• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Draft Horse

You see any semblance between Mathis and Javon Hargrave?
No. Grave Digger imo was a penetrator and a classic 3 technique DT. Much like Aaron Donald. The Steelers ever trying to fit the square peg in the round hole forced him into playing 0 technique. He actually did a decent job when asked to do so. But because of his ability to play 3 technique the Steelers did have designed packages where Hargrave stayed on the field during passing downs. So he actually played close to 50% if the defensive snaps with us. I feel Davis and his conditioning will prevent him from playing that many snaps. He’s more of a John Henderson type player. Not as conditioned though. Phidarian Mathis is more of your Muhammad Wilkerson type player.

Is that really your horse Paul or your spirit world horse ?

My grandfather brought Black Percheron horses to his home stead in 1916 and once the neighbors seen the difference in work horse they were it didn't take long for all of them to rent his studd. Soon everyone had Percheron work horses.

All good out here in the real west.

Salute the nation
I wish that Shire was mine ........

My spirit world horse would be a Friesian (Troy P. look alike)
1646175605712.png
or a black Andalusian

1646175720818.png

I spent alot of time around horses growing up. One girlfriend was a very accomplished rider and my first wife worked with one of the top show jumpers in Canada before knee injuries. Three of my brothers have owned horses and my grandfather was a farrier in WWI shoeing horses and mules. I do alot of tree work for several large Standard Bred, Thoroughbred and Therapeutic Riding Centres in my area.
We have a couple farms nearby with several Black Percherons and another with Clydesdales... I was lucky enough to spend some time around the Budweiser Clydesdales in 2008. Next to the Steelers and trees ........ horses and dogs (dobes & Belgian Malinois) would have to be a couple of my favourite things in life.

Last edited:

View attachment 8159
or a black Andalusian

View attachment 8160

I spent alot of time around horses growing up. One girlfriend was a very accomplished rider and my first wife worked with one of the top show jumpers in Canada before knee injuries. Three of my brothers have owned horses and my grandfather was a farrier in WWI shoeing horses and mules. I do alot of tree work for several large Standard Bred, Thoroughbred and Therapeutic Riding Centres in my area.
We have a couple farms nearby with several Black Percherons and another with Clydesdales... I was lucky enough to spend some time around the Budweiser Clydesdales in 2008. Next to the Steelers and trees ........ horses and dogs (dobes & Belgian Malinois) would have to be a couple of my favourite things in life.
Lol the first pic does look like Troy

View attachment 8159
or a black Andalusian

View attachment 8160

Paul, you ROCK. You hit on several of my favorite things as well.

About 15 years ago I drove about 25 miles to this guy's real BIG pasture. I took my camera and hiked on out (he had given me permission) a ways looking for his herd of horses. He had around 125 all in one herd. I was in this rolling hills meadow like terraine. I was up on a slow slope and low and behold they came galloping around a meadow bend and over a slight rise then back down again,...... YEP just like in the movies except more horses. The thunder of the gallop, the smoothness of their gaite, the dominant ones leading and followers......

It was so magnificant that I was just awestruck and didn't even get a picture taken as I was entranced in just the beauty of that whole display. If I'd died at that moment I would have been happy.

I did track and find them later in a resting herd state. I was able to gently get in and amongst them and get some great photos. These weren't wild horses, all were broke and rideable but when wintered they don't get much human contact and do get a little testee. I used caution and built trust as I proceeded.

There is nothing like a galloping herd of horses, the one thing the O'l West really Misses.

PeAce brother

Salute the nation

While I agree with you, does Tomlin see it that way? I just do not understand his seeming reluctance to have a true nose tackle. "Well, he will see limited snaps because of sub packages." Well, screw that. Play him in those sub packages. It isn't like the sub packages as presently constituted are setting the world on fire.

I'm hoping maybe the hiring of Flores will change some of the thinking. Belechick always liked the big nose, maybe that has rubbed off on Flores. I didn't pay much attention o how Flores constituted his line in Miami, though.
So after he runs a 40 3 tenths off a reasonable wide receiver time what sub packages can't he play on. The kid will get gassed. He is enormous. But you do not have to take him out by package. Clearly. Unfortunately after today he gets overdrafted. Probably just outside of 10.

So after he runs a 40 3 tenths off a reasonable wide receiver time what sub packages can't he play on. The kid will get gassed. He is enormous. But you do not have to take him out by package. Clearly. Unfortunately after today he gets overdrafted. Probably just outside of 10.
He has a lot of ability. Have him lose some pounds. Have him workout with Cam/Alu that will get him conditioned. I see that getting gassed a temporary issue that can be rectified.

He has a lot of ability. Have him lose some pounds. Have him workout with Cam/Alu that will get him conditioned. I see that getting gassed a temporary issue that can be rectified.
This is how I honestly feel about this Slash. Talk about trade ups. Just simply consider it this way. You could double him or Heyward or both with a back who might be a speed bump but that leaves Watt single. How the **** is that working for you?

Does he have to cut.? I don't think so. He is running the 40 in a time of a man 1/2 to 2/3 the size of him. About 2/3 of the plays are nothing stamina wise

This is how I honestly feel about this Slash. Talk about trade ups. Just simply consider it this way. You could double him or Heyward or both with a back who might be a speed bump but that leaves Watt single. How the **** is that working for you?
You can mid tier your QB, attack your Oline and CB in free agency and all of a sudden your team is at least competitive. Competitive again when it matters.

Mike let that new coach, coach.

Free agent approach doesn't prevent you for trading up for a QB next year. Probably the most realistic approach and hopefully they don't overthink it and fix the obvious.

They have had a wave of bad decisions they can semi right the ship by making some good decisions.

I wish they would have already locked in that new GM so he could start the better decision process. Get that circulating.

I mean **** we can't have anyone tweaking the process early because they make so many good decisions, who needs help right?

Does he have to cut.? I don't think so. He is running the 40 in a time of a man 1/2 to 2/3 the size of him. About 2/3 of the plays are nothing stamina wise
Nothing drastic just get him NFL conditioned to be able to handle three downs. Because I think he has the talent to be effective three downs. I said this in the beginning of the draft talking process you get him on the team. It turns the run D into a strength again. Alu went down and that impacted that unit I think moreso than Tuitt being out. Who is a good run blocker too in his own right. But Davis upgrades Alu and I feel that dominoes the defense. First by demanding an extra body in there. Which frees up those soft I can't get off the block ILbers to do what they do best flow to the ball. Like you mentioned there is Watt and Heyward too, what an attractive trio.

Then being more tight against the run you force teams to pass more. Which let's your OLBers pin their ears back and rush more.

Which also gives you the option to drop more effectively into coverage knowing your run D won't get gashed.

Last edited:
Nothing drastic just get him NFL conditioned to be able to handle three downs. Because I think he has the talent to be effective three downs. I said this in the beginning of the draft talking process you get him on the team. It turns the run D into a strength again. Alu went down and that impacted that unit I think moreso than Tuitt being out. Who is a good run blocker too in his own right. But Davis upgrades Alu and I feel that dominoes the defense. First by demanding an extra body in there. Which frees up those soft I can't get off the block ILbers to do what they do best flow to the ball. Like you mentioned there is Watt and Heyward too, what an attractive trio.

Then being more tight against the run you force teams to pass more. Which let's your OLBers pin their ears back and rush more.

Which also gives you the option to drop more effectively into coverage knowing your run D won't get gashed.
I'd love for Davis to be there but after yesterday he won't be.

I'd love for Davis to be there but after yesterday he won't be.
We'll see. I think he could be gone but I could see him picked in the 15-25 range. I definitely feel he is solid value if there.

We'll see. I think he could be gone but I could see him picked in the 15-25 range. I definitely feel he is solid value if there.

What if that super fast #1 WR is there.......................... Davis of him ?

I believe in the trenches but......

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
Would be a good problem to have. I probably would go WR if he was a true number one type. I like the UConn NT if available in 2.

View attachment 8159
or a black Andalusian

View attachment 8160

That's awesome, Paul. I previously posted pictures of our two boys that wife and I own, shown here eating breakfast in their pasture:

Boys-eating-breakfast.jpg

Apache on the left, Cookie on the right. Apache is my boy, Cookie my wife's. Just awesome.

P.S. Place I used to ride before moving had a Percheron that I rode for about six months, named Sequoia. Until you see one, you cannot appreciate how big they are.

Jimmy has a few years on him so no ground mounting if possible - mounting block. To get on Sequoia, the barn had a special mounting block that was about 4 feet off the ground.

Salute the nation
well if it was on first pick.com, that situation is easy. trade back 1 pick get an extra 1st rounder in 2023 and a second rounder in 2022 and pick the one that is left. if neither is picked, repeat. we could pick up 3-4 2nd roundersand still get one of them

That's awesome, Paul. I previously posted pictures of our two boys that wife and I own, shown here eating breakfast in their pasture:

Apache on the left, Cookie on the right. Apache is my boy, Cookie my wife's. Just awesome.
Unfortunately Steeltime you will have to rename Apache to Commander and in other news Dick Van Dyke has to change his name to Penis Truck Lesbian.

P.S. Place I used to ride before moving had a Percheron that I rode for about six months, named Sequoia. Until you see one, you cannot appreciate how big they are.

Jimmy has a few years on him so no ground mounting if possible - mounting block. To get on Sequoia, the barn had a special mounting block that was about 4 feet off the ground.

They have a deep seated work ethic in them as well as that is one of the things that helped make the the work horse of choice for many a farmers in the horse work days..

Could horse back ride one all day and never wear it out.

Salute the nation

Awesome pics ........thanks for sharing
What part of the country do you reside in ....if you don't mind me asking ?

Unfortunately Steeltime you will have to rename Apache to Commander and in other news Dick Van Dyke has to change his name to Penis Truck Lesbian.
Great minds think alike .........or we are just getting used to all the changes in the world...

I was going ask the same question about name change to the Commander.... and if it was still OK to discuss your wife's Cookie on a public forum...........lol