• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe Ben is part of the problem

Ben likes to win. When you have 4th and a foot, which I think the 1st half 4th down play was, you have to go with the
play that guarantees the 1st down, which would have been the QB sneak. I can see Tomlin putting restrictions on Ben
running in the regular season. But once you get to the playoffs you need to be all in and do whatever it takes to
win.

This ****-avalanche was gonna trigger whether we lost this weekend, next weekend or the Super Bowl.

I do know some here are as jovial as warthog in a melon patch with this tabloid quality news cycle from Cowherd and Florio.

Hazmat suits are donned and folks trekking thru the fecal flood

There is only one move here. Munchak replaces Tomlin. If Ben teally doesnt have the clout for that he should shut his mouth. He got what he wanted with Haley. Ptetty hard for an organization to fire a guy with Tomlins record for a guy who will be gone at best in two years.

Troy and Heath also had similar comments upon retiring about the locker room.
Ben tried the retirement angle last season, and that's all that was. That obviously didn't work, so maybe this will.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
And probably the reason Heath hung it up a few years too soon.

Young people today are way more immature than in the past.

The locker room culture definitely has to change. The players seem to be more worried about other teams/players than their own performance. Players like Bud Dupree and Mike Mitchell are perfect examples of this. Bud was more concerned with James Harrison than his own pathetic play. A good start to changing things would be to cut Mitchell and DO NOT pick up the 5th year option for Bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh. While I agree that youngsters are getting more immature, it was time for Heath to retire. That last season he didn't have much athleticism left and was pretty much a short yardage option only at that point because his speed was gone. Time isn't kind to anyone. .

I’m not even sure it’s more immature, I think it’s they just don’t respect people as much. The veterans on the team seem to have less of a presence in the locker room because the younger guys are just going to do what they want cause no one is telling them how to act. Now that isn’t all young players but it seems to be the attitude of that generation in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's simple alot of them are me first guys, and you rarely if ever win with guys like that. They show up to have fun and sometimes they need to show up and work!

I heard AB took this loss pretty hard, sounds like he's getting it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Not a fan of Cowherd either, but there is usually at least some nugget of truth in these "I have it on source type stories" from a major journalist like him.

Ben can only do so much, even with his stature, there has to be a disciplinarian to go along with the culture that should be there, Tomlin either seems ok with the culture as it is or doesn't have an interest or ability to change it.

Who actually believes Tomlin leads them to a championship next year, even with all their talent back...what type of odds to you give them?

This year has had the most drama and bad acts I've ever seen, it seems to get worse each of the past 3 years...who would you say the Steeler's culture resembles more: Lewis' Bengals/Ryan's Jets or the Patriots???

How many of the wins that led to 13-3 deserved to be losses based on sloppy, poorly coached, and unprepared play? I say the first Browns game, Colts, Packers, and 2nd Ravens game (I'll give Tomlin a pass on the 2nd Bengals game due to Shazier's injury). They were living on borrowed time, winning games they shouldn't, and it caught up to them a the worst time in the playoffs.

Time for Tomlin to go, he deserves it...but I still bet it won't happen

I think Ben, like many of us, look at the Patriots with all of their no-name players and see them winning and he is getting tired of it. They don't talk **** during the week in the media, they just go out there, work hard and win football games. If you add discipline to the talent on this team, there is no limit to what can be accomplished. Instead, no-one in the secondary can tackle, and practice time is apparently spent on end zone celebration dances. Oh what could have been.

Ben can only do so much, even with his stature, there has to be a disciplinarian to go along with the culture that should be there, Tomlin either seems ok with the culture as it is or doesn't have an interest or ability to change it.

Tomlin is not only ok with the culture, he sets the tone. What kind of a ******** talks about meeting any team in the AFCCG 2 months before the game. How can you control the players when you can't control yourself?

As for Ben being part of the problem. I think what we have is a frustrated future HoF QB, that is seeing his window for another championship coming to an end.

Last edited:
https://nesn.com/2018/01/nfl-rumors-ben-roethlisberger-massively-frustrated-with-mike-tomlin/

First the minority owners want him out, but if Ben is on their side the chance for finding a new head coach is closer to reality.

To reiterate on your terms....Please show proof which Limited Partners (not minority owners - there is a difference) have voiced (to Florio) their demands. You can't, but still put a foundation on it. As for Cowherd.....his inside source....LOL....he needs listeners on his show.....he will say anything until the next newsworthy hot topic.

Ok......so the two "sources" of this story are Collin Cowherd.......and Mike Florio. Can anyone on here think of two less credible sources on Planet Earth not to mention the two guys who LOVE to stir up **** more than anyone else on Earth? Me either. More than likely it's two ********* just being *********.

Cowherd and Florio's "sources"?
So now that the Steelers-Cheats game that guys like these two chooches needed to stay relevant ain't gonna happen they now have "sources"? Can the BS be more obvious?
Ben Roethlisberger knows football and knows when sideline decisions aren't being made to put the team in a position to succeed.
If I were Ben's age and after some of the bone headed decisions that have taken place this season? Well Ben is a team guy and looks like he wants another shot with his teammates.
"You play the game to win"- Coach Herm Edwards

So it states Ben's been is tired of the lack of discipline. A bunch of boys. .....spot on. What us fans have been saying now for a while. And it does start with Tomlin. He has to make a change to get his players to change. Thanks Ben for getting the ball rolling.

Three cheers to Ben, I say! And while us fans can only speculate to the degree of that lack of discipline because we're on the outside looking in, Ben has to deal with this day in and day out. And as someone mentioned it before, guys like Heath, Troy, etc. voiced their concerns over the loose frat-house culture.

It's not Ben's job to be the disciplinarian. Imagine yourself at your job (if you're regular joe and not a manager)... is it your job to keep the slackers/knuckleheads you work with in line?

The Steelers have had 3 major problems over the course of several years: playcalling, situational football, and discipline. While getting rid of Haley presumably solves the playcalling problems, who else but the HC is responsible for the other 2?

Ben's just sick & tired of taking pretty girls to dances, but never going home with them.

To reiterate on your terms....Please show proof which Limited Partners (not minority owners - there is a difference) have voiced (to Florio) their demands. You can't, but still put a foundation on it. As for Cowherd.....his inside source....LOL....he needs listeners on his show.....he will say anything until the next newsworthy hot topic.

Come on man, is this really so hard to believe? I'm not saying I take everything on face value, I'm not 100% sold either, but when there is this much smoke, usually there is fire. When so many folks around you start to say the same thing about you, cries of "fake news" get harder and harder to believe

This must be addressed by Art ll and he and Tomlin must make Tomlin understand what’s expected of him. Not just about wins but how the team carries itself and the overall attitude of the team. This is a mess and needs to be addressed by Art.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

658.png

It does not take much to see that there a some very immature players on the Steelers roster. I don't care if they start 11-0 next year. I ain't getting suckered in again. I will just watch and keep my mouth shut.

Whether this is a story or not, I don't see how it's an issue if Ben wants his teammates to be more serious. Heyward talked about assignment football after the loss and it's not the first time he's done that. However, it it was that easy to do what the Patriots are doing, they wouldn't win like they do every year. Belichick is probably the only coach who can pull that off and it's going to be interesting to see how Pederson and McVay grow into their coaching positions because they both have a chance to be superstars for the foreseeable future. Tomlin can put a good regular season team together, but the lack of success in the playoffs is disappointing. He made a change on offense, but nothing on defense? You need to do something to get this team over the hump.