• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin States Okorafor is Left Tackle as of Today

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
During their press conference today, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked who the Steelers left tackle and right cornerback would be as of today.

Tomlin made it clear that depth charts today mean nothing, stating “they aren’t worth the paper they’re written on”.

He went on to say that 4th year player Chukwuma Okorafor would be the team’s left tackle if the season started today, and added that Cameron Sutton would be the team’s right cornerback.

He also reiterated that that means very little. Sutton definitely was the expected answer to the latter question, but Okorafor being the answer for left tackle may surprise some fans.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Speaking of paper, I think the Steelers will field a legitimate playoff contending team, but it will be paper thin and no way it will survive a 17 game season.

I think this seals Banner at RT and a legitimate LT is going to be drafted.

We desperately need 3 starters from this draft but like SteelerSask, it would only take 3-injuries to knock out our 20-0 run.

Salute the nation

I think this seals Banner at RT and a legitimate LT is going to be drafted.

We desperately need 3 starters from this draft but like SteelerSask, it would only take 3-injuries to knock out our 20-0 run.

Salute the nation
Interesting. I thought it indicated more of an inclination to get two starters RB and C. Then two "starter in waiting" types who have the upside to start before the end of the season; LT and G. They will need a Guard because, as quiet as we've been about it, Decastro's contract ends after this season and they haven't really addressed that situation either through an extension or a player worthy of taking his spot.
So many possible ways that they can go. But, that's an indication of how shallow the depth is on this team right now for most positions other than WR.

If Darrisaw is there you go with him in the 1st, same goes with Slater who could also play C.
If not they might wait until 2nd or 3rd to fill the LT spot.

(in a cooch voice) I done told-dit you they would move Chukes over. Red rover red rover send Chukes right over. Dear NFL draft please let a LT slide to 24, sincerely Ben's aching knees.

Darrisaw and Slater are very likely not available at 24. I think a guy I originally questioned as a tackle, thought he might have to move to guard, is somebody I have a lot higher opinion on now that I have watched a lot more tape: Samuel Cosmi - Texas. Watch the tape against LSU. REALLY good run blocker. Very agile. I wish he was a half-tick faster in his set, but he has superb balance, stays on top of his feet without leaning, does not buy into fakes, mirrors really well. In watching tape, he looks like a guy who is 6'3", 275 lbs. because of his agility. His issue is that he tends to give up too much ground on his pass set, such that the defender needs to push him back just 4' to interrupt the pass. He is excellent at picking up stunts. The interior of the Texas offensive line, however, was another story.

Dude has the tools. 6'6", 314 lbs., great pro day (4.84 40, an astounding 1.68 10-yard split, 36 reps). I think he could start today at RT, as his run blocking is so good, and turn into a really good LT in short order.

Darrisaw and Slater are very likely not available at 24. I think a guy I originally questioned as a tackle, thought he might have to move to guard, is somebody I have a lot higher opinion on now that I have watched a lot more tape: Samuel Cosmi - Texas. Watch the tape against LSU. REALLY good run blocker. Very agile. I wish he was a half-tick faster in his set, but he has superb balance, stays on top of his feet without leaning, does not buy into fakes, mirrors really well. In watching tape, he looks like a guy who is 6'3", 275 lbs. because of his agility. His issue is that he tends to give up too much ground on his pass set, such that the defender needs to push him back just 4' to interrupt the pass. He is excellent at picking up stunts. The interior of the Texas offensive line, however, was another story.

Dude has the tools. 6'6", 314 lbs., great pro day (4.84 40, an astounding 1.68 10-yard split, 36 reps). I think he could start today at RT, as his run blocking is so good, and turn into a really good LT in short order.
Oh yeah his athleticism is off the chart. A guy like that can pull, handle speed rushers, and overall protect your QB. If he was on the board I would want him over any RB available.

Oh yeah his athleticism is off the chart. A guy like that can pull, handle speed rushers, and overall protect your QB. If he was on the board I would want him over any RB available.

I hear 'ya, but once again, showing I have a future in politics because I change my mind more than Ogre changes underwear, I now have a very high grade on Etienne. I think he is the best RB in this draft, and a likely 1000 rushing yards, 750 pass receiving yards guy. I like him at 24.

Which is why I am secretly hoping he and Harris are gone by 24 and the Steelers go Cosmi or Humphrey.

I hear 'ya, but once again, showing I have a future in politics because I change my mind more than Ogre changes underwear, I now have a very high grade on Etienne. I think he is the best RB in this draft, and a likely 1000 rushing yards, 750 pass receiving yards guy. I like him at 24.

Which is why I am secretly hoping he and Harris are gone by 24 and the Steelers go Cosmi or Humphrey.
Yeah I have two sides as well the attractive wants then there is what would help our team the most. It comes down to LT/C/ and RB. But for my likes there is a few attractive LBers and possibly a corner that I like that might be sitting there. I am glad I don't have to decide as this year it very well could be a difficult decision at 24.

Yeah I have two sides as well the attractive wants then there is what would help our team the most. It comes down to LT/C/ and RB. But for my likes there is a few attractive LBers and possibly a corner that I like that might be sitting there. I am glad I don't have to decide as this year it very well could be a difficult decision at 24.
Yep.

And want to know why in my mocks, I frequently deal draft capital for extra picks in 2022? This draft. Instead of having five of the first 140 picks, imagine having five of the first 87.

Etienne, AND Dickerson, AND Eichenberg, AND Adebo, AND Werner? Done deal.

another thing to have in mind, if the Steelers draft a mid round C (3rd - 4th) they can still have him learn the ropes from the bench the first year if isn't fully ready, then you have Finney move to G if DeCastro isn't resigned the following season

The triumvirate laughs at your difficult decision. They have already narrowed their list to 3 candidates. One of whom would be a very reasonable pick at 1:24 and two of whom will leave heads scratching. They are now fully prepared to send Usain Bolt to the podium with their surprising first round selection. Katy bar the door. The hay is in the barn!

another thing to have in mind, if the Steelers draft a mid round C (3rd - 4th) they can still have him learn the ropes from the bench the first year if isn't fully ready, then you have Finney move to G if DeCastro isn't resigned the following season
With the kind of cap space they should have in 2022, I hope, if they don't resign DeCastro, that they can find a better replacement than Finney. He's good depth. But ....

Edit: Also, if they have no plans to resign DeCastro, they should be looking for a trade partner. At least get something in return other than a Comp pick.

With the kind of cap space they should have in 2022, I hope, if they don't resign DeCastro, that they can find a better replacement than Finney. He's good depth. But ....

Edit: Also, if they have no plans to resign DeCastro, they should be looking for a trade partner. At least get something in return other than a Comp pick.
they can always draft a decent Guard in mid to late rounds, Front Office tends to be pretty good at it but still that's the best position for Finney

We've got to get Finney and starting lineup out of the same sentence.