• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Martin Richard's family asks prosecutors to drop Tsarnaev death penalty

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say that I blame them, although I can't imagine defense agreeing to waive his rights to appeal...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ath-penalty/ocQLejp8H2vesDavItHIEN/story.html

To end the anguish, drop the death penalty
In Bill and Denise Richard’s own words

The past two years have been the most trying of our lives. Our family has grieved, buried our young son, battled injuries, and endured numerous surgeries — all while trying to rebuild lives that will never be the same. We sat in the courtroom, day after day, bearing witness to overwhelming evidence that included graphic video and photographs, replicated bombs, and even the clothes our son wore his last day alive. We are eternally grateful for the courage and life-saving measures of first responders, Boston Police, the Boston Fire Department, and good Samaritans on April 15, 2013. We also thank the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, the Department of Justice, and the Massachusetts US Attorney’s Office for leaving no stone unturned during the investigation and trial.

But now that the tireless and committed prosecution team has ensured that justice will be served, we urge the Department of Justice to bring the case to a close. We are in favor of and would support the Department of Justice in taking the death penalty off the table in exchange for the defendant spending the rest of his life in prison without any possibility of release and waiving all of his rights to appeal.

We understand all too well the heinousness and brutality of the crimes committed. We were there. We lived it. The defendant murdered our 8-year-old son, maimed our 7-year-old daughter, and stole part of our soul. We know that the government has its reasons for seeking the death penalty, but the continued pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives. We hope our two remaining children do not have to grow up with the lingering, painful reminder of what the defendant took from them, which years of appeals would undoubtedly bring.

For us, the story of Marathon Monday 2013 should not be defined by the actions or beliefs of the defendant, but by the resiliency of the human spirit and the rallying cries of this great city. We can never replace what was taken from us, but we can continue to get up every morning and fight another day. As long as the defendant is in the spotlight, we have no choice but to live a story told on his terms, not ours. The minute the defendant fades from our newspapers and TV screens is the minute we begin the process of rebuilding our lives and our family.

This is a deeply personal issue and we can speak only for ourselves. However, it is clear that peace of mind was taken not just from us, but from all Americans. We honor those who were lost and wish continued strength for all those who were injured. We believe that now is the time to turn the page, end the anguish, and look toward a better future — for us, for Boston, and for the country.

They are too close to the problem, and I believe they should step back. I feel for them, but this is not something they should be able to decide. We NEED the death penalty, and need to use it much more often.

They are too close to the problem, and I believe they should step back. I feel for them, but this is not something they should be able to decide. We NEED the death penalty, and need to use it much more often.

They aren't able to decide it, but certainly their opinion should be considered. Their child was one of the victims (and of course the opinions of the other victims and their families should be considered as well).

The problem is with all of the appeals and stuff it becomes almost as much of a punishment for the victim's family as it does for the perpetrator. They have to deal with it for years and years instead of being able to put it behind them.

I'm not generally in favor of the death penalty. In this case he definitely deserves it. On the other hand he's written that he wishes he could be a martyr for the cause, why make him one? Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life.

They aren't able to decide it, but certainly their opinion should be considered. Their child was one of the victims (and of course the opinions of the other victims and their families should be considered as well).

The problem is with all of the appeals and stuff it becomes almost as much of a punishment for the victim's family as it does for the perpetrator. They have to deal with it for years and years instead of being able to put it behind them.

I'm not generally in favor of the death penalty. In this case he definitely deserves it. On the other hand he's written that he wishes he could be a martyr for the cause, why make him one? Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life.

We don't run the justice system based on what people want or don't want. Everybody then would say "Yea, kill me so I can be a martyr"... Rabbit meet briar patch. I also don't care what the family wants. If they wanted to hang him should they then lynch him up? Nope. The death penalty should be streamlined and used more often so that 30+ years of appeals isn't possible. That would end all this mess.

There is no doubt that he is responsible for many deaths. It pains me that we even have to go to the trouble and expense of a trial. Between the time he was captured and the time the trial began, he should have mysteriously disappeared.

For justice to be effective it must be swift and sure. In this guy's case, no appeal. He gets a week to get his will and testament in order then he gets gassed, or shot or hung or the needle. Ought to be a limited number of appeals and a limited time for you to bring them to the court.

He should have escaped after capture. A manhunt ensued. Eventually he was cornered and in combat with authorities. He was armed. Gunfight. He lost. Game over.

We don't run the justice system based on what people want or don't want. Everybody then would say "Yea, kill me so I can be a martyr"... Rabbit meet briar patch. I also don't care what the family wants. If they wanted to hang him should they then lynch him up? Nope. The death penalty should be streamlined and used more often so that 30+ years of appeals isn't possible. That would end all this mess.

Victim statements are usually considered in sentencing.

There is no doubt that he is responsible for many deaths. It pains me that we even have to go to the trouble and expense of a trial. Between the time he was captured and the time the trial began, he should have mysteriously disappeared.

I'm all for that. As far as I'm concerned he is an enemy combatant and we would have been perfectly within our rights to shoot him dead in the street. We've already spent milions on his medical care and legal defense. Still, the prospect of this ******* getting his wish to be a state assassinated martyr and hero to other bloodthirsty savages, and not even suffering during it, doesn't seem like much of a punishment to me.

If he gets life then by the time he gets to Muzzie Heaven he'll be too old to have an erection and do anything with the 72 virgins.

I think he should live. In a rat infested black hole where the only light he ever sees is from a video of him running over his brother as he escaped, looped and played endlessly.

Victim statements are usually considered in sentencing.

Never said they weren't. However, trying to mind read what the accused would like worse is usually not considered.

Never said they weren't. However, trying to mind read what the accused would like worse is usually not considered.

We don't have to mind read, we have it written down in his own words on the inside of the boat....

"I'm jealous of my brother who ha [re]ceived the reward of jannutul Firdaus [highest part of paradise] (inshallah) before me. I do not mourn because his soul is very much alive. God has a plan for each person. Mine was to hide in this boat and shed some light on our actions. I ask Allah to make me a shahied [martyr] to allow me to return to him and be among all the righteous people in the highest levels of heaven. He who Allah guides no one can misguide. A[llah Ak]bar!

I ask Allah to make me a shahied [martyr] to allow me to return to him and be among all the righteous people in the highest levels of heaven.

That's pretty clear. I say grant him his wish, and let's move on....to the next one.

That's pretty clear. I say grant him his wish, and let's move on....to the next one.
Do the Gen. Pershing thing and wrap him in a pigskin before you execute him.

We don't have to mind read, we have it written down in his own words on the inside of the boat....

"I'm jealous of my brother who ha [re]ceived the reward of jannutul Firdaus [highest part of paradise] (inshallah) before me. I do not mourn because his soul is very much alive. God has a plan for each person. Mine was to hide in this boat and shed some light on our actions. I ask Allah to make me a shahied [martyr] to allow me to return to him and be among all the righteous people in the highest levels of heaven. He who Allah guides no one can misguide. A[llah Ak]bar!

Again, rabbit in the briar patch. Somehow "god" wanted him to hide in a boat instead of being killed. Funny how that works. Just because someone says something or writes something doesn't make it true. The fact that he didn't come out shooting or at least pretending to shoot so that the cops could mow him down, tells me what he really believes.

But again, it doesn't matter to me what he believes. He should die. Period.

He definitely should get death. These people are not the only victims.