• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Draft Horse

Man you aren’t going to like my DT rankings lol. I like Davis don’t get me wrong but he played 1/3 of the bulldogs snaps last year. Hell, he’s not even as good of a prospect as his teammate Travon Walker. Davis would be a great 0 technique NT to play on traditional defensive front plays. But the Steelers only use base and goal line 40% of the time. That means Davis is going to be off the field 60% of the time. And considering his conditioning that probably where you want him. I’d love to snag him later in the draft but by no means am I grabbing a 1/3 time player in round one. Especially since a guy like Phidarian Mathis is going on day two in mocks and imo he’d be a Tuitt replacement and play 3/4 of the defensive snaps. Or if you want a 0 technique there’s always Travis Jones who again is a day two prospect. Now if Davis is there in round two I’d be interested. But not at #20.

Man you aren’t going to like my DT rankings lol. I like Davis don’t get me wrong but he played 1/3 of the bulldogs snaps last year. Hell, he’s not even as good of a prospect as his teammate Travon Walker. Davis would be a great 0 technique NT to play on traditional defensive front plays. But the Steelers only use base and goal line 40% of the time. That means Davis is going to be off the field 60% of the time. And considering his conditioning that probably where you want him. I’d love to snag him later in the draft but by no means am I grabbing a 1/3 time player in round one. Especially since a guy like Phidarian Mathis is going on day two in mocks and imo he’d be a Tuitt replacement and play 3/4 of the defensive snaps. Or if you want a 0 technique there’s always Travis Jones who again is a day two prospect. Now if Davis is there in round two I’d be interested. But not at #20.
He's played 0,1, 2 and 3 in college. I don't believe this guy is a consensus first round pick if he plays as little as you say.

Definitely a big fan of taking Davis. We have needed the clog in the middle since Big Snack retired. I don't care what the pundits are saying. You need that anchor in the middle of the 3-4 D. Davis won't be a 3 down back in his 1st year. His conditioning is unfortunately terrible. He always looked to come off in games after a few plays. But, a year or two with NFL conditioning and he will be a major force for us even on passing downs to occupy double teams and collapse the pocket. I am one who thinks Tuitt is gone and even if he plays this year, his contract will be up and I see no way we will or should resign him. So, our DL is in major need of help with Tuitt, Heyward and Alualu all gone within 2 or 3 years and 2 of them will probably be gone after this year.

He's played 0,1, 2 and 3 in college. I don't believe this guy is a consensus first round pick if he plays as little as you say.
Yes, but that’s because the bulldogs traditionally play a 4-3 defensive front. He’s at his best playing the 0 tech and can use his size and strength to walk the center back or if the combo block him, which when he played 0 happens a lot, he was decent at splitting or stacking and shedding. The mocks I’ve been seeing has him going from 16-32 pretty consistently. I know mocks are far from perfect because a handful of consensus first round picks will fall out of the first and replaced with guys no one thought would go in round one. But lets say he and Phidarian Mathis are there in round 2. Who do you draft? Mathis I feel would be a better 5 tech with the ability to play 0 tech if needed. So a replacement for Tuitt. Davis I feel is a natural 0 tech with the ability to play 5 tech if needed. So a replacement for Alualu. Right now I feel Tuitt is gone and Alualu is coming back.

The talent level is there. The guy will be a run stopping difference maker. I think that might be worthy of a lower 1. But at 20 if all the cards are off the table I don't think it is a reach. I also think of how Alu impacted the run D. If you get a chance to upgrade the position you do it. If there is better value available you go that route. Which there could be an attractive T or WR there. Then that is the route I think you go. Just depends on how the domino's fall for me. But knowing how talent gets pushed up at QB I would be surprised if there isn't a higher value pick sitting there at 20.

I'm declaring my draft horse very early this year. A few things to share about it. I'm certainly not a guru. I watch limited college football. My son knows the players better than I do. I listen to others mostly and consider need, fit, availability when the Steelers draft and immediate impact. That said I'm four for the last five if you consider Claypool their first pick. My miss was Vander Esche who probably got slightly overdrafted and left the Steelers panicking and taking Edmunds.
This year's pick: Jordan Davis Georgia. He checks all of the boxes I use. Need: Obvious. Fit: day one starter and his ability to play multiple techs means he is not a one down guy or someone you have to scramble to rotate in sub packages. Immediate impact: see above. Availability: most mocks have him right in the 20 area.
I got sold on Davis in the national championship game. Bama refused to try any inside power. That's the number one Inside power team in my eyes and they refused to try. That's all I need to know. He will completely fix last years run debacle because you aren't getting edge vs. Watt or Highsmith. He will resurrect Devin Bush's career.
I was having beers with some football coach buddies and my main mentor said well he isn't doing that in the NFL. No but he owns his gap. He also forces double against a front that already has two guys you better consider doubling. Lastly he is explosive enough to collapse the pocket.
I strongly believe in up the middle. If you are strong up the middle tailback, QB, centre, Nose, Mack, safety you are a good football team. I don't believe there is a QB, I think the can get centre elsewhere, I think they want to try to save their current Mack and they have safety.
So there it is. Jordan Davis will look very good in XXXL Black and Gold.
If Davis has to move to much he is a two down player taking series off.. BAMA did that in the SEC championship game and he was a non factor. I think it was LB play that was better in NC pushing Young off his spot and rushing his throws. Davis is a mountain of a man and if he can keep LBs clean then I'm ok with it.

The talent level is there. The guy will be a run stopping difference maker. I think that might be worthy of a lower 1. But at 20 if all the cards are off the table I don't think it is a reach. I also think of how Alu impacted the run D. If you get a chance to upgrade the position you do it. If there is better value available you go that route. Which there could be an attractive T or WR there. Then that is the route I think you go. Just depends on how the domino's fall for me. But knowing how talent gets pushed up at QB I would be surprised if there isn't a higher value pick sitting there at 20.

I hope we are picking at 20 and not up at 10. That would mean a not so good things is about to happen.

Salute the nation

I hope we are picking at 20 and not up at 10. That would mean a not so good things is about to happen.

Salute the nation
The only way they trade up would to reach for a QB. And that would be a domino because of two factors. One they simply missed out on every QB of interest in free agency. Two because of missing out they realize Rudolph wouldn't help fill seats that was in the 80s percentage. Not ticket purchasing I am talking about fans not showing up and putting their arse in those seats. Very low for them last year we know Rudy won't increase that percentage. You know it they know it.

So that would be the scenario for a trade up. Free agency will dictate if that is even on the table.

Yes, but that’s because the bulldogs traditionally play a 4-3 defensive front. He’s at his best playing the 0 tech and can use his size and strength to walk the center back or if the combo block him, which when he played 0 happens a lot, he was decent at splitting or stacking and shedding. The mocks I’ve been seeing has him going from 16-32 pretty consistently. I know mocks are far from perfect because a handful of consensus first round picks will fall out of the first and replaced with guys no one thought would go in round one. But lets say he and Phidarian Mathis are there in round 2. Who do you draft? Mathis I feel would be a better 5 tech with the ability to play 0 tech if needed. So a replacement for Tuitt. Davis I feel is a natural 0 tech with the ability to play 5 tech if needed. So a replacement for Alualu. Right now I feel Tuitt is gone and Alualu is coming back.
You see any semblance between Mathis and Javon Hargrave?

The only way they trade up would to reach for a QB. And that would be a domino because of two factors. One they simply missed out on every QB of interest in free agency. Two because of missing out they realize Rudolph wouldn't help fill seats that was in the 80s percentage. Not ticket purchasing I am talking about fans not showing up and putting their arse in those seats. Very low for them last year we know Rudy won't increase that percentage. You know it they know it.

So that would be the scenario for a trade up. Free agency will dictate if that is even on the table.

Agree but also moving up (trade draft picks) would mean less draft capital to fill our needs.

Salute the nation

My god that scares me to read that Slash! If we have become the team to draft certain players just to put people in seats we have really hit bottom. Please please please god don’t let us be that pathetic excuse of an organization.

View attachment 8150
mine already looks good in Black

Is that really your horse Paul or your spirit world horse ?

My grandfather brought Black Percheron horses to his home stead in 1916 and once the neighbors seen the difference in work horse they were it didn't take long for all of them to rent his studd. Soon everyone had Percheron work horses.

All good out here in the real west.

Salute the nation

Is that really your horse Paul or your spirit world horse ?

My grandfather brought Black Percheron horses to his home stead in 1916 and once the neighbors seen the difference in work horse they were it didn't take long for all of them to rent his studd. Soon everyone had Percheron work horses.

All good out here in the real west.

Salute the nation
the company I work for is named Percheron...

I like Davis if he’s there and we draft him that would be awesome… I like walker his running mate on the outside I think it will come down to the combine as to which one of these guys go first between them but both a dogs we would be lucky to have either one!

What kind of work / business is it ? Just curious

Salute the nation
started as a Right of Way and Title company and has grown to include Environmental, Survey and Engineering for anything from pipelines to renewable energy projects, to DOT work or utility projects. The Percheron is the company logo

started as a Right of Way and Title company and has grown to include Environmental, Survey and Engineering for anything from pipelines to renewable energy projects, to DOT work or utility projects. The Percheron is the company logo

Thanks as they are beautiful Horses, especialy the "parade" ready black ones with all their silver studded harness attire.!!

GREAT Logo

Salute the nation