• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

F7eTLBmXcAAJDxU

F7g0ejaWgAA6ZLI

Supposedly is the key word here. The talent level isn't there - we have a bunch of has beens and retreads we acquired in the off season that are poorly coached to boot. Our supposed all-Pro edge rusher was held to no sacks by a no-name OL. Pickett has regressed and Najee is decent if the holes are there but neither appear to be first round material.
There is plenty of talent. The Texans are playing with 3rd stringers on their line and had no problem stopping Watt (with assists from the refs) and Highsmith. It is coaching, schemes, and then execution as far as the OL problems.

This is depressing but Canada < Tomlin < Rooney.

We are left to hope that the man who has given Tomlin a second and third and fourth chance will stop this futility and hire a better head coach.

The Fan Morning Show is stealing my material again.
Just heard:
Mike Tomlin can not hire coordinators.
The last good coordinator was Todd Haley, who was hired by Dan Rooney to not get Ben killed.

Here is what COMPLETELY baffles me

Mike Tomlin is a supposed Defensive GURU.

Mike Tomlin reviews the game strategy, play designs, concepts, and also reviews game tape of the previous games and does so through the lens of a defensive GURU. Right?

HOW THE **** DOES HE NOT FROTH AT THE MOUTH AND CUM IN HIS KHAKIS WISHING HE COULD CALL A DEFENSE AGAINST THIS **** SHOW OFFENSE???!!!??

How does he not look at this Crayola playbook and let this fly on game day?

I dont get it!!!

I've been an OC in the past at several levels up to HS ball, and when I design a concept I'll ask the defensive coaches how they would defend it, what adjustments could I expect on alignments and what are their reads? That cannot be happening in the Steelers coaching room. Not a chance!

Just how bad has Matt Canada been? Let’s take a look at some numbers. It’s worse than it appears. I’ll keep adding to this as I find them.
• The Steelers have more 1st quarter drives that end in turnovers (15) than they do touchdowns (13) since he took over.
• The Steelers average just 4.4 Yards Per Play on 1st down since he took over. Worst in the NFL.
• The Steelers are 1-15 if their opponent scores more than 22 points. Worst in the NFL.
• The Steelers offense is 2nd Worst in the NFL in yards in the 1st quarter since he took over.
• The Steelers offense is 2nd Worst in the NFL in points in the 1st quarter since he took over.
• The Steelers offense has had 26 first half drives this season. Only 1 of those have ended up in the red zone. Worst in the NFL.
• 61% of their drives this season reach 3rd down. Worst in the NFL.
• 55% of their drives result in a 3 and out. Worst in the NFL.
• The Steelers have scored just 20 points or less 24 times since Matt Canada took over. Worst in the NFL.
• The Steelers have not had a game with 400 yards on offense since he took over. Every other team in the NFL has at least 4.
• EPA/play this season: Worst in the NFL.
• Dropback success rate: 2nd Worst in the NFL
• Rushing success rate: 3rd Worst in the NFL.

ZERO 400 YARD GAMES TOTAL YARDAGE IN THE MATT CANADA ERA....
The only NFL team with no 400 yard games in the last three years.

Here’s a great short video on how to put together a gameplan. Urban Meyers discussing the book written by Brian Billick that changed the way every coach prepares and practices and puts together his play sheet for each game.

The best part is the talk of the importance of short yardage plays and how you make sure you have specific plays for those situations. Plays that you practiced all week so you execute them perfectly in the key situations.

Now consider the **** show Steeler short yardage plays that look like they drew them up in the dirt and attempted them for the first time right there in the game. The stupid QB option play that looked like a clown show comes to mind.

Worth the watch.

Since we all know Canada is here until the end of the season, who would you like to see interview for the OC position in the offseason? I'm looking at two on the Dolphins staff in Darrel Bevel and (gasp) Wes Welker (yes, that Wes Welker).

Bevel has been an OC before (Seattle's SB winning team) and should be looking for a bump up in responsibility from being the "passing game coordinator" for Miami. Welker will have spent the last two seasons as the Dolphins WR coach, and we see how that's been working out for the Dolphins. Prior to that, he was in the same position for 49s. He's been credited with the development of Deebo Sanders and Brandon Aiyuk. This guy has spent basically the last five years learning the Shanahan system; that's a plus. Further, if Welker were hired, there would be that much more anger and vitriol when he ***** up due to his past as a Cheatriot.

Edit: Also have to give credit to Welker for realizing that the Belichek coaching tree is about as barren as the Tomlin one and not heading for an assistant job with the Cheats. Of course, that might also be a reason he wouldn't consider coming here.

Last edited:
Since we all know Canada is here until the end of the season, who would you like to see interview for the OC position in the offseason? I'm looking at two on the Dolphins staff in Darrel Bevel and (gasp) Wes Welker (yes, that Wes Welker).

Bevel has been an OC before (Seattle's SB winning team) and should be looking for a bump up in responsibility from being the "passing game coordinator" for Miami. Welker will have spent the last two seasons as the Dolphins WR coach, and we see how that's been working out for the Dolphins. Prior to that, he was in the same position for 49s. He's been credited with the development of Deebo Sanders and Brandon Aiyuk. This guy has spent basically the last five years learning the Shanahan system; that's a plus. Further, if Welker were hired, there would be that much more anger and vitriol when he ***** up due to his past as a Cheatriot.

Edit: Also have to give credit to Welker for realizing that the Belichek coaching tree is about as barren as the Tomlin one and not heading for an assistant job with the Cheats. Of course, that might also be a reason he wouldn't consider coming here.
I would definitely look for a young guy with fresh ideas. I have no idea what he saw in Canaduh other than he gave his son a shot at the college level.

If it was up to me I’d bring back The Toddster or hire Duce Staley.

I think we need the SCOTUS to shoot down the Rooney rule before our next head coach hiring

Just saying hiring on merit is probably the best idea.
Well then say that. And if the implication is/was that Tomlin wasn't hired on merit, show us where you were part of the interview/decision-making process or otherwise are privy to inside information that disputes that the hiring was on merit.

Well then say that. And if the implication is/was that Tomlin wasn't hired on merit, show us where you were part of the interview/decision-making process or otherwise are privy to inside information that disputes that the hiring was on merit.
Agreed---

I believe the current Head Coach of the Redskins was Tomlin's biggest competitor for the job?
Might be thinking of someone else though?

Last edited:
Well, I will say he and his last ranked passing defense in his single season as DC in Minnesota didn't quite qualify him as the new head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and connecting the reason why he was hired isn't too difficult. All I am saying is lets not do that again. Find the best candidate and hire them without prejudice.

Agreed---

I belive the current Head Coach of the Redskins was Tomlin's biggest competitor for the job?
Might bethinking of someone else though?
Nah. Whizz and Russ were the leading candidates going into the process. Tomlin came out of left field.

Well, I will say he and his last ranked passing defense in his single season as DC in Minnesota didn't quite qualify him as the new head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and connecting the reason why he was hired isn't too difficult. All I am saying is lets not do that again. Find the best candidate and hire them without prejudice.
Of course it's not too difficult if you're looking for that to be the reason. I'll point out that the reports at the time were that he blew them away during his interview. I'll also point out that he was on the coaching staffs of two coaches who won SBs. Maybe that knowledge gained from those coaches was applied during the interview process.
But, to be fair .... I don't know what the basis for hiring Tomlin was. Neither do you. So, let's not speculate.

Of course it's not too difficult if you're looking for that to be the reason. I'll point out that the reports at the time were that he blew them away during his interview. I'll also point out that he was on the coaching staffs of two coaches who won SBs. Maybe that knowledge gained from those coaches was applied during the interview process.
But, to be fair .... I don't know what the basis for hiring Tomlin was. Neither do you. So, let's not speculate.
If you don't think race had ANYTHING to do with Tomlin being hired then you are just naive. His resume was very lackluster. And the only accolade I read about him from the Rooney's is Tomlin was "organized." Not saying that is a bad thing but out of all the things I would look for in a HC organizational skills would not be top the list.

If you don't think race had ANYTHING to do with Tomlin being hired then you are just naive. His resume was very lackluster. And the only accolade I read about him from the Rooney's is Tomlin was "organized." Not saying that is a bad thing but out of all the things I would look for in a HC organizational skills would not be top the list.
Personally I believe Dan and the org thought Tomlin was the best candidate...I'm sure he came highly recommended also...from the likes of Tony Dungy, Chucky from the Bucs & Raiders, etc, etc.,,

Dan Rooney was a very sharp man....I dont think he would hire anyone unless he thought they were the best candidate for the job of Head Coach of HIS football team.

Whiz and Grimm dont remind you of Lombardi and Shula either..