• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Less than a month to the trade deadline…

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look, we still have a chance to turn things around, for sure… but we have 4 games before that November 1st deadline …and at 1-3 it will be very easy to be totally out of the playoff picture by then

If that is the case, then this team needs to look at pulling the Hockey team move of dealing all moveable assets for picks… here are some potential pieces:

1 either or both backup QBs… dealing Mitch saves comp pick collateral and moving him instead of cutting him may save cap space depending upon how the deal goes… dealing Mason makes sense because he is a ufa after the season … moving both seems very unlikely, but there are low end backup QBs available for a team in the gutter not looking for a guy to carry them to wins like Garrett and Glennon still out there, plus you can always nab a guy off of a practice squad… if you aren’t looking for immediate results that is…

2. A defensive lineman… alualu looks cooked, but Larry Ogunjobi, who is a free agent signing as well as a ufa after the season, and Chris Wormley both have value… we have young guys who need the playing time behind them and plenty of options on the practice squad or on other practice squads that spent time with us in the preseason. Id rather take the sixth-ish rounder that these guys would bring back and get the young blood more experience

3. One of the Kick returners… Gunner Olszewski is the best candidate , but we dont need three on the team…gunner as a former pro bowler has actual value, though very little, and is under contract next year… he also counts toward the comp pick equation while trading him off the roster for a seventh erases that…

4. Cam Sutton… I like Cam… but he is a IFA after the season who we could get an asset for then still bring back if we wanted… it would save like 2 million bucks

5. Devon Bush… he has been meh all season, but not horrible… and someone might throw us a low rounder to try to get more out of him
The key here is it gets Robinson playing time

6. Miles Boykin… yeah I know what you are saying.. lets move Claypool or DJ or both… but that isn’t realistic for this team… they do have too many wrs… and the key to Boykin is trading him saves a bit over a million bucks and as our best special teams gunner he will have low end interest… like comp pick seventh in 2024 interest, but still you save cap and get something back… plus the more special teams are exposed the closer we get to a staff overhaul…

There are sexier trades we could make… dealing Heyward to a contender, or moving a top Wr, but I don’t see that happening… there are also guys we could bring in in a desperate attempt to salvage the season, but again I would get assets not send them out right now… our issues are probably more staff than talent so you don’t need to blow up the roster completely… but hanging on to UFAs is just silly if you are out of it

Not trading a CB or Ogun away. No way am I interested in seeing teams run all over the Steelers like last year. No corner is going to play as well as Sutton minus Witherspoon and Levi. Boykin I don't see gathering any interest. For how much some want Bush gone what behind him is even weaker. Yeah that bad. Gunner might get something I could live with that. Ok with Mitch hitting the door at this point.

I’m ok with Mitch going as well. Maybe a fourth round pick and Mason as the backup.
Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Mitch asks for a trade knowing this is Kenny’s team now.

This team as constructed cannot compete with well anyone. An underachieving, seemingly overpaid defense, an offense with no identity, and high priced "splash players" all over the field has not been a recipe for success for a very long time. Omar Khan is in his first gig as GM. Can he convince ownership after just 4 games that he has a plan to right the ship, and what does that entail? Too many questions Mad.

Do note that I'm ignoring the 400 lb. gorilla for the most part. I know you're being specific with key individuals but at this point, do you see anything that can be done in such short time to be competitive? Of those you mention and others adding to, I cannot look around the nfl and point to an available athlete to change our course. What's worse, I can't see trades being put into a position for their personal success or ours. We're just not good in any phase.

I'd deal Rudolph, Bush, and Cam Heyward to give him a chance at a ring. Gunner can go as can Claypool, I'd go a little out there and deal Najee while I was at it. Yes his money is prohibitive, but maybe someone will pay.

I know this will NEVER happen but what about trading our HC ? Has that ever been done and if so what was the trade for?

I'd take 2- 1st & 2- 2nd, 1- 3rd, 2- 5th & 2- players to be named, and hopefully from a projected bottom 5 team. Kind of like the Hershel walker trade......... but our HC.

Salute the nation

Someone needs to let our Coooch know that the trade deadline is approaching, not that it will help but just to be a good samaritain.

Salute the nation

I know this will NEVER happen but what about trading our HC ? Has that ever been done and if so what was the trade for?

I'd take 2- 1st & 2- 2nd, 1- 3rd, 2- 5th & 2- players to be named, and hopefully from a projected bottom 5 team. Kind of like the Hershel walker trade......... but our HC.

Salute the nation
I am going to paint this with a broad brush, I'd take whatever component of what we could get for him obviously. May he bask in the standard of the substandard elsewhere.

I am going to paint this with a broad brush, I'd take whatever component of what we could get for him obviously. May he bask in the standard of the substandard elsewhere.

I only asked for a lot due to most thinking he is the coming of JESUS in the coaching NFL world.

I'm like you and would consider much less, obviously there are more components in the making of POPcorn and cutting off eye lids. I was thinking, like poudding, that once I let out my desire, it couldn't be put back.

Salute the nation

You can absolutely deal a coach..

Salute the nation
there have been a bunch of high profile coaches traded before… the last I remember was Gruden from the Raiders to the Bucs… i know ultimately parcells was traded once.. Belicheat was technically traded when he backed out of that deal with the Jets because they had his rights… i want to say Herm edwards was traded… and there was at least one more big name dealt in the last couple decades but I’m drawing a blank

Now we know the Steelers almost certainly wouldn’t do this, but honestly… there was a lot of Smoke about him going to Washington a few years back, and they are about to shitcan their coach…. And the NFL desperately needs a solid figurehead in that market…. So you can still dream lol

Salute the nation
I'm pretty sure that Tampa traded Dungy to the Colts, or was it the Raiders traded Gruden to Tampa? I don't remember exactly but I swear a head coach was involved in a trade with the Buccaneers

Who do we have that anyone would really want, aside from our irreplaceables like TJ Watt or Pickett.

I'd be shocked if we made any type of trade. Our season will be mostly over if we only win 1 or none of our next 3. It just makes little sense to try and get a late round pick for someone and we definitely have no need for a starter quality player unless we can get them for a late round pick.

the team is fine, just need their gender reassigned.

Look, we still have a chance to turn things around, for sure… but we have 4 games before that November 1st deadline …and at 1-3 it will be very easy to be totally out of the playoff picture by then

If that is the case, then this team needs to look at pulling the Hockey team move of dealing all moveable assets for picks… here are some potential pieces:

1 either or both backup QBs… dealing Mitch saves comp pick collateral and moving him instead of cutting him may save cap space depending upon how the deal goes… dealing Mason makes sense because he is a ufa after the season … moving both seems very unlikely, but there are low end backup QBs available for a team in the gutter not looking for a guy to carry them to wins like Garrett and Glennon still out there, plus you can always nab a guy off of a practice squad… if you aren’t looking for immediate results that is…

2. A defensive lineman… alualu looks cooked, but Larry Ogunjobi, who is a free agent signing as well as a ufa after the season, and Chris Wormley both have value… we have young guys who need the playing time behind them and plenty of options on the practice squad or on other practice squads that spent time with us in the preseason. Id rather take the sixth-ish rounder that these guys would bring back and get the young blood more experience

3. One of the Kick returners… Gunner Olszewski is the best candidate , but we dont need three on the team…gunner as a former pro bowler has actual value, though very little, and is under contract next year… he also counts toward the comp pick equation while trading him off the roster for a seventh erases that…

4. Cam Sutton… I like Cam… but he is a IFA after the season who we could get an asset for then still bring back if we wanted… it would save like 2 million bucks

5. Devon Bush… he has been meh all season, but not horrible… and someone might throw us a low rounder to try to get more out of him

6. Miles Boykin… yeah I know what you are saying.. lets move Claypool or DJ or both… but that isn’t realistic for this team… they do have too many wrs… and the key to Boykin is trading him saves a bit over a million bucks and as our best special teams gunner he will have low end interest… like comp pick seventh in 2024 interest, but still you save cap and get something back… plus the more special teams are exposed the closer we get to a staff overhaul…

There are sexier trades we could make… dealing Heyward to a contender, or moving a top Wr, but I don’t see that happening… there are also guys we could bring in in a desperate attempt to salvage the season, but again I would get assets not send them out right now… our issues are probably more staff than talent so you don’t need to blow up the roster completely… but hanging on to UFAs is just silly if you are out of it
In a division where 8-9 might win it I don't look to sell any players until we see what happens in the next few weeks. That said I am all for selling aging players to get youngers guys in and stock piling some picks.

QB- I think Mitch has little to no trade value unless someone gets hurt. And it would have to be a good defensive team that is in the running. Maybe if Jimmy G gets hurt or Indy if Ryan gets hurt. Those are teams that just need a QB to game manage. Rudolph at this point has no trade value as what we get for him vs what we end up getting in a comp pick are probably about the same. Unless he gets to play and lights it up I don't see the upside of letting him go via trade.

Larry might be our best defensive lineman at this point. Even in renting him to another team I would love an early 3rd day pick or again I might just let him go get paid elsewhere and take the decent 2024 comp pick. Wouldn't want to get too thin here as we only have Carlos Davis left on the PS. Could probably steal his brother from Tampa's PS if we sold two guys. But we'd be pretty thin up front.

No one wants Gunner unless he stops fumbling and shows he's a stud return man. I think he might be on his way out if Sims does well and we get another injury.

No one wants Bush either.

DJ probably has the best trade value but him having two relatively cheap years we would have to get a good teams 1st or bad teams 2nd to make that move IMO. Claypool can go away. All the talent in the world but is still too raw. I blame Tomlin for this as he showed promise as a rookie but has not improved on weaknesses as a rookie and teams have watched enough film to play against his weaknesses.

I would hate moving on from Cam but if he could go to a contender he deserves to be a champion. I just wish it would be with us.

Here's a shut your hole idea. And I wouldn't do it this year. But if we are struggling next year in October and it looks like we are a couple years away would you consider getting a blockbuster deal for Watt? He'd be 29 and costing us a lot of cap space. Maybe we get a couple of 1st rounders and a couple of 2nd rounders? Might be the fastest way to rebuild around KP.

Edit
Forgor Sutton. I think he's our best CB and we can probably re-sign him reasonable. It would take a little something imo to pry him away. Like a solid 2nd around pick.

Don’t really see anyone trading for the recently benched fumble prone Gunner or Bush

If we could get anything for Mitch or Rudy great…outside of the QBs maybe Wormley gets a 7th or Sutton a 6-7th but ya know Shades ain’t gonna wave the white flag and sign off on getting rid of a DB with how injuries have been hitting that position.

With CA3 getting healthy maybe we could trade Claypool, as he may get ya a 5th from a WR needy team in the playoff hunt.

Not saying trading Mitch and Ogunjobi and Gunner wouldn’t be good moves, just don’t see finding a trade partner.

They would clean up in a semi pro woman’s league… undefeated for sure… scheme be damned lol
even with Canada calling all six plays, or would he have to expand the playbook?