• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

More Americans 18-to-34 Now Live With Parents Than With Spouse

Spike

Reaction score
No wonder they can spend their lives protesting...

Four decades ago, in the mid-1970s, young American adults—in the 18-to-34 age bracket—were far more likely to be married and living with a spouse than living in their parents’ home. But that is no longer the case, according to a new study by the U.S. Census Bureau.

“There are now more young people living with their parents than in any other arrangement,” says the Census Bureau study. “What is more,” says the study, “almost 9 in 10 young people who were living in their parents’ home a year ago are still living there today, making it the most stable living arrangement.”

The Number 1 living arrangement today for Americans in the 18-to-34 age bracket, according to the Census Bureau, is to reside without a spouse in their parents’ home.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2017/demo/p20-579.pdf

$1200 a month rent on the $800 a month salary that SJW college degree gets them isn't doable.

DBS is correct. Too many kids are continuing to go to college when it no longer makes sense in this economy.

People need to stop going to college until schools are forced to reduce tuition to a reasonable rate due to low attendance numbers. The laws of supply and demand will ultimately resolve the issue. The state and federal government needs to stop making money easily available to young prospective students and colleges need to become a great deal more selective about who they let in. For example, there is no reason whatsoever that a student should be automatically accepted to a state college simply because he or she is a resident of that state and managed a 2.0 GPA average in high school. That's insane.

A well run program wouldn't let anyone in with less than a 3.5 GPA and your state of residence should have no beneficial bearing on your acceptance to a given school. Furthermore, schools should not be allowed to charge more tuition for an "out of state" student than they do for an "in state" student. That doesn't make any sense either. A student either is accepted to the school based on their academic merit or not.

And finally, enough with the athletic scholarship crap. No school should provide more in athletic scholarships than they do for academic scholarships. (And by that I mean the school personally, not national scholarships and grant programs. If the school provides a QB with a full-ride, they need to provide an academic full-ride for another student.) Shockingly, the number of athletic scholarships would plummet. You may see fewer cretins on the football field but the schools themselves might get back to being actual academic institutions. Maybe...

Who is it that's pushing these kids into a 4 year degree, only to have them working as a cashier at Giant Eagle?
IMO what this country needs is more practical education, trade schools, where you come out with a skill. The world will always need plumbers.

And I'm not immune from this, my daughter graduated with a degree in journalism and could do nothing with it, then went on and got an RN degree.

Reactions: MTC
I have mixed emotions about that stat. When my siblings and I came up, we could not wait to get out of the house and on our own. Living at home was not even a remotely desirable option after college. I got a late start with having kids, so mine will be going into that age over the next 5-10 years. I think I would like having a few more years with them at home, and if they want to do that, we would really enjoy it. With all the downside of helicopter parents, that I fully understand, I think its not so bad that a lot of kids these days don't feel like its a terrible purgatory to live with their parents. In all things, there are trade-offs.

There was something to be said for the multi-generational family home. Grandparents tending the younger generation provided great stability and well-be8ng.

Who is it that's pushing these kids into a 4 year degree, only to have them working as a cashier at Giant Eagle?
IMO what this country needs is more practical education, trade schools, where you come out with a skill. The world will always need plumbers.

And I'm not immune from this, my daughter graduated with a degree in journalism and could do nothing with it, then went on and got an RN degree.

High school teachers/faculty continue to push college. I think it's practical to have a HS diploma at least. My gripe is teach these kids actual skills. Reading something in a book is different than doing an actual thing. I think it's wise to get a certificate in plumbing, electrician etc than going to a 4 year money leeching institution. Luckily I left UGA with very little to owe on my student loans. Within a year coming back to NM, I was able to work and save, in process got approved for credit cards, built up credit, co-own a franchise business in rental cars. Meet people from all over, etc. Have my own house, mrs and a kiddo, baby sit the bro's. Weird saying that cause one is graduating high school now and the other will be in high school next year

I have mixed emotions about that stat. When my siblings and I came up, we could not wait to get out of the house and on our own. Living at home was not even a remotely desirable option after college. I got a late start with having kids, so mine will be going into that age over the next 5-10 years. I think I would like having a few more years with them at home, and if they want to do that, we would really enjoy it. With all the downside of helicopter parents, that I fully understand, I think its not so bad that a lot of kids these days don't feel like its a terrible purgatory to live with their parents. In all things, there are trade-offs.

It's helpful if you're starting off. I lived with my parents a couple years when I came back. Met the mrs cause she was a neighbor a few houses down. I did develop a bit of an independent type attitude living so far away. It never bothered to help around with bills etc. I think once we decided to become parents, I was like "ok let's get out on our own" and stuff worked out.

Just seem kids now are too demanding and want freebies just cause they went to college