• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Draft Grade After 2 Days; How Would You Grade Them?

Pickett C+
Pickens B+
Leal B
Austin C+
Heyward F
Robinson C+
Oladokun F-

Last edited:
Stewey I just don’t think anyone can seriously give a grade on any player before they hit the field. Based on what these guys did in college sure you can but I have no idea how that translates to the NFL.
I agree 100% Steelh. No one can seriously give a player a grade now. This thread has evolved into that it appears.
It’s always been about grading the team .
Its really just a guessing game. Whether your or my guess was the correct one will be determined down in the road.
Steelers get an A!

Will Pickets nickname be Pick6? Time will tell.

B.
Not seeing any help on the OL.

Pickett C+
Pickens B+
Leal B
Austin C+
Heyward F
Robinson C+
Oladokun F

Draft grade D

I graded the draft last week.

"Wuuuuht? The draft had not taken place."

So what? If we grade a draft before the players have taken a single snap, why not grade it before it happens??

I didn't want a QB in round 1 but the way the draft fell, it was obvious and Pickett was the Steelers pick the entire time so I'm good with it. The first 4 picks, I'd give a B. We addressed some needs and actually got some interesting and good picks. After that, not so much. Heyward in the 6th was a reach. Another QB in the 7th was a waste of a pick when we have so many needs. Not that 7th rounders typically do much but, they could have just brought in a FA for our 4th camp body. Overall, I'd give them a C.

Pickett will hopefully be our franchise QB. Pickens and Austin have a ton of potential. Leal looks good as well. Hopefully, all 4 will be starters in the future. Unless they start Pickett, we may only get significant contributions this year from any of our top 4 picks. Heyward should make the team as a special teamer anyhow as well.

Pickett- Best QB in an iffy crop. Didn't have to trade up to get him. Has a high ceiling but doesn't come without question marks. Did the light come on late or did he max out?

B

Pickens - an injury concern with A+ skillset

B

Leal - Starter potential but sort of a tweaner

C+

But that’s no fair, and no fun! Everyone will give the same grade in two years for heavens sake!
These grades are for the here and now.
The point in giving grades now is a way for you to state your opinion on now how well you think a team filled their needs with the talent available.
You’ll find out in two or so years, maybe even sooner if you gave the right grade👍

Or if you are Coach.................

Salute the nation

B.
Not seeing any help on the OL.

Ron, that was my biggest fear, NO HELP @ OT.

I thought for sure with them signing Edmonds back that would open up a pick for OT but my fears have been realized.

I just hope our starting QB's fears are less.

Salute the nation

I thought for sure with them signing Edmonds back that would open up a pick for OT but my fears have been realized.

Remember last year the OL coach left before the season was over and they let him.

Salute the nation
That's the good thing about having 4 QBs, you have up to 4 games average to get your QB killed before it's next man up time

Will Pickets nickname be Pick6? Time will tell.
Hope we never hear this from an announcer ..”Pickett fires to Pickens, and it’s Picked off for a Pick6!!

That is hardly out of the realm of possibility when you think about it .

Pickett scares the hell out of me. I just don't see the path where he is ever more than just pretty good. Tomlin said they drafted him because he had the highest floor. Sounds like living in your fears when you are going for the safe pick rather than the most talented. Pickett will probably look great early when judged as a new starter. The problem will be that 3 years later he'll look about the same and the steelers will waste 5 years hoping he's Tom Brady when he'll only ever be Andy Dalton.

I don't see taking Pickett over the more talented prospects on the board. There was a report the steelers tried to trade up with the Texans to 15 to draft Pickett. This is VERY concerning, IE stupid. First, they misjudged the value and second, they gave up on it. I mean if you are that sure that Pickett is your guy and you just had to have him so you want to trade up then trade up. It's like they made 1 call and then were OK to wait and see if Pickett made it past the Saints. This is horrible draft management.

George Pickens - good pick. WR was a desperate need because DJ may be too expensive to keep and Claypool hasn't proven reliable. With Brisker off the board, WR was the pick. The only choice was big man Pickens or the shifty Skyy Moore. I think either pick would have worked. Both were needs.

Demarvin Leal - is Tuitt playing? If Tuitt is coming back then this pick sucks. Leal is a project as a 3-4 DE. Most are for that position but you usually start with a guy who already has the size. Leal will have to bulk up. If Tuitt is not coming back then this pick is a bit better because it makes DE a much bigger need. Still a bit of a project.

Calvin Austin - I like the pick. I like that they drafted 2 WRs. So many teams stocked up at WR as a reaction to the crazy WR salaries. You saw the Titans choose to trade AJ Brown and go with a rookie just to save money. Steelers may have to do the same with Dionte next year. Austin is small but that's OK so long as you have other big WRs to pair with him. Ray Ray McCloud got plenty of use despite not being very good. Austin should be able to play immediately and contribute.

Connor Heyward - this pick makes no sense at all. Is he a RB, FB, or TE? He's small for TE. Is he an upgrade to Snell as a RB? Is he a better FB than Watt? Do they even use a FB? There were still good players on the board at higher need positions.

Mark Robinson - WTF? I guess this means that Buddy Johnson sucks. Didn't they trade up to draft Buddy last year? Robinson is a converted RB. They drafted a practice squad player.

Chris Oladakun - Are you kidding? Rasheed Walker was still on the board. Should we take a potential starting LT with prototype size or a 4th QB? Hmmm tough choice.

What does this say about Pickett? If you are sold on him, why do you need to draft another developmental QB, especially when you have vets like Turbisky and Rudolph? Trubisky and Pickett need all the reps they can get. When is Oladakun going to play? Maybe they cut or trade Rudolph, but still, why did you have to draft this guy at all?

I like the WR picks and nothing else. Aside from the WRs, i feel like the steelers drafted a backup QB in rd 1, a project DE in Rd 3 and then practice squad guys.

Mark Robinson - WTF? I guess this means that Buddy Johnson sucks. Didn't they trade up to draft Buddy last year? Robinson is a converted RB. They drafted a practice squad player.

Chris Oladakun - Are you kidding? Rasheed Walker was still on the board. Should we take a potential starting LT with prototype size or a 4th QB? Hmmm tough choice.

What does this say about Pickett? If you are sold on him, why do you need to draft another developmental QB, especially when you have vets like Turbisky and Rudolph? Trubisky and Pickett need all the reps they can get. When is Oladakun going to play? Maybe they cut or trade Rudolph, but still, why did you have to draft this guy at all?
The Steelers did not trade for Buddy Johnson, but they did overdraft him and should've taken Trey Smith instead.

The Oladakun selection says absolutely nothing about Kenny Pickett.

I'm guessing they plan on trading Rudolph.