• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin: “I’m in the Jordan Davis camp regardless.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in the market to add talent to their defensive line this offseason. It seems as if it’s all of Steeler Nation‘s dream scenario that the freaky athletic DT Jordan Davis from Georgia falls to the team at pick No. 20 in the 2022 NFL Draft. Head Coach Mike Tomlin states in the clip below after being asked if we could possibly see Davis in a Steelers’ uniform, “I doubt it, he may have hugged [Commissioner Roger] Goodell by then.”

Davis, a 6’6″, 341 pound athletic monster, would be a tremendous addition to the defensive side of the ball for the Steelers. It is very unlikely that Davis falls to the Steelers because he is a generational talent that every team in the NFL thirsts after. However, if for some reason he magically does fall to pick No. 20, it would be extremely hard for the Steelers to pass on him for any other player.

Both Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert were in attendance at Georgia’s Pro Day earlier this week:

Mike Tomlin says he thinks Jordan Davis will have already hugged Roger Goodell by the time the Steelers are picking. pic.twitter.com/HFqh1F9q9V

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) March 16, 2022

How would you feel if this pipe dream came true for the Steelers during the 2022 NFL Draft? Sound off in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

My guess is the only chance the Steelers get him is if he’s still available around pick 15 and they don’t have to trade away too much draft capital to get him.

I was in the Davis camp about halfway through the Georgia season last year.

Trying to throttle my hopes way down,but damn that type of size and athleticism just doesn't grow on trees. Good luck trying to run through that wall of havoc.

Tomlin with a public hard on for a player pre draft. Would love to play poker with this guy.
The Steelers' first-round pick is usually a guy they've met with multiple times. And, you can usually get a feel for what direction they're going in by looking at the positions of the guys they meet with during the pre-draft process. Interestingly enough, it appears that Tomlin might just have his poker face on with his "public hard on" for Davis. Behindthesteelcurtain has comprised a list of guys the Steelers officially met with during the Senior Bowl and Combine ... Very few DL (as in none) appear on that list. While they did meet with Davis for dinner before his pro day, it will be interesting to see if they have him in for an official Pre-Draft Visit at their facilities.

Looking at the list of guys who they did visit with, you get the idea that they are looking at QB, WR, TE, OL, LB, CB, S as positions of need for this draft. Now, maybe that's all a smokescreen and they really do want to go DL in Rd1. Who knows? But, sending mixed messages between what you say publicly and what you actually do as far as who you interview is not a bad "poker" strategy.

*It's also interesting to note that, other than the QBs, Cam's little brother is one player they've met with at every opportunity.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ior-bowl-combine-nfl-draft-update-rumors-news

Tomlin with a public hard on for a player pre draft. Would love to play poker with this guy.
Just curious what would he gain for being discreet? You really think other teams don’t see his talent and his tape? It doesn’t matter one way or another IMO and might as well give an honest answer to what he thinks of him.

I feel this is going to be like the 2001 draft. Everyone thought the Steelers were interested it Shaun Rogers when in fact the Steelers really wanted Casey Hampton. I think Jordan Davis has a higher ceiling but a lower floor as well. Devonte Wyatt on the other hand is a safer pick and has actually been a much more consistent player.

I feel this is going to be like the 2001 draft. Everyone thought the Steelers were interested it Shaun Rogers when in fact the Steelers really wanted Casey Hampton. I think Jordan Davis has a higher ceiling but a lower floor as well. Devonte Wyatt on the other hand is a safer pick and has actually been a much more consistent player.

I know we are hoping for a 0-1-2 tech guy, but as for me, the Georgia DL who is a potential All-Pro is Travon Walker. He holds the point at DE extremely well, can take on double teams and still maintain the edge, is a physical freak and reminds me of Micah Parsons in that he is a guy whose tools were not used well in college in pass rushing. His combination of power, bend and speed will make him a force rushing the passer.

No way he falls to 20, so whatever.

Just curious what would he gain for being discreet? You really think other teams don’t see his talent and his tape? It doesn’t matter one way or another IMO and might as well give an honest answer to what he thinks of him.
Great why don't all teams tell us who they will draft ? You gain nothing by opening your mouth and then running like a fool to the podium 5 seconds into your pick instead of taking all allowed time to see what a different team might offer for said pick.b

Reactions: FSF
I know we are hoping for a 0-1-2 tech guy, but as for me, the Georgia DL who is a potential All-Pro is Travon Walker. He holds the point at DE extremely well, can take on double teams and still maintain the edge, is a physical freak and reminds me of Micah Parsons in that he is a guy whose tools were not used well in college in pass rushing. His combination of power, bend and speed will make him a force rushing the passer.

I was just about to say no way should he be available at 20 then saw your closing statement.

He doesn't get talked about as much. But I think that is part of the reason. He is a 3 down DE where some might see Davis as a two down (I don't) NT 0 or 1 technique. I see Walker more of a Tuitt replacement 2 or 3 technique and Davis more of an Alu replacement.

Travon probably has the highest ceiling of the three but as of right now he’s mostly potential. I’d compare him to Danielle Hunter. You can see the potential but the product on the field is far from complete. I think Walker falls to round two.

Travon probably has the highest ceiling of the three but as of right now he’s mostly potential. I’d compare him to Danielle Hunter. You can see the potential but the product on the field is far from complete. I think Walker falls to round two.

His productivity last year began to catch up with his physical tools. He had 6 sacks, 36 QB pressures. You sure as hell could be right that he falls past 32, but man, I wonder how many times a team can pass up a guy that big, that fast, who produced 6 sacks and 36 pressures against that level of competition.

Slash compares him to Tuitt, and I agree completely. He is quicker than Tuitt, however, and just scratching the surface of his talents. Some 3-4 team is going to get a force at DE with him.

Oh, and no wonder Georgia won the national title. Holy hell, if you kept that defense together in the NFL, it would become one of the best.

His productivity last year began to catch up with his physical tools. He had 6 sacks, 36 QB pressures. You sure as hell could be right that he falls past 32, but man, I wonder how many times a team can pass up a guy that big, that fast, who produced 6 sacks and 36 pressures against that level of competition.

Slash compares him to Tuitt, and I agree completely. He is quicker than Tuitt, however, and just scratching the surface of his talents. Some 3-4 team is going to get a force at DE with him.

Oh, and no wonder Georgia won the national title. Holy hell, if you kept that defense together in the NFL, it would become one of the best.
It has but according to pff he had 20 QB hurries. Not sure who’s right but not great production. I typically like first round picks to have everything. Athleticism, production, character and clean medical. And it depends on the year and where you draft also. Thinner draft and later first round pick maybe you overlook the lack of production. Or maybe you have such a high ceiling on the guy you are fine taking the risk. I just think his ceiling is Danielle Hunter but his floor is Vernon Gholston. I’d rather draft a safe player usually if that’s my options.

We would definitely have to trade up to 1.13 to get him...
Ravens just lost their starting center in FA, I think there's a good chance they grab Lindenbaum at 14 so there's a better chance Davis could slip to us now, Don't know if the Chargers will grab him though.

i noticed on the latest cbs mock, that they had davis slipping all the way down to the chiefs. no way in hell he lasts that long

i noticed on the latest cbs mock, that they had davis slipping all the way down to the chiefs. no way in hell he lasts that long

Not a chance because if he gets to 1.20 he should be goooooooone. Stranger things have happened but this should happen.

Salute the nation

Nice poker face Mike.

Dude…. I don’t care if he’s marrying your daughter, don’t telegraph your damn pre draft opinion the way you screwed it up and cost team Revis.

Probably higher… teams lose their minds over 40 times… outside of wrs, tes rbs and dbs that stat is grossly overrated…long straight line speed isn’t in play that often really…
Agreed. A great 40 time to me, I’d argue that it shows tremendous work ethic & preparation for the technique of getting out on the stance knowing you’ll be graded for it.

Otherwise, meh