• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let there never be a discouraging word.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
.. said about this man.

Pretty much the approach I take on a much smaller scale. When people get deep pockets they tend to get tighter with their funds. So it takes a special man (or woman) who does for others with no expected return.

I know a few from this site who are like this to animals or people.

Kudos to you all keep up the good work, and kudos to you Bill.

Good observation, slash. Really cool thing about Parcells is he did so without saying a syllable about his generosity. He gave without wanting anybody else to know.

Good observation, slash. Really cool thing about Parcells is he did so without saying a syllable about his generosity. He gave without wanting anybody else to know.
That is the only way to do it. Give anonymously and never expect credit for it or to be paid back. Otherwise it is not goodwill charity, its self serving publicity…

Great story and embarrassing that he needs to help take care of people who contributed to an league with 32 seperate teams each worth about 3 billion.

Great story and embarrassing that he needs to help take care of people who contributed to a league with 32 separate teams each worth about 3 billion.
Yeah well a good amount of people don't know how to save money. Gaining money doesn't flip a light switch on. If anything their new found riches can go just as quickly as they came. Make more spend more.

Yeah well a good amount of people don't know how to save money. Gaining money doesn't flip a light switch on. If anything their new found riches can go just as quickly as they came. Make more spend more.
Beyond the pension the league should have a no one left behind fund so no decent person former player is left totally destitute.

Great for Bill. But you would think COLLEGE athletes would know how to be better with finances, almost like they got nothing out of the actual education part of college. Very sad actually.
The last time a study came out, it was found that 92% of NFL players will declare bankruptcy at some point in their lives…
Some live outside their means
Some make ridiculous purchases that ultimately sink them
Some lose out to lawsuits and other legal troubles like child support…
But the largest cause seems to be failed investments…
Some are bankrupted by swindlers
Some try to start businesses that fail
Others make what seems like sound investments that just go south…

The reality is that an average person earns 1-1.5 million dollars in a lifetime… even low end nfl players make serious money.. a rookie PS player is making over 200g this season… if a rookie makes tge roster the least tgey can earn is 750,000 dollars… so two years on a roster is a lifetime of earnings for the average American..

Guys who make tens of millions of dollars do not need to start a business or make risky investments… put it in the bank and live off the interest. Pick up a simple career if you want more money. Anyone who made over 50 million should never have tgere grandkids even needing money.. so definitely don’t risk that on anything

I’m surprised these teams don’t have written into contracts players need a team approved financial adviser or person drivers etc. so they avoid dumb ****

Ok there is ridiculous **** that happens which is the person's own doing. Often this happens.....the player tries to maintain close to their nfl days wealth by making ridiculously stupid high reward investments. Sorry tough ****. I'm talking guys who played in the 90's or 80's who weren't super studs and had some health issues, brain injury or real misfortune.

It's hard to come into that kind of money with so little life experience. Me? I come into a few million? I'm buying a $200,000. house. A couple three, four cars and that's about it. But, that thinking comes with age. If I were 20yrs old? I might be homeless in 15 years. lol

I'm over here thinking that it's sad that us teachers don't have these income number problems.

Kudos to Bill P.

Beyond the pension the league should have a no one left behind fund so no decent person former player is left totally destitute.
The League does have one - it's called a minimum salary which is set at multiples of the average person's annual salary. The league shouldn't be responsible for topping up ex-players finances if they (or their advisers) can't manage the money they have already been paid

I'm not talking about billionairs setting up millionaires. I'm saying if a man who helped you make your billions through circumstance related to say health (the game takes a heavy toll including brain injury) you could have a fund taken from your massive profit to help.out on a case by case basis. Jeez how much his a hot dog and a coke at a game nowadays? 20 dollars? I was at concert the other night. Guy in front of me had a can of cider. It was 17 bucks.

With all the money that's generated by this league it's sad something else isn't in place to take care of this sort of thing.

Yeah exactly the same.
So the NFL players who could be living under the bridge, a la Mike Webster, are different than the people living under the bridge now because they had scholarships and huge paychecks once?

I'm not talking about billionairs setting up millionaires. I'm saying if a man who helped you make your billions through circumstance related to say health (the game takes a heavy toll including brain injury) you could have a fund taken from your massive profit to help.out on a case by case basis. Jeez how much his a hot dog and a coke at a game nowadays? 20 dollars? I was at concert the other night. Guy in front of me had a can of cider. It was 17 bucks.
It’s a luxury to attend these events now. This is why I’m not so emotionally invested in this stuff anymore. Win or lose these players are not going to struggle paycheck to paycheck like the majority of the country

So the NFL players who could be living under the bridge, a la Mike Webster, are different than the people living under the bridge now because they had scholarships and huge paychecks once?
The people who live under the bridge now who were part of making billions for a company that damaged them permanently couod be compensated yes. The Steelers pissed 2.75 million on an injured player last year. Tuna gave 4 million and took care of 20 people. We are not talking about everyone. Case by case.