• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jesse James hit

ark steel

Reaction score
The hit that sent Jesse out of the game seemed like a clear helmet to helmet hit from behind that is almost always called. Seems like, if the receiver gets up, no flag. Receiver lays there, flag, regardless of whether it was a helmet to helmet hit.

Anyone have a screen grab/gif of that?

Thought he hurt his shoulder? How does that equate to a helmet to helmet hit? Maybe helmet to shoulder.

Thought he hurt his shoulder? How does that equate to a helmet to helmet hit? Maybe helmet to shoulder.

I don't know what got hurt. It seemed obvious, live, that the defender used hit helmet to hit the back of James' helmet. It may not have been so, hence the request for a screen grab or gif...

The hit that sent Jesse out of the game seemed like a clear helmet to helmet hit from behind that is almost always called. Seems like, if the receiver gets up, no flag. Receiver lays there, flag, regardless of whether it was a helmet to helmet hit.

Anyone have a screen grab/gif of that?

It was a severe H2H. No flag, no fine.

I think I only see one replay at the game but it seemed clean. He hurt his shoulder on the play.

Because the NFL requires the ref's to throw an atrilogical number of flags I though (due to the flag quota) it was helmet to helmet and wondered where's the flag. I watched the slow on and realized it looked pretty clean to me. We as fans have seen so many flags it seems like we are geared for a flag nearly every play. Oh how the NFL has sunk

Salute the nation

I don't know what got hurt. It seemed obvious, live, that the defender used hit helmet to hit the back of James' helmet. It may not have been so, hence the request for a screen grab or gif...

I'd like to see it also but he came back in and then left again and they said that when he went to the locker in the 1st half, he had his jersey and pads off. You don't do that for a head injury. That would be more for the shoulder.

I thought it was a high hit, not sure if it was a helmet to helmet hit though. The line on these things is beyond blurred.

Defenseless W4R maybe. I don't know anymore. Neither do the refs. On a different note. Did anyone else think a safety should have been called at the end of the half after the blocked FG? I personally don't know the rules but I am not 100% sure the refs do either.

Defenseless W4R maybe. I don't know anymore. Neither do the refs. On a different note. Did anyone else think a safety should have been called at the end of the half after the blocked FG? I personally don't know the rules but I am not 100% sure the refs do either.

My question was why did they get to still kick the FG after the false start penalty. The half cant end on a defensive penalty but it can for a offensive one.

My question was why did they get to still kick the FG after the false start penalty. The half cant end on a defensive penalty but it can for a offensive one.

They had one untimed down. Had the clock been moving prior to the down then the half would have been over. Still complicated but it explains why they got that FG attempt. Grimble should have blocked his man instead of just sticking his left arm out.

Because it was a pre snap penalty is what I heard, if it would've been a hold, chop block, etc during the play I think half is over.
As for a safety, no because Chicago gained possession of the ball, it's the same as if AB was about to score and someone stripped it and it went out of the end zone.
The problem was, 1. In the last two minutes only the ball carrier can recover a ball fumbled forward, I think or something like that. 2. You can't purposely bat the ball out of the end zone (I didn't know that). So after the ball was stripped the worse possible scenario happened, Berry just falls on it, it's our ball, but hard to fault him in the middle of that crazy play.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yes, because the penalty was a pre-snap penalty, the play never happened, back the ball up and the play goes from there. Yes the reason behind the rule is so that a defensive team cannot commit a blatant penalty to prevent a TD before the half. IE PI in the endzone, holding a receiver...etc just to get to half time or the end of the game.

2. You can't purposely bat the ball out of the end zone (I didn't know that).

Only reason I knew about the rule is I believe the same rule was called by the replacement refs in a non-Steelers game a few years ago in a game when a player intentionally batted a muffed snap out the back of the endzone. The ball would have gone out on his own, but the player helped it along at the back of the EZ.

Only reason I knew about the rule is I believe the same rule was called by the replacement refs in a non-Steelers game a few years ago in a game when a player intentionally batted a muffed snap out the back of the endzone. The ball would have gone out on his own, but the player helped it along at the back of the EZ.
Yeah on a blocked punt it's smart to bat it out because the other team never gained control so if the team punting falls on it it's a safety, if you bat it out I think it's still a safety.

Yes, because the penalty was a pre-snap penalty, the play never happened, back the ball up and the play goes from there. Yes the reason behind the rule is so that a defensive team cannot commit a blatant penalty to prevent a TD before the half. IE PI in the endzone, holding a receiver...etc just to get to half time or the end of the game.

Thanks guys..makes sense

Because it was a pre snap penalty is what I heard, if it would've been a hold, chop block, etc during the play I think half is over.
As for a safety, no because Chicago gained possession of the ball, it's the same as if AB was about to score and someone stripped it and it went out of the end zone.
The problem was, 1. In the last two minutes only the ball carrier can recover a ball fumbled forward, I think or something like that. 2. You can't purposely bat the ball out of the end zone (I didn't know that). So after the ball was stripped the worse possible scenario happened, Berry just falls on it, it's our ball, but hard to fault him in the middle of that crazy play.

Thanks makes sense

That was the last play of the half right? So once the ball was stripped the half should have been over. If Chi recovered in the EZ out wouldn't matter because time was up and you can't recover a forward fumble. Only way CHI could have got points after the strip happened.

That was the last play of the half right? So once the ball was stripped the half should have been over. If Chi recovered in the EZ out wouldn't matter because time was up and you can't recover a forward fumble. Only way CHI could have got points after the strip happened.

Because the bears were considered on offense at the time of the strip and the Steelers were thus defensive, once the strip occurred and Berry batted the ball out of the endzone it became a defensive penalty. A half cannot end on a defensive penalty, so the ball goes back to the spot of the strip, and take half the distance to the goal. Because there was a pre-snap penalty, the yardage is tacked on and the Bears get to run the play. The confusing aspect of the play, especially on a turnover, is establishing offensive vs. defensive possession. The crew got it right.

Looked like a clear H2H hit to me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It was a shoulder to shoulder hit. The defenders helmet was actually out in front of James. No helmet to helmet hit.