• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Less than a month to the trade deadline…

In a division where 8-9 might win it I don't look to sell any players until we see what happens in the next few weeks. That said I am all for selling aging players to get youngers guys in and stock piling some picks.

QB- I think Mitch has little to no trade value unless someone gets hurt. And it would have to be a good defensive team that is in the running. Maybe if Jimmy G gets hurt or Indy if Ryan gets hurt. Those are teams that just need a QB to game manage. Rudolph at this point has no trade value as what we get for him vs what we end up getting in a comp pick are probably about the same. Unless he gets to play and lights it up I don't see the upside of letting him go via trade.

Larry might be our best defensive lineman at this point. Even in renting him to another team I would love an early 3rd day pick or again I might just let him go get paid elsewhere and take the decent 2024 comp pick. Wouldn't want to get too thin here as we only have Carlos Davis left on the PS. Could probably steal his brother from Tampa's PS if we sold two guys. But we'd be pretty thin up front.

No one wants Gunner unless he stops fumbling and shows he's a stud return man. I think he might be on his way out if Sims does well and we get another injury.

No one wants Bush either.

DJ probably has the best trade value but him having two relatively cheap years we would have to get a good teams 1st or bad teams 2nd to make that move IMO. Claypool can go away. All the talent in the world but is still too raw. I blame Tomlin for this as he showed promise as a rookie but has not improved on weaknesses as a rookie and teams have watched enough film to play against his weaknesses.

I would hate moving on from Cam but if he could go to a contender he deserves to be a champion. I just wish it would be with us.

Here's a shut your hole idea. And I wouldn't do it this year. But if we are struggling next year in October and it looks like we are a couple years away would you consider getting a blockbuster deal for Watt? He'd be 29 and costing us a lot of cap space. Maybe we get a couple of 1st rounders and a couple of 2nd rounders? Might be the fastest way to rebuild around KP.

Edit
Forgor Sutton. I think he's our best CB and we can probably re-sign him reasonable. It would take a little something imo to pry him away. Like a solid 2nd around pick.

To go to the extent of trading WATT and getting major trade / draft capital it seems extreme hence realizing it would be Coach Tomlin who disperses the picks on his talent evaluation of players. Maybe we get lucky but 5-wide receivers won't fill out a team of need.

If we were going to trade our BEST player it would be nice to do so and have a new HC / regime to lead that trade payment. Maybe I' wrong and Coach Tomlin can turn things around but so far I've seen what he has to bring and I don't see change coming soon.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

no way I would trade TJ. He makes this defense 100% better.

I would not trade any one on starting offense either. Gotta give Kenny every opportunity to succeed. I guess only person in my mind tradeable would be Mason

Like I said. Not this year and not before we see how the team performs next year. But if we go 5-12 this year and starts out 1-6 next year are you not listening to phone calls at that point? If one comes in and blow you out of the water do you not make the trade?

Let’s just hope the new Kahnlin combo can do the right thing and invest in the LOS

Under your scenario Ford I would think you’d have to at least listen to calls at that point, but like DIC said that is capital that should be used by a new coach and Kahn

I truly think if we are smart enough to go OT, NT and ILB to start next draft we won’t be too far away from regaining competitiveness…we’ve got to get back to investing in big uglies tho

There are no trades, no matter how you package them, that will change the performance characteristics of the team right now. Generally speaking, if you trade player for player, you get similar value. If you want to stack up late round picks, that's a futures investment, with no ability to predict how it will pan out.

To me, the biggest issue with the Defense is that they lost likely the best defensive player in the league, Watt. He's irreplaceable, it's that simple. They are a different team without Watt, and it is glaring. I would compare it to the 80's Giants losing Lawrence Taylor. It's that impactful.

What I see overall, is my team has been forced to abandon their decades old persona of 'Steelers football'.... Where when you stepped on the field against the Steelers, even if you won the game, you limped into your next game because you still got a physical beating. The NFL has done their darndest to remove the 'hitting', but keep the tackling.

Players that used to 'tackle' via a crushing 'hit' are no longer. The days of Greg Lloyd or even Deebo Harrison planting someone are gone. And I certainly miss that style of play.... It's simply just not allowed any more.

Teams are glorified flag football teams. You tackle but you can't 'hit'. They've changed rules to entice pass happy offense. Once again, a move away from Steelers football.

We are a finesse team on offense, trying to pass to set up runs, with very little game planning that I am able to see. We look exactly the same every week.

Shades talks a better game than any coach in the league. But his time will be up soon. Depending on how well Watt heals up and can play will be the biggest factor in a 4-13 campaign v. an 8-9 campaign. I, for one, do not anticipate a winning ledger in the W/L column.

Was thinking about this this am and looking around I'm seeing teams wanting WR help. An article I read stated Green Bay made good sense for Claypool who is coming off a monster game Sunday. If that kind of production continues this season his value is way up imo.

Do you still see him as trade bait and what's the asking price?

Was thinking about this this am and looking around I'm seeing teams wanting WR help. An article I read stated Green Bay made good sense for Claypool who is coming off a monster game Sunday. If that kind of production continues this season his value is way up imo.

Do you still see him as trade bait and what's the asking price?
Like i posted in the other Thread, moving Claypool for the sake of moving Claypool makes no sense. Barring a gross overplayment, let him play out the season. He will have lots of value at the draft if we don’t want to resign him.

We aren’t here to help Green Bay. **** them. If they want him badly have them pony up a first for him.

Over this year and next Claypool makes less than Gunner does… I’d rather move Gunner for a conditional seventh this year than just giving up chase for a third because you’d get better value dealing him at the Draft if you had to move him…

I would need two first rounders and something else big to even consider Watt. He is a generational player. If he gets lucky with health he could be up with the top 4 Steelers defenders all time.

I would need two first rounders and something else big to even consider Watt. He is a generational player. If he gets lucky with health he could be up with the top 4 Steelers defenders all time.
Yeah I wouldn’t move a signed in his prime Watt for anything less than a franchise Qb haul. He is an impact HOF caliber player… generational… there is no reason to believe you find his equal with any number of first rounders so you are almost assuredly giving up the most talented piece of the trade

Also, Spenser over on the main site keeps pushing us trading for WJ3… look I wanted the kid when he was coming out too, but he is 30, has a bad back, and would be our 3rd priciest player next year and thats with the Exskins eating his signing bonus… we don’t need to add those kind of pieces in a year that is basically rebuilding… WJ3 is almost certainly cut after the season… he has a base salary over 9 million and another 3 million in roster bonuses in 23.

So basically if we don’t spend another penny in free agency we will roll 7.4 million over into next year and have about 28.5 million in cap space next year. If we traded for WJ3, in a season that almost certainly isn’t ending in a super bowl, he costs 3.2 the rest of this season and 12.5 next … so he eats 55% of our cap space and a premium pick they will want for him.. for, again, a 30 year old with back issues…

We should be trading spare parts and ufas for meh picks, not auctioning off major pieces under contract or bringing in players that aren’t long term fixes

no way I would trade TJ. He makes this defense 100% better.

I would not trade any one on starting offense either. Gotta give Kenny every opportunity to succeed. I guess only person in my mind tradeable would be Mason
Ok a bottom feeder would have to give us 5 first rounders and five second rounders. A ridiculous amount. So in other words no frickin way.

Ok a bottom feeder would have to give us 5 first rounders and five second rounders. A ridiculous amount. So in other words no frickin way.

That would be a "MAYBE" provided Cooooch would get to work his magic.......................

Salute the nation

That would be a "MAYBE" provided Cooooch would get to work his magic.......................

Salute the nation
Well of course no GM decision making is complete without cooch's guidance. I mean what do you know capable of making trades after the trade deadline. Pure man of genius I am telling you.

So one place Im seeing potential though not any hardcore insider rumors is with the Eagles… the Eagles are a team with actual depth on the Oline. Namely they have a first round LT who got beat out and is not starting in Andre Dillard. they declined the expensive guaranteed fifth year option on him, so he is a ufa after the season… and he is just coming back from a Broken arm in practice… but he is young, had a really good camp, and could help at guard if not tackle.. The eagles have a good amount of quality oline depth and were trying to deal him last season for a second because they didn’t think he fit their scheme

Id assume that price came way down… moreover they are looking for a quality special teams returner… so sending them gunner and a lower mid pick like a fifth might get this done… he is extra expendable coming off that arm injury, and he seems resignable at a reasonable price… if we sent gunner the overall cap implications would be minimal …

Im not for adding pieces, but this guy could audition for a fix at a problem area on the team… its worth exploring

Interesting given the Steelers assistant GM came from the Eagles and was a part in building that offensive line.
I think you will see a continued effort to solidify the Oline with him in the building.

Watt is the franchise right now. You don't trade the franchise.
Well at least we have a franchise LB in a QB driven league.

At least we have weapons to substitute for OL players too, whew

Makes a lot of sense to value weapons and a franchise LB to make sure they all get the ball…our asset allocation has been questionable at best for some time now

Just no cohesive vision of how to build an actual contending team

But TJ is fun to watch, especially the game or 2 each year he absolutely just takes over and wills us to victory

Well at least we have a franchise LB in a QB driven league.

At least we have weapons to substitute for OL players too, whew

Makes a lot of sense to value weapons and a franchise LB to make sure they all get the ball…our asset allocation has been questionable at best for some time now

Just no cohesive vision of how to build an actual contending team

But TJ is fun to watch, especially the game or 2 each year he absolutely just takes over and wills us to victory
Everyone is banking on us having a franchise QB.

Our D played exceptionally last week with all of our injuries. We stopped the pass on third. And stopped the run all game long and in short yardage situations. Tomlin stated he dumbed it down. I hold onto everyone and just dumb it down the rest of the way out. That is on defense. Our offense is already dumbed down to far.

Our D played exceptionally last week with all of our injuries. We stopped the pass on third. And stopped the run all game long and in short yardage situations. Tomlin stated he dumbed it down. I hold onto everyone and just dumb it down the rest of the way out. That is on defense. Our offense is already dumbed down too far.
Don't underestimate Canada he has an unprecedented amount of dumb unready to unleash upon the Steelers opponents. Fans can think enough already, but he is in the wait till they get a load of me mode.

There is dumb, there is dumber, and then there is Canada.

Canada would have to be smacked with a Mensa evaluation for his play calling to get better. We’ve yet to score more then 20 points..

Our D played exceptionally last week with all of our injuries. We stopped the pass on third. And stopped the run all game long and in short yardage situations. Tomlin stated he dumbed it down. I hold onto everyone and just dumb it down the rest of the way out. That is on defense. Our offense is already dumbed down to far.
If you think we dumbed down our D, you have no idea the complex personnel shifts and shifting of the secondary to confuse the best passer in the game. These are the same complex designs Flores was using as the Dolphins coach 3 years ago against Tom. It's the reason we were burning timeouts because the personnel shifts were too complex for our young players to understand immediately.

If you think we dumbed down our D, you have no idea the complex personnel shifts and shifting of the secondary to confuse the best passer in the game. These are the same complex designs Flores was using as the Dolphins coach 3 years ago against Tom. It's the reason we were burning timeouts because the personnel shifts were too complex for our young players to understand immediately.
I simply stated what Tomlin stated. It would explain why a bunch of practice squad players and backups played well. Less to think about. Just react. Meh. You may be right though. These nobodies were playing our complex D 10 times better than the players who have been playing for years now. Makes you think about who should be starting then. Honestly, if you don't think Tomlin and company didn't simplify the D for the secondary I would just say you probably are wrong. But to each their own I guess.

We will know more about whether the D is turning a corner into a more strategically adaptive version after this next game. Tua is a zone QB, but isn’t great at man reads. our coaches sound terrified of their speed… if we just sit in base cover 2 and 3 with a minimal rush , then last week was an aberration and its going to be same ol same old… if they have some creative hybrid and especially creative pressure with stunts and twist and delayed blitzes that Miami hasn’t shown any ability to handle all season long, then maybe they are adapting…