• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kevin Colbert Speaks On Devin Bush And Kendrick Green

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers current General Manager, Kevin Colbert, spoke today on multiple players and positions on the team. There were many questions with free agency and the NFL Draft looming. Two of the multiple players he touched on were Devin Bush and Kendrick Green.

Both Green and Bush received a lot of criticism for their play last season. Two young guys who the team and fans both are looking to be the long-term answer at their respective positions. In regards to Bush, Colbert had the following to say per ESPN’s Brooke Pryor:

Colbert says they haven’t decided if the Steelers are going to pick up Devin Bush’s fifth-year option.

But, he mentioned the ACL recovery impacting him in 2021.

“I think Devin Bush will be a better player in 2022.”

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) February 21, 2022

So the team is undecided on Bush’s fifth-year option, being a former first rounder, but believe he can be better. We certainly hope so. Bush was extremely underwhelming in 2021, posting just 70 tackles in 14 games played. This is not the type of production you wish to see out of your starting inside linebacker. This is down significantly from his 109 total line from his rookie year, his only fully healthy season in which he played all 16 games. He did not seem to have the speed he flashed in 2019 and 2020, not the burst and ferocity at point of attack. However, we all know he was coming back from a significant ACL injury from the 2020 season, and it seems Colbert and the team believe he can bounce back as stated before. He did seem to begin trending up towards the end of the season. The addition of new Senior Defensive Assistant and new linebacker coach Brian Flores is certainly a positive hire for Bush, who will be working closely with the newly hired Flores.

When talking about Green, Colbert mentioned a couple of things. He stated that Green really was injured to end the year and was not playing due to lack of effectiveness, not inefficient play:

Colbert: Kendrick did a lot of good things for us, and when he hurt the calf, he wasn’t benched for inefficient play. He was benched because he was hurt.

“We know that Kendrick can play guard. We know he can play center. Is it our best option? See where we go in the next 2 mo.”

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) February 21, 2022

Many fans speculated that Green actually was benched. However, it seems the team is still very confident in Green, and open to seeing which position will work better for him.

Green was drafted in the third round of the 2021 draft to be the team’s replacement for Maurkice Pouncey. Those were large shoes to fill, and he tried his best. Unfortunately, the conversion from guard to center seemed to be a challenge for him, as he was overmatched early and often throughout the season. The team seems to be confident, as they are with Bush, that next year will look different for the young lineman.

Both the team and the fans would love to see these players step up after disappointing seasons for both. Only time will tell, but if they put in the work, the results should show, and a team that made the playoffs this season could certainly improve going into the 2022 season.

What do you think about the outlook for these two players and Colbert’s comments today? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Thanks for the insight article Sean.

I think they are covering for GREEN to a degree. His taper off didn't just happen towards the end of the season, it happened from the start

Was it Housenhower (sp) they put in and his play was way above GREEN's regardless of what part of season you compare it to.

As for BUSH, Evaluate evaluate evaluate before that 5th year option is decided. Bring him in, interview interview interview. Hire a football private eye to follow and docuent his entire off season, NOT just workouts. Ball all the information up and make a decision.

Salute the nation

How much would the 5th year be anyone know? If it's big and he returns to form this season, don't you have other options like tags or is it 5th year option or nothing. I think there is something to be said for his knee and a lack of blocks being eaten up on front of him. However, he also seemed to find every block and get dragged for extra yards on way too many tackles.

The Steelers version of irresistible force and immovable object:

What if Kendrick Green were blocking Devin Bush?
I think Green wins that easily. Bush needs to run free to be effective if he gets tied up with any OLinemen he is done.

Meh a fully guaranteed almost 11 million dollar contract.... Thats an extremely hard call actually. he will be what? 24 this year... that prime breakout territory especially with a new DC and LB coach... they have till may 2nd to make the call... they better get a good feel in April where he is at. 11 mill shouldn't get flushed down the commode if he sucks again, but its also cheaper then what he'd get on the open market if he has a great season...

I agree, Green at least tries, he just isn't very good. Bush appears to avoid contact while on the field.
Hoping Flores gives him a short leash to turn that around. As that kind of play besides being painful to watch... should be looked at as the grace period of recovery being over.

Hoping Flores gives him a short leash to turn that around. As that kind of play besides being painful to watch... should be looked at as the grace period of recovery being over.
At this point the biggest reason for Devin Bush's success will be Bush himself. He going to have to work for it, both physically and mentally. Shazier talked about Bush putting more time in the film room, but also physically rehabbing himself to regain the athleticism that made him a top-10 pick. I feel confident the coaches will put him in position to succeed and teach him the proper techniques, he's gotta want it though.

At this point the biggest reason for Devin Bush's success will be Bush himself. He going to have to work for it, both physically and mentally. Shazier talked about Bush putting more time in the film room, but also physically rehabbing himself to regain the athleticism that made him a top-10 pick. I feel confident the coaches will put him in position to succeed and teach him the proper techniques, he's gotta want it though.
True. That want didn't look there last year. Let's see what a new season brings

Thanks for the insight article Sean.

I think they are covering for GREEN to a degree. His taper off didn't just happen towards the end of the season, it happened from the start

Was it Housenhower (sp) they put in and his play was way above GREEN's regardless of what part of season you compare it to.

As for BUSH, Evaluate evaluate evaluate before that 5th year option is decided. Bring him in, interview interview interview. Hire a football private eye to follow and docuent his entire off season, NOT just workouts. Ball all the information up and make a decision.

Salute the nation
If his offseason training plan is dribble his pugs in his backyard basket then we know...

Sad but Bush never got over the injury, his play this year was next to nonexistent. Move on let not have another Artie Burns.

I mean I totally could care less what KC thinks about those 2...he won't be around to deal with it negatively or positively . I guess I get him being around for the draft but even that seems odd to me...U leaving...leave at the start of the league year.

KC drafted these two midget bums don't care what he tries to rationalize.