• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

LeBeau looks for Shazier and Tuitt to play/possibly start early

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
"We're getting quality players and quality depth,'' Both of these players, if all develops as anticipated, will get a whole lot of playing time. Sometimes, in the past, we've been in a position where our draft choices don't necessarily have to play for a year or so. But that's not the case in this situation.

Our depth is challenged, and we've got two excellent football players who are going to add depth if not become quality starters right away..."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/5/9/5701810/steelers-draft-second-round-stephon-tuitt-notre-dame

Hopefully he's not just giving lip service to this idea and won't fall back on "they have to sit and learn by watching".

Also, looks like CB for whatever reason might not have been high on their assessment of needs.

"I think there are still some good cornerbacks out there, but I feel good about the corners that we have,'' LeBeau said. "(And) we have more numbers there than some people realize, and we might have some great players already on our roster. But they just haven't had a chance to show us that they're great.''

(Same article/Same link)

Yeah, the problem is it takes 2-3 yrs for players to learn or not learn the LeBeau defense. That needs to change.

The issue may have been the safety spot last year and not corner. Clark slowed down alot.

After Ike and Cortez, our corners are as small as our WRs. Would be nice to see them pick up at least one developmental prospect in the next two rounds. Ike is getting a lil long in the tooth.

After Ike and Cortez, our corners are as small as our WRs. Would be nice to see them pick up at least one developmental prospect in the next two rounds. Ike is getting a lil long in the tooth.
Ike is done.

Seems to me we won 2 SBs without great corners.

We're improving the front 7 because that's what got us to the dance. Stout run defense and pressure, not great down field coverage.

We're improving the front 7 because that's what got us to the dance. Stout run defense and pressure, not great down field coverage.
Is that a joke? You are comparing our current corners/secondary to those? What is also missing is a dominant NT, and any kind of pressure. We are not even close to those teams - on either side of the ball.

Is that a joke? You are comparing our current corners/secondary to those? What is also missing is a dominant NT, and any kind of pressure. We are not even close to those teams - on either side of the ball.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to claim Cortez Allen over Bryant McFadden. Younger Ike being better is a given.

Yep. Corner is not a premium position in a defense that sits 12 yards off the ball and doesn't challenge the ball in the air. We live and die by the pass rush and Troy, not CB play. Hence, we haven't taken a CB before the 3rd since 2004. Yet we've found good scheme-specific guys like Lewis and Allen in the 3rd and beyond.

The units aren't comparable in my opinion.

Feisty little fella ... but, you actually win more arguments by conceding valid points i.e. younger Ike WAS better than older Ike, and it is most definitely a wash between McFadden and Allen; although Allen flashes more takeaway skills than McFadden ever did.

Yep. Corner is not a premium position in a defense that sits 12 yards off the ball and doesn't challenge the ball in the air. We live and die by the pass rush and Troy, not CB play. Hence, we haven't taken a CB before the 3rd since 2004. Yet we've found good scheme-specific guys like Lewis and Allen in the 3rd and beyond.

This is why I wasnt sure why everyone was clamoring for a 1st round CB. Its not like our CB's are required to lock down a man. We need 'system' type CB's, and they've done alrught finding them in the latter rounds.

I agree with you. Its about the front 7 for us.

This is why I wasnt sure why everyone was clamoring for a 1st round CB. Its not like our CB's are required to lock down a man. We need 'system' type CB's, and they've done alrught finding them in the latter rounds.

I agree with you. Its about the front 7 for us.

This...

I'm kinda of seeing the strategy in revamping the defense - pressure and speed up front - okie doke DB's in the back to pick off passes if thrown...

Feisty little fella ... but, you actually win more arguments by conceding valid points i.e. younger Ike WAS better than older Ike, and it is most definitely a wash between McFadden and Allen; although Allen flashes more takeaway skills than McFadden ever did.
Hey thanks for the rhetoric advice. Especially about ceding the obvious. People who call you a stupid **** should really look deeper.

Hey thanks for the rhetoric advice. Especially about ceding the obvious. People who call you a stupid **** should really look deeper.

LOL ... A comedian too. I can't wait for your next "insightful" post; as it will be your first.

"Our depth is challenged"

So we go and get a pip squeak special teams player that will get broken in half and fumble 3 times if he gets 100 touches. How does Archer help our depth?

Again... no consistency with philosophies in the building. I swear Colbert, Tomlin, Lebeau and Haley all pick a piece of paper out of a hat and that tells them which pick is theirs. Tomlin got round 1, Lebeau got round 2, Haley got round 3. Colbert of course just cheers for anyone's pick since he does **** with the draft.

This front 7 is not stout against the run and sucks at rushing the passer. But they will be real good at chasing down guys after the catch

I think he means it. What choice do they have? We don't have much on the roster at those positions..

This...

I'm kinda of seeing the strategy in revamping the defense - pressure and speed up front - okie doke DB's in the back to pick off passes if thrown...

I'm all for PICKING off passes, i'm just hoping ours do it a lot more often, than in the past!!!!

Salute the nation

I always thought LeBeau got a bad rap. Exactly what great player sat on the bench that was better than the guy in front of him? Woodley played behind Haggans for awhile but he played in 13 games his first year and had 2 sacks against Jax in the playoffs. So who exactly are these great players being sat down by Lebeau?

both these guys HAVE to start for this defense to have any chance at getting better

they fill in immediate holes, not that there's anything wrong with that

Considering what he is replacing, shazier might start day 1.