• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Options at Center

Disagree - AB was a sixth rounder, who is probably the best WR in the history of the team. I'm confident they can find hidden gems at WR. Now---if there's a gift horse sitting there at in the second round, i.e. Keon Coleman. Jump on it!!!
You don't steer away from a BPA because your team has a good WR drafting history. Plus they need two so waiting a longer time limits your odds of success. As plenty of Steeler WRs didn't pan out for one reason or another.

I do like the idea of KC in the 2nd..

If you mention anything as the biggest need you have to include WR IMO.

I know fans are enamored with building up the O-line and rightfully so. But the team has no second or third WR option. Both which usually get more playing time than a backup T. That is a big need as of right now...
I'll see your WR and propose this...

Quez and Van are good enough to play WR3 - I wouldn't throw them out w/ the bath water. We do, however, need a defined WR2 and the Steelers track record at finding WRs is better than average, all things considered.

If you don't have time to throw the ball - why overlook the OL??? This is a heavy draft for WRs and I'll throw an SEC dark horse name that we should consider:

Ricky Pearsall, WR, FL

This is a kid who has a wide catch radius and can get open both on the outside and in the slot. A very nice compliment to George, IMO...

Quez and Van are good enough to play WR3 - I wouldn't throw them out w/ the bath water. We do, however, need a defined WR2 and the Steelers track record at finding WRs is better than average, all things considered.

If you don't have time to throw the ball - why overlook the OL??? This is a heavy draft for WRs and I'll throw an SEC dark horse name that we should consider:

Ricky Pearsall, WR, FL

This is a kid who has a wide catch radius and can get open both on the outside and in the slot. A very nice compliment to George, IMO...
Quez and Van are coming off minimal production not sure how much stock I have in them being a third option. More comfy with them for the fourth and fifth spot or sixth. They shouldn't overlook any O-ine possible but shouldn't reach either. All things created equal perhaps that is their 1 and 2 approach.

Definitely like Ricky I like this class in general. If you gave me a WR in 3 and 4 or 3 and 6 I would be fine with it...

If you mention anything as the biggest need you have to include WR IMO.

I know fans are enamored with building up the O-line and rightfully so. But the team has no second or third WR option. Both which usually get more playing time than a backup T. That is a big need as of right now...
We are a George Pickens injury away from Watkins, Jefferson, and Austin starting. That is a brutal lineup.

IMO, WR2 may already be on the roster and being overlooked. and i'm not infatuated with Denzel Mims, either.
However, he has skill. If we can hone those the way we have WRs over the years, then we may have found our WR2 for cheap.
6'3", 207 and a 4.3 40 is very nice to complement Pickens

as for Center... i'm of the mindset that if Barton is there at 20, he'll be our pick. He's capable of playing any position on the OL and we know how hard Tomlin gets for that. In taking Barton, then we've allowed ourselves to slot him at C and address WR or any other BPA in the 2nd. If that BPA in the second is Frazier, then we take him and slide Barton to RT, moving Jones to LT. That's the ideal scenario for the line, since our OL would then be addressed and corrected moving forward.

However, don't be surprised if we take a WR in the first, and try to get a C/OT in the 2nd.

and i don't believe we'll trade out of the first, since it's contractually unwise to do so.

There must be 40 WR's in this draft, and while the majority maybe just a guy, I have faith the brain trust will find a gem somewhere in the middle.
As Berm pointed out, it won't matter what WR they pick up if Wilson or Fields are on their back.

My son just sent me a text with "Adam Schefter" saying we traded a 2025 first and this years third to the Vikings for Justin Jefferson. I forgot it's April 1st, that prick.
You fell for it?'cmon man! 😂😉

IMO, WR2 may already be on the roster and being overlooked. and i'm not infatuated with Denzel Mims, either.
However, he has skill. If we can hone those the way we have WRs over the years, then we may have found our WR2 for cheap.

as for Center... i'm of the mindset that if Barton is there at 20, he'll be our pick. He's capable of playing any position on the OL and we know how hard Tomlin gets for that. In taking Barton, then we've allowed ourselves to slot him at C and address WR or any other BPA in the 2nd. If that BPA in the second is Frazier, then we take him and slide Barton to RT, moving Jones to LT. That's the ideal scenario for the line, since our OL would then be addressed and corrected moving forward.

However, don't be surprised if we take a WR in the first, and try to get a C/OT in the 2nd.

and i don't believe we'll trade out of the first, since it's contractually unwise to do so.
  • 2020: Played in the final six games with five starts at center due to injuries on the line.
  • 2021: Started all 12 games at LT.
  • 2022: First-team All-ACC. Started all 13 games at LT.
  • 2023: First-team All-ACC. Started nine games at LT. Missed four games, including the team's Birmingham Bowl win over Troy, with a lower-body injury.
Above is Barton’s college career.

I kind of agree with what you’re saying. But. If Frazier isn’t there or we don’t draft him,obviously that would mean we are sticking in Barton at C.
Does it not concern you that Barton only played 5 games his whole college career as C ? And only because of injuries? In 2020? A whole 5 starts. None since?
Have we not played this game before?
Nothing against Barton here. And it’s all a crapshoot. He may turn out as the #1 C in the draft.

But for what it’s worth. I want to draft a Center that actually played Center throughout his college career. No more mickey Mouse Bull-****.

Also…..if we are assuming Jones wants his natural position of LT next year……And Barton played LT throughout his college career,why cant we draft a RT? A guy that’s played RT throughout his college career. I mean correct me if I’m wrong all the ex tackles on here. Isn’t the whole footwork,weight distribution,hand technique,angles,etc different when you switch sides all of a sudden? I’m not saying you can’t learn. But these are the high premium draft choices. Experiment in the 5th plus round.

• 2020: Played in the final six games with five starts at center due to injuries on the line.
  • 2023: First-team All-ACC. Started nine games at LT. Missed four games, including the team's Birmingham Bowl win over Troy, with a lower-body injury.

I kind of agree with what you’re saying. But. If Frazier isn’t there or we don’t draft him,obviously that would mean we are sticking in Barton at C.
Does it not concern you that Barton only played 5 games his whole college career as C ? And only because of injuries? In 2020? A whole 5 starts. None since?
Nothing against Barton here. And it’s all a crapshoot. He may turn out as the #1 C in the draft.

But for what it’s worth. I want to draft a Center that actually played Center throughout his college career. No more mickey Mouse Bull-****.

Also…..if we are assuming Jones wants his natural position of LT next year……And Barton played LT throughout his college career,why cant we draft a RT? A guy that’s played RT throughout his college career. I mean correct me if I’m wrong all the ex tackles on here. Isn’t the whole footwork,weight distribution,hand technique,angles,etc different when you switch sides all of a sudden? I’m not saying you can’t learn. But these are the high premium draft choices. Experiment in the 5th plus round.
oh, believe me - i'm all for JPJ at 20.
but if we're given a considerable trade package to move back and JPJ is gone when we get to pick... i'm not reaching for a guy when there's someone else who might turn out to be better. granted, as you said, its all a crap shoot, but i just see Barton as giving us more flexibility when it comes time to draft after the first.

I really hoped Mims would get a good look at the end of last year...
that dude had absolutely no QB play in NY, then he gets traded to the Lions and absolutely tore up their training camp early...well until he got injured...

he rushed back, got hurt worse.... and the Lions decided some of the other young guys had shown enough not to keep him on the roster when he was going to miss over half the season and get their draft pick back and probably lose another player they have to cut to keep him

For however accurate the mocks are, most have the first centers going in the early second round. Washington and Carolina both have two early second round picks if the Steelers are looking for potential trade down partners.
The Mocks are off, JPJ will be gone before the end of round #1.

Need an RT that can be stable for 5-8 years, and with Smith's heavy run emphasis, I would rather get an established RT rather than gamble till the 3rd, we need someone like Gilbert big powerful RT who is a big force in the run game and can hold the edge down as well.

Possible draft adjustment, and the way things are going with teams behind us that need a day 1 starter I easily;y see someone trading up, so If the next best C is Frazier than despite BPA vs need you cant gamble that later on you can find a day 1 starter only other guy I see after Powers is Barton swiss army knife T, C, G than Frazier the n Van prann

Doing something like this is very safe
20 RT Mims you have corner bulldogs who have played on title teams and have experience in good locker rooms
51C Frazier
84 ILB Trottier JR
98 WR Wilson 6"7 could give the Ward and Burress combo Ward 6 possession and Wilson possession target
121 DT Taylor U
136 CB King Penn ST Diamond in the rough very physical
195 QB Jordan Travis's potential bargaining chip try developing and either groom to be 2 or sell
207 P Taylor Monster leg superb competition and if drafted I see the winner

If u can get a good WR at 51 than at 84 take Van Prann

Ricky Pearsall, WR, FL

Sorry, I didn’t look him up…… do you have physical size / specs on this guy?

EDIT: 6ft 1inch tall /190 lbs / . Looks decent size as I wasn’t looking for a Smurf type WR. (Thanks berm)

Salute the nation

We are a George Pickens injury away from Watkins, Jefferson, and Austin starting. That is a brutal lineup.

You’re right you know.

Austin is the one I don’t think we have the best read on even with his length of time on the team. Part of me says he’s to Smurfie and another part of me says he has played in O’Canada ball situations. I think our new OC will define these players much better than what definitions we’ve had in the past.

Definitely need a WR in the draft, it’s a deep enough draft that we should be able to land a decent one at that.

Salute the nation

What if i told you... (morpheous voice) That the steelers have daniels who played center extensively in college and play to use herbig at guard, so they arent as worried about center as you are......?

Need an RT that can be stable for 5-8 years, and with Smith's heavy run emphasis, I would rather get an established RT rather than gamble till the 3rd, we need someone like Gilbert big powerful RT who is a big force in the run game and can hold the edge down as well.

Possible draft adjustment, and the way things are going with teams behind us that need a day 1 starter I easily;y see someone trading up, so If the next best C is Frazier than despite BPA vs need you cant gamble that later on you can find a day 1 starter only other guy I see after Powers is Barton swiss army knife T, C, G than Frazier the n Van prann

Doing something like this is very safe
20 RT Mims you have corner bulldogs who have played on title teams and have experience in good locker rooms
51C Frazier
84 ILB Trottier JR
98 WR Wilson 6"7 could give the Ward and Burress combo Ward 6 possession and Wilson possession target
121 DT Taylor U
136 CB King Penn ST Diamond in the rough very physical
195 QB Jordan Travis's potential bargaining chip try developing and either groom to be 2 or sell
207 P Taylor Monster leg superb competition and if drafted I see the winner

If u can get a good WR at 51 than at 84 take Van Prann
I don't think they will draft a punter after long term signing another. We already have one tall arse TE experiment not sure of making a WR version of that. King struggled this past season which concerns me even if he slides.

Just a few notes on what came to mind seeing your mock. 😉

What if i told you... (Morpheus voice) That the Steelers have Daniels who played center extensively in college and play to use Herbig at guard, so they aren't as worried about center as you are......?
I would say Herbig didn't play that well last season to bring about that long term confidence. I would say Daniels looks pretty comfy at G and by moving him that could create two problems over just fulfilling the needs of one.

I would say I have seen this team play players out of their positional comfort zone resulting in less than desirable results.

They have seen a **** load of C prospects to me it looks they are worried about C but want to try to draft an upgrade.

This is just of course is my viewpoint which once and a blue moon is incorrect.😁

I’m in this boat, I tired of ****-ing projects.

Salute the nation

oh, believe me - i'm all for JPJ at 20.
but if we're given a considerable trade package to move back and JPJ is gone when we get to pick... i'm not reaching for a guy when there's someone else who might turn out to be better. granted, as you said, its all a crap shoot, but i just see Barton as giving us more flexibility when it comes time to draft after the first.
The site we can't link just did a write up on Barton saying his RAS at C would be a perfect 10. Mentioned he had more playing time than Green and is a bigger version who tested out better.

I think the guy has a better chance to succeed than Green did at the position. I still wonder if the Steelers are good enough at converting these kind of players. But looking closely we definitely can't deny the guys athleticism.

I thought about these scenarios over the weekend as well.

IMO, OT and C are the biggest needs. Knowing what we know - OT holds a higher value over C - so...after much thought and consideration I believe the highest value pick would be to take an OT (there are 4 blue-chippers: Guyton (OK), Mims (GA), Latham (Bama), and Suamataia (BYU). IF none of these guys have been selected by the time we are up at 1.20 - I think the pick is OT.

If, by chance all OTs are gone - then I think the focus will shift to C. We all know the names - Power-Johnson is the frontrunner. But, if he's gone there are other options that could be targeted later in the draft all the way down to Tanor Bortolini (Wisconson), presumably, a late Day 2 early Day 3 pick.

So, there you have it - Berm's analysis of the situation. I prefer to build my OL from inside out but we have some pieces in place that allow us to invert that idea...
I say take Frazier from WVU. Dude is a team first player. He got himself off the field with no clock runoff after breaking his leg during last drive of Baylor game. He is the classic Steelers Tough image.