gets a few TO's and our Offense doesn't turn the ball over we have a small chance. Chances are though we get blown out against a Chiefs team 45 to 13.

we are the first team in 90 years to have a wining record after 9 games despite being outgained in every single game.

this offense is beyond bad and the defense gives up way to many big plays. I am grateful to be 6-3 and winning is all that counts but we just can not compete with those teams that can score. Miami, Kansas city, the Bills the list goes on hell the Texans hung 30 on us. we just can't put up enough points to hang with the big boys.

Ben said it on his podcast, if we get into a shootout we just can't compete. the most points we scored this year is 26 and our defense put up 14 of those points

I mean, to be fair… I am totally ignoring that in 2005 we used a passing game that was hilarious repressed in the regular season to tear through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl and in 2008 the offense that was a bottom half offense with glaring flaws suddenly was good enough to win another Super bowl…

So yeah.. things can dramatically change in the playoffs and my utter cynicism about their chances is definitely not anything but opinion from a dumbass fan lol

I think the steelers are a wildcard 6 or 7 seed team that will get curb stomped by seed 2 or 3.

When we played them earlier in the season there was a 3way battle for first place and we won both games.

ADD in that we are a better team now than we were then. It’s NOT just them who have improved.

Salute the nation

Hell yeah we are...

We are 6-3 versus teams with a combined record of 44-39...We only lost to 2 really good teams, the Niners & Jags & a rising young team. the Texans, with the ROY QB Stroud...

As I recall we had one of THE TOUGHEST schedules this year

This place is NEVER HAPPY :dontknow:
I hope Tomlin gets Coach of the Year just to piss you all off......:fencing:

Look, I know that occasionally teams that are 7-2 or 7-3 end up missing the playoffs.. it probably happens more frequently than one would expect, but I really think if we win this week, we have a ridiculously strong chance of making the playoffs… but if we lose then it would not surprise me if we ultimately end up missing the playoffs…
This game is really really important.. particularly for the division…

I think like most said just depends on matchups. We have a good chance against the Browns and it is a pretty important game for us. I think some teams would just destroy us in the playoffs while others we could compete with. Look at the Bills they are 5-5 and have scored 25 or less in 7/10 games and only put up 14 against the giants. People talk about stats and what not, Allen had a 72% completion percentage coming into the game which was #1 in the league, #1 in the league in passing TDs, but also #1 in Ints. Stats alone do not paint a good picture of what is going on w/ a team or player

The short answer - NO
The long answer - NO they are not

I honestly dont think they are. Steelers are due for a late-season collapse, and I think it's going to begin soon

I honestly dont think they are. Steelers are due for a late-season collapse, and I think it's going to begin soon
Ahh tge every other year we either collapse or rebound thing.. I forgot… lol we are actually due to break that mold… right? We cant always follow that trend… we are way more due to make the playoffs and lose pathetically in the first round, right? 🤣

Ahh the every other year we either collapse or rebound thing.. I forgot… lol we are actually due to break that mold… right? We cant always follow that trend… we are way more due to make the playoffs and lose pathetically in the first round, right? 🤣

Good question. Maybe. This team has been teetering on Ls for most of the season. Neither scenario would surprise me.

Now a playoff win would shock me, and I would love that outcome. Even if it seems far fetched.

If they make the playoffs, then by my calculations yes, they would be a playoff team.
Don't doubt me.
I calculated this in less than a second.

findx.jpg
But that triangle is 4-3. We're 6-3...

:P

Look, I know that occasionally teams that are 7-2 or 7-3 end up missing the playoffs.. it probably happens more frequently than one would expect, but I really think if we win this week, we have a ridiculously strong chance of making the playoffs… but if we lose then it would not surprise me if we ultimately end up missing the playoffs…
This game is really really important.. particularly for the division…

What is the record for make or not make the playoffs when sitting 11-0 ? Just curious and asking for a friend.

Salute the nation

Hell yeah we are...

We are 6-3 versus teams with a combined record of 44-39...We only lost to 2 really good teams, the Niners & Jags & a rising young team. the Texans, with the ROY QB Stroud...

As I recall we had one of THE TOUGHEST schedules this year

This place is NEVER HAPPY :dontknow:
I hope Tomlin gets Coach of the Year just to piss you all off......:fencing:
Here is my question. Do any of the teams that will most likely be in this in the end look remotely like this? Is this what you want moving forward and how exactly would that change. I agree that Tomlin will be up for COTY. The media loves him. He is also responsible for the offense looking the way it does.

I mean, to be fair… I am totally ignoring that in 2005 we used a passing game that was hilarious repressed in the regular season to tear through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl and in 2008 the offense that was a bottom half offense with glaring flaws suddenly was good enough to win another Super bowl…

So yeah.. things can dramatically change in the playoffs and my utter cynicism about their chances is definitely not anything but opinion from a dumbass fan lol
But that 2005 regular season passing game, while it was repressed, also led the entire league in YPA at 8.2 Better than Manning and the Colts at 8.1. So while they didn't pass much, when they did, it was incredibly efficient. Here in 2023, San Fran leads the NFL in YPA at 9.2, while today's Steelers, by contrast, are a full 3 yards behind at 6.2, ranking 26th. These teams are nothing alike.

Last edited:
At this point, being 6-3, they would have to implode to not make it. 500 the rest of the way and they are in. Their schedule isn't as easy as it has been made out to be. Of our remaining games, I am guessing we will be favored in 3 of the 8. Our division is the best in the NFL this year. I think they get in but I think they get spanked in their first game as they did the last 3 times they were in the playoffs. 20 points will not win many playoff games in this NFL.

P.S. They are by far the worst 6-3 team but that is what Tomlin teams do.
With all the teams in the div. improved, I could see us losing all 4 inner div. games coming up: Browns, Ravens and 2 to Cinci. I bet we will be underdogs in every game. That leaves u s with having to sweep NE, AZ, Indy to make it, and we could. Those are all bad teams. Oh, but @ Seattle. Could be a loss. 9-8 AND a WINNING season! Yea! What kind of trophy do we get? Shades should win COTY with that non-losing performance.

But that 2005 regular season passing game, while it was repressed, also led the entire league in YPA at 8.2 Better than Manning and the Colts at 8.1. So while they didn't pass much, when they did, it was incredibly efficient. Here in 2023, San Fran leads the NFL in YPA at 9.2, while today's Steelers, by contrast, are a full 3 yards behind at 6.2, ranking 26th. These teams are nothing alike.
I was just trying to talk myself into optimism 🤣