• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are similar threads but let's have a clear headline in case any steeler brass come looking, they won't miss it.

He should have been fired last year. The system is a joke. It's a high school offense. The fact that Mike Tomlin doesn't know this is disturbing. Canada was given every excuse. Big Ben was washed. Then it was the OL's fault or Claypool's fault, or Kenny's a rookie so they are keeping things simple. What's the excuse now? None.

You just watched the Houston Texans, with a rookie Head Coach, a rookie Offensive Coordinator, and a patchwork OL with guys who are practice squad level. They didn't make excuses, they just came up with a gameplan to negate the steelers edge rushers and give their QB easy throws with run after catch potential.

You must have league contacts. Make some calls. Ask some ex coaches or players what they think of Canada's system.

You drafted a 1st round QB. He can't even be evaluated in this simple system. Now he may be injured. In effect, it will be like year 3 is his rookie year again. Cutting it close to decision time on whether to give him a new contract. Do you want to be the Giants and have to pay out a big contract on faith?

A huge reason they need to cancel Canada. It is obvious he is hindering everything in the building. The level of crayon consumption is Guinness book of world record level. That is why he is up there in the booth. Up there popping crayons like it is Oxycodone.

Canada gotta go for sure. But those other offensive coaches are there too. Unless this guy is a total idiot and takes no advice, which may be, the other offensive coaches are also responsible for this mess. And what about the defensive coaches...and the head idiot.

I am so glad I didn't see that mess today. I am a positive guy...it's more fun that way, but as long as they keep these coaches, what is the point? Why invest any time?

Canada gotta go for sure. But those other offensive coaches are there too. Unless this guy is a total idiot and takes no advice, which may be, the other offensive coaches are also responsible for this mess. And what about the defensive coaches...and the head idiot.

I am so glad I didn't see that mess today. I am a positive guy...it's more fun that way, but as long as they keep these coaches, what is the point? Why invest any time?
It was reported last year that Canada didn't even meet with his offensive assistants/coaches. He had them give him written reports on their thoughts and developed the gameplan (well, whatever that **** is), without their actual input.

It was reported last year that Canada didn't even meet with his offensive assistants/coaches. He had them give him written reports on their thoughts and developed the gameplan (well, whatever that **** is), without their actual input.
I heard each report had to be written in a different tinted Crayola.

Wow. If that's true...I said this last week. If this was the Browns or something, we would be laughing our ***** off. I was just a toddler in the late 60s the last time the Steelers were a laughing stock, but here we are.

Cannot disagree with the post title. Although I would sack the OL coach too.

Since Canada has been OC, the offense has not put up 30 points or 400 yards.... Not once.

Hard to comprehend how the wheels have come off. We looked horrendous out there. I'm embarrassed as a fan.... Gotta wonder what the players are thinking.

The last point was the big one. Canada never should've been in place for Pickett considering he was an awful hire from the start. However, they should've fired him after last season to get a fair evaluation of Pickett. Instead, they'll need another year to see what he can do. Right now he is damaged goods because the OC reinforced Pickett's weaknesses with the offensive scheme rather than build on his strengths. That is going to take quite a bit of work to break.

The last point was the big one. Canada never should've been in place for Pickett considering he was an awful hire from the start. However, they should've fired him after last season to get a fair evaluation of Pickett. Instead, they'll need another year to see what he can do. Right now he is damaged goods because the OC reinforced Pickett's weaknesses with the offensive scheme rather than build on his strengths. That is going to take quite a bit of work to break.
Sometimes i see kenny failing to look at other options. 2nd reads.. i.e.. Heyward in the back of the endzone today. But yes i think that is from dealing in this system. The throw to CA 3 last week... was the same one as today... today the throw could have been better.. but both throws imo were kennys natual ability. Kid is a gamer.. I like him.. I just want to see someone who knows what the **** theyre doing as our OC and work with him.

It was noted at previous jobs that the fellow workers didn't like him at all, his arrogance was stated.

Salute the nation

Cannot disagree with the post title. Although I would sack the OL coach too.

Since Canada has been OC, the offense has not put up 30 points or 400 yards.... Not once.

Hard to comprehend how the wheels have come off. We looked horrendous out there. I'm embarrassed as a fan.... Gotta wonder what the players are thinking.
Someone stated since Canada took over we have had 2 games where we had at least 30 points.

Every single person on this board can put together a better offensive game plan then Canada.

Why this guy is protected is beyond words.. Tomlin sucks.

At least we scored points with Haley

Absolutely Canada should be fired immediately, like not even ride home with the team. But it is SO much more than that. There needs to be an entire house cleaning of our coaches. OL coach too. But I can’t go without mentioning how poor our D coaching has been as well. Austin but more specifically our db coaching. There is a misnomer where having these tremendous players on our team making plays is somehow being associated with good coaching. It doesn’t .. they are milking these players to cover for their poor coaching/evaluating/planning/game planning abilities. ALL of this starts with the poor decisions that have been made by Tomlin. YEARS of poor decisions that have gone unaccounted for. Tell me another team that wouldn’t have fired Canada after last season ? What is even more sickening is the OC and DC candidates that we COULD have gone after to replace these buffoons in the off-season. I mean we even had Flores right here but left him go….to keep Austin ???? WTF? I PRAY that Omar Kahn and Andy Weidl get together immediately after this game and make the decision that we know needs to be made…the entire coaching staff from top to bottom needs to be GONE. Don’t agree with me ? Tell me one game this year or last year where there was any scheme or gameplan on offense or defense that won us a game? Where we actually OUTCOACHED the other team ? Actually go back 3 years, or even 5 years…it hasn’t happened. Our success has been determined from a player here or there making a splash play to tip the game in our favor.
I suffered through the Bubby Brister years and it was terrible, but this may be worse. Then we just didn’t have enough good players. We DO have some very good talent on our team now , but we have TERRIBLE coaching, and TERRIBLE head coaching that won’t hold asst coaches accountable and he himself isn’t being held accountable.
These firings should be thorough and quick , I just wished they would have happened in Jan or Feb instead of discussing now. We could have had Sean Payton as coach, Joe Lombardi as OC and Brian Flores as DC. Or even Bryon Leftwich as HC so the Rooneys can have their precious diversity hire. Does THAT make you sick ? It sure does me

Last edited:
Matt Canada is a fraud! Then LSU HC Ed Orgeron fired him in season his first year in Baton Rouge.
Tomlin, is like Terry Bradshaw says he is, a cheerleader. Nothing really changes until Tomlin is gone and a new young coach with todays NFL mindset is hired.
This is now gotten ridiculous with possibly the most inept, incompetent coaching staff in the league.

Reactions: xjx
The real problem is Tomlin. I'm telling you right now, when Haley was fired and Fichtner took over, Tomlin started getting more involved in the offense. If you look at the style of the offense, it all started that season when Fichtner took over. The offense this year is exactly the same as that year Fichtner took over. The common denominator is Tomlin. Pickett has said quite a few times that him and Tomlin go over the offensive game plan each week. People thinking that Tomlin isn't signing off on these plays are delusional. Tomlin isn't blind sided by anything Canada does, he's well aware and fine with the calls.

Bottom line, Tomlin just is not a good coach. He's a great cheerleader. His idea of coaching during the game is going over and telling the OL to start playing better.. thats not coaching. Fixing problems, making adjustments according to what you see from the opponent is real coaching. Tomlin cannot do Xs and Os.

He's road Ben's coattail his entire career. Now he has to rely on TJ. It's time to move on, Tomlin has run his course. He needs to go after this season. I will not be attending another home game until Tomlin is dismissed. Talk with your wallets if you want change.. Rooney will damn sure listen to that.